BAND SIZe

Just curious about everyone's band size. I am pretty sure Dr. So told me that my band ( and all of the patients who had surgery the same day that I did) is a 10 cc band. Seems like so many have a 4 cc band. My BMI was 32 at time of surgery and others were higher/lower etc. Just wondering how they decide on the size of band that each person gets.

I am the only one I know of that has a 14cc band. I was a 55 BMI at the time of surgery. I was started with 3.4cc's at surgery. I have had 2 fills but my last one was an overfill. Right now I am at 6.7 cc's but I can not keep any solids down. So I am getting that fixed on Monday. But as for band size I usually here of only 4 and 10's. I think it depends on your size at the time of surgery.

I've got what they call the VG band - its the bigger one and I had 6.6 cc's at my highest. It’s down to under 4 now that I'm on maintenance.

The size of your band is based on the size needed - if you're bigger inside, you'd need a bigger band.

They don't know what band you need until they are inside and looking.

(when I got my VG band I was the only girl that had one - I was so happy to learn of others......)

Just curious about everyone's band size. I am pretty sure Dr. So told me that my band ( and all of the patients who had surgery the same day that I did) is a 10 cc band. Seems like so many have a 4 cc band. My BMI was 32 at time of surgery and others were higher/lower etc. Just wondering how they decide on the size of band that each person gets.

I know there has been confusion on here--are you sure it is 10cc's and not 10cm? Look on your card that the OCC gave you. I know I was confused until someone cleared it up for me that 10cm is actually a 4cc band, which is the most common one that they use at the OCC.

SheRee,

My band is 10 cm (centimeters). That is about 4 inches for us non-metric system based Americans. My band holds 4 cc's saline, same as mililiters I think.

(Any chemists in the house?)

My husband's band is 13 cm (centimeters). That is about 5 and 1/4 inches. His band holds 10 cc's saline.

I think the centimeters refers to the closed circumference of the band. Anyway, either of those measurements makes a pretty small circle when closed and that is before being filled with any saline.

Fully filled, Dolittle said in one of his posts that they end up being the same. I think he said about 1/2 inch.

They should have given you a card with your band size on it. If you do not have it, you can email them and they will tell you. I know that because I misplaced my card and had to email them. I found it later.

The doctors make the decision during surgery. I guess they need to see what we look like on the inside.

Hope that helps.

Dawn

Agree with the others...check your card. I thought mine said 10CC as well but it said 10CM which is 4CC. But like others said, it isn't so much your BMI or weight, but how big you are on the "inside" so to speak. :) Most likely you have a 10CM band, but check your card for sure.

Agree with the others...check your card. I thought mine said 10CC as well but it said 10CM which is 4CC. But like others said, it isn't so much your BMI or weight, but how big you are on the "inside" so to speak. :) Most likely you have a 10CM band, but check your card for sure.

My bad!! It is a 10CM band that holds 4CC of fluid. I stand corrected and less confused.

I just checked my card and it does not say how much it will hold. It does however say it is a VG band and has the serial number. I'm 99 percent positive it is the 10cc band. I am a guy and was told that most men end up getting the larger band but not always. Was also told it depended on how much of the F word was around your stomach. My wife got the smaller band and had a real hard time with swelling and restriction days 4 and 5 post op. Thought she wasn't going to make it for awhile (vomiting)but she is fine since day 6.

I'm not sure that your BMI really has anything to do with the size of your band. My BMI was over 50 and I received the 10cm band which holds 4cc-s. I think it has more to do with the size of your internal organs and the fat that surrounds them. That's my understanding.

Kristy