What if you get the "flu" or swallow gum?

B) I Everyone!

I was just wondering, I am leaving for the airport in about 1/2 hour to hopefully become banded Nov 1, with my son who is 15. (Dr. Ortiz) Questions keep coming up, but the one that I was wondering about was: What if you get the flu or swallow gum? During the critical healing process, it wouldnt be good. Has anyone had this happen? Thanks Everyone! Good Luck to you ALL!

Teri

B) I Everyone!

I was just wondering, I am leaving for the airport in about 1/2 hour to hopefully become banded Nov 1, with my son who is 15. (Dr. Ortiz) Questions keep coming up, but the one that I was wondering about was: What if you get the flu or swallow gum? During the critical healing process, it wouldnt be good. Has anyone had this happen? Thanks Everyone! Good Luck to you ALL!

Teri

Hi Teri,

I'm not sure the flu would be any different. It may be a bit harder to get all the fluids you need and not drink before, during, or for an hour after you eat. It shouldn't be a problem at all during your liquid stage. Well, having the flu is a problem but I don't see how having the band would make it worse.

Swallowing gum, hmmm - never thought of that. I would think the worse thing would be you would PB it. As I have never PB yet (nock on wood) I don't know how that feels. I have got some things stuck. You tend to avoid thouse things from then on. For instance, I will never miss rice.

Good Luck,

Marc

Hi Teri -

If you get the flu or any illness that might cause you to throw up repeatedly (and this type of throwing up is quite different than a pb) you need to get to your doc immediately for anti nausea medicine. Throwing up alot is a primary cause of slippage.

a lot of bandsters keep a rx for nausea (sorry, can't spell it) at houme.

Hi Teri,

I'm not sure the flu would be any different. It may be a bit harder to get all the fluids you need and not drink before, during, or for an hour after you eat. It shouldn't be a problem at all during your liquid stage. Well, having the flu is a problem but I don't see how having the band would make it worse.

Swallowing gum, hmmm - never thought of that. I would think the worse thing would be you would PB it. As I have never PB yet (nock on wood) I don't know how that feels. I have got some things stuck. You tend to avoid thouse things from then on. For instance, I will never miss rice.

Good Luck,

Marc

Thanks for the info Marc! I will try and stay away from people who I know are "sick" since the flu season is around the corner. Teri :unsure:

Hi Teri -

If you get the flu or any illness that might cause you to throw up repeatedly (and this type of throwing up is quite different than a pb) you need to get to your doc immediately for anti nausea medicine. Throwing up alot is a primary cause of slippage.

a lot of bandsters keep a rx for nausea (sorry, can't spell it) at houme.

Thanks Mary! Is RX a prescription for nausea? Is there a brand name over the counter, or do you need a prescription, if so, do you have the name of the medicine, so I can keep it on hand? Thanks, I hope your doing well! I like reading your posts. Teri :D

Thanks for the info Marc! I will try and stay away from people who I know are "sick" since the flu season is around the corner. Teri :unsure:

Thanks Mary! Is RX a prescription for nausea? Is there a brand name over the counter, or do you need a prescription, if so, do you have the name of the medicine, so I can keep it on hand? Thanks, I hope your doing well! I like reading your posts. Teri :D

LOL sorry Teri had to chuckle at you ....but RX and prescription are the same thing... you would need to ask your MD about a medication that you can use either over the counter or write a prescription for one is all I think she was advising ---gotta luv you -----leaving for Disneyland tommorow --will get with you when we get back to see how you feel

Once you've had time to heal after surgery, you and your son might consider getting a flu shot to help protect you through the flu season. Also talk to your local doctor about having some nausea medication on hand as was suggested in some earlier posts. The most popular is phenergan and it is really wonderful if you have a pharmasist who can compound it for you in rub-on form. Heaving with the band hurts and can cause slippage.

Accidentally swallowing gum shouldn't be a big problem as your body temperature and stomach acid should dissolve it. I've heard both pro and cons for chewing gum regarding gas issues on this forum, but I chew gum frequently as it satisfies my need to chew something.

:D

LOL sorry Teri had to chuckle at you ....but RX and prescription are the same thing... you would need to ask your MD about a medication that you can use either over the counter or write a prescription for one is all I think she was advising ---gotta luv you -----leaving for Disneyland tommorow --will get with you when we get back to see how you feel

LOL too! I think I'm still drugged from the surgery! I use to work at a Pharmacy 25 yrs ago too. I knew that, but still in a daze at that time I think. LOL. ENJOY your trip to DisneyLand, we've always had so many great memories together there, although we usually go to DisneyWorld in FL, cuz its where the In-laws live. Almost time for YOU to eat REAL food!! you gotta love it. Teri :P

Once you've had time to heal after surgery, you and your son might consider getting a flu shot to help protect you through the flu season. Also talk to your local doctor about having some nausea medication on hand as was suggested in some earlier posts. The most popular is phenergan and it is really wonderful if you have a pharmasist who can compound it for you in rub-on form. Heaving with the band hurts and can cause slippage.

Accidentally swallowing gum shouldn't be a big problem as your body temperature and stomach acid should dissolve it. I've heard both pro and cons for chewing gum regarding gas issues on this forum, but I chew gum frequently as it satisfies my need to chew something.

Thanks Chelley!! I read ALL of your posts sometimes over and over, so glad you are still posting. I am a gum chewer, always have been, and was freaking myself out over swallowing it. I am soooooooo glad you are doing well at losing again. It had to have been frustrating, especially seeing your Mom and sister losing. But you ARE on the Right track. My son Kyle at 15, is a kid and Dr. Oritz said he would lose a lot faster then me, and thats ok as long as I lose. Hmm, the flu shot, I never had one before, just always shrugged it off, but I will check into it for sure now. Thanks so much, Chelley, KEEP UP THE AWESOME LOSING! I love it! :D