Question...

Hello. I was just curious as to how you all got the money to be able to afford the lap band surgery. I can't afford to pay the whole cost out of my own pocket right now, and I don't have any insurance. I've been looking into the lap band for a few years now, and I feel like it's the right choice for me, but I just don't know what to do to get started.

Thanks

Christy

Hello. I was just curious as to how you all got the money to be able to afford the lap band surgery. I can't afford to pay the whole cost out of my own pocket right now, and I don't have any insurance. I've been looking into the lap band for a few years now, and I feel like it's the right choice for me, but I just don't know what to do to get started.

Thanks

Christy

:-h Hi! I assume you are thinking about having the band done in Mexico if you are on this forum. If you haven't contacted the OCC, do that first. The price is dramatically =D> less than what I was quoted here in the US. My insurance doesn't cover anything either, so you and I are in the same boat.

We decided to take a loans out of our 401(k)s for most of it. You have an interest rate, but you pay it back to yourself! Tax season is coming up, too! I'm also using some tuition reimbursement from my employer, as school is already paid for and I passed all my classes. We will probably take a personal line of credit for the rest unless we win the lotto, but we don't buy tickets so it's very unlikely that will happen.

Funding was my biggest concern. In fact, I knew I waned the surgery last Aug but just set the date for March last Friday =D> to make sure I'd have all the money!

Many people take out loans from banks specializing in medical loans, but I hear the rates are high and there is a credit crunch because of the recession. The OCC gives referrals to some of these places when you contact them.

I found someone posting in this forum saying that she was able to pay it using a credit card and then submit it to her FSA and pay back the credit card money. I thought that was pretty cool.

You could use a credit card from what I understand, but not all of us (me) have cards sitting around with thousands at our disposal, nor would we want to start digging that hole.

Your last resort is to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE! I am waiting almost a year to get the band. Time has flown because of school and work and all, so don't be discouraged if you have to wait awhile. Just think of any assets you have, how good your credit is, and how long you can wait if you have to save.

I think it also depends on how bad you want it and what you are willing to do financially to work it out; we got rid of cable and my husband applied for a promotion at work and got it :D .

Good luck with your financing! You'll figure it all out!

Amber

Thanks. Yeah, I don't have any credit cards just laying around at my disposal. At this time I don't even have a job. I've had alot of difficulity doing so in my town for one reason or another. Had some issues come up a few years ago that weren't even my fault that have damaged my background checks and I also assume that my weight doesn't exactly make employers jump at the prospect at hiring me. I recently went through a divorce and am living with my mom. That in itself is depressing enough. I want to better myself. I want to get out there and show the world that I can kick butt... but it's proving to be a difficult process.

So is surgery in Mexico safe? I have to admit the idea of it does scare me. I speak no spanish at all, but I realize that that if I'm going to even get a surgery done (anywhere remotely close to a price I could afford) I'll probably have to do it there. I'm itching at the idea of getting the surgery because I feel that my age is important. I'm 26 and I would love to have children and live a fullfilled life. I don't want to wait until I'm nearing 40 to make a major life change. I want to do it now.

whimperingcat, I feel for you. By the grace of God in all his Splendor, I can afford to pay for this procedure outright. But before i knew that was the case I was willing to wipe out my savings and sell anything I had to. Save, save save!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sell your car, take on a second job, start a small business doing something you like... whatever! When I knew this was the surgery for me I was ready to go like yesterday. Of course the OCC in Mexico is incredibly cheap, but you have to take into account extra expenses like plane tickets, gas, etc, plus wls aftercare/fills and what you'll do if any complications come up with the band. I know it seems overwhelming but you definitely can do it. If you're still nervous about mexico there are doctors all over the country who are offering good prices, but do you research and check them out first!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

I was able to get it financed through one of the credit agencies that is listed on the OCC website. I had to pay the inital $500 deposit, but now I make monthly notes for the next 3 years. Because my insurance does not cover it, I can claim the monies spent for my surgery on my taxes. So I will use my tax refund to make a larger payment to get it paid off quicker. Hope this helps.

Goofy219

Christy,

Boy... there are certainly a lot of Christy/Kristy-s on the boards!

Tough spot... I truly feel for you. And, I hear the desire for a change through your words.

