I think I ate too much.

Breakfast: 4oz drinkable yogurt.

Lunch: Cream off of a cup of Subway's soup.

Splurge: 14oz (yikers!) banana shake from Sonic.

Dinner: Sauce off a bowl of chili at a church Christmas party.

And, I feel a little miserable. I don't know if it is eater's guilt from eating after a week of clear liquids or if I just plan ate to much. What do you think? I guess I'm having a hard time listening to my body. I think the social eating is going to be the hardest for me. I really wasn't even hungry when I got there, but I grabbed a bowl of Chili anyways.

Kristy

I don't think you ate too much..except for the milkshake. When I was on liquids for 21 days I allowed myself 2 of those high fat/calorie treats. It was such a treat to suck the whole thing down! Just remember even a SMALL milkshake has around 700 calories. You just feel bad about the shake I am sure because everything else sounds fine! Don't stress over it..just wait until next week to have another shake! LOL

You are gonna be fine!!! :P

Thanks girls. Milkshake guilt! I told myself I would have one during week two and one during week three. Next week... I may just stick with the fudge-sicle that I was planning on eating until I drove my car into Sonic's drive-thru. Is the reason for no straw because of gas issues? I haven't had many gas issues except in the form of painful hiccups. But, I continually try to be conscientious of the possibility so I don't get myself into a bind.

Kristy

Kristy, I love your enthusiasm! I appreciate you posting what you ate. It does give me a good idea for a daily menu. By the way thank you for starting the "Roll Call".

How fun, to see who we are and what we are all about. Thanks Kristy

PS Keep up the good work. (you know I am following you to glean more ideas.)

Keep the good ideas going. Sometimes it is like everyone runs out of things to say.

Lisa, Denise, Jazzy Jude, Kim, and many more, it would be great if you could post an exact menu for one day just to give us newbies a good example of what it is all about.

Anne

Kristy, I love your enthusiasm! I appreciate you posting what you ate. I does give me a good idea for a menu. By the way thank for starting the "Roll Call".

How fun, to see who we are and what we are all about. Thanks Kristy

PS Keep up the good work. (you know I am following)

Aww... you are sweet. Thanks! You know, there are moments when I think... what in the world have I done, and I feel a little panicky. Like tonight when I saw the chips and HOMEMADE SALSA on the table. And, I just sat and sucked the juice off a bowl of chili. But you know what? After walking away from the chips and homemade salsa, it made me realize that when I do get to have them... I can eat just a couple, enjoy them, be satisfied and walk away. Normally... I probably would have eaten a full bag of chips all by myself. Sad... but, oh so true. The "roll call" is kinda fun isn't it? I'm enjoying getting to know people a bit more. And... for the record, beware of "milkshake guilt!" It sucks!

Get this. I live in a place where it is very difficult to buy a milkshake! Let alone fast food. We have a Subway and that is it. So avoiding the "Milkshake guilt" won't be problem, it will be the chocolate in the grocery store.

The selection here for any protein powder or drinks is very slim here. That is why I really appreciate it when some of you name brand names. I go hunting for specific items knowing that they have work for others.

Just for example: I am leaving Saturday to go 2 1/2 hours to the nearest Costco. I am hoping to pick up some items there. Sunday morning I fly out to TJ. Yeah!!!!

Anne

Get this. I live in a place where it is very difficult to buy a milkshake! Let alone fast food. We have a Subway and that is it. So avoiding the "Milkshake guilt" won't be problem, it will be the chocolate in the grocery store.

The selection here for any protein powder or drinks is very slim here. That is why I really appreciate it when some of you name brand names. I go hunting for specific items knowing that they have work for others.

Just for example: I am leaving Saturday to go 2 1/2 hours to the nearest Costco. I am hoping to pick up some items there. Sunday morning I fly out to TJ. Yeah!!!!

Anne

Anne,

I don't handle protein drinks very well. I have texture issues... big time. A friend told me about a website to order protein drinks from. I'll PM you the website and the brand tomorrow. I don't have it at my finger tips right now. You might have to remind me! Anywho... I can tolerate them. And, they are the fourth brand that I tried. I wasted a lot of money on protein drinks that are just sitting in my fridge. Your day is almost here! Yeah! I'm excited for you.

Kristy

Breakfast: 4oz drinkable yogurt.

Lunch: Cream off of a cup of Subway's soup.

Splurge: 14oz (yikers!) banana shake from Sonic.

Dinner: Sauce off a bowl of chili at a church Christmas party.

And, I feel a little miserable. I don't know if it is eater's guilt from eating after a week of clear liquids or if I just plan ate to much. What do you think? I guess I'm having a hard time listening to my body. I think the social eating is going to be the hardest for me. I really wasn't even hungry when I got there, but I grabbed a bowl of Chili anyways.

Kristy

Kristy...also make sure you are taking in no more than a 1/2 cups of soup at a time. That milk shake equals to 3 and 1/2 meals worth. Again, measure out your portions and drink/eat that first and then wait and do another 1/2 cup. You might have felt miserable because you probably continued drinking that milk shake until it was gone?

