Anyone have PCOS and been banded?

I was dx with PCOS a couple years ago, and have been taking Metformin ever since (not that it's actually helped much). Anyways, I'm curious the band has helped alleviate the your symptoms (ie. facial hair, skin probs, periods) and if you've had success losing weight. I have a very very difficult time losing weight on my own, and i'm concerned that i won't be able to lose it even with the band.

I was dx with PCOS a couple years ago, and have been taking Metformin ever since (not that it's actually helped much). Anyways, I'm curious the band has helped alleviate the your symptoms (ie. facial hair, skin probs, periods) and if you've had success losing weight. I have a very very difficult time losing weight on my own, and i'm concerned that i won't be able to lose it even with the band.

Babe, yes I have/had PCOS - I quit taking my Metformin ( I never was really compliant anyway ) and have been very, very successful with the band. Although it has slowed down and I am still not at goal - I am so very happy with my results. Facial hair was never a big problem with me but I had a very bad case of ancanthosis nigrans on the back of my neck and that has completely went away. I am planning on checking my insulin level in the next few weeks and I will let you know if it is normal or not. You won't go wrong with the band though!!!!

I was dx with PCOS about 4 years ago and I have been very successful with the band. I was 195 on the day of surgery and am currently 165. My weight loss has been somewhat slow, but its coming off none-the-less. There has been no change in other stuff you mentioned (i.e. facial hair) - - I have been told by my endocrinologist that the metformin (or for me - fortamet) is supposed to alleviate those things, but personally, the fortamet never made a bit of difference for me. I actually had to stop taking my fortamet because the pills are HUGE and I was taking 2 a day, and I could NOT keep them down. I haven't noticed a huge difference to be honest. My periods come fairly regularly now since losing weight and I have been losing slow and steady. No worries - - go for it!

I also have PCO. I was diagnosed about 13 years ago. I was banded only 3 months ago but have lost almost 50 lbs since then. I think not being able to eat bread and most carbs helps a lot. I've only been able to lose weight with low carb diets over the years.

Lisa B

I myself have the same issues... I was on metformin for awhile but had trouble with it my husband called them my "witch" pills. I have been lucky that I have not had to go back on them but I completely stopped drinking soda about a year ago... I still can't keep weight off on my own it always comes right back. I also have huge issues with facial hair and hormone levels. Both my doctor and a special feel that birth control or anything else wouln't help that it is all weight related. I agree because last year when I lost 50 pds (i did gain it back) I notice my facial hair was not as bad, it lightened and I did not need to bleach or shave it everyday. Losing even 15 pounds can help. Since my insurance has a exclusion on weight loss surgery I will be going to TJ. I had my PCP do some lab works to check for blood diseases (I have blood clots that run in the family) and I just got those results back on Friday so he says I am good to go that I had no pre existing conditions that would increase my risk of blood clots. It was a big concern my grandfather died from it and both my mom and sister are onn meds for it. So I was very glad to hear I was good to go.... So I am calling on Monday to set up my surgery date!

Just know you are not alone out there.... Many of us face the same issues! To me its the facial hair that bothers me more than anything... makes you feel not so girly sometimes...

Good luck!!