1st fill - how to tell when you have enough restriction?

So I had my first fill (not at OCC), and now have 3ccs in a 10cc band. I've had a couple of days to get used to it, and while I do have some sense of increased restriction, I haven't yet experienced the 'soft' signs of fullness (e.g. hiccup, runny nose) or any of the hard signs (e.g. PB'ing, sliming). I am also hungry again 2 hours of eating. Just one time, I felt some chicken go down too slowly because of not chewing it well enough. I am being extra careful about eating, but I'm again wondering if it's more willpower as opposed to bandpower that's keeping things under control. Is it too early to tell? I can go back to him for an adjustment within two weeks without paying extra, so I'm wondering how long I should wait before coming to a judgment about how much restriction I have.

So I had my first fill (not at OCC), and now have 3ccs in a 10cc band. I've had a couple of days to get used to it, and while I do have some sense of increased restriction, I haven't yet experienced the 'soft' signs of fullness (e.g. hiccup, runny nose) or any of the hard signs (e.g. PB'ing, sliming). I am also hungry again 2 hours of eating. Just one time, I felt some chicken go down too slowly because of not chewing it well enough. I am being extra careful about eating, but I'm again wondering if it's more willpower as opposed to bandpower that's keeping things under control. Is it too early to tell? I can go back to him for an adjustment within two weeks without paying extra, so I'm wondering how long I should wait before coming to a judgment about how much restriction I have.

You just got your fill on Friday, give it a week for you to test your band. Remember, your first fill is like a 'primer' and you really don't get too aggressive of a fill, as you and your band need time to adjust to this 'tightness'. Fills are done progressively. Your next fill, however, may be a good one. My first fill was only 1cc in my 4cc band and I had restriction for about a week and a half. My 2nd fill (4 weeks from my first one), I was given a .6cc fill and this is a good restriction fo me.

I don't have that "full feeling" per se, as I measure my food every meal, every day. I know Dr O says to eat 1/3 of what you use to eat, but I really think, IMHO, this really pertains between postop and up to your 2nd, or for some, 3rd fill. I CANNOT eat 1/3 of what I use to eat anymore ~ impossible. So, I just use the portion control my mentor had guided me: 4 oz protein, 2 oz veggie/fruit, and 2 oz grain/carbs, 3 meals a day and up to 1200 calories daily. What protein I can't eat, I drink it (protein shake, protein water, drinkable yogurt, liquid protein bullet, or a scoop of unflavored protein powder). With this guideline, I am able to eat most of the proteins and veggies/fruit..but hardly do I get to either start or half way finish my grains/carbs. My band can be fickle at times!

Hope this helps...

I got my first fill Jan. 8 - 1.8 CCs in a 4 CC band so I'm almost halfway full. I don't get hiccups or runny nose - I just suddenly feel not hungry.

However if I ignore that signal and continue eating (because my mind or my mouth wants it), or eat too fast or take too big bites, it leads to immediate pain/PB.

I understand now that this period of time is for me to ADJUST to the band and become a much slower eater. No more putting food in my mouth casually. So it is a willpower thing right now.

Your band is less than one-third full. I would expect you to have less restriction, but with some restriction, you will have to learn how to eat in a new way.

Thanks Jude and Amanda, it is always helpful to receive support and information here. Well, I had an interesting experience this morning. I was taking my usual morning medications, and for the first time, I experienced a pill getting stuck (capsule, about half the thickness of a nonchewable multivitamin). NOT a fun experience at all! Thankfully it went down after about 20 seconds, but those were very long, scary 20 seconds! I was not able to PB it up, though I tried.

I decided to have a Cafe Mocha in lieu of breakfast (I know, bad choice, but I was afraid to begin the day with solid food and forgot to bring a protein shake to work). I was able to purchase a nutrition bar with 10g protein for lunch, and was able to get it down with chewing slowly and taking smaller bites. No stuckage there.

I wonder if this is what people are talking about when they describe increased restriction in the morning. Quite a strange, changeable, unpredictable thing this band! I honestly have no idea how it will be tomorrow.

Thanks Jude and Amanda, it is always helpful to receive support and information here. Well, I had an interesting experience this morning. I was taking my usual morning medications, and for the first time, I experienced a pill getting stuck (capsule, about half the thickness of a nonchewable multivitamin). NOT a fun experience at all! Thankfully it went down after about 20 seconds, but those were very long, scary 20 seconds! I was not able to PB it up, though I tried.

I decided to have a Cafe Mocha in lieu of breakfast (I know, bad choice, but I was afraid to begin the day with solid food and forgot to bring a protein shake to work). I was able to purchase a nutrition bar with 10g protein for lunch, and was able to get it down with chewing slowly and taking smaller bites. No stuckage there.

