Newly Banded Nov 1, 2006 Mom and Son

Teri, we're all keeping our fingers crossed for you, and hoping this fill will be the one to really work! It sounds good so far. Bless your husband too, I know mine would not have been so patient if he hadn't seen more results, or if I'd had to go back to TJ so often, and I'm not even that far! I truly believe in this proceedure and that it will work for those of us that work with it properly, but we are all different and it's not a one-size-fits-all type of deal! Hang in there and have faith, we're routing for you!

Littleroo, you are so cute! That's so great that your insurace company will pay for your band. Even if you can't go to Dr. Ortiz, boo :(, I'm sure you will be the most well researched patient your doctor has! We will all be here for you when the time comes.

Kim

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teri, we're all keeping our fingers crossed for you, and hoping this fill will be the one to really work! It sounds good so far. Bless your husband too, I know mine would not have been so patient if he hadn't seen more results, or if I'd had to go back to TJ so often, and I'm not even that far! I truly believe in this proceedure and that it will work for those of us that work with it properly, but we are all different and it's not a one-size-fits-all type of deal! Hang in there and have faith, we're routing for you!

Littleroo, you are so cute! That's so great that your insurace company will pay for your band. Even if you can't go to Dr. Ortiz, boo :(, I'm sure you will be the most well researched patient your doctor has! We will all be here for you when the time comes.

Kim

><' Thank you Thank you, Kim! Its all good! ----so far!

Teri

Well just a little update. I am very happy and satisfied.

After reading so many posts about the band being "fickle", hmmmmmmm................that it is! It's very strange how some days, I take bites the size of a pencil eraser because I absoutley have to...... or pay with pain!!! Then other days, I can eat a whole hotdog, with bun, pot salad, baked beans, no problem, with dime size bites and chewing that last's and last's, so it seems. I am so glad to have this band, even though the scales are slow. That is ok with me, because I know I am eating consideribly a lot less food then ever before, even with prior dieting attempts and portions that go along with the diets.

So, some days I eat more, BUT, without the band, I would be eating, say, 2 hotdogs, and piles of the rest of the meal if I didnt have this band. #-o Some days, I think of the band as work, kinda like a mom thats going into labor. You go thru it, but the joy at the end is all worth it. It takes effort sometimes to get down a meal, then other times, it's easy. You just never know how the band will perform on any given day. I love that it keeps me in line, because i could never be accountable to myself with food.

My social life with food always took over. The partys, fun, the whole dining experience, out with our friends was what I enjoyed so much. I don't know why, but, food, and good food, was the center of all the planning. And I am finding out, I can still enjoy all of that, and so much more, because I can feel good about BEING good with the food choices, the things I still love, little portions, and still have great company with friends.

RESTRICTION is a dream come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just letting it sink in and in and in and I'M BLESSED TO HAVE THE CHANCE AND CHOICE TO HAVE IT!

Teri

How you doing Teri??? Did the last fill help you out a bunch? I hope all is going well with you and your son.

I am finally banded and am lovin' it!! NO gas pains in my shoulder and my incisions are healing nicely. Of course, there is some mental hunger when I smell food. I hate when people pop popcorn at work but it's a habit that I am learning to break now that I have the band. I can't give in and take a bite as my band MUST heal and I refuse to mess that up. I am doing really well with it all and I am excited about the future!

Happy Valentine's Day!

How you doing Teri??? Did the last fill help you out a bunch? I hope all is going well with you and your son.

I am finally banded and am lovin' it!! NO gas pains in my shoulder and my incisions are healing nicely. Of course, there is some mental hunger when I smell food. I hate when people pop popcorn at work but it's a habit that I am learning to break now that I have the band. I can't give in and take a bite as my band MUST heal and I refuse to mess that up. I am doing really well with it all and I am excited about the future!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Thanks so much Pamela! Happy Valentines Day to you to! I hope it was "Loving". :P:D

By the way, I'm with ya on the popcorn :-h :P:P:P:P:P:P ..................it is my favorite snack of all time!!!! I make it the old fashion way on the stove, and buy it in the 50 pound bags from the amish country up North in MI. LOVE IT!

We havent lost any more weight, but I am definetly restricted. NOW, I NEED to make better choices with food. Honestly, making better choices never entered my mind when I made the descision to become banded, believe it or not. (I was always making better choices everyday, then our weekend social life would kick in.......and in my mind I would tell myself I would start dieting again on Monday) MY thinking with the band was, I could eat all the favorites I wanted because I would fill up fast and not worry about overeating. I also read and re-read tons of bandsters experience's and every rule very carefully to be sure I could do every rule. Lets face it, I knew I could, and it may sound stupid, but I didnt do much thinking about them, except for the no water with meals.

