Struggling for months

Hi everyone,

I havent posted in awhile but i have gone down down hill since sept 2004. I started back on my normal eating habits that i did before i was banded. I cannot give up the junk food and everything else i want to eat. I stopped exercising and I am at a good fill level. I have gained 25lbs back I didnt think it was possible. I am so depressed I do not know what to do now. I feel if i dont stop i will gain all of my weight back. It has been over a year since my surgery and i have lost all motivation to exercise and eat right. I dont know how i did it for all those months. I know im at a good fill level because i still have trouble with food going down comfortably so the band is still there and working because i dont eat as much as i probably would if it werent there. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP. Any advice or motivatin would help I have given up and just want to have this band removed.

Jenn P

08/22/2004

270/215/150

I was at 190 in August 2004 :(:o

Jen, you obviously know what the problem is. Junk food and no exercising right? You also know you can do this right because you all ready have. One thing for me that works great is support..I am on another online support group that is so great, everyone there is so suportive, kind and caring we all are like one big family go check it out it will help you www.lapbandtalk.com tell them I sent you they will welcome you with open arms This board is not like any of the others I promise you and it really helps. we all are struggling..somedays I have good days and somedays I have bad days.. ...Junk food for us obese people is like alcohol to an alcoholic. Once you fall of the wagon you got to get back on..You can do this tomorrow is a new day..NO JUNK FOOD>>NO JUNK FOOD!!! PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN

Carbs in the morning will make you crave carbs and junk all day long it is a proven fact..so no carbs tomorrow ..cut those cravings. Protein really works to cut the hunger and cravings. I stay away from carbs until dinner then I know I will not binge or crave crap food al lday long..Instead of reaching for junk..reach for your water bottle... Cal lsomeone on the phone when you feel the urge to eat junk..you can call me I will talk you out of it

You can do this Jen, you were the one who was there for me on my very first day giving me all kinds of support so now I'm returning the favor..

Exactly Michelle - Don't get me wrong, but I have been struggling with this for the past year. I have not had the surgery yet.... am still looking into it.... I don't want to fall off the bandwagon after I get it done, go through all the pain and find out that there is something stopping me from getting my stupid weight off. I do love food, I love to eat when I am happy, when I am sad, when I feel good, when it's there, but a lot of times, I don't know when I am full, there is no feeling of fullness that other people experience. I don't want to get depressed like Jenn and I know myself, definitely feel like a failure after I have talked my whole family into supporting me into getting this surgery done. I don't really know what kind of rigorous effort I will have to go through to get this nasty, undesireable, ugly weight off. I guess I should say, if I wanted two pieces of chicken, my husband would gladly get me two, etc. There was never, "honey, don't you think 1 piece is enough?" Same way when I was a child. I was the kid that would eat, my sister would sit and eat like a bird. They would threaten her with the kids in China are starving, but they never had to threaten me with that because I cleaned my plate. Food was and is and has been always great tasting..... I'm afraid the band might not work for me. What do any of you think that have had it? Should I live with my fat or try another diet or try this? I have asked God, but so far he hasn't answered me yet. My Pastor says I need to be quiet and listen for him to speak to me, but I multi task too much, and patience isn't one of my best qualities just yet. ha ha.

Zena

Zena

I have been an obese person most of mylife and have tired every diet known to man. I have been up and down on my weight all of my life. I got tired of battling with it. I got the band and am so glad I did. Never been happier. This is the first time in my life I am not in fear of putting my weight back on. Remember this band is a tool to help us is not a magic wand, you will have to do some of the work. If you have emotional eating problems and head issues..work on them now or you may have problems. I was not sure if I ate for emotional reasons. I went into counseling before surgery to prepare myself. My therapist has been astonished over how well I have done and told me he really beleives I did not eat for emotional reasons or I would have struggled during this and not done so well with my weight loss. I love my band and would do it over again in a heartbeat!

Thanks Michelle but what kind of counselor would you look for to make sure that it is not a head issue? I hate my weight and if it is a head issue, then all I would need would be to see a counselor to get it off instead of a drastic measure; but if it isn't a head measure, then I would need the help of the tool.

Zena

Zena, the reason I say it may be a head issue is that in your post is that you love food and eat when you are happy and when you are sad when you feel food and when it is there. Most people eat to live..for nourishment. When we eat for other reasons then hunger then it is a head issue and any therapist will tell you that! Eating should only be for nourishment. It took the band to make me realize that. I ate the wrong things and too much of it but did not eat for any emotional reason. What you say is true but if you do not deal with head issues and just think this tool will help you , you may get discouraged. Therapy is also a tool both the band and therapy work hand in hand. Just becasue you have a band ..will it stop you from eating when you are happy or sad? Will it stop you from eating cookies, candy, cake, burgers, fries? I know many of women who have the band and are struggling right now becasue of the compulsive eating habits they had and did not deal with prior to surgery. Tehy though the band was a cure all . The band will not do all of the work..you have to work the band also and that means good food choices, exercise..lots of water. not drinking with meals..protein first..I wish you all the best and hope you have much success :)

You know you are right Michelle, if there were a pill to take just to eat for breakfast, lunch and supper, I would love to take it and then not have to be around food all day, but in this world, we have to be around food, it is on the tv, in the air, at shops, everywhere. I'm going to check on support for the head, and continue checking this site along with others to get strength and knowledge regarding this procedure. I know I am a beautiful person on the inside just waiting to come out, but if I don't figure out something correctly, she may never ever come out.

Thanks

Zena

You have been a great help...

Hi Zena,

When i originally posted this messge it was meant for me hopefully to gain some support on my current issue and not for you to go on about another topic within my message. I am looking for support from people who have already had the band and know what all this is like and it is very hard struggling like this being banded and having to deal with issue that unfortunately that you have no idea what i am going through since you have not even b een banded before. My suggestion to you is that you should have started your own topic if you wanted support before being banded. You responded to a message that was left for me by a dear frend Michell that was kiind enough to offer me support and now you are having your own support through my message and it doesnt help me in the least bit.

I suggest you start a new topic

Jenn P