Preop Diet Day 1: Lots of anger...

So yesterday was my first day on the preop diet and it was a hard one. Geez I have gotten used to eating so much food nowadays that I hardly knew what to do with myself when all I could do was eat slimfast shakes. My husband was around and I got so angry and snappy with him throughout the day. He is very understanding and supportive though, an absolute angel and gentleman. Not that he was happy about it, but he understood. I did great in the day time, but not so great in the evening, although I do think I made a great step in the right direction.

So all day I had nothing but my shakes, some water. Cleaned my entire apartment yesterday because I needed somewhere to focus my frustration. So at least I have a clean house today. :-) However upon dinner we went out. I had lots of bread, butter and hummus. My entree was great though... grilled salmon with lemon/butter sauce on the side, topped with sauteed spinach. Fairly healthy. Baby steps I guess. But was ravenous all day long apart from that.

Today I'm much better stocked. I got multivitamins and some great fiber chewables. Now I have something that can truly aid in my hunger management throughout the day. And tonight I will enjoy one of my lean cuisines. Also, plan is to do some bicycling today, which will get me in the mood for some weight losing! :-D Wow I did a modified fast for 4 months and don't know how I did it now. I was very fired up to lose a LOT of weight though... thought it was the last diet I would ever be on. Plus they weren't slim fast shakes, and I couldn't have food at night. I did have a LOT of frustration and hunger for the first week though, so I am going through that again now.

To sum things up, I'm pretty proud of my first day on the preop diet, but know I can do even better today. Wish me luck! :-D

The pre-op diet was very hard for me too. The first few days are the hardest. The best thing to do is just think about how you have already one day behind you, then two days, then three... I wanted to give up and postpone the surgery but I somehow stuck through it. Concentrate on WHY you are doing this and the longterm benefit: You need the LAP-BAND!!!

Amanda, Yeah it is really hard. I'm low on energy, but keeping myself motivated by looking at lots of youtube lapband testimonials. Great stuff... really gives you the ups and down on weight loss with the band or GB. They have a great support system there, but you do have to realize that anyone can see your videos and I'm keeping my lapband private. Might come out with it someday, when I'm sure that it works and when I start getting very very small. Then people will think I'm on meth if I don't tell them I had the surgery. :-D But yeah expect this extreme hunger to pass within a few days, the fiber chewables are a big help today.

Amanda, Yeah it is really hard. I'm low on energy, but keeping myself motivated by looking at lots of youtube lapband testimonials. Great stuff... really gives you the ups and down on weight loss with the band or GB. They have a great support system there, but you do have to realize that anyone can see your videos and I'm keeping my lapband private. Might come out with it someday, when I'm sure that it works and when I start getting very very small. Then people will think I'm on meth if I don't tell them I had the surgery. :-D But yeah expect this extreme hunger to pass within a few days, the fiber chewables are a big help today.

Hi sweetie...no one ever says that having a lapband is going to be an easy thing to do. You need to start a different approach ~ start over if you have to. Turn all your negatives into postives. This band DOES work if you work WITH it ~ it's a fabulous tool. You need to commit yourself and focus on the reason for this choice of weight loss procedure. You've spent good, hard earning money for this surgery. Be persistent and consistent and discipline yourself. Be motivated and plan your band journey accordingly and stay on track; focus on the new you. Yes, keep yourself busy as well such as arts and crafts, reading, walking, visiting family and friends, etc. There's a lot of things you can do. What you are now doing is re-organizing/adjusting changes in your lifestyle and it's a good thing!

You are saying you a still hungry. Dr. Miranda, nutritionist, recommends to have the Metamucil capsules at 10am and 3pm to help curb your appetite and it works ~ try it. (Note ~ after surgery, I switched to the chewable Fiber Choice for Weight Management).

It's really hard to 'start' per se. Here you are being told to go on a preop diet to prepare for your band journey and your body is rebelling because it doesn't want the 'restriction' you are trying to do. This preop is very specific to get your body ready and still use some of the rulings for your surgery aftercare, especially the 'protein' part. You are doing a lifestyle change and it's a good thing!

Good luck ~ It's an awesome adventure to experience! YOU CAN DO THIS!

hey JazzyJude... I hear you loud and clear. Oh I just read your same post as an answer to another question on the forum. hehe :-) My body is definitely rebelling and I should expect this for the next couple days at the very least. don't worry I'm ready to fight the power! In fact, going into my third day now (starting another thread) and it's way easier. I got the same chewable fiber tablets that you have and they are relatively tasty and help out in the hunger department immensely.

The pre-op diet is very hard! It is a complete change. If you can make it through the pre-op and post-op diets then you will learn that you do not need so much food to live. I eat for energy and vitamins now instead of for pleasure. Somedays I literally have to make myself eat. The band is amazing. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I am having my surgery on Friday, I live each day for my lean cuisine but have been adding a cup of light, weight watcher soup because two protein shakes are not enough to get me through a gym workout. The pre-op says nothing about working out but I know I would pass out if all I had was two protein shakes all day before working out. I have noticed though (not to gross anyone out but...) I have not had a BM in a few days and when I do, its tiny little round things that are not easy to get out, sorry for being so blunt but is this normal??? I havent dropped much weight at all and I think it might be from being unable to pass anything... any advice? I just started the fiber chewables and also taking a multi vitamin in the morning.

Metamucile at 10 o'clock AM and 3 o'clock PM... not only will it help with your issue, but it helps with the hunger pangs too. Post-op I would suggest BeneFiber powder... love that stuff.

Kristy

Ooh...Kristy! I've trained you well! LOL

Yes, these options helps without a doubt...! Just be sure to be consistent and do this daily to get the results you want. I didn't do lean cuisine but did the salads and added hard boiled eggs, cheese and had rolled up luncheon deli chicken or turkey slices. Yummy!

Contrats Jenn! The surgery is a piece of cake! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing after your surgery!

HAHAHA, no problem with BM issues! I do the fiber chewables and that helps immensely. :-) They're even a bit tasty! And I'll try Benefiber postop like tnm75 suggests.

Thanks everybody for the well wishes and great advice. This has been much easier than I thought. Just needed to get over that initial hunger hump. It's nice to be back in control of my diet again. :-)