I think my Band is too tight! Is that possible???

Hello.. and Happy Holidays everyone. I was banded Dec 3rd. I started solids a couple days ago. I have discovered that I can not tolerate chicken, beef and fish! I am taking tiny bites, chewing like crazy, and eating slow. I can keep certain things down, but those I listed and many other things, I end up vomiting within 5 mins or so. I was at wk today & I figured ok, well salmon may work. Well, I had 3 bites, and I thought I was going to die from a heart attack. I was just praying to please let me make it back to my unit and to the bathroom. Well....I vomited in the hall right in front of the neurosurgeon team. I was soo embarresed. Of coarse they were very helpful but I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me!! Anyway, is this normal??? I am scheduled for my 1st fill on Jan 15. I cant imagine being any tighter than I am. And also-- after I expelled the salmon,, welll I was full as can be. I dont know if I should be grateful that I can barely eat or worried that I cant get basic protein in. ANY suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

Hello.. and Happy Holidays everyone. I was banded Dec 3rd. I started solids a couple days ago. I have discovered that I can not tolerate chicken, beef and fish! I am taking tiny bites, chewing like crazy, and eating slow. I can keep certain things down, but those I listed and many other things, I end up vomiting within 5 mins or so. I was at wk today & I figured ok, well salmon may work. Well, I had 3 bites, and I thought I was going to die from a heart attack. I was just praying to please let me make it back to my unit and to the bathroom. Well....I vomited in the hall right in front of the neurosurgeon team. I was soo embarresed. Of coarse they were very helpful but I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me!! Anyway, is this normal??? I am scheduled for my 1st fill on Jan 15. I cant imagine being any tighter than I am. And also-- after I expelled the salmon,, welll I was full as can be. I dont know if I should be grateful that I can barely eat or worried that I cant get basic protein in. ANY suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

I'm sorry, I cannot help you, but if you were banded at the OCC, you shouldn't have any fill solution in your band. Maybe you're still swollen a bit? I can't tolerate many things, but I know it's because of my fill. I don't believe this is the norm because after the liquid phase, I could pretty much eat anything through my second fill. I really think that you should call the OCC for a consult...I hope you feel better.

I agree you should call them. Since we were there at the same time, you know that I haven't had my first fill yet either but I've felt some restriction all of a suden the past couple days. I've heard we can tighten up on our own from stress or our periods, both of which I am dealing with right now. So that explains it for me but I'm curious to see what they about you. Keep us posted.

Sabrina:)

I'm sorry, I cannot help you, but if you were banded at the OCC, you shouldn't have any fill solution in your band. Maybe you're still swollen a bit? I can't tolerate many things, but I know it's because of my fill. I don't believe this is the norm because after the liquid phase, I could pretty much eat anything through my second fill. I really think that you should call the OCC for a consult...I hope you feel better.

Sarah,

Since you are only three weeks out from surgery, it will be hard to know how "tight" you will be by the time of your scheduled first fill. Much like you, three weeks out from surgery, I had trouble with chicken (I still do) and beef and fish, really, I had trouble with just about everything I tried to eat. But...by the time of my first fill three weeks later, I had no restriction. You are still healing and could still have some swelling.

I understand your concern about not being able to get adequate protein. That is why so many of us supplement protein when it is hard to eat. If I vomit, I try not to eat anything else for several hours just to let things settle down a bit. That is when the protein shakes come into play or back to creamy soups.

One trick is making sure the meat that you eat is especially moist. Dry chicken breast does not work for me anymore at all. But I can manage most things cooked all day in a crock pot and I like shredded pork and beef. Good luck. It is a learning experience.

Dawn

I was there today for my first fill I was told to call if any of the symptoms you described happened at ANY TIME! (and I looked back in my paperwork just now and see the same information.)

You should be keeping solids down at this time. I would call them ASAP! If you don't call they can't help.

The ladies are right and if you are concern, call OCC for assistance. You were given discharged paperwork for the 'if in case' issues. If you are following the general guideline of choosing food wisely, cut your food into dime-size pieces, chewing the dickens out of them ~ one bite at a time, and eating slowly then all should be ok. If you are not stressed out and Aunt Flo is not around, then you again should be ok. I suggest to contact OCC for assurance. Obviously something is not right and since we are not medically trained, get the right answers from them.

Preparing your foods is very important like Dawn says. Keep your meat moist. After eating, any leftovers goes into a ziplock/container with it's own juice or a bit of water. Dry food have a tendency to get stuck in your throat and since you cannot drink while eating, it will stay where it 'sticks' until enough saliva or other moisture help it along to slide down.

Good luck and please let us know what you're doing as this is a learning experience to all.

Hi Sarah!

We were banded on the same day. I would definitely call the OCC! I haven't felt tons of restriction, but know I have some because I've had a couple of times where I felt something was stuck... the first time was chicken and the second time was a biscuit. However, I could probably eat as much as I ate before since food is going through the band. I just don't want you to have a slipped band. I would call even if it were to just put your mind at ease. I'm having my first fill on January 16 at the OCC, but unlike you... I NEED IT!

Kristy

I agree, call but to put your mind at ease - there have been some who are tight right off - its not too unusual so don't worry to much. And take bites the size of a pencil eraser, chew 30 times - measure your food - you may be surprised at how little we eat.

Most of us don't have restriction right off the bat, but some do. And remember – the more you stress about something – the tighter you may get – stress affects the band.

Best,

Lisa

Thank you everyone for responding. I am definately going to call OCC after wk today. I dont think my band has slipped because I can keep certain foods down. I am going cut my bite size in half and chew, chew, chew! I will let you guys know what the docs say. Thanks for all your support!

Jazzy Jude, I didnt get any discharge paperwk. What did yours say?

Hi Sarah,

OK...I call the white folder we received on surgery day 'discharge paperwork' because it has the surgery aftercare info. It's the same folder Dr. Miranda went over with you on preop day, before your surgery. In my folder, I have a list of phone numbers to contact while in TJ and when I got home, instructions to what to eat plus the calendar, instructional sheet for lapband patients and a statement of success sheet. Among these paperwork, I beleive it says if you have any issues to contact them.

Hope this helps you better...