Morning Tightness

I was banded in January, 2004 and had to have my port repositioned once and then removed in March, 2005 because of infection, seroma, and it being too close to the skin. It just wanted to pop out. Dr. Martinez left a longer than normal tubing from the band in with a cap on it, so that when the port was replaced, we could put it lower in my abdomen. I haven't needed a fill in a year and a half.... during the past few months, I have had severe acid reflux and unusual tightness. I had an upper GI Xray on Friday and absolutely nothing was passing through my band..... I was immediately referred to a barriatric surgeon...

He gave me 2 options. One was to remove the band.... not an option for me..... two was to replace the port, unfill the band and give it a rest for awhile. So, Wednesday, I am getting a new port put in... in Hawaii. Don't know what its going to cost, but fills here are only an office visit of $14.00. At least, I will now be in the "system" here and won't need to go back to the mainland or Mexico for fills.

So, why did my band, all of a sudden get sooo tight, you ask?? My brilliant husband came up with this conclusion especially since I never could eat anything in the mornings. Most of us are usually very "tight" in the morning. Ever wonder why???

When you are laying down at night and in a fetal or other position, the tube can twist and bend causing the saline to push up into the band, causing it to get tight. As you are upright during the day, the saline flows back down into the tube, the band becomes loser and you can eat a little more.

Since my tubing is longer than normal, my band got really tight and uncomfortable, because of the excess saline in the tube.

Make sense???

I was banded in January, 2004 and had to have my port repositioned once and then removed in March, 2005 because of infection, seroma, and it being too close to the skin. It just wanted to pop out. Dr. Martinez left a longer than normal tubing from the band in with a cap on it, so that when the port was replaced, we could put it lower in my abdomen. I haven't needed a fill in a year and a half.... during the past few months, I have had severe acid reflux and unusual tightness. I had an upper GI Xray on Friday and absolutely nothing was passing through my band..... I was immediately referred to a barriatric surgeon...

He gave me 2 options. One was to remove the band.... not an option for me..... two was to replace the port, unfill the band and give it a rest for awhile. So, Wednesday, I am getting a new port put in... in Hawaii. Don't know what its going to cost, but fills here are only an office visit of $14.00. At least, I will now be in the "system" here and won't need to go back to the mainland or Mexico for fills.

So, why did my band, all of a sudden get sooo tight, you ask?? My brilliant husband came up with this conclusion especially since I never could eat anything in the mornings. Most of us are usually very "tight" in the morning. Ever wonder why???

When you are laying down at night and in a fetal or other position, the tube can twist and bend causing the saline to push up into the band, causing it to get tight. As you are upright during the day, the saline flows back down into the tube, the band becomes loser and you can eat a little more.

Since my tubing is longer than normal, my band got really tight and uncomfortable, because of the excess saline in the tube.

Make sense???

SOUNDS INTERESTING ANYWAY :)

I RUN TO HAWAII FROM TIME TO TIME, WHERE ARE YOU GETTING FILLS FOR THAT PRICE IF YOU DON'T MIND TELLING? WE USE TO LIVE OVER THERE SO I'M PRETTY FAMILIAR WITH THE AREAS

THANKS MUCH,

PAM