HELLO ALL!!!!

Well let me start by saying that my name is Fabiola (fabi) for short I live in South Florida, I have 4 kids a 10yr old 8,3, and 1 and I been married to my hubby for 6 looong years lol, and my story like most of all is that my insurance does not cover the surgery so I have to pay out of my pocket and thats how I ended up here after much research I decided to go with Dr, Ortiz and after reading what you guys have all said about Dr, Ortic and the center I feel like I made a good choice. Well I can also say that Iam pretty much on this alone my hubby and mother keep trying to talk me out from going to Mexico to get surgery but I know iam making a good decision by getting the lapband and I feel confident that everything will go well you guys that post comments give me that confidence that I made a good choice :D so thank you for that, also I would like to make some new friends on here and get advice from people that have gone or are going thru what I will be going thru O by the way Iam scheduled for March 16 so if anyone will be at the occ around that time please let me know so that I can have someone to talk to and know someone when I go because I will be traveling alone :mellow:, I have tried many other dieats and yes i loose weight but I end up gaining the weight I lost and more so at this point Iam tired of waisting my money and strenth on dieats that dont work atleast not for me, so this is like my last resource and Iam really scared but anxious to get the lap band because I really want and need to loose weight Iam on my highest weight right now at 280 pounds and iam just tired of haveing no energy to play with my kids and havent joint pains so lapband here I come :D well I already made this post a little long so Ill stop typing now and hopfully I get some new friends, thank you for reading

Well let me start by saying that my name is Fabiola (fabi) for short I live in South Florida, I have 4 kids a 10yr old 8,3, and 1 and I been married to my hubby for 6 looong years lol, and my story like most of all is that my insurance does not cover the surgery so I have to pay out of my pocket and thats how I ended up here after much research I decided to go with Dr, Ortiz and after reading what you guys have all said about Dr, Ortic and the center I feel like I made a good choice. Well I can also say that Iam pretty much on this alone my hubby and mother keep trying to talk me out from going to Mexico to get surgery but I know iam making a good decision by getting the lapband and I feel confident that everything will go well you guys that post comments give me that confidence that I made a good choice :D so thank you for that, also I would like to make some new friends on here and get advice from people that have gone or are going thru what I will be going thru O by the way Iam scheduled for March 16 so if anyone will be at the occ around that time please let me know so that I can have someone to talk to and know someone when I go because I will be traveling alone :mellow:, I have tried many other dieats and yes i loose weight but I end up gaining the weight I lost and more so at this point Iam tired of waisting my money and strenth on dieats that dont work atleast not for me, so this is like my last resource and Iam really scared but anxious to get the lap band because I really want and need to loose weight Iam on my highest weight right now at 280 pounds and iam just tired of haveing no energy to play with my kids and havent joint pains so lapband here I come :D well I already made this post a little long so Ill stop typing now and hopfully I get some new friends, thank you for reading

Hi Fabi and welcome! :-h I got support from my husband but did not get the support from my mother and father. My husband and I had a bet going as to how long it would take for my mom to change her mind. I figured once she started seeing me drop weight and she was still struggling, it wouldn't be too much time before she would be jealous of the attention. That's my mom. It was a surprise to both my husband and I when I got home from Mexico that within 3 days she said that if this new diet she was on didn't work she too would be calling and making an appt. Imagine that!! My father still is reluctant, he suggested that I stay on the pre-op diet until I lose all my weight, then I wouldn't have to pay so much. Way cheaper in Mexico than here in the states. I told him I could do it for a short period of time, not long term.

You are doing the right thing, remember this is a tool for you, not the answer. You still have to work with it. But don't be nervous about Mexico, the Dr's and staff are absolutely awesome!! The hotel is very nice and comfortable, plan ahead as to bringing the necessary things for after surgery. You can read about everyones experiences down there also. You will not regret it!!Only wish you had done it sooner!

Firecracker(changing my screen name) :yahoo:

Hello Fabi,

Congrats and welcome.

