Merry Christmas

As 2008 comes to an end, I have many feelings about this year and what I have to look forward to in the coming years……

I grew up thinking food was supposed to make me feel good, I don’t know where I got that. I don’t hold any one person responsible except for myself. Food was not to fuel my body, it was not for my health, it was for ‘my enjoyment’. When I would have a bad day or when I would celebrate occasions, I would run to the nearest fast food joint or try to decide which restaurant to book a reservation. My life was centered around food, and it was always full of empty promises, one leaving me full of guilt after indulging & 1lb heavier. As I have gotten older, I have gotten better with my eating, but like I said, I AM OLDER. It caught up with me. After losing my Aunt 7 years ago to gastric bypass surgery, I never thought a weight loss procedure would be an option for me. After all, my family was scared to death at the mention of surgery and of course one of weight loss. I knew I had to make a change, a drastic one. So, I did. To top it off, I went to Mexico! People thought I was nuts! lol Some people don’t understand, may think of this as the easy way out, or me just being plain lazy. I really don’t care about those opinions or views. ( I probably think they are just as dumb for being so closed minded ) I am so happy and confident about this choice.

I never thought in a million years that I would feel the way I do this Holiday Season. I feel a sense of pride that I have never known and it all began with hearing a young girls story on Oprah. My family can see a difference in me (already) and I still have a long way to go.

As I write this and reflect on the 35 lbs that are gone forever, I have to give thanks to my Doctor, my friend, Dr. Ariel Ortiz. This man is changing lives at an enormous rate. I don’t see how he has the energy to do all he does, but, he does! All the while having his Mom there with him at his clinic making us all so comfortable and it truly making it an “at home experience.” There are so many special people at the OCC that there are too many to mention, besides, I wouldn’t want to leave anyone out. :)

From my heart to yours, I wish you all a Merry Christmas. Thank you Dr. Ortiz! I know you operate on many of us, and the tens per day turn in to thousands and it is impossible for you remember all of us. We remember you, and your wonderful staff for changing our lives, 1 pound at a time. You are all so special.

I hope you have a blessed and memorable time with your famililes.

Dana~

thLoveJoy-christmas_glitter_graphic.gif

Dana:

I think that your message was so lovely and heart-felt. I don't think I can put my feelings into much better words than what you already said. You look FABULOUS, by the way!! You can tell such a huge difference. You should be so proud of yourself Who gives a sh** what anyone else thinks! You made a decision that changed your life forever and because of your strength and courage to do that, probably with little to no support from your friends/family, you will be around longer to enjoy your time with those people.

My situation was similar to yours. No one in my family ever had WLS, but they always told me I needed to get control over what I ate, exercise more, blah blah. I did all those things SO many times. I lost 130 lbs in college, gained it all back. Lost 50 lbs here and there, 30 lbs, 40 lbs... ALWAYS gained it back without fail. I have been an emotional eater my entire life. When I had no friends in grade school because I was the 'fat ugly girl', food was my 'friend.' No matter what, food was always there for me. It was a love-hate relationship, but I always fell into the trap. I learned from a very early age that if I was sad/mad/happy/bored/etc, I could turn to food to feel a sense of immediate gratification. My decision to have lap-band surgery is the best decision I have made in my entire life. Many people I told looked at me like I was NUTS. I didn't care - I did it anyway, and I am SO happy that I did. The way I see it, those friends who did try to talk me out of it, or who said mean nasty things - - they are probably just jealous.

Dr. Ortiz and everyone that works with him at the clinic - they are angels. Truly they are saving thousands of lives and they are just.... Angels sent form above. I cannot thank them enough - - they surely saved my life. I will ALWAYS remember Dr. Ortiz and his staff and will always think of them in the highest regard. Thank you, Dr. Ortiz and ALL of your staff - - and as Dana said, Happy Holidays and warm wishes to you and your families!!

GREAT post Miss Dana! I completely agree! I know that Dr. O and his staff do a ton of these, but hopefully they know what a difference they have made for me. This is the first time in my life I feel I have control over my eating and my weight! I'm so excited to watch where this journey takes me. I was just like you - whether it was because I was sad or excited I would turn to food. Now my mindset is so different. What a great feeling!

Here's to a successful 2009!!!

Dana,

Such a lovely message. Dr. Ortiz is truly special and the staff awesome!

We are truly Blessed.

Who is Dr. Ortiz's Mother? I am not certain I had the pleasure. What name does she use?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Labella

Maybe she is not there all the time, but she was wonderful. She came in my room and took pictures with us (I was camera happy). lol She even stopped what she was doing and listened to my husband and his ailing health needs with Psoriasis. She was willing to put him in touch with a Dr. to maybe help him, but we were not staying in town long enough. She is definitely proud of her son too! :)

What an honest and sincere Christmas post, Dana. Thanks for making it and for taking the words right out of my mouth. I'm looking so forward to 2009 and can't wait for it to arrive. I can't remember being this hopeful for an new year to begin. What a dream come true.

The OCC has changed so many lives and it's so sweet of you to recognize them and post this very special message.

Merry Christmas to all on the board and here's to seeing less of everyone in the new year.

Dana, Thank you for being so thoughtful of others. Your words speak for so many of us. We all are so lucky to be able to do what we have done, and to be able to go to such a qualified place. You're right when you said how welcoming all of the staff were. I felt very safe and reassured the whole time I was there.

Merry Christmas to All! And especially Dr. Ortiz and his wonderful staff, including those who drove us back and forth.

Feliz Navidad

Anne

Dana, band buddy ~ you said it all and appreciate your post. I agree with everyone ~ we don't care what the other's say but ultimately it's our own decision and our own success to claim with the help with Dr Ortiz and his staff and, of course, Mama Ortiz! You hit it right when you say OCC is "home" and Mama Ortiz brought that 'home feeling' by being there for me as well. In fact, to be honest, I never felt once to feel as though I was a 'patient' there. I was more or less a 'guest' and felt as though a friend had helped me fixed my issue (the band surgery).

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone and a BLESSED NEW YEAR to each and every one of us. May YOUR dreams come true for 2009! us back and forth.

Feliz Navidad un bendito Ano m Nuevo!!

((HUGS!)) Jude

Dana, band buddy ~ you said it all and appreciate your post. I agree with everyone ~ we don't care what the other's say but ultimately it's our own decision and our own success to claim with the help with Dr Ortiz and his staff and, of course, Mama Ortiz! You hit it right when you say OCC is "home" and Mama Ortiz brought that 'home feeling' by being there for me as well. In fact, to be honest, I never felt once to feel as though I was a 'patient' there. I was more or less a 'guest' and felt as though a friend had helped me fixed my issue (the band surgery).

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone and a BLESSED NEW YEAR to each and every one of us. May YOUR dreams come true for 2009! us back and forth.

Feliz Navidad un bendito Ano m Nuevo!!

((HUGS!)) Jude

Jude,

Very well put, a guest and not a patient. Having that feeling definitely calms the nerves. Mama Ortiz is responsible for it all happening! hehe