Hack Job (Not with my surgery)

There is some back story here.

On 3/12/07 at 294 the moon, stars and sun aligned. I lost weight and I was motivated. I logged every bite, lick and taste.

Fast forward to June 08. My best friend is engaged to be married, I'm her Maid of Honor and my mother and I go dress shopping. I weigh 212.

So, they bring out an 18 and it fits me okay, but since my mom and I knew I was losing weight we purchased the dress in a 16 (which did fit). After all the wedding was in September.

The moment, moment, moment I pay for and pick up the dress, my friend calls me and says the reception hall was accidentially double booked. Yikes. The wedding was moved to March.

And did I mention my mom, who I consider the best in the world died.

Talk about rock bottom. So this dress haunted me. In dealing with my mother's death I started to put on weight, I stopped logging food, I started watching the food network (I didn't know how to cook) and I fell in love with the Barefoot Contessa, who looks a bit like my mom did when I was a child and the way I did when I was at my heaviest. I'll post a photo, I was a brunette then (and my mom was too).

A small off topic comment, when my mom passed away, she was a 5'9 blonde who weighed 135 lbs. She lost weight 20 years ago when my father died and kept her weight off.

Okay, so the Barefoot Contessa...beautiful, happy, charming and she got more and more beautiful. And I thought how wonderful it would be to cook and eat whatever you wanted (not that she does that) and just be who you're meant to be.

So I mentally, physically and emotionally wanted to weigh 300 lbs again. Yep, I wanted it. And I wanted it quickly. Crazy I know.

Despite the obvious, what was the problem with this? I had a bridesmaid dress in my closet that was a size 16 so I kept on being roped back in to who I used to be.

But as the months rolled by, I got sloppier and sloppier with my program. The dress was like a curse. It haunted me. I felt trapped by it.

So flash forward to January and a dress fitting. Yikes. 4 inches taken out on both sides. Oh yea, that was a mess. Had to find fabric...etc. And the simple solution of buying another dress wasn't an option, it wouldn't be in before the wedding.

Can you guess what brought me to my knees and commit to lap band? The dress.

So I commit to surgery and on 2/13 I see my doctor and he says that although two weeks of liquids prior to my surgery would be 2/16 I can start at any time. I mean I was 257 by this point and I didn't want to feel as if I was working in reverse so I started early.

Ah yea...start early and then go in for the final dress fitting...which of course is now 2 inches too big on either side.

lol

I know I know, I am happy but I think it's funny. This poor dress looks so odd. At least there is only one other bridesmaid and she was smart and didn't order her dress prior to the date change so by the time she purchased hers the material had been discontinued and replaced with something a similar color but different in texture...so we aren't going to look alike anyway.

My final final final fitting for the dress is Friday and the wedding is in 10 days. I've already warned the bride we may have to use safety pins to keep it on. She is very understanding but that is what best friends do.

:)

OH wow....I really enjoyed your post. I, of course, deeply sympathize with the loss of your mother and the haunting dress. In that order ; )

Isn't it funny how we are all here with different stories to share but all with a similar theme...

BIG HUGS

There is some back story here.

On 3/12/07 at 294 the moon, stars and sun aligned. I lost weight and I was motivated. I logged every bite, lick and taste.

Fast forward to June 08. My best friend is engaged to be married, I'm her Maid of Honor and my mother and I go dress shopping. I weigh 212.

So, they bring out an 18 and it fits me okay, but since my mom and I knew I was losing weight we purchased the dress in a 16 (which did fit). After all the wedding was in September.

The moment, moment, moment I pay for and pick up the dress, my friend calls me and says the reception hall was accidentially double booked. Yikes. The wedding was moved to March.

And did I mention my mom, who I consider the best in the world died.

Talk about rock bottom. So this dress haunted me. In dealing with my mother's death I started to put on weight, I stopped logging food, I started watching the food network (I didn't know how to cook) and I fell in love with the Barefoot Contessa, who looks a bit like my mom did when I was a child and the way I did when I was at my heaviest. I'll post a photo, I was a brunette then (and my mom was too).

A small off topic comment, when my mom passed away, she was a 5'9 blonde who weighed 135 lbs. She lost weight 20 years ago when my father died and kept her weight off.

Okay, so the Barefoot Contessa...beautiful, happy, charming and she got more and more beautiful. And I thought how wonderful it would be to cook and eat whatever you wanted (not that she does that) and just be who you're meant to be.

So I mentally, physically and emotionally wanted to weigh 300 lbs again. Yep, I wanted it. And I wanted it quickly. Crazy I know.

Despite the obvious, what was the problem with this? I had a bridesmaid dress in my closet that was a size 16 so I kept on being roped back in to who I used to be.

But as the months rolled by, I got sloppier and sloppier with my program. The dress was like a curse. It haunted me. I felt trapped by it.

So flash forward to January and a dress fitting. Yikes. 4 inches taken out on both sides. Oh yea, that was a mess. Had to find fabric...etc. And the simple solution of buying another dress wasn't an option, it wouldn't be in before the wedding.

Can you guess what brought me to my knees and commit to lap band? The dress.

So I commit to surgery and on 2/13 I see my doctor and he says that although two weeks of liquids prior to my surgery would be 2/16 I can start at any time. I mean I was 257 by this point and I didn't want to feel as if I was working in reverse so I started early.

Ah yea...start early and then go in for the final dress fitting...which of course is now 2 inches too big on either side.

lol

I know I know, I am happy but I think it's funny. This poor dress looks so odd. At least there is only one other bridesmaid and she was smart and didn't order her dress prior to the date change so by the time she purchased hers the material had been discontinued and replaced with something a similar color but different in texture...so we aren't going to look alike anyway.

My final final final fitting for the dress is Friday and the wedding is in 10 days. I've already warned the bride we may have to use safety pins to keep it on. She is very understanding but that is what best friends do.

Robbyn--

Why do we do this to ourselves. I do the same thing. I have clothes from size 4 to 14. I think about these one pair of little short shorts that I have had tacted to my wall for um a few years knowing that someday I will fit into them.

I am sooo sorry for your loss....

I am not sorry that your dress is to big....There are so many deep seated issues that we all have with food and weight..I am glad we have each other for that.

Kim

I am so very sorry about your loss thank you for sharing that with us. On a positive note, what a GREAT problem to have your dress being too big huh! I am in a wedding in May and I had to order the dress in January and i'm really worried. It won't come in until April because we had trouble finding the right dress so the turnaround time to alter is going to be tight. It's amazing what a few safety pins will do huh! :)

(((((((((((((Shelby))))))))))))

I got a great tip today. Is your bridesmaid dress one peice or two? If it's two, when you get the dress you'll probably have little white strip that you'd use to hang the skirt on the hanger. If that is the case, the strips are so long you can actually hang then from your shoulders for extra protection.

Who was the genius who thought of that?

Sending you skinny vibes.