I was on my own as well and I can honestly say its one of the best decisions I ever made. I also went without support and on my own to get my band - I knew in my heart after much research that this was the right program for me - I was about your weight when I started and I’m done with my journey now and working on maintenance. It’s a great experience – I also think it wasn’t a bad thing that I had to own this by myself – I owned it completely and there was no way I was going to fail (and the band makes it easier to succeed) and a funny think happens, everyone jumped on the “band” wagon once I started loosing, isn’t that how it always works.

All the best!

Lisa

H Fabi and Welcome to this forum! You won't regret your decision at all. I was banded on Oct 8 at OCC and Dr O did my surgery. The whole staff there are totally awesome. I am going this coming Saturday there at OCC for my 2nd fill. I live just 20 minutes from them...so I am one of the lucky ones who gets to see the drs and the staff often. :D

Although I had my hubby with me, I had to do the band program myself and like Lisa says, I own this wonderful tool, the band. It is amazing the wonderful changes I thus far have learned; eating healthier, no cravings for soda pop, no bingeing between salty and sugary foods, exercising more, etc. I am so focused towards this band life that everything is becoming second nature to me. Everything takes a different approach as I look into things and my success is just around the bend.

Browse through this post in the differnt forum sections to help answer some of your questions and concerns. Read your booklet when you receive them from OCC. If you need more info, come back and post your questions and we will be glady to assist you.

Keep a journal. This would help you keep tract of your success. On a single page, I write down what I ate for the day, mark of my water intake, write down small reachable goals and rewrite as you achieve them, and what exercises I've done. If it was a good day, mark a star on the upper right corner for future use in case I needed a change or something that we really worked for me on that day.

Also, soon there will be a new post for March surgeries and fills appts and you can post your surgery on there. Soon other prospects will post their messages and hopefully you will meet up with some. Good luck!

Fabi, I wish you success in this weight loss journey of yours and keep us posted on your progress ~ you are going to have an amazing ride!

Guest CaraMBA09

Do not let anyone talk you out of this. I have finally hit my "sweet spot" and lost more weight in a week than I did on Weight Snatchers($$)...er...WW.......in 6 months.

It may take you a few fills OR a simple as one..but you will LOVE it

I am SO thankful that I have Dr. ORTIZ.

This is the BEST thing I could have ever done!

good luck to you...

PS

DO YOURSELF a favor and READ past posts.

For some reason the same questions are asked over, over, over, over, over, over, over, over, over, der...over again.

Welcome! Like has been said before, take time to read through old posts - go back several months and you will find a lot of great advice. Utilize this forum for any questions, concerns or anything else you need.

You will not regret this decision at all - I know I don't!!!

It is really important that you get support from your spouse. This is a person that you will need to lean on when things might seem too hard to over come. You dont want him to say I told you so everytime you comment about bad you are feeling. Dont get me wrong it will not all be bad but there are struggles dont kid yourself!! I traveled alone to Mexico and I didnt feel once threaten or uncomfortable about safety. Everyone you meet will treat you with the upmost respect! Honestly. Any questions just ask or search past posts.

Good Luck.

Kim

It is really important that you get support from your spouse. This is a person that you will need to lean on when things might seem too hard to over come. You dont want him to say I told you so everytime you comment about bad you are feeling. Dont get me wrong it will not all be bad but there are struggles dont kid yourself!! I traveled alone to Mexico and I didnt feel once threaten or uncomfortable about safety. Everyone you meet will treat you with the upmost respect! Honestly. Any questions just ask or search past posts.

Good Luck.

Kim

Kim...my husband gave me the band gift himself. He paid for it! He supports me 150% and he is very much involve of what I can eat, etc. He also encourages and cheers me on. When he does that, I jump 2 steps forward! I beam up so brightly!

During my first 21 stages, he also cooked and helped measured out my food/drinks. He is very dedicated along with me with this band. I've a band buddy for life, in my own home who wants to see me be happy and I can't tell you how it really feels and what it means to me for him to be by my side.

I understand completely. My husband is a large support system for me. No one in my family knows I had the surgery in Oct. I think i'll keep it that way. The first few weeks were hard to keep it from them and now it doesnt even cross my mind to tell. Good Luck on your journey. There are many highs and lows, but it is a journey worth taking.