banded nov 2nd by dr ortiz

Hi Everyone,

I finally made it to bandland. here is my story.... i arrived at san diego airport on nov 1st, francisco picked me and my mom up and drove us straight to the clinic. once at the clinic i began the series of tests, they took my blood, ekg, spoke with dr miranda in regards to post op diet and did the breath test -which to me was the hardest part. i have to say every single person at the clinic was so nice and supportive. i felt like a VIP the entire time. after all the tests we were driven to the hotel which felt like more VIP treatment. we spent the evening eating a last meal (early)- i had a small steak with veggies and cheese cake for dessert. the next morning i was picked up at the hotel and driven back to the clinic. i was the first one to get the surgery this day since all my pre-op was done. dr ortiz came in about 9am and sat on my couch in my room and talked and laughed with me and my mom for about 20 min - what a super nice man. he is goodlooking but more than that, once you actually talk to him, he has such a good personality and good spirit that he makes you feel so comfortable. i walked into the surgery room, dr estrada (the anesthesiolgist) let me pick out music that would be played during my surgery and thats the last thing i remember until they were waking me up and wheeling me back into my room. i spent the rest of the day walking around the clinic to ease the gas pains. that evening i watched tv on my own flat screen direct tv - very nice! the next day i was taken back to the hotel where i met up with my mom - we walked to the mall as the gas pain was pretty intense for me and i felt the more i walked the better. we shopped, walked back to the hotel, and then i slept pretty much till the next morning when we flew home.

i am now 6 days post-op and the gas pain comes and goes. i have lost 10 lbs and so far i am loving this band.

I would highly recommend Dr Ortiz to anyone considering this surgery. I felt like part of the family - it was a wonderful experience.

Hi Everyone,

I finally made it to bandland. here is my story.... i arrived at san diego airport on nov 1st, francisco picked me and my mom up and drove us straight to the clinic. once at the clinic i began the series of tests, they took my blood, ekg, spoke with dr miranda in regards to post op diet and did the breath test -which to me was the hardest part. i have to say every single person at the clinic was so nice and supportive. i felt like a VIP the entire time. after all the tests we were driven to the hotel which felt like more VIP treatment. we spent the evening eating a last meal (early)- i had a small steak with veggies and cheese cake for dessert. the next morning i was picked up at the hotel and driven back to the clinic. i was the first one to get the surgery this day since all my pre-op was done. dr ortiz came in about 9am and sat on my couch in my room and talked and laughed with me and my mom for about 20 min - what a super nice man. he is goodlooking but more than that, once you actually talk to him, he has such a good personality and good spirit that he makes you feel so comfortable. i walked into the surgery room, dr estrada (the anesthesiolgist) let me pick out music that would be played during my surgery and thats the last thing i remember until they were waking me up and wheeling me back into my room. i spent the rest of the day walking around the clinic to ease the gas pains. that evening i watched tv on my own flat screen direct tv - very nice! the next day i was taken back to the hotel where i met up with my mom - we walked to the mall as the gas pain was pretty intense for me and i felt the more i walked the better. we shopped, walked back to the hotel, and then i slept pretty much till the next morning when we flew home.

i am now 6 days post-op and the gas pain comes and goes. i have lost 10 lbs and so far i am loving this band.

I would highly recommend Dr Ortiz to anyone considering this surgery. I felt like part of the family - it was a wonderful experience.

Hi Everyone,

Hi Kym,

What a great experience hunh? You sound as happy as us. We are truly lovin this. Kyle is down already from 225 to 207!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's back in his last size, and what a difference! Its only been a week today since the surgery. I cant believe we missed the chance to chit chat! Were suppose to go back Dec 15, trying to coordinate rides. If your interested let me know. Good Luck on the Post Diet. It hasnt been bad at all. (so far) Teri

Teri that is great about how well Kyle is doing! that has got to be such a wonderful feeling for him since kids can be so mean. how is he dealing with lunchtime at school? i am not going back for a fill until january or febuary. i have a lot of trips for work planned and a vegas trip for me and my friends so that seems to be the soonest i can get back there. maybe if you guys go back around that time for another fill i can meet you then. keep up the good work - this is fun --- oh and i think all that gas has finally passed - i finally feel so good i forget i just had surgery. LOL

Kim

Hi Lori,

Yes i feel like family. i cant wait to go back for a fill, but i really want to wait until i stop losing completely. i dont mind losing slow as long as it is a loss. since i have the VG band i am a little worried about all these fill stories and how hard it is to find restriction, but right now everything about the band is positive. how is your weight loss coming along Lori? Any problems to speak of?

