Please help ease fears of surgery in TJ

I am seriously thinking about having the lap band surgery with Dr. Ortiz. I have had two close friends that went to Dr. Ortiz and just loved him and his staff. My concern is the hospital and having surgery in TJ. My husband was born and raised in San Diego so he has been to TJ several times and said I would just die driving into TJ. Can anybody please help calm my fears as well as my husbands fears about having surgery in TJ? Is the drive into TJ scary? How far into TJ do you go? Did you have any trouble coming back across the boarder in to the US? I know I have a lot of questions I just have a 3 year old son that I am concerned about. Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Traci :unsure:

How long has it been since your hubby was in TJ?? Things are better then they were 10 years ago. The drive to Tj is a piecoe of cake, Ortiz's office is 5 minutes from the border. Park on the US side and take a cab in, thats what I d id and do everytime I go for a fill. The hotel you stay at is beautiful and very clean and the staff goes out of there way to make your stay a wonderful experience. Dr. Ortiz's office is very nice and clean also as wel las the facility he uses for his surgeries. You have not a worry in the world, you are in good hands. Dr. Ortiz is one of the best surgeons in the country. You will have no trouble coming back across the border..Good Luck to you

I had my first fill close to home (SJ, CA) - but I was not restricted at all, even at 2cc's. Dr. McKeen did not use an xray or barium swallow. So I am seriously thinking about going to TJ next month for my first fluro fill. My question is regarding getting to TJ from the airport. Do you think it's cheaper to get a car rental and drive across the border - or take a taxi from the airport? How do you normally get from San Diego Airport to Dr. Ortiz/Dr. Martinez?

p.s. it has been six weeks since my surgery and I have only lost 4 lbs. Is this correct why to describe:

180/176/do I enter the weight I want to attain?

Thank you!

Cindy

For 55 dollars each way Dr. Ortiz's officewil lget you to the airport. If not I think it would be cheaper to rent a car from the airport then take a cab. Once you get to the border you can park on the US side and walk over the border and take acab for 5$ to Ortiz's office. I'm going to be scheduling a fill for January 17th I think.

I have gone into Tijuana 3x all by myself and have had no problems. I was actually pretty nervous the first time but found it nothing like I expected. The area was not upscale but it was not as seedy as everyone described it. If you are REALLY nervous, pay to have the service take you from the airport to the clinic. You will feel more comfortable after the first visit.

My first visit was actually for the surgery and Dr. Ortiz's office had transportation all set up. It was nice to be able to look around and not have to worry about where we were going. For one of my fills I drove across the border and the only thing about that was there is a pretty long line to get back into the US (about 45 minutes for me) My third trip I decided it would be easier to fly to san diego and take the bus to the trolley and then walk across the border. This was probably the most colorful method (and cheepest) but I still had zero problems (and would actually do this again as it was the fastest).

I am a white woman with blond hair. If anyone screamed "american" it would be me. I have had more problems going to wal-mart in the middle of the night than I had going to the clinic. Don't worry!

I am thinking of going back for my 1st fill. I am in Ohio so it is a long flight but I am afraid that I will get someone that doesn't know what they are doing. I know that Dr. Martinez is very experienced with the fills. In Dr. Ortiz's book he said that if you go back for fills it could take maybe two times the first year to get to your level that is perfect for you. Where in the states it could take 5 or 6 or even more. How do you ever cordinate with someone that is flying in for a fill. I would love to have someone to ride with to the clinic to split the cost and to have the company. I don't think I would feel comfortable going any other way but the van. If anyone is going the end of January or early February, I would love to hear from you. I talked to Rene and he said just to send him your flight schedule and how many nights at hotel and he will take car of everything for us. I thought that was nice.