Does everybody go thru a phase of feeling like this may not work?

I'm trying to stay positive and I suppose I'm in the "bandster-hell" phase but I keep seeing all these neagative posts on other boards about Lap band "not working" for them and there doesn't seem to be anybody on here with long term success...I want to hear about the success stories...if you are out there, speak up! The newly-banded need your advice and encouragement! Don't be shy!

What other boards are you on? Sometimes I like to see the "real" side of things and this board seems to only have positive things which is great but I wanna know the bad things too.

Im sure you are just going through a phase and will do fine though :) Hang in there :)

Sabrina,

I so hear you girl! At a standstill here too... after gaining some of the pounds back after starting on solids. I'm trying to maintain until my first fill... and, from the sounds of it --- I may be trying to maintain until my second fill. I'm going to get more serious about my cardio and water intake and hope that helps me.

Kristy

Have you looked through the photo gallery? If not please do, there are so many, Lisal, kim2bslim, mamamichelle, mlgpdx, pammie, thats just to name a few, there really is alot of success, please don't get discouraged. most that have lost are out living life and sometimes forget to post.

You are doing great and you will succeed!!

I think that there is a difference in who bands you and how well you do. We do seem to have more successes with Dr. Ortiz. And you don’t often see them on the forum – they are done and focused on living their lives – coming to the forum isn’t something they want to do.

I also believe that the majority of the time we are really focused on being positive and helping each other succeed. As well as educating the newbies that bandster hell is part and parcel of the program – you need to get through it. (make sure you are reading the Dr's corner and all the info there).

You can go and look at the other boards if its something you feel you need to do, just make sure that you don’t get too wrapped up into it. Its really easy to start focusing on the negative and that does make it harder to succeed. Much of the success of each person is mental and how you learn to work you band. If you're in a positive outlook you'll do better. And I get that its hard during this time.

Personally - I never went to the other forms and people who I know that are successful never did it – we were too focused on how to make it work than to learn of those who fail. The real side is what ever you make of it.

*I’m adding in a few more successes: Linda, Karen, Dolittle, Snowbird, Clynn, Lori Becky and Carol.

Read Dr. O's book, follow the rules and be patient. You will see results. They may not be as fast as you want them, but you didn't gain it over night either. I have been at a stand still for 2.5 weeks and I finally got on the scale this morning and down 4 lbs. I totally believe in the band & research tells us it works! Ofcourse there is bad with the good, but that is life. Not just WLS!

You will do great! Chin up!

I'm trying to stay positive and I suppose I'm in the "bandster-hell" phase but I keep seeing all these neagative posts on other boards about Lap band "not working" for them and there doesn't seem to be anybody on here with long term success...I want to hear about the success stories...if you are out there, speak up! The newly-banded need your advice and encouragement! Don't be shy!

Hi Valleygirl, I was banded DEC. 11th and I have only lost 7 lbs. I started solids last Thursday.

I have the same feeling, I see everyone losing 15, 20 lbs. and it is a bit discouraging.

I get my first fill Feb. 5th. Are you feeling hungry? I am and I am using all my will power

to not eat, I cant wait for my fill, I hope it gets easier. We need to give ourselves all the

support we can, I AM WITH YOU!!!!

THE BEST THING I EVER DID!!! JUST STAY THE COURSE, LISTEN TO YOUR DR AND YOUR BODY AND YOU'LL DO FINE. JUST REMEMBER WHY YOU MADE THE APPOINTMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE, YOU WANT, NEEDED A CHANGE AND ARE COMMITTED TO MAKE THIS WORK :)

Try not to let your discouragement go crazy. I was right where you were 6 months ago. I lost some weight very quickly, maybe 7 pounds on liquids and then it came to a dead stop. For a few months I only lost a few pounds. I also worried that this too would be a failure for me, yet another attempt that didn't pan out. But I hung in ther hoping, praying that this would work. I kept my thoughts positive and told myself this WILL work and yes I will be smaller. I tried to say as many positive things to myself each day (thanks LisaL for that suggestion). Well here's the good news....after about 3 months, 2 fills and 1 unfill (currently at 2.0cc in 4cc band) I just started noticing how I really had no appetite most of the time. I started eating way less and wasn't obsessed over what the scale said. I wasn't obsessed with what I couldn't eat anymore rather what could I eat to get in my calories today. I only weigh myself about every 2 weeks , well maybe 10 days or so now and I have lost to date, post-op about 50#, mostly all in the last 3 months. I was so happy because this was the first year I did not gain at Xmas time, the treats at work did not call to me as they used to. Yes I'll admit I ate a small bite of 1 or 2 things or a small piece of something else but I could only eat so little I savored every pea size taste. I actually lost 5 pounds in about the 10 day span of the holidays. Never before has this happened!! So dear girl I encourage you to stay positive, focus on what WLL happen and you too can be a success. Don't allow the negative stuff to penetrate you and don't even read it. Stay focused on your success!!!