I remember going to a doctor's appointment in October, seeing my weight, getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and knowing that I had to do something... and, wanting it done RIGHT THEN AND THERE. Thankfully everything fell into place and I had my surgery scheduled within a couple of days of that doctor's appointment for the first week in December. Thankfully I didn't have to finance anything.

Would your mom be willing to take out a loan with one of you being a co-signer? Without having a job, I don't see getting a loan on your own as an option right now. Like others have said... save, save, save. If you can't get it done right now, don't give up and don't get discouraged.

As for Mexico being safe... my reply is a resounding YES! My experience with the OCC was incredible. I do not speak Spanish and I made the trip on my own. Most of the staff at the OCC speak English and those that don't... it's enjoyable to watch them want to learn. They are wonderful people, all of them! Dr. Ortiz is one of the best. He has been researched by most of us here and you will find that you will be in good hands should you choose him.

Kristy

Thanks. Yeah, I don't have any credit cards just laying around at my disposal. At this time I don't even have a job. I've had alot of difficulity doing so in my town for one reason or another. Had some issues come up a few years ago that weren't even my fault that have damaged my background checks and I also assume that my weight doesn't exactly make employers jump at the prospect at hiring me. I recently went through a divorce and am living with my mom. That in itself is depressing enough. I want to better myself. I want to get out there and show the world that I can kick butt... but it's proving to be a difficult process.

So is surgery in Mexico safe? I have to admit the idea of it does scare me. I speak no spanish at all, but I realize that that if I'm going to even get a surgery done (anywhere remotely close to a price I could afford) I'll probably have to do it there. I'm itching at the idea of getting the surgery because I feel that my age is important. I'm 26 and I would love to have children and live a fullfilled life. I don't want to wait until I'm nearing 40 to make a major life change. I want to do it now.

Oh my gosh! I was just talking about fat people discrimination with my mom last night! No matter what anyone says, employers choose the beautiful people over the less endowed. It's tough out there as is in the job market and being fat doesn't help! You could try to get jobs where their benefits include medical insurance that will cover the surgery. No matter what you'll probably have to wait, but that's ok because you'll get there before you're 40! Mexico is my only option and after researching for months & with all the wonderful people on this post, I'm convinced that I'm doing the right thing. Just keep reading forums and remembering what you are working to get.

Wow, thanks everyone for your kind words and support! I was shocked to get so many people to reply. There was one time I went to the doctor. I think this was the actual turning point. I got there, and he went to weigh me, and I was too heavy for the scale. They had to put 2 scales together to weigh me. At that time I was up to a whopping 368. I just couldn't stop crying. That was the worst feeling I've ever felt.

I've been talking with my mother about helping me with a loan of some sort. She is, well, she's interesting when it somes to helping me. haha She's supportive sometimes, but not exactly in all areas. I know that she knows I need this. My whole family suffers with obesity. She's got sooooo many health issues due to her weight. I look at her and I know, I KNOW I don't want to be like that when I'm her age. Trust me, if I had anything worth selling I'd do it to get the money to do this. I want children so desperately. My mother seems to think that I'll never have kids, but if I lost weight my PCOS wouldn't be as much of an issues and it'd be possible. I don't want to go out like my family... overweight, having heart attacks and strokes, diabetes, sleep apnea. I don't want to fear that I could die tomorrow. I've suffered with weight problems since I was 4. I'm just sick of it. I'm sure you all know what I mean. I hate that feeling you get when you eat a candy bar... that satisfaction followed with sadness.

I have a boyfriend, and during a family get together at his mothers house she wanted a picture of us. She had him sit on my knee for the picture... :lb12: can you imagine? His family are all like bean poles. They couldn't have possibly imagined how that made me feel. It made me sick. And here I am rambling along. I'll go for now. lol

I forgot to ask this. The price, does it include a hotel stay, or is it only for the surgery itself? If I'm going to be trying to save, I'd like to be sure of the number I'm aiming for. lol

The $7,950 includes the surgery, your shuttle to and from the airport/train station, three nights at a hotel for you & a guest and a lifetime of free blind fills. Basically above the $7,950 you will have to pay for your transportation to San Diego. Also, plan for tips for your driver and hotel staff.

If you choose to go back to the OCC for fills then you're looking at transportation to San Diego and $279 (fill under fluro [$100], one night at a hotel and shuttle to and from the airport/train station). Hope this helps.

Kristy