Best food on a budget

Amanda2008

I just got my first fill and Sunday is my first official day of eating solids again.

I'm quite broke right now unfortunately - what are the cheapest, healthiest foods you would recommend? My old low-budget standby (tuna casserole) is probably a no-no now because of the pasta and broccoli, but it was healthy in small portions and high in protein.

Would love to hear some suggestions.... keep in mind I'm cooking for one, I'm sick of soup and I don't own a crock pot!

thanks!

Amanda ~ I hear ya! You can still have the foods you've previously been eating, just watch your protein and calorie intake and make sure you are within the portion control guideline to succeed in losing weight. Be prepare to write on your "no-no" list of foods that don't agree with you and your band. To make it easier for me, what I've done is plan my menu for the week so I can see what kind of variety of foods I am going to eat. I normally don't do more than 3 different kinds in a single week, as I eat smaller portions and would make a good size portion, enough for freezing for later on. I can eat the same foods within the week, so this doesn't bother me. So choose your food wisely and plan ahead.

Also, so to the recipe section and browse thru the recipes. All the recipes can be made smaller for your benefit. INVEST in a crockpot for it's a great way to keep your food moist, especially the meat. Target has those small 2 quarts and I love mine as I use it when I got RVing with my camping group. Crockpot Chilis and stews are great source of proteins too.

Also, I make sure I have a nice size selection of protein 'food to go' so if I am lacking, I can pick up one of those items to help get my intake in for the day. And what I don't EAT, I would drink a protein shake.

Best to you babe...

I just got my first fill and Sunday is my first official day of eating solids again.

I'm quite broke right now unfortunately - what are the cheapest, healthiest foods you would recommend? My old low-budget standby (tuna casserole) is probably a no-no now because of the pasta and broccoli, but it was healthy in small portions and high in protein.

Would love to hear some suggestions.... keep in mind I'm cooking for one, I'm sick of soup and I don't own a crock pot!

thanks!

Amanda,

This was posted some time ago and requires no crockpot! Perhaps this can help you.

Best,

Labella

In order to fuel your body for fat burning... you need to eat a healthy protein breakfast. Planning ahead gives us one less thing to have to figure out. Eat the same thing every morning for this week.

This is a key to success... if you have set meals that you always make, you don't have to make the good choices off the top of your head. For example, if I know that every morning will be a yogurt with Kay's Apple Cinnamon Protein Cereal blended in and I have 7 cartons of Dannon Light and Fit in the fridge... there is NO room for straying.

This is how we do it.

Breakfast...250 calories and 15-20 grams protein...choose one and do it everyday this coming week!

[/size][/font]

* Protein drink, protein shake, ready to drink protein

* Egg and Morningstar Farm sausage patty or a regular Brown & Serve sausage link

* Ricotta, cottage cheese, yogurt and fruit with a spoonful of Whey Gourmet tasty protein powder swirled in there (maybe a few sliced almonds)

* Two cheese sticks

* Muscle Milk Protein Chocolate Pudding cup

* Breakfast Vitamins: 1 Bariatric Advantage Chewable Multi Formula plus 1 Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenge with food

Mid morning protein supplement... a 100 calorie, 15-20 gram protein boost

* AchievONE protein latte, Nectar fruity protein drink, Worldwide Pure Protein ready-to-drink shake, Extreme Smoothie ready-to-drink shake

* Mozarella stick

* Dannon Light and Fit yogurt

* 1/2 Power Crunch protein wafer bar, or 1/2 Revival Peanut Butter Paradise protein bar

* Coffee with Labrada ready-to-drink Vanilla Cream protein and DaVinci sugar free Caramel syrup

* Muscle Milk Chocolate Protein Pudding Cup

* bag of Revival Oh My Apple Pie Protein Crisps

Lunch...300-350 calories and 15-20 grams of protein consisting of food you prepare for and take to the office. Don't leave what you eat at your desk to chance. PLAN YOUR LUNCH. You'll burn more calories digesting your midday meal because protein is more difficult to break down than carbohydrates or fat and it will stay with you longer into your day.

* Roast deli turkey rolled up. Use a little salsa or ranch for dipping sauce, or roll up with hummus or whole grain mustard, or wasabi mustard. (MAYO is 100 calories per TEASPOON as are all fats, so measure and use as little as possible or substitute mustard or salsa-based moistening agents)

* 1/2 cup tuna salad or ricotta or cottage cheese on top of a slice of tomato

* Shredded salmon or deli meat blended with shredded lettuce, baby tomatoes, and lower fat dressing

* NO crackers, no rolls, no chips, no tortillas, no low carb wraps

* Lunch Vitamins: 1 Bariatric Advantage B-12 plus 1 Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenge with food

Mid-afternoon protein supplement...a 100 calorie, 15-20 gram protein boost

* AchievONE protein latte, Nectar fruity protein drink, Worldwide Pure Protein ready-to-drink shake, Extreme Smoothie ready-to-drink shake

* Mozarella stick

* Dannon Light and Fit yogurt

* 1/2 Power Crunch protein wafer bar, or 1/2 Revival Peanut Butter Paradise protein bar

* Coffee with Labrada ready-to-drink Vanilla Cream protein and DaVinci sugar free Caramel syrup

* Muscle Milk Chocolate Protein Pudding Cup

Supper...a target of 300-400 calories and 20 grams of protein consisting of lean protein and a small salad or lower carb vegetable.

Make this a standard meal comprised of grilled, pan sauteed, or baked protein such as fish, chicken, or egg... with different bottled sauces or jar salsas to moisten and a small salad.

* Pan sauteed shrimp, with a little bottled salsa to moisten

* Grilled or pan sauteed turkey burger

* Baked salmon

* Broiled tilapia filet

* Two egg omelet - saute a few mushrooms, red peppers, spinach, onion, and add cheese

* All protein served with a tossed chopped salad of romaine lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, cucumber cubes, and tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon balsamic... toss in a big bowl to coat entire salad. If you make a bigger salad, use 3 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar... be sure to season with salt and pepper!) You can use different salad ingredients for variety... sliced olives, cubed cukes, sliced grape tomatoes, chopped artichoke hearts. Sometimes, I just have sliced grape tomatoes and red onion... or tomato and avocado and spoon it on to pan sauteed shrimp with salt and pepper... easy and fast.

* Supper Vitamins: 1 Bariatric Advantage Chewable Multi Formula plus 1 Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenge with food

No bread, no potato, no rice, no pasta, no tortilla, no wraps, no low carb bread, no crackers.

If you are an evening snacker as I am... use either your mid morning or mid afternoon supplement as an 8-9pm supplement so you will not mindlessly snack. Give yourself permission to have one of the 100 calorie supplement foods listed as a planned eating event.

Bedtime: 1 Bariatric Advantage Passion Fruit Chewable Iron