I'm STARVING

Kellyinpdx

Hi Folks,

I had my surgery a week ago today and I have to say the biggest issue is that I'm STARVING! I called Dr. Miranda and she had me start with the drinkable yogurt and protein shakes. But within an hour of my "meal" I'm so fricken hungry I can't think. I thought that this surgery was going to remove the overwhelming hunger, but it has increased it. Did / does anyone else have this problem? How did you deal with it?

Kelly

I would get really hungry, but it's because I would think about it so much. Stay busy, go for walks, organize something you've been meaning get to... I don't know, do what you enjoy and focus on that instead of the hunger. It's all mostly head hunger anyway. I hope it gets better.

I would get really hungry, but it's because I would think about it so much. Stay busy, go for walks, organize something you've been meaning get to... I don't know, do what you enjoy and focus on that instead of the hunger. It's all mostly head hunger anyway. I hope it gets better.

Thanks Erica. It doesn't feel like head hunger. It is in my stomach. Plus I am really really REALLY irritable and I have a hard time thinking at all. I went to Jamba Juice and got a high protein smoothie in plain frozen yogurt with 2 oz of soy milk. I get filled up pretty quickly, but like I said, within an hour I have hunger pains again. This is really very miserable. I wish there was an answer. :(

I had the plication. But I think I'm figuring out what I am doing wrong. First, I went on vacation right after, so my "diet" was difficult to stabilize. Second, now that I am home, I don't have supplies in the house. My habit before this was to not have food in the house, but to go out to eat when I was hungry. What would happen is that I would be so busy, it would be too long before I ate and then I would over eat. I'm doing the same thing now, and it isn't working. I went this afternoon grocery shopping and on the way home I drank an Odwalla protein drink. Because I'm hungry I drank almost the whole thing! Now I feel sick and nauseous and I have heart burn. This surgery is going to teach me to eat more often and to not allow myself to get hungry and then gorge!

Thanks Erica. It doesn't feel like head hunger. It is in my stomach. Plus I am really really REALLY irritable and I have a hard time thinking at all. I went to Jamba Juice and got a high protein smoothie in plain frozen yogurt with 2 oz of soy milk. I get filled up pretty quickly, but like I said, within an hour I have hunger pains again. This is really very miserable. I wish there was an answer. :(

I would stay away from Jamba Juice, to start.

They're 'high protein' drink has over 480 calories in it, unfortunately not even HALF of that is protein!

They use high fructose corn syrup in all of there drinks, which is basically shit in a cup.

Stick with real food sources.

Protein & fats will be your best friend while you get over this hump ...

I would reco making your own smoothies with a high quality caseine (if you can digest lactose' note: Jamba Juice includes lactose in all of there drinks) or whey protein, mixed with unsweetened almond milk, and fresh/frozen berries. Add a tbsp of flax oil if you're still feeling starved. This will really help.

• 1 year later...

I had the plication. But I think I'm figuring out what I am doing wrong. First, I went on vacation right after, so my "diet" was difficult to stabilize. Second, now that I am home, I don't have supplies in the house. My habit before this was to not have food in the house, but to go out to eat when I was hungry. What would happen is that I would be so busy, it would be too long before I ate and then I would over eat. I'm doing the same thing now, and it isn't working. I went this afternoon grocery shopping and on the way home I drank an Odwalla protein drink. Because I'm hungry I drank almost the whole thing! Now I feel sick and nauseous and I have heart burn. This surgery is going to teach me to eat more often and to not allow myself to get hungry and then gorge!

Hi Kelly,

I had the plication too and my "complaint" in the first few weeks was that I was also starving! I talked to one of the doctor and he said I would feel better once I was eating solid food. Six weeks in, I've discovered that you do need to eat more often. I feel like I graze constantly some days. I found some things are better than others for making you feel satisfied and sometimes you need to be creative. I had brunch plans yesterday and knew I was going to have to wait about an hour to be seated, so I had a few spoons of cottage cheese and a piece of papaya before leaving the house. Not a meal by any stretch, but I wasn't starving by the time I had a "meal". Then, of course, 3/4 of my meal went into the take away container! I guess this is my life now! LOL