Thanks

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I did have a plateau for a few weeks, the scale didn't budge, but I still lost inches. I thought I might need another fill, but I started re-evaluating my food choices, made some needed adjustments and the scaled started moving again - YIPEE.. down 55 pounds since June :)

• 2 months later...

i just wanted to update everyone. i am now almost 15 weeks post-op and i still love my band. progress has been slow, which is totally my fault as i have a hard time giving up liquid calories on the weekends with my friends. i have lost 24 lbs, which sounds terrible, but in reality it is 1.6 lbs per week. if i lose that much steadily for 52 wks i will the happiest bandster around! i love the fact that i am no longer a choco-holic, even with girl scout cookies going down easily, i am eating so much less than this time last year. i used to eat a whole box in one setting because i am a major binger - now i feel so full and sick after about 8 cookies - which is still alot but much better.

there are still things i need to work on to stay successful at this long term: drink less alcohol, eat no sweets and pay attention to the band - when it says stop - stop so i dont PB and exercise more.

I still feel like i have found the sweet spot for now with 5cc in my VG band. i never drink while eating and most days my caloric intake is about 1500 calories (exception is the weekends when i am with my friends and fruity drinks or even beer go down way too easily - yes i am a bad bandster that seems to test the limits)

i can honestly say i have not had one hunger pain since the day of my surgery. right now, i am trying to break bad habits that i have had for years. i think i will get there... every day that i feel alittle better and my clothes get just a little looser - i feel motivated. like a true addict, i am learning to take one day at time and stop beating myself up for something i ate or drank yesterday that was a bad choice.

thanks for reading and being non-judgemental over my choice to share my short comings...

kim

Kym,

Hey, you are loosing so that is a success as far as I am concerned. However, you could loose more if you wanted too. Give up some of the liquid calories on the weekends. I know it's hard because this is what we've done for so long but you have changed some of your bad habits. It might be a slow process but you will get there. Stay focused during the week since you like to indulge on the weekends. Try drinking less calorie mixed drinks like Crystal Light Fruit Punch with Sky Vodka. Margaritas have way too many calories for any diet. I am going to mix a 0 calorie beverage with alcohol when I do decide to have a drink. :lol:

You're lookin' good, Good luck to you!

Kym, congrats on your weight loss. This journey is supposed to reach it's peak at 2 years post op, so take your time. You have lots of it. The food issues sure do come to the surface once the hunger is out of the way. But hey, you have the rest of your life to work on those. They didn't develop overnight, and unfortunately they won't leave overnight. Keep working on it though. It is a fun journey.

Becki

You all are a part of our family! The Band Family. Maybe we need a song! hahahaha :) We are family... I have all my bandsters with me LOL

LOL Lori :lol: You are so funny. I seem to think of songs all the time, driving, cooking, sun shining, raining, etc. To funny! Teri

i just wanted to update everyone. i am now almost 15 weeks post-op and i still love my band. progress has been slow, which is totally my fault as i have a hard time giving up liquid calories on the weekends with my friends. i have lost 24 lbs, which sounds terrible, but in reality it is 1.6 lbs per week. if i lose that much steadily for 52 wks i will the happiest bandster around! i love the fact that i am no longer a choco-holic, even with girl scout cookies going down easily, i am eating so much less than this time last year. i used to eat a whole box in one setting because i am a major binger - now i feel so full and sick after about 8 cookies - which is still alot but much better.

there are still things i need to work on to stay successful at this long term: drink less alcohol, eat no sweets and pay attention to the band - when it says stop - stop so i dont PB and exercise more.