I wonder if this is what people are talking about when they describe increased restriction in the morning. Quite a strange, changeable, unpredictable thing this band! I honestly have no idea how it will be tomorrow.

Yep, I am currently having a difficult time in eating right now too. So, I put a scoop of unflavored protein powder in my warm cocoa or tea and that helps with the protein intake, and then later on, I would have a protein shake.

For taking meds in capsules, make sure you drink something first before taking it. The capsules are just great in 'sticking' up to dry walls! I have to take an antibiotic right now and it's a capsule and I so don't want it. I find having a warm cup of water or tea would help it down. Don't drink too much at once, so you can follow up with another sip with no problems.

I just had my second fill saturday. 1.8 first fill and then total of 2.4 for my second. All I can say is this: You will when you DO have retriction. If you have to wonder if you have restriction, you probably don't. It is like night and day for me since Saturday!!

Thanks for the information. Today is my first day on solids after my fill. I ate slow. I chewed. And, didn't eat a whole lot. But, I really don't have restriction. It was complete willpower today. I'll see what the week brings. Hopefully with my second fill... I will be using more bandpower than willpower.

Kristy

Hi, everyone! I'm new at this and am still on soup and protein drinks and haven't had my first fill. I've been reading everything you're all writing about this. But here's my question: I absolutely cannot consume more than 1/2 cup of "full liquids" without experiencing excruciating pain in my shoulder. You all have counseled that when we get to the solid food stage, we should be eating 3-4 oz. of protein, 1/4 c. each of veggies/fruit and starches for each meal plus 2 snacks per day, 25 grams of fiber, 6-8 glasses of liquid. Were you all able to consume this amount as soon as you started eating solid foods or was it a process of slowly being able to consume that amount? I'm concerned about being able to get the necessary amount of nutrients. If this level of restriction continues, should I get a fill in 6-8 weeks? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

My shoulder pain improved with Solid foods. I even started on Solids early because I was having such bad pain when I was hungry. I still get shoulder pain, but it's mostly when I'm hungry. It has been better since my fill saturday, actually.

Yep, I am currently having a difficult time in eating right now too. So, I put a scoop of unflavored protein powder in my warm cocoa or tea and that helps with the protein intake, and then later on, I would have a protein shake.

For taking meds in capsules, make sure you drink something first before taking it. The capsules are just great in 'sticking' up to dry walls! I have to take an antibiotic right now and it's a capsule and I so don't want it. I find having a warm cup of water or tea would help it down. Don't drink too much at once, so you can follow up with another sip with no problems.

That's a great idea, I should stick some protein powder into my coffee, and try warmer liquids in the morning to help get those pills down.

Hi, everyone! I'm new at this and am still on soup and protein drinks and haven't had my first fill. I've been reading everything you're all writing about this. But here's my question: I absolutely cannot consume more than 1/2 cup of "full liquids" without experiencing excruciating pain in my shoulder. You all have counseled that when we get to the solid food stage, we should be eating 3-4 oz. of protein, 1/4 c. each of veggies/fruit and starches for each meal plus 2 snacks per day, 25 grams of fiber, 6-8 glasses of liquid. Were you all able to consume this amount as soon as you started eating solid foods or was it a process of slowly being able to consume that amount? I'm concerned about being able to get the necessary amount of nutrients. If this level of restriction continues, should I get a fill in 6-8 weeks? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

When did you have your surgery? I had a lot of trouble ingesting liquids for my first two weeks post-surgery. I wasn't able to drink much water or liquid at all in my first week. So it was quite a surprise when I found that I could ingest solid foods close to the amount I consumed pre-surgery. I think things will change for you as time progresses, so it would be too early to tell when to go for your first fill. And in my case, I don't seem to get more full on solid foods than I do on liquids, and I don't quite understand why...

I just had my second fill saturday. 1.8 first fill and then total of 2.4 for my second. All I can say is this: You will when you DO have retriction. If you have to wonder if you have restriction, you probably don't. It is like night and day for me since Saturday!!

What size band do you have? 1.8 first fill and 2.4 for second is 4.2. You must have a 10 cc band.

What size band do you have? 1.8 first fill and 2.4 for second is 4.2. You must have a 10 cc band.

I had 1.8 for my first and then a TOTAL of 2.4 for my second. They take all of the saline out and then insert it again. Specifically they added 1.8 the first fill. So when I went in for the second they only withdrew 1.6. Then after it was empty they inserted another 2.4. So I have 2.4 total. I probably didn't clarify. Sorry.