Alcohol after Surgury

I didn't see it in my paperwork, but how long before you can have a drink? I know its empty calories and read everything about how you get tipsy easier. I am just wondering if anyone has asked Dr. Miranda and what she told you. This shoulder pain is killing me and a glass of Red wine has always helped me relax. I'm weening off the vicodin so I was thinking instead of the pills, maybe a glass or 1/2 glass of cabernet would help me get some sleep. Thanks!

I waited until I was on solids and then i've drank plenty of times and been OK. Just take it slow at first because your tolerance does a dive bomb! One night I drank a bit too much and was sick to my stomach the next day. Didn't get sick luckily. I really like vodka and cranberry, wine, and malibu and pineapple. Just remember to count those calories.

Jenn,

I found this on the web site for the National Association of Weight Loss Surgery (nawls)

"If you drank alcohol before surgery, you are likely to want to resume drinking alcohol following surgery. Most surgeons recommend waiting one year after surgery. And it is in your best interest to understand the consequences of drinking alcohol before you do it.

Alcohol is connected with weight regain, because alcohol has 7 calories per gram, while protein and vegetables have 4 calories per gram. Also, some people develop an addiction to alcohol after WLS, so be very cautious. Depending on your type of WLS, you may get drunker, quicker after surgery, which can cause health problems and put you in dangerous situations."

Here is a link to the entire article if anyone is interested:

http://www.nawls.com/public/333.cfm

Interesting read. I think moderation is the key but the above information is good to know.

Dawn

I didn't see it in my paperwork, but how long before you can have a drink? I know its empty calories and read everything about how you get tipsy easier. I am just wondering if anyone has asked Dr. Miranda and what she told you. This shoulder pain is killing me and a glass of Red wine has always helped me relax. I'm weening off the vicodin so I was thinking instead of the pills, maybe a glass or 1/2 glass of cabernet would help me get some sleep. Thanks!

Like Shelby, I had started drinking wine after my 21 post op diet. Drinking wine is much better for you healthwise than pain killers. I would have a 6 oz glass of wine for relaxation. When I go to parties, I plan accordingly and add ice to make my drink last longer.

Like Shelby, I had started drinking wine after my 21 post op diet. Drinking wine is much better for you healthwise than pain killers. I would have a 6 oz glass of wine for relaxation. When I go to parties, I plan accordingly and add ice to make my drink last longer.

Thats a good idea to add ice. Thanks all. I think I will wait for the start of my solids, its a week from Friday so not too far away. I read everything about drinking post surgery but I am 26, and still in college and have always been able to handle my liquer in the past, I am sad to give up beer, but to give up drinking completely is not an option. Just got to move into moderation town and make a new home for myself. :D

hate to sound like a prude here....but, I am SHOCKED at the support for drinking after WLS.

I'm not talking about an occasional (to me this would be once a week, or so) glass of wine.....I'm talking about someone who says "to stop drinking is just not an option"....This statement says volumes to me.....

And the statement "drinking wine is healthier than pain killers" is absurd. We were prescribed about 6 pills when we left (not told to drink to relax)....which they do because that should be all you need. If you need more than that I would assume you should see a doctor, not drink alcohol after WLS.

The advice to drink any alcohol while on a medical fast, I'm quite sure, would be frowned upon by any MD.

hate to sound like a prude here....but, I am SHOCKED at the support for drinking after WLS.

I'm not talking about an occasional (to me this would be once a week, or so) glass of wine.....I'm talking about someone who says "to stop drinking is just not an option"....This statement says volumes to me.....

And the statement "drinking wine is healthier than pain killers" is absurd. We were prescribed about 6 pills when we left (not told to drink to relax)....which they do because that should be all you need. If you need more than that I would assume you should see a doctor, not drink alcohol after WLS.

The advice to drink any alcohol while on a medical fast, I'm quite sure, would be frowned upon by any MD.

I didn''t interpret anyone's post as sounding like someone who drinks more that occasionally. I spent day 4 after surgery in the emergency room for 8 hours because of the pain I was in, my doctor there is the one who prescribed me vicodin for the pain after running numerous tests and catscans and even some test where I had to inhale radiation for an body scanner. My shoulder pain was so bad I could not leave the bed prior to that, and almost fainted twice. I dont think anyone else here was supporting "self prescribing" either.

I'm sorry your offended by my "stopping drinking is not an option" statment, but everyone here is different and leads their own lives. If you read too much into it and assume that it means drinking everynight then your overanalyzing it, thats not what I meant.

Hi! I did ask Dr. Miranda that very question last week. She told me that I could drink red wine after 3 weeks, i.e, once I begin to eat solid food. I didn't ask her about other liquor.

I dont know why I forgot to ask her that when I was there, thanks so much for the info!

It has to be a decision everyone makes for themselves, but I know for me as long as I count it in my calories for the day and don't go overboard i'm OK. Now I would be cautious drinking before and after surgery - from what I understand it thins your blood and could cause issues. I also don't drink for a few days before or after a fill. Really haven't been told not to, but I want to make sure i'm totally healed.

One thing that is really important to remember, we are eating so many fewer calories now so your tolerance will be in the toilet! In college, I could go toe to toe with just about any guy, but after the band it is a different story! So please take it slow you will be amazed at the difference. Remember, all those carbs and crappy greasy foods were helping soak that alcohol up! :)

jenn, I'm sorry I didn't give you the answer you wanted. I was not "offended"...just concerned about well meant, but inacurate support (ie; if he jumps off a bridge, would you). Very few on here are medical professionals, and you are on a medical liquid diet....this is important!!

you are on vicodin (i knew you didn't get it from Dr O, because I had a discussion with him, he said if you needed anything stronger than what he gave, you need to see a doctor), AND especially the fact that you are on a liquid diet and just had a major stomach surgery, NO One but a dr should be answering that question, and certainly shouldn't be telling you wine is better than prescribed medicine.

I'm so glad someone here gave you advice straight from a doctors mouth.

Again, I am not a prude, I drink occasionally (however, not since the surgery).... I was just concerned that you were getting the wrong advice. Please follow Dr Miranda's advice!

I have received outstanding advice and support on this board, but was shocked ( with a couple of exceptions), that you were getting such support for drinking alcohol during the liquid only phase of this journey (turns out against doctors advice).

Best Regards,

Cindy