PHOENIX, ARIZONA Fill Doctors

WARNING LONG.

A fill (or most likely fills) is when the doc (can be the same doc as does the surgeon or another medical practictioner) puts saline into the port piece of the band. The saline 'tightens' the band around the stomach causing the patient to feel 'restriction'.

Proper restriction is typically thought of being able to eat approx 1/3-1/2 of what you ate before banding and to feel a sense of fullness for 3-4 hours. The goal is to eat less, feel satisfied longer so you can eat 3 meals a day. The band creates a pouch on the upper stomach so not much food can fit into the pouch (restriction) and it takes longer to move thru the pouch to the stomach (feel fuller longer).

Once banded a patient must heal before getting a fill - most fills begin about 6 weeks after surgery. Not everyone needs a fill - some bandsters NEVER get a fill and lose weight but that is rare. Most people need 3-5 fills to get the right level because everyone is different, there are different sizes of bands, and different fill doctors 'fill' differently. Some are more agressive and some are conservative. Some docs fill a little every month until they patient feels the correct restriction.

Properly restricted also means you should be able to eat 3 solid meals a day. While many report being tight in the mornings if you can't eat solids MOSTLY then you may still not lose weight. Liquids and mushies go through the band easily and will not keep you full -hence you will tend to eat more. Many bandsters prefer being very tight because they don't have to make food choices and they let the band do most of the work for them. While they may lose weight eventually they will need to know how to work the band and do the work. Also, I know personally and have read of many bandsters that remain too tight, pb often and end up slipping their bands.

Being too tight is not good and will eventually hurt you. The band is meant to be a tool - I think of it like a 75/25% split - you have to do 75% of the work and the band does 25%. It won't let you overeat (you will throw up when the band gets too full or you will stretch out your pouch if you constantly overeat). The band won't let you take big bites and not chew or it will get stuck in the small opening to the pouch. The band will let you eat soft food and junk food - greasy things go down good - things like ice cream, chips, candy all seem to go well. The band will keep you somewhat full but doesn't do a thing for head hunger, mindless snacking or grazing. The band will teach you why you needed the band in the first place but only you can change your behaviour, food choices, lifestyle etc.

Some people like me struggle with finding the right fill level and have/had many fills. If you are getting banded you must commit the money and time and effort into fills because the fill level is the key.

Fills can be done 'blind' or under floroscopy (can't spell it but it means xray) Some people swear they wouldn't ever get a fill without flouro others do it all the time. Florou allows the doc to see the position of the band and the movemement of fluid going through. I'm all for it and thinks its best. I had one fill done without it and the fill was not accurate - what I thought was in there wasn't. Now that isn't really because of the floro - I don't think he pulled it out and measured it right. Regardless, for me I would say get it under flouro (again, sorry I can't spell it right).

I'm no expert but that's what i know about fills and I've had MANY and still trying to get it right. Mary

thank you for that info!

would love to know if they use floro as well??

thanks, lisa

Hi everyone,

I just went to the website and submitted an online question regarding if they use fluoroscopy for fills and for the cost. When I get a response, I will let you know.

Thanks!

Beth in AZ

Dr. Debarros and Dr. Orris

Tempe, AZ

http://wliaz.com/Physicians.php

These doctors charge an initial of $499 to get into their program which I believe does include the fill and a full evaluation. They use "ultrasound guidance" for fills. Each subsequent fill is $265. They also have a "full support" group available which consists of counselors and dieticians, etc for $1500 for 3 years.

To BSN:

Hi--- I was following your earlier posts about the persistent problems with swelling and PBing. You mentioned that Dr. Ortiz in TJ was going to do a special barium swallow to determine if the problem was a "partial slipped band," which I have never heard of before.

I am having similar problems to you, but not as severe. I am just curious what your conclusion/resolution was, if any. Dr. Ortiz was my surgeon (banded Dec 14, 06), and he wants me to come back for another barium fluoroscopy to see what the problem is. I was so glad to hear how caring and concerned he was with your problem. However my problem is more intermittent, and some meals I can do just fine......and others, well you know the story.

Karina

• 2 years later...