Chewing 30 Times

After having the band surgery, and finally on foods I chew, I have a hard time keeping count of how many times I chew something. We're supposed to aim for 30, but it's easy to lose count if you're not paying attention. I've been singing the ABCs in my head (28 counts, because W is two-beats, and you say "and Z"), but how do you guys do it? Any tricks?

After having the band surgery, and finally on foods I chew, I have a hard time keeping count of how many times I chew something. We're supposed to aim for 30, but it's easy to lose count if you're not paying attention. I've been singing the ABCs in my head (28 counts, because W is two-beats, and you say "and Z"), but how do you guys do it? Any tricks?

Hey, thats a great tip!!!! Thanks.

Hey, thats a great tip!!!! Thanks.

While this may not be a bad idea when you are first getting started, remember that there is nothing magical about the number 30. You need to chew your food to a liquid state; 30 chews may be more than enough for some foods, but for some meats and other tough fibrous foods, more than 30 is required. You will eventually get into the habit of realizing when your food is ready to be swallowed.

I often do several partial swallows while I am eating. I'm not really good about taking small bites, so I take a near normal size bite and swallow only part of it at a time, keeping back the parts of the bite that aren't liquid enough yet. This is probably way too much information and a bit gross! But basically, being banded is a learning experience of what works for you as an individual. I know I am never going to bother counting each chew, and at this point I don't have to as I have developed new eating habits. But if this works, go for it. Just remember that 30 may not be enough for some things, and learn to be aware of the consistency of the food in your mouth before you swallow it.

I agree that it is more to do with the consistency of the food than the actual number of bites. I sometimes mentally count them, but I actually do what snowbird described, which is partial swallows and controlling the rate of what goes down depending on how chewed up it is. Often I will start out with a smaller bite to test it out, and depending on how that goes, I might increase the size of my bite. So far, I haven't had problems with PBing and sliming, but that could be because I'm not filled enough.

I agree that it is more to do with the consistency of the food than the actual number of bites. I sometimes mentally count them, but I actually do what snowbird described, which is partial swallows and controlling the rate of what goes down depending on how chewed up it is. Often I will start out with a smaller bite to test it out, and depending on how that goes, I might increase the size of my bite. So far, I haven't had problems with PBing and sliming, but that could be because I'm not filled enough.

I do the exact same thing where I have the food in my cheek and swallow small bites of it at a time. I just make sure it is chewed up really good. Some meats (especially steak) don't get as chewed up as I would like, but I still chew it like crazy.

While this may not be a bad idea when you are first getting started, remember that there is nothing magical about the number 30. You need to chew your food to a liquid state; 30 chews may be more than enough for some foods, but for some meats and other tough fibrous foods, more than 30 is required. You will eventually get into the habit of realizing when your food is ready to be swallowed.

I often do several partial swallows while I am eating. I'm not really good about taking small bites, so I take a near normal size bite and swallow only part of it at a time, keeping back the parts of the bite that aren't liquid enough yet. This is probably way too much information and a bit gross! But basically, being banded is a learning experience of what works for you as an individual. I know I am never going to bother counting each chew, and at this point I don't have to as I have developed new eating habits. But if this works, go for it. Just remember that 30 may not be enough for some things, and learn to be aware of the consistency of the food in your mouth before you swallow it.

YEP! I do this too! Take normal bites a lot the time and swallow partial bites. I do take small bites of bread, cakes, meat etc.