Quick update - had my first OCC fill!

I had my fill with Dr. So this afternoon. Good news is, the band, tube, port, and pouch are all doing wonderfully. There is no leak. He was able to take out 2.2ccs out of my band, which meant that not all of the 3ccs went in (possible due to air bubbles or it coming out after the needle was withdrawn). It also meant that I'm one of those rare cases that need more fill than the average person. So after testing the pouch and flow of liquid with the barium swallow with higher increments of fill, I now have 3.2ccs. I'm on liquids now, so won't know how it feels, but tomorrow I'm allowed to have breakfast, so that will be the first test.

I feel so relieved that the band is ok. That was my biggest fear. And the fill experience was so easy and reassuring and well-done. Just one poke and that was it. When you want something done right, go to Mexico!

Will update more as I start solid foods again and get to experience what this fill is like.

I had my fill with Dr. So this afternoon. Good news is, the band, tube, port, and pouch are all doing wonderfully. There is no leak. He was able to take out 2.2ccs out of my band, which meant that not all of the 3ccs went in (possible due to air bubbles or it coming out after the needle was withdrawn). It also meant that I'm one of those rare cases that need more fill than the average person. So after testing the pouch and flow of liquid with the barium swallow with higher increments of fill, I now have 3.2ccs. I'm on liquids now, so won't know how it feels, but tomorrow I'm allowed to have breakfast, so that will be the first test.

I feel so relieved that the band is ok. That was my biggest fear. And the fill experience was so easy and reassuring and well-done. Just one poke and that was it. When you want something done right, go to Mexico!

Will update more as I start solid foods again and get to experience what this fill is like.

Thats awesome.. Sorry I did not get to meet up wih you.. Might see you at the hotel tommarow... Good luck with breakfast!

This morning I decided to test my new fill by eating one of the more potentially difficult foods - toast. I wanted to take advantage of the fact that I was at the Lucerna, and if I had any issues, I could get to the clinic if needed. I was able to eat 2 slices, but I was very careful about chewing and taking my time, almost getting it to liquid form before swallowing. I had a croissant at the airport, was able to eat that as well, no difficulty. I wish I had healthier options, but my choices were very limited. Got home, had a lean cuisine, no problems eating that, and I feel comfortably full. I could probably eat more, but it's a pretty comfortable fullness so far.

I was told it might take some time for me to feel the full effects of this fill, so I'm going to see over the next few weeks how it goes.

Sharon,

I'm glad to hear your band is okay, hooray!!! You must be a good chewer `cause I haven't been able to eat bread or anything doughy since my first fill- it HURTS! Yet I can eat popcorn and nuts no problem-which I find odd.

I'm curious about the OCC's rules for eating after a fill. When I got both of mine in Marysville, I had to do 24 hrs of liquids and 24 hours of mushies.

My restriction seemed good for about a week but my appetite came back Friday and I've been SO hungry since then. I wonder if maybe it's because my TOM is coming up.

I'm tempted to get a little more fill but I'm going to wait because we are going to Florida on Saturday and I don't want to end up with problems being too tight on vacation and so far from home.

It's crazy how different all of our experiences are. I used to think that if you couldn't eat certain things it was because you have good restriction, but I am now seeing that you can have very little restriction but still get foods stuck like I do. Still no PB or slime, just stuck.

It's hard because I'm gravitating towards mushier foods (beans, avacodos, cottage cheese, the odd baked potato)and they don't seem to keep me full as long as, say, a piece of meat would. I'm definitely getting enough protein but I'm still hungry. Again, it could e PMS. Who knows?

Until I get really good restriction, I'm back to wrting everything I eat down. I find that really helps. You can track it on-line with a site like sparkpeople.com or just keep a journal. I bought a nice leather-bound journal that I'm using to write everything- food, feelings, etc. I'd die if anybody ever found it, haha.

Anyway, good luck. Keep us all posted. I hope to see you at the Lions Gate meeting in March. Say hello to everyone for me.

Sabrina:)

3.2cc's seems like it would be really tight since we have a 4cc band, or its that normal? I got my first fill at OCC yesterday, he put in 2cc's. What is the average total cc's for peoples last fill? I am wondering what to expect for fills 2 and 3. Also how long did you all wait to get your second fill after your fitst, or does it all depend on heating habits. Do people get up to a full 4cc's. Anyway, Good luck, I'm glad you are feeling good!

I do not think that there is an "average" for any fill. I have 1.4cc's in my band and I still have restriction. I know there are others on this site with less than 2cc's in there band losing weight with good restriction. Some people might need 4cc's in their band and some people need less. That is just the way the lap band works. It is not a "one size fits all" solution.