Hope this helps.

vallerygirl

Don't get discouraged! The band is not a quick fix, it does take time. I was banded 3/24/08. I weighed 276 at surgery. today I weight 186 pounds. A little over 9 months and I am down 90 pounds! If you will read my signature you will see that between banding 3/24 and my 3rd fill in august I only lost 25lbs. yikes! I was feeling like a failure and would read the board daily and hear all these wonderful stories of people losing weight like crazy and I would sit and wonder what is wrong with me?!?!?!? After my 3rd fill I hit my "sweet spot" and I also did a LOT of mental work.. lol meaning I had to have positive talks with myself several times a day about why I got the band and how I needed to take responsibility for my behavior and makes changes... everything finally came together and the weight literally begin falling off. You will hear this over and over and over and over but the band is a TOOL.. it is NOT the end all be all for losing weight. You must follow Dr's instructions and "bandster rules"... we all fall off the wagon but we will never put you down.. we are here to support you, give you encouragement and tell you that YES YOU CAN DO THIS!

I have a ton of before/after pics on myspace if anyone is interested let me know . For some reason I never was able to post pics in my posting on this forum. I could also update my gallery... maybe I'll work on that.

I totally appreciate hearing this-- I'm just at the point before my first fill and haven't lost much weight-- but I feel encouraged just hearing your stories. Did you guys find it important to work out as well? I recently heard from a family friend who is a orthopedic surgeon that many people with the lapband have back problems from losing the weight so quickly (hard to believe for me, considering I've lost only 8 pounds)-- but it was interesting to think about.

Especially since everyone keeps saying the band is a tool-- that means you have to work with it, right?

did you feel like when the pounds started falling off, it had to do with both restriction and working out?

vallerygirl

Don't get discouraged! The band is not a quick fix, it does take time. I was banded 3/24/08. I weighed 276 at surgery. today I weight 186 pounds. A little over 9 months and I am down 90 pounds! If you will read my signature you will see that between banding 3/24 and my 3rd fill in august I only lost 25lbs. yikes! I was feeling like a failure and would read the board daily and hear all these wonderful stories of people losing weight like crazy and I would sit and wonder what is wrong with me?!?!?!? After my 3rd fill I hit my "sweet spot" and I also did a LOT of mental work.. lol meaning I had to have positive talks with myself several times a day about why I got the band and how I needed to take responsibility for my behavior and makes changes... everything finally came together and the weight literally begin falling off. You will hear this over and over and over and over but the band is a TOOL.. it is NOT the end all be all for losing weight. You must follow Dr's instructions and "bandster rules"... we all fall off the wagon but we will never put you down.. we are here to support you, give you encouragement and tell you that YES YOU CAN DO THIS!

I have a ton of before/after pics on myspace if anyone is interested let me know . For some reason I never was able to post pics in my posting on this forum. I could also update my gallery... maybe I'll work on that.

I totally appreciate hearing this-- I'm just at the point before my first fill and haven't lost much weight-- but I feel encouraged just hearing your stories. Did you guys find it important to work out as well? I recently heard from a family friend who is a orthopedic surgeon that many people with the lapband have back problems from losing the weight so quickly (hard to believe for me, considering I've lost only 8 pounds)-- but it was interesting to think about.

Especially since everyone keeps saying the band is a tool-- that means you have to work with it, right?

did you feel like when the pounds started falling off, it had to do with both restriction and working out?

Hi leyla ~ I use to have bad back problems and as well, I have an extra lower spinal vertabrae. Since being banded, my back aches/pains have been less and less. This is all due to my stomach was all up front and while losing weight, I am losing my stomach fat, which doesn't pulled my body frame forward. The more I exercise, the less pain I have in my knees, foot, and back.

YES, exercising is a huge part of losing weight, as well as drinking lots of water and making sure your protein intake is between 60 to 90 grams a day. For the first 3 months, I mainly did a lot of walking (minimum of 5 miles a day) and did light aerobics, dancing, and other low key legs and arms routine. This coming Jan 8, marks my 3 months post op and this is when I will be doing some hard core exercises, especially doing some ab routines.

REMINDER, if you are exercising now, more than you normally have done, you may either gain or plateau, as you are building, toning, and firming your muscles. THIS IS NORMAL! You must give your body a chance to balance itself since you've been banded. This is a total new lifestyle change in which your mind and body needs to adjust. Be patience and pretty soon you will see the new change within you...working with your band. It's AWESOME!

I was banded on March 28th and I have lost 85 lbs. IMO that is alot of weight! My fill Dr. says I am doing "too good" since his patients take much longer to lose weight. You haven't even received your first fill yet, and things will change when your band is filled! I go through stages where I hit a plateau for 2 months or so and then my body will let go of about 8 lbs all at once! I get so frustrated with the plateaus, but they are just a part of weight loss that sucks.

You have to be patient with the band or it will be a long, miserable journey for you. It took a long time to gain all that extra weight and it takes just as long to get it off.

By the way, I suck at exercising. I have two toddlers that wear me out and I don't have much energy left for exercising after I deal with them, housework, a part time job, and a husband! LOL

Just remember, if you follow the rules..YOU WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT! It has been proven over and over. Hang in there. Your jeans will be falling off in no time flat!