2nd Fill Today at OCC in TJ - Big Question for you

I went to OCC in TJ today for my second fill. I was told by my advisor initially that a "blind" fill was free for life and that a fill under flouro was $100. Due to my dire financial circumstances, I wanted to opt for a blind fill. So I get there and was told that they do not do blind fills. What? I didn't go prepared with $100 and told the gal what I was led to believe. She went and talked to someone and came back and relented "this one time" to accept a credit card. What? When I went into the room to see the doctor, I specifically told him I couldn't do the fill with flouro. He said okay and did one with flouro anywy. What? Okay, in a perfect world, we would all love to do it under flouro. I am in dire straits financially and really couldn't afford $100.

Anyone else been told that OCC does blind fills for free? I'm really curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Also when crossing the border, my friend only had a driver's license. I was 100% positive that crossing back into the US was fine with driver's license until June of '09 when passports will be required. The border lady gave us a VERY hard time. She let him through on his DL "this time." What a b*tch. I was furious and was one step away from coming undone with her. I'll double check the id requirements. She was just not wanting to let us get through without making it very difficult. Excuse me, b*tch. If my friend has a CA DL, doesn't that tell you he got his DL with his birth certificate and that's enough proof of citizenship? God, I'm getting worked up just reliving it.

Anyway., I'd appreciate any about blind fills that anyone may have.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I've hand many fills and unfills at OCC (only) and I have never heard from anyone that they do any blind fills at all..........they are pretty big on the flouro. I hope you can speak with whomever told you that originally.

As for the border, yes you've needed a birth cert and driver's license since the beginning of 2008 I think. I know when I went down in April 08 I did bring both. And starting this June you need either a passcard or a passport............... They even gave me attitude about why I didn't already have a passport in April. Some of them can be rude. Hope your fill went ok though.

There are days when it seems like everything goes against us. I had either heard or read somewhere, that blind fills were included with our initial surgery also. But I am not sure where I got that information. I'll have to research in all of my paperwork that I have been collecting.

As for the customs...................well one of the many hats I wear is that I am a certified passport agent. Here is the not so funny thing, I still do not have my passport. We are lucky that they extended the deadline to have a passport until June of 2009. It was to be January of 2009. I do know that you have to have a birth certificate and a drivers license to cross the Mexican and Canadian Borders. Here is another odd fact, it is not for getting into their countries, it is for getting back into ours. And that is only for driving. You can not fly north or south of the border without a passport. If it comes to the point where you have to get one, there is a passport card that only costs $45. That after June 2009 will allow you to drive back and forth across borders. (but not fly) In comparison to the $100 that we have to pay for a passport book.

Sorry that you had such a difficult time. It would be interesting to know what the policy is on blind fills.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I was told that you had to have your birth cert with you to cross the border or a passport. Happened to me once at the Canadian border by some foreign looking feller. Thought it was kind of ironic. He really did give me a hard time about it and threatened to put me in a little room with a swinging light bulb.

Doh... Karen and determination typed faster than me.

Hi, I live on the US side of the Canadian border, and have to cross daily, Picture Id and proof of birth is required, Passports will be mandatory in June, but they keep changing it. Anyone can get a drivers license and does not prove citizenship. So be prepared, birth certificate and picture Id required or they can detain you.

As far as fills go, it's kind of bad, they say free fills, but they only do fluoro and charge 100.00 for that, My son had to point that out to me, I missed it.

He was banded as well and asked that question.

Yeah, same here. Driver's license and birth certificate to cross the border now, passports starting June 2009 (if they do not change it again). I had one border patrol officer give us a hard time about not having passports/passcards but usually we do not have any trouble. We walk through though, never tried driving across.

I have the utmost respect for our border patrol and the difficult job they have securing our borders. I don't mind if they ask me questions concerning my right to legally enter the United States of America. Having a driver's license is not proof of citizenship. Calling a federal law enforcement officer a b*tch for doing her job...well, I just do not know what to say about that. Is it just me or has the whole world gone crazy? Okay, I'm done "venting" now.

As to fills, I was told they were $100 dollars for the flouro. I was never told that blind fills were available for free. There is going to be some bad information floating around, it is always best to check with the OCC before. They usually send me an email with the cost details/method of payment before I go down.

Dawn

Ok, here is where the confusion might be....

I was told before my surgery that the FILLS are free for life. But they do charge a $100 fee for the flouroscopy and that they DO NOT do blind fills. So there is no fee for the procedure itself, but there is a fee for the use of the machine, which are two different DRG or charge codes.

Hope that helps.

This is off the OCC website and where everyone gets confused, as for the DL, it is always smart to check requirements for crossing the border instead of making assumptions.

Tijuana, Mexico

The cost of the Lap Band procedure includes the following services:

Three surgeon team - which includes our Anesthesiologist

Two day stay at the hospital where surgery is performed

Operating room costs

All preoperative evaluations

Lap Band implant

Two nights at a 5 star hotel

Transportation to and from the airport

Fill adjustments and follow up care

They should put some kind of asterisk explaining that there is a $100 materials charge on there, it is misleading.

That's my understanding as well. Blind is free and fluoro is $100. I'm surprised to hear that!

Sorry for the bad experience coming back. I'm headed down in a few weeks and only have my DL.... hopefully it will all be okay!

I was told they only do fills under fluoro so yes it's a 100. and You need you DL and birth certificate to get back across the border. I don't think they do blind fills as fas as I know. So yes you will be givin a hard time if you don't take proper ID with you coming back across the border.

Carolyn

Dane(husband) banded 12/30/2008 Dr.Martinez at OCC

Yeah, same here. Driver's license and birth certificate to cross the border now, passports starting June 2009 (if they do not change it again). I had one border patrol officer give us a hard time about not having passports/passcards but usually we do not have any trouble. We walk through though, never tried driving across.

I have the utmost respect for our border patrol and the difficult job they have securing our borders. I don't mind if they ask me questions concerning my right to legally enter the United States of America. Having a driver's license is not proof of citizenship. Calling a federal law enforcement officer a b*tch for doing her job...well, I just do not know what to say about that. Is it just me or has the whole world gone crazy? Okay, I'm done "venting" now.

As to fills, I was told they were $100 dollars for the flouro. I was never told that blind fills were available for free. There is going to be some bad information floating around, it is always best to check with the OCC before. They usually send me an email with the cost details/method of payment before I go down.

Dawn

For the record, I did not call the border lady a "b*tch" to her face. Hello! She asked me a couple of questions that were clearly not within her realm of authoirity to ask ("How much is your car payment?" Excuse me?!!)

For the record, I did not call the border lady a "b*tch" to her face. Hello! She asked me a couple of questions that were clearly not within her realm of authoirity to ask ("How much is your car payment?" Excuse me?!!)

Oh my...Yeah some of the agents can be a pain in the butt...but what are they going to do?? Not let a US citizen back in to their own country? Rip up our birthcertificates? They did that to a friend of mine who had a mexican passport, they can do it to non citizens, but not to a us citizen!!! I've come across a few rude one's and I've come across many that are very nice!

Sorry for your frustration!

OK...I checked with Lori Becky, our Administrator, to confirm and you do not have a choice. They only do fills under fluoro for $100. They do NOT do blind fills.

It's basically like what CindyLou says, the actual fill saline is free and since the Dr's don't want to 'blindly guess' where the port is, they will always use the fluoroscopy x-ray machine to view your band and stomach for assurance that all is ok, which is what the $100 covers.

Hope this helps...