Did anyone here continue to lose weight after starting solids?

I know there are a million posts about people not losing weight and being frustrated after starting solids, but seriously why is this the case? I mean I am eating 1200 calories, drinking water, getting enough protein, eating the right foods, exercising, but I have not lost a thing since starting solids a week ago. I really don't understand this concept, it makes me want to go back on the liquid diet. My family is starting to bug me about not losing, and I don't want them to think I spent all this money for nothing. Another thing is, Dr. Ortiz told me, and I also heard it on a youtube video that if you follow the rules, you can lose 30% of your weight in the first 6 to 8 weeks. I am starting to wonder how this is even possible. I have all these goals set, and don't want to waste a month or two without losing anything.

So, is there anyone here who actually did lose weight before their first fill, and how did you do it?

I am feeling the same way. I was down and then back up and then down again and luckily today I was at 18.5 lbs lost so I know I haven't gained anything but I haven't been making the best food choices and part of me seriously wants to go back on the liquids diet until my fill! My friend had her lapband in Mexico city about 5 years ago and she was on liquids for 6 weeks after her surgery so she didn't have to go through this awkward stage except for 1 or 2 days before her first fill...

I am just frustrated because I don't know what to eat or how to eat and I am just scared that I will gain back those 19 lbs before I hit my "sweet spot"... Ugh...

I am feeling the same way. I was down and then back up and then down again and luckily today I was at 18.5 lbs lost so I know I haven't gained anything but I haven't been making the best food choices and part of me seriously wants to go back on the liquids diet until my fill! My friend had her lapband in Mexico city about 5 years ago and she was on liquids for 6 weeks after her surgery so she didn't have to go through this awkward stage except for 1 or 2 days before her first fill...

I am just frustrated because I don't know what to eat or how to eat and I am just scared that I will gain back those 19 lbs before I hit my "sweet spot"... Ugh

Yeah, it's very frustrating. I just don't understand how if you are doing everything right, how can you not lose weight. :angry:

I lost, but I really watched what I ate. I felt like I had some restriction even before my first fill. I weigh every Friday morning and I have had only 1 week where I either gained or stayed the same and that was the week of Christmas, New Years. We took a small vacation and had to eat out all the time, so I kind of got off the diet.

I lost, but I really watched what I ate. I felt like I had some restriction even before my first fill. I weigh every Friday morning and I have had only 1 week where I either gained or stayed the same and that was the week of Christmas, New Years. We took a small vacation and had to eat out all the time, so I kind of got off the diet.

Did you eat 1200 calories? Or less or more? I am eating way less then what I ate before banded, and I only eat when I feel hungry and stop when I feel satisfied. I feel like I am doing everything right.

I'm starting solids in 3 days and I'm sooo scared of everything you just wrote! I just know this scenario is going to happen...will be following this thread for sure...

J.

Did you eat 1200 calories? Or less or more? I am eating way less then what I ate before banded, and I only eat when I feel hungry and stop when I feel satisfied. I feel like I am doing everything right.

I had no restriction from my surgery. I did lose some weight in between the liquid stage and my first fill. I weighed 225lbs. the day of surgery. I lost about 12 lbs. on liquids and I lost another 6-7 lbs. between starting solids and my first fill on January 10th. I only lost 1 lb. during the Christmas holidays. I really had to watch my portions and I try to stay around 1200 calories daily. I was determined not to be one of those people that gained weight before their first fill. It took a lot of willpower, but it can be done. I am 37 years old, I have lost and gained weight so many times that my body has become very resistant. If I can do it, anyone can.

I have now had my 2nd fill and it is much easier, but it is also slower for me because I have already lost 54 lbs. I am steadily losing 1-2 lbs. per week on average.

Stick to the rules and I promise you will see results, maybe not as quickly as you would like, but you will eventually.

I really have nothing scientific to back it up, but here is my 2 cents:

You need to keep in mind that if you were on the usual pre-op you were doing 2 protein shakes a day. Then, you went on liquids for 21 days. You have had surgery which puts your body into shock as is, then you are doing it a 2nd time by the liquid diet. Then, when you go back on solids your body is like screw you....you give me nothing so i'm holding on to every calorie you give me! <_<

I think your body needs time to get used to you having solids again. I encourage you to eat as close to 1200 as you can. I had a friend that went on a really strict diet and did well, but the second she would even splurge just a tiny bit she would gain like 5lbs in a couple days.

YOu have to give your body time to heal and this band is a huge shock to your body so it's gonna take time. This is a process so give it time - it will come around!

Same here... very frustrated because I can eat alot now - and I am trying to stick to the no snacking and only 3 meals but I am finding myself getting hungrier every day.... I am back in the gym now so I am hoping that helps.