BUT............YOU MUST do the protien first, then veg, then carb. Not always of course, because depending on what your eating it's not feasible, but generally most of the time. Because it's the protien that fills you up first and faster then soft foods, ( I feel lots of restriction with solids and must take small bites and chew very well) also I dont really feel like wanting or eating much after that. I find that when I dont follow that rule, I can overeat on things that are eaiser to get down, like the soft foods because they do not fill you up like the protien does. So for me, that's a rule I need to be very aware of when making food choices. Experience and not getting results is a great teacher.

As for Kyle, he is such a teenage eater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know, pass on the fruits, pass on the veg, and basically loves pizza, fast food stuff, etc. I think he needs another fill. He has not lost anymore, other then the 20pds but has not gained and is starting to eat to much again..................like 4 good size pieces of pizza at one sitting. So, I will keep learning and posting. I like posting winning results when I can, and it stinks not to be able to post about consistent weight loss. Especially when you know your not doing everything you could be doing to get the desired results you want. #-o

Nothing like getting "mentally naked here" about my eating, :unsure: but I must be true to myself and honest about my own journey with this band. Since I'm a pretty carefree person, I tend not to think about it to much, and it seems it takes me sooooooooooooooo long to do what I am suppose to do. Ya just cant "skirt" around with the rules............the band needs to work and will do the job if we do our part....................the rules are in place for a very good reason. It's up to all of us to work with it. B) Somehow, I dont know why, but I kindof NUMBED that whole concept out of the picture. ;)

Teri #-o

Yep, I totally understand what you are saying. I don't get to eat solid foods for another 14 days and I am nervous about it. I don't want to start off eating all the bad stuff I love. Right now, I am drinking healthy stuff to get the nutrients that I need but once I start eating solid foods, the choices will be harder to make.

Hang in there and you will do fine. I guess we have to really work on forming new eating habits with this band. Right now, I am mentally prepared for the changes but everyday is different.

Whooooooooooo,

Yesterday, My hubby and I had an early lunch. I'm not sure why........ but I couldn't hardly get anything down, other then soup which came with the meal (chinese). I ordered egg foo yung. It has chicken, egg, and rice with some vegetables. I have had all three before, no problem. Being still hungry a few hours later I tried again. YIKES! Everything felt stuck for a couple of hours. Since I still didnt have anything in my tummy when we went to dinner I ordered a ceaser chicken salad. I was so careful I ate nibbles.

Wow, talk about fickle.

Never had that happen. I wonder if the band decided to kick in to full gear. Since my last fill, I was worried even though I have restriction I was still eating more then 1/2 cup or 3 to 4 ounces, (after researching the Inamed Co. on suggested amounts) I was eating well over those amounts at one meal.

This past week my daughter and I had lunch at the local mexican resturant and I downed chips and salsa (a small soup type bowlful) and way to much I believe, then ordered a kids meal enchalda and ate the whole darn thing with the rice and beans.

Now I dont know whats going on after yesterdays experience. This band has a mind of its own, thats for sure. :huh: :-?

Teri

I'm with you on the fickle band. I know, for me, even though Inamed recommends eating a few ounces of 1/2 cup, I want more, and if I make healthier choices, I can have more. So after a while of just doing my own thing, and just weighing in at meetings, I am back to following Weight Watchers whole heartedly. I always planned to, but got lazy. I know need the points so much as the encouragement to eat healthy. It is so easy to just eat garbage foods, when they are restricted. I love the excitement of a new healthy recipe though, and I am getting pletty of fruits and veggies this way, where I might go a day or two without before. Just because we are banded does not mean our bodies don't need the same nutrients as before. Anyway, I can live with Weight Watchers, because now I am not hungry!!! And my kids are learning better than I did...I hope.

Good luck,

Becki

Yep, we still have to eat healthy food and the band should help us feel full longer and not deprived. I plan to eat a protein bar for breakfast, a Healthy Choice or Weight Watcher meal for lunch and then a sensible dinner. I am hoping to hold true to this plan for 6 days per week and then 1 day to eat what I want (in smaller portions).

Becki, your new picture is so cute!!!

Teri, I hope you are doing okay. This band can be really fickle. Good luck to you!!

