My first fill... and a question.

Well, I guess it was time to kick my band into high gear. I had fun being able to eat solid foods while in Hawaii - made the trip that much more enjoyable. While I didn't go nuts, I definitely gained a few pounds back. That's ok, I told myself... now is a time for healing.

So here I am, 6.5 weeks post banding, and I was ready to flip the switch. I made an appointment for today, and left the house at 8:30am. I drove to the San Diego Airport, parked, and followed the bus & trolley directions on how to get to the clinic. Everything about the directions was accurate.... except the time it would take. I finally got to the clinic at 12:05. Next time, I'll drive TO the border, park and that will cut a lot of time off.

Anyway, the fill with Dr. Romero went great. However, I wasn't expecting to feel like I was Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction (you'll know what I mean if you've seen the film). However, after putting in a wee bit too much fill, I felt like I was a Cupid statue in a fountain-- push my chest, and I'd spit the water that felt like it was throat-high. The doc backed it down a tad and I got a 4.5 cc fill in my VG band.

I made it back home by 4:30pm (long day), but after having the feeling of too much restriction earlier that day, I had a question as to what the right feeling should be:

When I got home, I was STARVING! Since I was told to only eat full liquids for the next three days, I had some Campbells Butternet Squash soup -- you know, the one that comes in a box? With really no problem, I ate the entire contents - two cups worth of moderately thick soup.

SHOULD I have been able to eat it? Was it liquid enough to have passed through without restriction? Or did I not get enough of a fill? I know solid foods are the types of food to be restricted, but isn't a soup like this supposed to be restricted, too?

Thanks, all!

• 3 weeks later...

We don't want you to feel restriction with liquids. They should pass through your band quickly. The barium, which is very thick will stop at the band momentarily. But soups, shakes, etc should go through. If you have restriction with liquids, then your band is too tight.

Give it some time and let me know how you are doing :) and remember to chew chew chew (chew to goo) once you start back on solids!