I still feel like i have found the sweet spot for now with 5cc in my VG band. i never drink while eating and most days my caloric intake is about 1500 calories (exception is the weekends when i am with my friends and fruity drinks or even beer go down way too easily - yes i am a bad bandster that seems to test the limits)

i can honestly say i have not had one hunger pain since the day of my surgery. right now, i am trying to break bad habits that i have had for years. i think i will get there... every day that i feel alittle better and my clothes get just a little looser - i feel motivated. like a true addict, i am learning to take one day at time and stop beating myself up for something i ate or drank yesterday that was a bad choice.

thanks for reading and being non-judgemental over my choice to share my short comings...

kim

Kim,

You and I are about the same as far as re-learning the whole food thing, and still up to the bad habits that got us into the excess weight in the first place. You are doing great!! We all have those short comings, that's why were here on these boards for support, and why we all decided to get banded. Figuring all this out really makes you think, doesnt it? I'm eating a lot less than I would without the band, but my choices are NOT GOOD healthy ones. I struggle with that daily still. I havent "geared up" about dieting since before the band...........looks like I will have to but I am so weak in that area. Continued sucess my friend,, Teri

Kim, Hey 24 lbs. is 24 lbs. you never have to see again, at least not on your bod!! Do that again in the next 15 weeks and you'll really be rockin' it! I don't think any of us has been perfect, but most are still having results. We didn't get here overnight, and unfortunately we can't get if off any quicker, but we KNOW we can do this now. I haven't even tried drinking yet because I'm such a frou-frou drinker. Margaritas, Mai-Tais, Kaluha and cream, you get the idea. I happen to read an article, right after I got my band, that listed the calories in many of the drinks I like and I was floored, like 600 to 800 each! Well, I decided I'd much rather have food than that for now and my husband loves it because I'm such a "cheap" date!!

Anyway, I think you're doing great, you know where you could do better (don't we all!) and it's your decision if you need it to go faster or not. You always hear that 1 to 2 lbs. per week is the safest anyway. I'm not breaking too many rules as far as the foods I'm eating, but I still tend to eat most of my calories late in the day or evening, and I have to break those habits and start exercising more. I have to respect Becki for wanting to "be a runner", I can say that's not something I've ever aspired to! Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be one of those people that enjoys that, but everytime I try, which isn't often, all I can think of is how much more all that bouncing is going to make my boobs sag! Sorry for that visual!!

I put all the snack foods like cookies and candies in the freezer, that way I can take out a few and put them in my husband and sons lunches, and they're fine by the time they go to eat them, and I'm much less tempted. Even if I do, you tend to eat just a few bites because they are harder to eat frozen! Anything that helps!!

Hang in there, from the "Other" Kim

thanks you guys for all the encouragement... such funny stories and visuals crack me up! the scale is still moving in the right direction and i can live with the slow progress so far. i swear i am so rebellous - when i am told i cant have something because the band wont allow it i just have to try to see for myself. so far there is nothing i cant eat or drink that has been taboo for others. i do know that it can change on any given day thanks to the fickleness of the band. i cant wait for the time change to be able to be out in the sun more and on the treadmill less.

Teri, i have noticed with my last fill 1-19-07 that some days i cant eat more than a 1/2 cup of food all day and then a couple days later i can eat all day (or at least it fills like it) - it seems to go back and forth with no rhyme or reason, i dont want to become too tight so i am trying to go by that rule of no wt loss in 4 weeks its time to get a fill. i am very curious to how things go for you and kyle... i am thinking kyle definitely needs a fill if he can eat 4 pc of pizza!!

thanks again everyone!

kim

thanks you guys for all the encouragement... such funny stories and visuals crack me up! the scale is still moving in the right direction and i can live with the slow progress so far. i swear i am so rebellous - when i am told i cant have something because the band wont allow it i just have to try to see for myself. so far there is nothing i cant eat or drink that has been taboo for others. i do know that it can change on any given day thanks to the fickleness of the band. i cant wait for the time change to be able to be out in the sun more and on the treadmill less.