Yep, we still have to eat healthy food and the band should help us feel full longer and not deprived. I plan to eat a protein bar for breakfast, a Healthy Choice or Weight Watcher meal for lunch and then a sensible dinner. I am hoping to hold true to this plan for 6 days per week and then 1 day to eat what I want (in smaller portions).

Becki, your new picture is so cute!!!

Teri, I hope you are doing okay. This band can be really fickle. Good luck to you!!

Thanks so much Pamela. Boy is it ever. I made an appt. today to talk with Wendy Hall, she is local and does fills (thanks Cyndi). My restriction is sooooooooooo different day to day. I flip flop all over the place, and there is no such thing as consistency with me and the band, not that there should be from what I'm reading, but I feel I need some advice. :-?

Teri

Last week, I made an appt for Kyle and I with a local fill dr. to get some advice and another perspectiveon my situation because some days I could still eat 2 cups of food and more, and not feeling full after trying to eat only 1/2 cup. During the wait time for the appt. on Sat (today is Tues) the band started restricting like never before. Just out of nowhere, after 3 weeks, it decides to get tighter. Prior to the band getting tighter, I explained my situation and she felt that a "thicker saline solution" should be tried in hopes the food wouldnt push/ pass thru the band quite as fast.

I was apprehensive about getting any fills without fluro. Frankly I was scared to death about them not being able to find the port with that large long needle they use. Well, it turns out they dont use that type of needle. They use a regular needle, small and simple. I knew Kyle and I would not always be on the same page as far as us getting fills at the same time and trying to coordintate and schedule air flights for fills back to TJ was a process, so having a local fill dr. was essential for our situation. (she is only 15-20 minutes away)

Kyle was filled with another .2cc and I stayed at 3.4cc - BUT...........I have the thicker saline in the band. I asked Dr. Romero about it last time I was there for a fill, and he didnt seem to think it would make any difference one way or another. Well I must say from experience yesterday and today, that I cannot keep coffee down this morning. After the fill yesterday, I ate a normal size bandster dinner, just 1/2 cup. (Steak, corn, pot, tiny bites.) No problem, and was ok with the amount. So, there is something to that thicker saline solution.

Then, before going to bed, my tummy started to rumble and I had 4 cashews, which was probably a mistake before going to bed, but I just wasnt thinking. For an hour or so, the cashews didnt seem stuck, they just were "there" in the band hanging out. For the first time, I was very aware of food in the band. I tried to drink water to help flush things out, but it came back up. I have been gurgling on coffee this morning and my throat and esophagus are making strange noises.

I am going to call the local dr. this morning, I think I may be a little to tight. But then, some of you that post about morning liquids say you cannot keep anything down for about 6 hours or so in the morning. What do you think??????????????? :-?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Teri

wow, what a crazy day yesterday! After switching to that thicker saline, I could not keep any water, coffee, broth down the following day. It may have been a combination of becoming tight (all of a sudden) 2 days prior to the fill, but I had the appt. and Wendy, the fill dr. is only in my area once a month. Thank God she stayed around for 2 days.

I had to go back to her, to relief the pressure in the band. So they took out .4cc and I am back to 3cc. What a relief it was to have the pressure gone. On the way, I had about 20 episodes of pbing. Wow, I must be very careful from now on.

Teri,

I am glad you are doing ok, now. That is really strange that suddenly you got tight. I wonder what is going on.

I am one of those who is much tighter in the morning. But I know my sinus issues are a big part of it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to take sudafed 24/7, so I just deal with it.

I'm glad you found a local fill doctor also. It does make a difference. I am seriously considering another fill here with a local person without fluoroscopy. I just can't afford the timeor money to get back to TJ.

By the way, where in AZ are you. I was born in Phoenix and still have family there.

Good luck, and again, keep us posted.

Becki

I am still amazed that sinus issues cause such a huge problem with the band! Do you think it's cuz snot...er, drainage gets stuck overnight?

I take Allegra-D 24 hour every night before bed because I'm extremely allergic to my cat (anyone want a free kitty?) and just about everything else on this planet that could fly up one's nose. At $40 a month, it's cheaper than taking OTC stuff every 4-6 hours, at least!

Teri,

I am glad you are doing ok, now. That is really strange that suddenly you got tight. I wonder what is going on.

I am one of those who is much tighter in the morning. But I know my sinus issues are a big part of it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to take sudafed 24/7, so I just deal with it.

I'm glad you found a local fill doctor also. It does make a difference. I am seriously considering another fill here with a local person without fluoroscopy. I just can't afford the timeor money to get back to TJ.

By the way, where in AZ are you. I was born in Phoenix and still have family there.

