Has anyone ever died?

I was just wondering if anyone knew about the history of the obesity control center, and if anyone heard of anyone dying during the procedure, or under the obesity control centers care? I know this is a scary topic, but I dont know how to look up any of their history or complaints.

I was just wondering if anyone knew about the history of the obesity control center, and if anyone heard of anyone dying during the procedure, or under the obesity control centers care? I know this is a scary topic, but I dont know how to look up any of their history or complaints.

You know, to my knowledge and my bad memory, I read that a Detroit councilwomen died of complications after lap band surgery back maybe 10 years ago. This was due to a combination of a very inexperienced surgeon and patient that had numerous post surgery complications and failed to go back to the hospital. What had happened was the surgeon nicked the colon or small intestine and patient died from sever bacteria infection a week after surgery. The surgery was done on a Michigin border town in Canada. Back then the lap band wasn't FDA approved in the USA, so patients had to cross the border to have the surgery. The surgeon had only done 3 or 4 lap band procedures and was very inexperienced. The patient, post surgery, had very sever cramps and a very, very high fever for days, but didn't seek medical attention till it was too late. So I'd say it pays to do your homework and choose an experienced surgeon or clinic. Also, it would be wise if your having some sort of complications post surgery,, seek medical attention.

I know of three or four cases where patients died during (a heart attack on the table) and after lap-band (infections they likely picked up in hospital) but none were Dr. Ortiz' patients. There is always a risk with any surgery, but going to an experienced surgeon like him lessens your risk considerably.

Sabrina:)

I have not heard of anything like this happening with the band but I will tell you that a dear friend/co-worker of mine died a year after having Gastric Bypass due to complications. I do not know where she had the surgery but I know it was somewhere in Southern California. She passed in her sleep one night without much warning. I have to say though that she was not totally adopting the new lifestyle as she should have. I am not saying that this had anything to do with her passing. She did loose over 100 pounds in that year and it could have been just a shock to her heart. I think your chances of dying on the table during band surgery are very small compared to passing away from complications later on. I just realized I sound very morbid but in the end depending on your medical history & how you make lifestyle changes beginning today I think that makes a huge difference in terms of turning the odds into your favor in the Operating Room. You are already getting the best doctors in the world at the OCC, the rest is up to you ;)

• Like 1

I asked Dr Ortiz if they had ever lost a patient a he said no. I also never read on any of the foroms about anyone dying.

In saying that though no matter what type of surgery you have if a general anaesthic is involved you take a risk. That is why they have you sign a huge concerned.

As a nurse I have seen people of every age , shape, and medical condition have surgery and the majority of them come out fine even the 99 year olds.

Debbie

I have never heard of anyone dying at OCC either. (You may swoon or feel light headed a little when you see how cute the doctors are, however smile.gif )

Girl you crack me up! No doubt about that! My mom and I were joking about the screening process the employees' must have to go through to get hired there. Are you hot enough to make the cut!? rolleyes.gif

Girl you crack me up! No doubt about that! My mom and I were joking about the screening process the employees' must have to go through to get hired there. Are you hot enough to make the cut!? rolleyes.gif

You are the one who cracks me up!! LOL, I was wondering the same thing too but you put it perfectly! I wonder if it is like a reality show like Top Model. Multi-teared screening, process of elimination to be come Mexico's next Top Doctor.