Nearing the end...

...of my 21-day post-op diet. Two more days to go! Mentally, I'm always thinking about food. But physically, I haven't been very hungry... especially this past week. Other than 2-3 days of feeling like I was starving, the 19 days thus far have been pretty uneventful. Even during goodie baking and bread baking for Christmas gifts! I'm nervous about knowing when I am full and stopping when I start back on solids. I eat my soup (slowly), I finish and I think that I could still eat more... but, in about five minutes I can tell that I'm full. Kind of that miserable full that I felt in the past from overeating. Does anyone else experience this? Is it normal? I worry that I've done something wrong because I can't "feel" my port. I think I'll be relieved after my first fill after "seeing" that things are okay.

Kristy

...of my 21-day post-op diet. Two more days to go! Mentally, I'm always thinking about food. But physically, I haven't been very hungry... especially this past week. Other than 2-3 days of feeling like I was starving, the 19 days thus far have been pretty uneventful. Even during goodie baking and bread baking for Christmas gifts! I'm nervous about knowing when I am full and stopping when I start back on solids. I eat my soup (slowly), I finish and I think that I could still eat more... but, in about five minutes I can tell that I'm full. Kind of that miserable full that I felt in the past from overeating. Does anyone else experience this? Is it normal? I worry that I've done something wrong because I can't "feel" my port. I think I'll be relieved after my first fill after "seeing" that things are okay.

Kristy

Kristy you are doing great!! Don't be worried about the food, choose wisely and eat slowly, and chew, chew, chew! You are obviously commited to this and I know you will do just fine. Keep up on your fluid intake. And you also get to look forward to excercise! Again, pace yourself and enjoy this new journey! Firecracker!

I have been on solids for about a month and a half and it is still something i'm working on. Like you said it is a very different kind of full, so i'm now working on knowing what that feeling is and knowing when i'm full. It's so different for everyone so you will just have to work on measuring first to help you out. As folks have said, welcome to bandster hell! :rolleyes:

Kristy ~ you are NOT alone on this and it's perfectly normal. Goodness, all my life, I never had anyone tell me that I can only have so much food specifically as 1/2 cup of this and 1/4 cup of that.

Since 10 months post op, I've been training myself to only have 1/3 of what I use to eat verses to what I can eat physically, is a constant challenge for me mentally. I am new and soon enough, it will be second nature to KNOW how much I can really eat since being banded. But I am doing good as when I went for my 2nd fill, I found out I was not eating enough food! HA! Imagine that! I thought I'd never hear that! But to continue to lose, I needed to up my protein intake.

You will find it much easier if you serve your food at first on a smaller plate, so you don't see any wasted space, like what you would see if food served on a adult dinner plate. This helped me tremendously.

As for your port, that is normal too. Everyone is different. I have to really push down and move around to find it. Others have their port much closer to the surface so you can feel it. So this is really an individual thing and it's normal. I also read as you lose, your port moves/changes position because your stomach has shrunk, at which that time you may have it moved elsewhere to prevent it protruding.

Guest erinmohr

I can feel my port and hate it! For some reason it creeps me out haha.

Since surgury the senations of "feeling full" and "hunger" are different for me - has anyone else experienced this?

The smaller plate is a great idea - i always feel like i have to finish my plate...

I can feel my port and hate it! For some reason it creeps me out haha.

Since surgury the senations of "feeling full" and "hunger" are different for me - has anyone else experienced this?

The smaller plate is a great idea - i always feel like i have to finish my plate...

Love your pic 'erinmohr', very cool. I am almost 8 months banded and I still struggle with hunger/full as a lot of this is mental for me. When I go to parties I always reach for the smaller plate and once I eat what is on it I never go back for more. I try to reassure myself that there is always another day of good food and this isn't the 'last' of anything.