I have only gone to OCC for my fills and on my first fill I had to stay on liquids for 3 days but for my second fill I could eat that day. My husband (also banded) just got another fill on Friday (3rd or 4th fill, I do not remember) and there was no eating restriction.

What I have found (after 11 months) is that junk food is not well restricted and that I have to use my own "willpower" to avoid cookies, candy, ice cream, frozen yogurt, chips, etc. etc. etc. Of course, liquids like milkshakes, frozen coffee drinks, fruit smoothies and others will never be restricted. Once again, I have to say "NO" to myself as my band will not stop me.

If you are gravitating toward mushier food because you cannot eat solid protein, you may be too tight. Try taking smaller bites and chewing 30 times and see if that helps before you go get more fill. Being tighter wil make it harder to eat solid protein and you will continue to gravitate toward mushier food. But, that is just my opinion, some people like to keep their band "tight." I am not one of those people. I would rather lose slower than be too tight.

Dawn

3.2cc's seems like it would be really tight since we have a 4cc band, or its that normal? I got my first fill at OCC yesterday, he put in 2cc's. What is the average total cc's for peoples last fill? I am wondering what to expect for fills 2 and 3. Also how long did you all wait to get your second fill after your fitst, or does it all depend on heating habits. Do people get up to a full 4cc's. Anyway, Good luck, I'm glad you are feeling good!

It isn't normal, from what I was told. But I'm one of those rare cases apparently that need more fill to achieve enough tightness.

I think that how much fill is put in and how much time between fills depends on each person. When I was having it done under fluoro this second time around, the amount was determined by how the water was flowing through the band. I had my first and second fill three weeks apart, and that was considered ok because I had hardly any restriction with the 2.2ccs I got from the first fill. However, I am supposed to wait five weeks before my next fill.

I was told that no one from OCC has the full 4ccs in their band, but I am not sure if this was for their first or second fill or for the life of the band. I have read on another forum of some patients having more than 4ccs in the 4cc band as apparently it can handle more, but I'm pretty sure those are rare and very individual cases where the doctor felt that would be ok.

Sharon,

I'm glad to hear your band is okay, hooray!!! You must be a good chewer `cause I haven't been able to eat bread or anything doughy since my first fill- it HURTS! Yet I can eat popcorn and nuts no problem-which I find odd.

I'm curious about the OCC's rules for eating after a fill. When I got both of mine in Marysville, I had to do 24 hrs of liquids and 24 hours of mushies.

My restriction seemed good for about a week but my appetite came back Friday and I've been SO hungry since then. I wonder if maybe it's because my TOM is coming up.

I'm tempted to get a little more fill but I'm going to wait because we are going to Florida on Saturday and I don't want to end up with problems being too tight on vacation and so far from home.

It's crazy how different all of our experiences are. I used to think that if you couldn't eat certain things it was because you have good restriction, but I am now seeing that you can have very little restriction but still get foods stuck like I do. Still no PB or slime, just stuck.

It's hard because I'm gravitating towards mushier foods (beans, avacodos, cottage cheese, the odd baked potato)and they don't seem to keep me full as long as, say, a piece of meat would. I'm definitely getting enough protein but I'm still hungry. Again, it could e PMS. Who knows?

Until I get really good restriction, I'm back to wrting everything I eat down. I find that really helps. You can track it on-line with a site like sparkpeople.com or just keep a journal. I bought a nice leather-bound journal that I'm using to write everything- food, feelings, etc. I'd die if anybody ever found it, haha.

Anyway, good luck. Keep us all posted. I hope to see you at the Lions Gate meeting in March. Say hello to everyone for me.

Sabrina:)

It is crazy how different all of our experiences are, with everything from the pre-op to surgery to restriction with fills. I too get hungrier at TOM, but I've read that there is usually an increase in restriction around that period of time. And it's weird too about the food. When I had my first fill, I had pills getting stuck in the morning, but could eat food without problem, as long as I chewed it well. I couldn't understand how I could eat a sandwich - dry, with bread, meat, etc. and yet have trouble with pills. I think you're right about me being a good chewer. I probably always have been, to some degree. And the fullness feeling after eating eluded me. I would get just as full on water as I did on food.

As for the rules at OCC following a fill, I think they differ depending on which fill it is and according to each patient. I've heard everything from liquids for three days to it being ok to do solids pretty much right away.

You're going to Florida! I'm so envious :) Look forward to seeing you in March!