Back pain!

Hi All! :D

I just got banded one week ago today. Two days ago I began to have sever back pain up in my shoulder blades. I called my Doctor, and he said this id due to the Hiatal Hernia repair he did. I guess I have been eating, and drinking to quickly. I asked him if there was anything i could take, and he said'Nope'. Ugh! I am getting very frustrated with this. Has anyone else had this same problem? And if so How long til my body adjusts, and how did you deal with pain?

Thank you!

Oh boy did I ever have the sharp, cutting, shoulder pain, as well as abdominal and back gas pains. I had it on and off until about week two post-op. I bought several boxes of Gas-X strips and popsicles. Soups were even hard to go down as I was sucking in too much air with the spoon.

I'm assuming you're still on all liquid diet. I used a sport top drinking bottle and squirted fluids down rather than trying to sip them up - less air that way. I also lived on popsicles - literally. I went thru several a day. I used sugar free most the time, but every once in a while would throw in a natural flavor one to get some sugars.

And walk - even if you don't feel the gas pain after drinking or putting something down..it will build up unless you walk it out. At least for me it did. So every "meal" time, I walked the dog around our neighborhood. Think of walking as a preventative measure. This is all after I had to sleep sitting up because my gas pains were so bad. Gas pains are by far worse than the surgery, or even recovering from my son's c-section!

They will subside. That's the good news. Good luck and be patient!

Hi All! :D

I just got banded one week ago today. Two days ago I began to have sever back pain up in my shoulder blades. I called my Doctor, and he said this id due to the Hiatal Hernia repair he did. I guess I have been eating, and drinking to quickly. I asked him if there was anything i could take, and he said'Nope'. Ugh! I am getting very frustrated with this. Has anyone else had this same problem? And if so How long til my body adjusts, and how did you deal with pain?

Thank you!

Thank you CaliCat! I am going to go to the store, and buy some popsicles right now....

Hi,

The shoulder pain from a Hiatal Hernia repair would be due to aggravation of the Phrenic nerve which refers pain to the shoulder region. Some of the pain could also be trapped gas from the sugery itself.

You can try the gas x, but it will only help is a) the pain is related to gas, and B) the gas is inside your GI tract... It will not help with trapped gas or aggravation of the phrenic nerve or the diaphram. Time and activity will help. I also found some relief with Liquid tylenol.

I hope you feel better.