Becki

Teri,

Becki

Hi Becky,

I am East of Phoenix, past Mesa, past Apache Junction and live in Gold Canyon by the Superstition Mts. If you ever are down here in AZ. look us up, it would be fun to meet. Yeah, the fill Dr. was great. Kyle and I are on different schedules now with fills, not so easy to time together. The planning, time, arranging appts. extra cost, etc. to get back to TJ every month was getting cumbersome. I never thought of going to someone different, but, we have needed a lot of fill adjustments to come close to the correct level. Not sure if we still have it right, but, its very close.

How are you doing with your fill? The fill levels seem to do a lot of flip floping. I remember you having a fill not to long ago, and you were thinking you may be to tight. Are you eating more, or are you not feeling restricted, or not staying full??

I'm going to give this fill some time and work with it for a change instead of against it, and see what happens. Let me know how your doing?

Thanks for you well wishes.

Teri

Well its been a week since our last fill. Way different for Kyle. Going from eating 4 slice's of pizza to not being able to eat pizza at all, I think the band is working like it was intended to. Finally????? It's that love-hate relationship with the band. He's happy about it, but he's not, if ya know what I mean. What a huge learning process this has been. It's been great to bounce things off one another too.

As for me, noticable restriction, and for some reason my fills are kicking into full action a week later, so it seems. Thats good enough for me. It's been 4 months now, and I feel just this past week, that I have experienced SOME consistency with the band. So, if it starts to work how it was intended now, nothing lost, but I feel like I've gained a world of knowledge. Still a little fickle, but overall, very close to the right amount.

There are so many different revelations with the band. Things I would have never known about myself and food.

I'm so thrilled, my sister is flying in today from MI. Then on Sat. our long time good friends from MI arrive. It will be a fun and busy week!

Talk to you later,

Teri

Just an update....................

After being worried about getting the flu, I am not worried anymore! Last time I went to my regular M.D. I wrote down an anti flu medicine that GregNE posted about. It is called "Promethazine 25mg", I think it's a generic. Any way, thank God I had that medicine. I took it 3 times a day. I feel ok today, and am down 3 more pounds, YEah. But I did have company over the weekend and had to take lay down breaks. All the flu symptoms, without the throwing up. As soon as I recognized it early in the morning, and couldn't get sick because I didnt have anything in me, I realized what it was. I think I slept most of the weekend away, with hot and cold chills, and sleepyness. I would defiantly recommend the medicine. Hope your all doing well.

Teri

Guest blueskies7890

That's awesome Teri!

I was wondering if the weight loss on your signature needed to be updated? I'm not sure how many lbs you have lost total. And how is Kyle's coming along?

That's awesome Teri!

I was wondering if the weight loss on your signature needed to be updated? I'm not sure how many lbs you have lost total. And how is Kyle's coming along?

Thanks Blueskies,

Well, since preopt, I am down 15 pounds. Kyle is down about 23. The trouble for us was finding the correct fill levels. You leave with a fill thinking, yeah, this is the magic amount. But find a few days later, you can eat the same as before surgery. They want you to wait for another fill, because sometimes, the fills can kick in a few weeks later, (which I can attest too) because, twice that has happenend. But it didnt happen until after the first 3 fills. So, we are getting there, slow, but sure. :lol:

Teri

Down another 3 pounds since I posted last. 18 now, pheffffffffff, I'm lovin it. I am still a little to tight, which I dont like, but, I have to wait until March 19, until Wendy Hall comes to the Valley. In the meantime, it's been a lot of soup, or soft things until evening when I can squeeze in a few tiny bites of things. Ive been walking the dogs too consistently and the weather for AZ this time of year is gorgeous!~ I now can get down much needed water, and for some reason, am becoming a huge water addict!! I love it ice cold and cant seem to get enough of it since being so sick last week. Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy the spring weather.

Teri

Just an update for my journey. The pounds are melting it seems. I am down another 4 pounds. 22 now. The adjustment on the fill is everything. But I am still to tight. Cant wait to deflate at least .2 more cc's. I love losing the weight, but not like this, I have to be honest. Its pretty much all liquids or I'll barf constantly. YUK. Teri

In the last 8 days, I have dropped 8 pounds, one per day. I think I'm making up for pounds when I wasnt losing in the beginning. It was so much fun this morning, I spent about an hour trying on all the clothes in my closet I havent been able to wear in a lonnnnnnnnnng time. I am having a blast!!! Those butterflies in my tummy are returning from excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAHOO Teri