Teri, i have noticed with my last fill 1-19-07 that some days i cant eat more than a 1/2 cup of food all day and then a couple days later i can eat all day (or at least it fills like it) - it seems to go back and forth with no rhyme or reason, i dont want to become too tight so i am trying to go by that rule of no wt loss in 4 weeks its time to get a fill. i am very curious to how things go for you and kyle... i am thinking kyle definitely needs a fill if he can eat 4 pc of pizza!!

thanks again everyone!

kim

HI KIM!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Boy did i have an ordeal yesterday. You DONT want to be to tight!! It is not fun and its scary!. I had to have some taken out. Kyle went with me, and all together he had an additional .4cc added, so now he is up to 2.8cc. So, now the wait begins again. I'm with ya on the rebellion! You know........ the band is so cool in the sense that, it has a way of pointing out things to you that you might not else have considered. lol Teri

• 2 weeks later...
hi everyone

can someone tell me what physical restrictions do you have to deal with after the surgery and for how long???

I am to be banded on March 14th

Beata

My paperwork says no heavy lifting (25+ pounds) for 3 days. I was banded on the 4th and while I don't think I'm up to running a mile (let's be honest, I haven't been up to running a mile for decades), I was able to carry my luggage around when I got home. Do you anything specific you need to be doing?

My paperwork says no heavy lifting (25+ pounds) for 3 days. I was banded on the 4th and while I don't think I'm up to running a mile (let's be honest, I haven't been up to running a mile for decades), I was able to carry my luggage around when I got home. Do you anything specific you need to be doing?

no nothing specific, just lifting my daughter 30 lbs and cleaning my house

did you loose all your preop weight like you were told????

did you bring a heating pad for the gas pains???

what else do I need to bring??

did you loose all your preop weight like you were told????

did you bring a heating pad for the gas pains???

what else do I need to bring??

I lost 6 pounds according to a "real" scale. I weighed 206 the last time I went to the doctor but 200 on my scales. I was 200 on OCC's scales which I'm sure are more accurate than my $10 15 year old Walmart specials ;) I DID stick to the liquid diet except the Sat. night before (went to a family dinner and picked the lowest cal/highest protein dish and didn't finish) and then had a steak the night before Monday surgery ;)

I didn't bring a heating pad, but to be honest, I haven't had gas "pains" - just gas, lol.

Bring something to read. Between the hotel and the clinic you have a lot of "down" time. My laptop is usually glued to my hip so I brought a bunch of magazines and books and did some catch up reading.

AND NO, NO HOUSEWORK FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS! (this is not a requirement, but it sounds good to me :) ) And I wouldn't carry your daughter around at first.

I lost 6 pounds according to a "real" scale. I weighed 206 the last time I went to the doctor but 200 on my scales. I was 200 on OCC's scales which I'm sure are more accurate than my $10 15 year old Walmart specials ;) I DID stick to the liquid diet except the Sat. night before (went to a family dinner and picked the lowest cal/highest protein dish and didn't finish) and then had a steak the night before Monday surgery ;)

I didn't bring a heating pad, but to be honest, I haven't had gas "pains" - just gas, lol.

Bring something to read. Between the hotel and the clinic you have a lot of "down" time. My laptop is usually glued to my hip so I brought a bunch of magazines and books and did some catch up reading.

AND NO, NO HOUSEWORK FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS! (this is not a requirement, but it sounds good to me :) ) And I wouldn't carry your daughter around at first.

were you suppose to loose 6 or more??

were you suppose to loose 6 or more??

More :( She said 5% of my body weight which would have been 10+ pounds.

I ordered a new scale today - one that also tracks BMI and has a memory function. I think it will help a lot. Sometimes my scale will vary by 2-3 pounds within minutes.

I also found out my body fat percentage on Dr. Miranda's fancy scale. I am apparently almost 1/2 fat!!