Esophagus Spasm

Hey everyone, all is pretty well with me so far.. No gas and bloating is just about gone. The only thing is the esophagus spasm. I emailed Dr. Ortiz with what I was feeling and that's what he told me it was.. He said it would go away in a couple of weeks, but I'm worried because I have not seen anyone else post about these spasms on this board or any other board.. Has anybody else had these esophagus spasms right after they were banded???

I'm afraid that this could be a problem when I start to eat solid foods again!! :lb12:

Thats interesting. Never heard of it. I'm sure it isn't anything to worry about though. If it was, the Doctor would have said so. Try to relax and stay calm or you might make it worse. I know my muscle spasms in my back get worse when I am stressed. I bet warm liquids would feel good on it though and might even relax the muscle a bit. Sure hope the pain goes away soon!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have them too. A lot of them, as my surgery was a little over a week ago. I think it may have something to do with the hernia that Dr. O fixed while performing the surgery.

Fortunately they are becoming less dramatic, and frequent, and I'm familiar with the sensation from childhood.

I hope this helps a little. :)

Hey everyone, all is pretty well with me so far.. No gas and bloating is just about gone. The only thing is the esophagus spasm. I emailed Dr. Ortiz with what I was feeling and that's what he told me it was.. He said it would go away in a couple of weeks, but I'm worried because I have not seen anyone else post about these spasms on this board or any other board.. Has anybody else had these esophagus spasms right after they were banded???

I'm afraid that this could be a problem when I start to eat solid foods again!! :lb12:

Yes, this is normal and I only had it a couple of times but it went away soon afterwards. Be patient, it will go away. Glad to see you are listening to your body and called for help from OCC.

Don't forget ~ you just went through major surgery. Your stomach is so mad at you! The food in your newly pouch is saying "What the heck? You want me to go through that TINY hole?" Your throat is saying, "Hurry up! There's a line (of food) behind me wanting to go through too!"...so, your whole body is going out of whack and then your brain starts to 'stress out' and trying to find a solution. It can be a vicious circle.

Just relax and use your instinct and try sipping some warm (not hot) tea and ttreat yourself a bubble bath and dream of your new body in that cute 'little black dress' you are planning to purchase! YEAH!!