Laproscopic (sp) vs. open surgery

I just heard fron a friend who said she just read somewhere that several people who have had lap band surgery at the OCC have gone in thinking they were going to have laproscopic surgery but due to complications they end up having to be cut open to complete the surgery. Have any of you heard about this? What kind of complication would require this? Would it then cost more? Just curious.

SheRee

Not true! Not sure where you got this information. The "lap" in lap band is laproscopic. Dr. Ortiz says the band is designed to be placed this way and if it can't... then the band shouldn't be placed. He doesn't do an open procedure... period! If you would like to speak with the doctor directly, let me know and I'll schedule a phone consult, he'd be happy to discuss it. :D

I've heard of this happening in Canada but never by Dr Ortiz. Apparently it is sometimes easier for the doctor to complete as an open surgery. Lori would know what Dr Ortiz's history is. I think that any doctor who has to complete as an open surgery likely isn't as experienced as Dr Ortiz.

I just had my surgery on Monday and everything went well. I was up and about almost immediately. Travelling home yesterday was a bit of a challenge, but mostly because of the weather (pooring rain in TJ and SanDiego and snow in Vancouver).

Louise

Not true! Not sure where you got this information. The "lap" in lap band is laproscopic. Dr. Ortiz says the band is designed to be placed this way and if it can't... then the band shouldn't be placed. He doesn't do an open procedure... period! If you would like to speak with the doctor directly, let me know and I'll schedule a phone consult, he'd be happy to discuss it. :D

Thanks Lori. It was all hear-say so I wasn't really worried. I just wondered if it happened at the OCC. I'm excited about my upcoming surgery and have total confidence in all of the staff at the OCC.

SheRee

Thanks Lori. It was all hear-say so I wasn't really worried. I just wondered if it happened at the OCC. I'm excited about my upcoming surgery and have total confidence in all of the staff at the OCC.

SheRee

SheRee...like we all say, nothing but FIRST CLASS at OCC! They ROCK! The staff are so amazing and I can only speak for myself here, but I never once had ANY issues in signing me up (with George), preparing my paperwork (with Lori), preop diet (with Dr. Miranda), traveling to and fro to the clinic (with Francisco the driver), welcoming and prepping for surgery (Mama Ortiz, Dr. Miranda, the Dr. EKG - sorry, name escapes me a the moment), the surgery (sigh!...with Dr O and his team, which includes Dr. Feel Good!), the recovery (with Carmelita and Jose), making inquiries and appts (with Gloria), doling my fill (Dr. So). I know I am missing someone...but I think you get the picture. EVERYONE is great there and you have no worries. EXCELLENT surgical team!