Good idea? Bad idea?

Okay, forgive me if I make any mistakes as to where I'm posting this but I'd like some input. ;)

I'm a 22 year old Marine wife & SAHM of two beautiful boys. My eldest son is 22 months and my youngest is 7 months old. Now I've always been heavier then everyone in my family, friends included, and I'm sick of it. I've been on diets here and there and while it's only temporary weight loss, I'm looking for a more permanant kind. I've dealt with weight problems my whole life and now is when I actually have an oppurtunity to do something serious about it. I've always been able to lose some weight here and there but after my last pregnancy, it just won't go away!! :rolleyes:

I've been looking online at all the website and doing my research and this honestly seems like the best thing for me. I've talked to my mother and she's more then willing to come down and help take care of my kids. My husband said he supports me 1000% but nonetheless, he loves me the way I am. :D So while everything seems good and I get the go ahead from a lot of people, most of my friends are all "OMG :o NOOOO!" They're telling me that they're "heard" horror stories about the lapband and blah blah blah. I really don't care what they think though because in the end I'm going to do what I think is best but what the heck?!

Anyway, my question is...what are the possible things that could go wrong? What horrow stories are they talking about? Side effects? Should I be scared? lol.

Okay, forgive me if I make any mistakes as to where I'm posting this but I'd like some input. ;)

I'm a 22 year old Marine wife & SAHM of two beautiful boys. My eldest son is 22 months and my youngest is 7 months old. Now I've always been heavier then everyone in my family, friends included, and I'm sick of it. I've been on diets here and there and while it's only temporary weight loss, I'm looking for a more permanant kind. I've dealt with weight problems my whole life and now is when I actually have an oppurtunity to do something serious about it. I've always been able to lose some weight here and there but after my last pregnancy, it just won't go away!! :rolleyes:

I've been looking online at all the website and doing my research and this honestly seems like the best thing for me. I've talked to my mother and she's more then willing to come down and help take care of my kids. My husband said he supports me 1000% but nonetheless, he loves me the way I am. :D So while everything seems good and I get the go ahead from a lot of people, most of my friends are all "OMG :o NOOOO!" They're telling me that they're "heard" horror stories about the lapband and blah blah blah. I really don't care what they think though because in the end I'm going to do what I think is best but what the heck?!

Anyway, my question is...what are the possible things that could go wrong? What horrow stories are they talking about? Side effects? Should I be scared? lol.

I can't imagine what they are talking about. The horror stories they may be referring to would be for the gastric bypass. That is a much more intense surgery where there is a lot that can and often does go wrong. If they are talking about the lap band, and I can't believe that they are, they are grossly misguided. The only so-called horror story I can think of is a slip and that is fixable and very very rare and won't happen if you follow the rules. Remember, with gastric it is permanent and cannot be undone. The lap band can be undone if need be. Far far fewer side effects and far fewer post op problems too. Mostly gas.

Do a lot of research and reading and DO NOT listen to your friends who don't know the truth or are listening to something with only 1/2 of an ear. And you might want to keep your surgery a secret from a lot of people too. You will find that many of them 'think' they know all about the surgery when in fact, they do not. A lot of your friends may persuade you not to do it, but only you can decide if it is right.

My advice, REASEARCH and read all you can on this very site too! Ask questions, Talk to Dr. Ortiz. YOu will soon discover that you are in very good hands right here.

I too think that maybe your friends are thinking about gastric bypass and not lapband. My family doctor initially thought that's what I was talking about when I told him I was planning on getting lapband surgery.

Do your own research and find the facts for yourself. Only you can decide what is right for you.

I think that there are alot of stories on how "bad" the band is because those are what get headlined. I kept my surgery a secret and I know many on this site kept their surgery a secret too. It is like plane crashes. Everybody is afraid to fly, but that is because it is such a big deal when one crashes. Forget the million of flights that go off without a hitch. Same with any optional surgery.

I love my band. It was my family that were FREAKED about going to TJ mexico for my surgery. Now that is where I heard horror stories. Even my mexican friend (husband blabbed) begged me not to go down. But once I showed those closest to me the OCC site. They were convinced. This forum helps too.

I wished I would have done it 5 years ago...

People who down play the band know little to nothing about the Band, they have alot of mistaken (mis-remebered haha) information, and make judgments before being educated on the band.

You have to be realistic, with any surgery there can be complications and there are a few things that can go wrong. However these complications are a very small percentage of the the people who have the band and usually its self inflicted.

I wish I would have done this years ago. The band is a tool, its not a magic carpet ride, YOU still have to work with your band, make the right food choices. You have to make your health and weightloss your #1 priority for you. I think the people who fail are the ones who think the band will magicly make them loose weight. Be prepaired to make a lifestyle change assisted with a tool to move you onto a healtier and fit life...Sometimes it takes two to tango....

Good Luck

Jason