Kristy...also make sure you are taking in no more than a 1/2 cups of soup at a time. That milk shake equals to 3 and 1/2 meals worth. Again, measure out your portions and drink/eat that first and then wait and do another 1/2 cup. You might have felt miserable because you probably continued drinking that milk shake until it was gone?

Oh boy... did I ever! Lesson learned! Thankfully... I didn't gain. And, I feel better today and have NO desire to go buy another milkshake at the moment.

Kristy

Jazzy! Half a cup of soup? I eat the whole can right now...although it takes me a long time. I assumed I could get it all down now cause I don't have any fluid in my band but that once I had a fill I would "fill" up faster. Is the whole can too much? Here's my typical diet and I'm on day ten of post-op...one day ahead of Kristy I believe.

6am- coffee with 1%milk

7am- can of slim fast and a chewable multivitamin

10am-tea or broth with benefibre mixed in

1pm- a big bowl of soup I savor for half an hour! Usually, a green Gardennay soup (asparagus, brocoli, spring leek) 500 ml box

4pm- tea time again (with more benefibre)

7pm- Yop drinkable yogurt if I'm hungry but I have skipped dinner twice cause I wasn't

What do you think? I'm tracking on Sparkpeople and I'm not reaching my daily calorie and nutrient goals but I'm just not hungry and I have lots of energy and I'm losing weight so I'm going with it for now.

Sabrina:)

Oh boy... did I ever! Lesson learned! Thankfully... I didn't gain. And, I feel better today and have NO desire to go buy another milkshake at the moment.

Kristy

Anne

Hi Anne,

I mentioned this once before, but worth mentioning again (I hope). You said you also favor Atkins protein shakes, the response I had on this board was they were as good as any. Right now GNC.com has buy 1 get 1 free. And if you spend $75 you get free shipping. I ended up paying .87 cents each (usually they are $2 in the grocery store.

Yes, you live quite a ways out there.....I live in Oregon and had to google Enterprise. If you go to Portland to see Dr Fitzpatrick, let me know when( I have my first fill on 1/23 with her). I travel to Portland a couple times a month (friends and family live there), we can meet for a cup of coffee....or broth!

I will be flying out of Bend tonight at 7pm, change plans in Las Vegas (and to pick up my mom), we will arrive in San Diego tonight at 10:45pm for surgery tomorrow . Mom and I are both super excited to start our new journey together!

I'll keep you all posted this weekend!

All my best!

Cindy

Jazzy! Half a cup of soup? I eat the whole can right now...although it takes me a long time. I assumed I could get it all down now cause I don't have any fluid in my band but that once I had a fill I would "fill" up faster. Is the whole can too much? Here's my typical diet and I'm on day ten of post-op...one day ahead of Kristy I believe.

6am- coffee with 1%milk

1pm- a big bowl of soup I savor for half an hour! Usually, a green Gardennay soup (asparagus, brocoli, spring leek) 500 ml box

7pm- Yop drinkable yogurt if I'm hungry but I have skipped dinner twice cause I wasn't

What do you think? I'm tracking on Sparkpeople and I'm not reaching my daily calorie and nutrient goals but I'm just not hungry and I have lots of energy and I'm losing weight so I'm going with it for now.

There is no fluid limit in your 21 day post op time frame. Most people end up not drinking enough and get dehydrated. This is not a calorie counting time either. You need as much fluid as you can get and your diet above doesn't seem like you are getting enough fluid at all. You should basically be sipping throughout most of the day.

When I was first banded, I was vomitting a lot and it was from being dehydrated and not drinking enough. See, contrary to popular opinion, the majority of a normal persons water intake comes from food. In fact, about 80% of your water comes that way. So since you are not eating food you can see how you would need to up your fluid intake to make up for missing all the fluid in your foods.

Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Romero and Dr. Martinez all told me the same thing, you need to be slowly sipping some sort of fluid throughout the entire day. They told me that 3 bottles of gatorade and 3 bottles of diluted applejuice and another 3 cups of broth and then several bottles of water were a good gesstimate of how much is needed during the first 21 days. Now, I am not positive whether or not, that was an individual thing or meant as a bases for everyone, but I do know that there is no limit on fluids during the 21 day time period.

6am- coffee with 1%milk

Sabrina, just remember you just had major surgery and you and your body are trying to adjust to your band, so why pushed the capacity of your new pouch and risk the chance to stretching out your band?

During the first 21 days post op, I drink no more than 1/2 cup (4 oz) at a time, instead of 3/4 cup (6 oz), throughout the day, as many times as I want between the soups and water. This doesn't mean to constantly be eating and drinking either. Give some 'air time' between eating and drinking too. Also, there is NO calorie counting during this time, until you start eating solid food.

Starting on day 22, you will be on solid foods and that is when you would do the 3 meals a day with the portion control of 2-3 oz of meat/poultry/fish, 1/4 cup veggie/fruit, and 1/4 cup of grain/starches and no more than 1200 calories a day. If you do regular exercises daily, then increase your calories to 1500.

