tax deductable

What do any of you know about writting off the medical costs of the band on our taxes?

I used the "Turbo Tax" program. You can write off everything that's related to your band surgery.. Example: Cost of the surgery,, flights, airport parking, tolls, taxi's, buses/tolleys, hotel, car mileage to the airport and any related aftercare, like fills, medications and anything else I forgot mention. The program does it all for you. But, it has to excide a certain percentage of your income, in order for it to be a write off. Whomever does your taxes should be able to tell you what that is,, I just can't remember what it was. That was a year ago,, I haven't done this years yet. I bet by the time you add all the expenses up, in a years time,, you'd be surprised. Add a few fill trips with flights,, Plus,,,, Your yearly expenses, like dentist,, eye doctors,, glasses,, your regular family doctor,, all your other prescribed meds, anything you spent last year related to medical, the cost of your health insurance, you got more than you think. Go for it,, always try to write it off,, it could pay.

I do taxes and want to explain. to claim medical on the 1040 long form your medical costs must be more than 7.5% of adjusted gross income so example you make 50K than the first 7.5% or ($ 3750) would not be deductible. the amount you pay beyond that is. It can include planes, parking, tolls,hotels and meals while away, and miles to and from drs too. you can deduct Insurance premiums that are not pre taxed. Most people do long form if they own there own home because you need enough deductions to beat the standard deduction. Hope this helps :)

I do taxes and want to explain. to claim medical on the 1040 long form your medical costs must be more than 7.5% of adjusted gross income so example you make 50K than the first 7.5% or ($ 3750) would not be deductible. the amount you pay beyond that is. It can include planes, parking, tolls,hotels and meals while away, and miles to and from drs too. you can deduct Insurance premiums that are not pre taxed. Most people do long form if they own there own home because you need enough deductions to beat the standard deduction. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that! I am set for banding this March and I was thinking about deductions, but forgot about the extras like airfare, hotel, etc. We use a FSA too, so how does that factor into the first 7.5%? The first 7.5% is not deductible, but the FSA is before tax, so I would only add everything after the FSA & then the first 7.5% of the after FSA expenses is not deductible, right?

Don't they also let you deduct the expenses for a traveling partner?

Thanks for that! I am set for banding this March and I was thinking about deductions, but forgot about the extras like airfare, hotel, etc. We use a FSA too, so how does that factor into the first 7.5%? The first 7.5% is not deductible, but the FSA is before tax, so I would only add everything after the FSA & then the first 7.5% of the after FSA expenses is not deductible, right?

Add everything togther because the FSA is on your W2 form and will automaticly come off befor the 7.5% So you work up the total figures and the FSA will come off first.

If you need your receipt... you need to contact Melissa at melissa@obesitycontrolcenter.com. Yes, fill trips are included. The bummer is that I had my surgery in December and all of my fills will be in the new year... oh how I wish my surgery and fill trips were in the same calendar year... taxes were not even on my mind when I scheduled. Oh well!

Kristy

Yes For Traveling Partner too. We could not have done it without them :)

YES, I am blonde.... and that's why I need to double check, just to make sure LOL

So I got banded in April'08 and DH came with me - he got banded in October'08 and I went with him .... so I can write off ...

both round trip tickets for each surgery/trip, right ? That would be GREAT :clapping:

Thanks in advance !!!! ><'

YES, I am blonde.... and that's why I need to double check, just to make sure LOL

So I got banded in April'08 and DH came with me - he got banded in October'08 and I went with him .... so I can write off ...

both round trip tickets for each surgery/trip, right ? That would be GREAT :clapping:

Thanks in advance !!!! ><'

Yes Both are deductable! You will have a great return!

PS this is for all: If you make payments to Drs for services its only for the amount paid in the Calander Yr of tax return

I borrowed the money too but still have a receipt cause I am paying for it. So I talked to my tax guy and he said I could. I sure hope he knows what he is doing. I am pretty sure he does. With our income it probebly wont take too much off. Maybe about a $4,000 deduction. If that 7.5% is what I saw. I calculated last year. I need to check my airline tickets. Maybe it will be a little more. Every little bit counts. I would like something back this year, it would help out so much. I could pay off some bills!! Yahooo

Yes if you borrowed the money and paid the dr bill it is deductable. Not the Interest on the loan but the whole bill. Also remember you need receipts only if audited (always best to have them) But like my airfare I have the Credit card receipt and I will call airline to get a better receipt if I was ever audited. Having everything together is best. But for tax person don't bring in receipts just add it all up in seperate catagories such as

prescribtions

drs-dentists

lab work

Travel costs-hotel air-tolls-parking ect

Miles to and from all dr and picking up prescriptions ect

food cost

That really helps expedite things along for the tax preparer

Yes if you borrowed the money and paid the dr bill it is deductable. Not the Interest on the loan but the whole bill. Also remember you need receipts only if audited (always best to have them) But like my airfare I have the Credit card receipt and I will call airline to get a better receipt if I was ever audited. Having everything together is best. But for tax person don't bring in receipts just add it all up in seperate catagories such as

prescribtions

drs-dentists

lab work

Travel costs-hotel air-tolls-parking ect

Miles to and from all dr and picking up prescriptions ect

food cost

That really helps expedite things along for the tax preparer

Should we include a detailed list with the tax return, so the IRS would know how we come up with the deduction ?

Thanks again ((BIG BEAR HUG))

Should we include a detailed list with the tax return, so the IRS would know how we come up with the deduction ?

Thanks again ((BIG BEAR HUG))

It makes it easier for you in longrun to have detailed list but not required. If you do detailed total at the bottem because thats what speeds things along at tax time :)

• 2 weeks later...