potentially weird side effect

I was banded on Dec 15 and by all accounts have had a remarkably easy time with the surgery itself and post op. 3 weeks after my surgery I ended up with what appeared to be an eye infection similar to pinkeye. I went to the doctor for treatment immediately and for the past three weeks have gone back as the "infection" won't go away. Today I went to an opthamologist for a further consult and was finally diagnosed with inflamation in my eye (irisitis), not the tissue surrounding it (normal pinkeye). The Dr explained that it is an immune response similar to the inflamation experienced in Chrones disease, in fact the same gene makes people prone to both problems.

It doesn't seem too serious, but it makes me think. Is this a latent immune response to a foreign body or completely unrelated? It's also possible that I did have an infection, but that caused the immune response and the current inflamation. The Dr thought it was interesting that I had had surgery so recently but there is no way to know if there is a connection.

Anybody else have any weird health issues shortly after surgery? The good news is that aside from this annoyance, I am doing really great!

Nope, I didn't have anything like that at all. If anything, since I have been banded, I am a whole lot more healthier ALL around. I'd say it was from all the vitamins I take and eating much much better since being banded. So, not sure your problems are related but who knows. Anything is possible.

Hi there :) I work for an ophthalmologist part time (have done this for 10 yrs). I am thinking that you mean Iritis. The doctor isn't in today but I'm curious as to what his opinion would be on this subject. I was banded by Dr. Martinez at the OCC on 1/19/09. I too feel I will be much healthier like the other poster replied(vitamins, adequate protein, drastically better diet and increased mobility/exercise) but I also understand your concern regarding decreased immunity and having a foreign object inside you. I will look into this more (internet research and maybe ask the doc I work for)...thanks for bringing this up. Hope you are healing well. What drops did they give you?

Jennifer

(will create a ticker and taglines and stuff soon! I'm new!)

Hi there :) I work for an ophthalmologist part time (have done this for 10 yrs). I am thinking that you mean Iritis. The doctor isn't in today but I'm curious as to what his opinion would be on this subject. I was banded by Dr. Martinez at the OCC on 1/19/09. I too feel I will be much healthier like the other poster replied(vitamins, adequate protein, drastically better diet and increased mobility/exercise) but I also understand your concern regarding decreased immunity and having a foreign object inside you. I will look into this more (internet research and maybe ask the doc I work for)...thanks for bringing this up. Hope you are healing well. What drops did they give you?

Jennifer

(will create a ticker and taglines and stuff soon! I'm new!)

It was iritis. As I said, aside from this I feel great. I'm looking forward to my first fill on Friday and felt good enough to have it 2 weeks ago but I wanted to wait the full 6 weeks. The steroid drops I was given are working wonders as we speak, my eye is so much better already. I'm going to ask more questions when I see the doctor again next week. I did a bunch of research and found there is a strong link to same gene that makes people predisposed to Chrones, which I thankfully don't have, but there is a history of in my family so I probably carry the gene. Anyway it's probably completely unrelated, or maybe any surgery or shock to the body can potentially trigger it if you are predisposed? If you do find anything out let me know. I thought it was worth a shot to see if anyone else had any auto-immune issues after surgery.

Thanks for the response

Louise