TIP: TREAT YOURSELF! I have a real nice small, COMFY, coffee cup and THAT is what I use for my hot liquids such as broth, cocoa, tea, coffee, etc. At WalMart, I purchased a few Corelle's SMALL deep berry dish/bowls (8 oz) and I use this for my soups, chili, and stews. In addition to the berry dish, I got a few of the sandwich plates and this is what I serve my food on. All this to help me MEASURE my food portions. Yes, I use the measuring cups EVERY day, for EVERY meal. This helps me stay of tract and focus on choosing wisely what I eat.

In my opinion, the Slim Fast can is 11oz, which equals to 2-1/2 servings. When you have your 'big bowl of soup, how big is your bowl? If it is more than 4 oz worth of soup, it's too much. The same with the Yoplait drinkable yogurt, which is nicely thick, drink half now and the other half later on.

)If you are hungry, then you need to take either the Metamucil capsules or the chewable Fiber Choice ~ Weight Management (Dr. Miranda suggested either for the preop diet), and take (1) at 10 am and (1) at 3pm for curbing your hunger pangs.

Hope this helps...

I've decided that I will STAY CLEAR of any fast food places! I have this thing where I decide, "Ok, I'm going to go to McDonalds and get a salad" Then once I'm at the drive-thru that all changes! So, no more since my surgery for any reason. That is one of the pacts I have made to myself as I am working on my plan with Overeaters Anonymous! Just take that temptation completely away!

Now, I'll have to talk to my car about not taking me there without my permission.....hahahaha

Cindy! My 20 year reunion is in June, so that also gave me a push to get the surgery as soon as I could. I can't wait o shop for my outfit!

I've decided that I will STAY CLEAR of any fast food places! I have this thing where I decide, "Ok, I'm going to go to McDonalds and get a salad" Then once I'm at the drive-thru that all changes! So, no more since my surgery for any reason. That is one of the pacts I have made to myself as I am working on my plan with Overeaters Anonymous! Just take that temptation completely away!

Now, I'll have to talk to my car about not taking me there without my permission.....hahahaha

Cindy! My 20 year reunion is in June, so that also gave me a push to get the surgery as soon as I could. I can't wait o shop for my outfit!

Is there really an issue of stretching your pouch if you are truly sticking to the liquid diet? They should go through the band just like water... or am I way off base here?

Kristy

Here is what Dr. Miranda just wrote back about my diet....

Liquids are unlimited it is just a matter of goving your band an oprtunity to heel in its place.Dr. Miranda

Is there really an issue of stretching your pouch if you are truly sticking to the liquid diet? They should go through the band just like water... or am I way off base here?

Kristy

Here is what Dr. Miranda just wrote back about my diet....

Liquids are unlimited it is just a matter of goving your band an oprtunity to heel in its place.Dr. Miranda

Unlimited but chosen wisely for caloric purposes (even though you're not really counting calories)...

I'm sure you pouch is FINE. don't worry.

Kristy

If you are sticking with the liquid diet and stay within the measured guideline amount ~ no problem. The soup would adhere to the stomach wall lining a little longer as they are thicker in consistency, where as pure liquids would go through faster. You may risk stretching your pouch if you overdo the amount you drink all at once, but not too worry too much on this. I am sure you are not guzzling a lot of soups and water all the time...just 'practice' now with the soups, your portion control and measure accordingly. When you get to the solid food stage, you don't want to panic and then overeat, which could put you at risk to stretch your pouch.

Basically, eat smaller portions, chew real good, and eat slowly...

It's recommened to drink 8 8oz glasses of water per day. Of course with a band you have to pace that out over the course of your day.

As for the milkshake-measure it out and use a spoon.

Soups-measure them out.

This is your learning time, learn to measure, learn to pace, learn from your band. It will tell you when things aren't right.

Hi Anne,

I mentioned this once before, but worth mentioning again (I hope). You said you also favor Atkins protein shakes, the response I had on this board was they were as good as any. Right now GNC.com has buy 1 get 1 free. And if you spend $75 you get free shipping. I ended up paying .87 cents each (usually they are $2 in the grocery store.

Yes, you live quite a ways out there.....I live in Oregon and had to google Enterprise. If you go to Portland to see Dr Fitzpatrick, let me know when( I have my first fill on 1/23 with her). I travel to Portland a couple times a month (friends and family live there), we can meet for a cup of coffee....or broth!

I will be flying out of Bend tonight at 7pm, change plans in Las Vegas (and to pick up my mom), we will arrive in San Diego tonight at 10:45pm for surgery tomorrow . Mom and I are both super excited to start our new journey together!

All my best!

Cindy

How exciting to be leaving tonight. That would be extra special to be doing at the same time as your mother. Have a sage trip and thanks for telling about the GNC special. Meeting over a cup of broth in Portland sounds like a good idea. Let me know how it goes for you. Take Care, Anne

Whoo Hooo!!! You will do great and they will take excellent care of you. Be sure and let us know how you are when you are up and on your feet!!!

Hi Anne,

All my best!

Cindy