Good luck... when is your fill scheduled? I am feb 21 but I am not going back to OCC... Im going to a fill centers usa

I did continue to lose weight after the solids. I really did stick to what Dr. Miranda told me, that was 1/2 cup of protein, 1/4 cup of veggies or fruit and if you are still hungry, 1/4 cup of carbs. I do not count calories I do it strictly by measurement. Since my surgery on Dec. 15th I have lost 20lbs. When I did write down my calories just out of curiosity, I found that I was eating 800-900 calories. If I eat more than that I get great pains in my chest. I am assuming that that is my new stomach telling me that I need to stop eating. Yes there are days when I want to eat everything, but that is when your will power has to come in. Because it has nothing to do with being hungry. It is more that I am addicted to food. Food will always be around it is just that we have to realize that we are not being deprived. We can take a small taste of something, just don't eat the whole thing. I will be having my first fill Feb. 11th, that is 8 1/2 weeks since my surgery and I desperately need more help. I don't want to set myself up for a fall by saying all of this. It is hard! A lot harder than I thought it would be.

I keep reading all of the posts by long time losers and are encouraged by their comments, I just want to follow in their footsteps.

Check out Lisal and Bigali's comments on the other topic about the weight flying off. They both are great and have lost a extreme amount of weight. I really appreciate it when these gals contribute to us beginners. Thank you Lisal and Bigali

I really have nothing scientific to back it up, but here is my 2 cents:

You need to keep in mind that if you were on the usual pre-op you were doing 2 protein shakes a day. Then, you went on liquids for 21 days. You have had surgery which puts your body into shock as is, then you are doing it a 2nd time by the liquid diet. Then, when you go back on solids your body is like screw you....you give me nothing so i'm holding on to every calorie you give me! dry.gif

I think your body needs time to get used to you having solids again. I encourage you to eat as close to 1200 as you can. I had a friend that went on a really strict diet and did well, but the second she would even splurge just a tiny bit she would gain like 5lbs in a couple days.

YOu have to give your body time to heal and this band is a huge shock to your body so it's gonna take time. This is a process so give it time - it will come around!

Ya know, that definitely makes sense. You just get used to seeing the scale move everyday from the 21 liquid diet, so it gets frustrating when it doesn't move in a week or even more.

Same here... very frustrated because I can eat alot now - and I am trying to stick to the no snacking and only 3 meals but I am finding myself getting hungrier every day.... I am back in the gym now so I am hoping that helps.

Good luck... when is your fill scheduled? I am feb 21 but I am not going back to OCC... Im going to a fill centers usa

My fill is scheduled for Feb 20th at the OCC, I can't wait. Good luck to you, too!!! :)

My wife and I both plateaued for around 10 days (we were both banded 12/16) after starting solids, but had some weight loss prior to our first fill, which was yesterday at the OCC. Dr. So said that if you had a good deal of weight losson the pre op diet prior to surgery then it was normal to plateau for awhile after starting solids. Just don't get discouraged and stick with the plan because it will happen when your body is ready.

One other interesting thing he said was that the average weight loss between surgery and first fill was 15 to 25 lbs. which I thought was a little high. Probably depends on how much you have to lose and how much was lost prior to surgery.

Good luck. Stick to it. It WILL happen.

P.S. That barium swallow thing under floroscopy sp? was way cool. Also a good feeling to know everything was where it was supposed to be.

My wife and I both plateaued for around 10 days (we were both banded 12/16) after starting solids, but had some weight loss prior to our first fill, which was yesterday at the OCC. Dr. So said that if you had a good deal of weight losson the pre op diet prior to surgery then it was normal to plateau for awhile after starting solids. Just don't get discouraged and stick with the plan because it will happen when your body is ready.

One other interesting thing he said was that the average weight loss between surgery and first fill was 15 to 25 lbs. which I thought was a little high. Probably depends on how much you have to lose and how much was lost prior to surgery.

That is very good to know. I only lost 7 lbs on the pre-op, and lost 18 after surgery, so I guess I am right on track. :)

I had a NSV today, I tried on a pair of 22 jeans, which I haven't worn in 2 years, and they fit perfectly. So I did drop a size or maybe even 2. That made my day!!!

Sorry but I have another view point. I lost about 20 or a little more from surgery to 1st fill. When I started solids I made sure that I ate between 1400 to 1500 calories daily and had consistent weight loss. I also stuck to the 3 to 4 oz of protein, 1/4 cup of veggies, and 1/4 cup carb or fruit. Dr. Miranda told me that if you are exercising you need at least 1400 to 1500 daily or your body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose. Worked for me.

dawns

That is very good to know. I only lost 7 lbs on the pre-op, and lost 18 after surgery, so I guess I am right on track. :)

I had a NSV today, I tried on a pair of 22 jeans, which I haven't worn in 2 years, and they fit perfectly. So I did drop a size or maybe even 2. That made my day!!!

I know what you mean about the clothes thing. I had worn my smallest jeans down there which were comfortable when we left and by the time we came home yesterday morning I was able to walk right out of them. :D

Thank God for sweatpants as I know they are good for at least 40 lbs of weight loss without falling off. :rolleyes:

I too haven't lost much since solid foods. Maybe lost about 5 pounds initially, and have lost nothing in the last month. I keep fluctuating between gaining a few and losing a few, and can't seem to get out of the high 230 range. I have on occasion resorted to going back on liquids for a day or two, but I think this defeats the purpose of having the band. I have also read that it can sometimes take 2-3 fills before seeing the weight loss. Maybe the body is plateauing due to the shock of the initial weight loss and needs time to adjust before it will let it go.

I also think this is going to be harder work than many were anticipating. Having said that, it is easier work than doing it all alone without the band.