Slipped Band?

Timber

Hi All!

I had surgery on Jan. 17th, 2008. I've lost about 115 lbs and have had a total overhaul of how I view/consume food and am very happy with my success so far.

It took 4 tries for my band to be filled to the "correct" place where I actually felt any kind of restriction. I ended up with 8 ccs in a 10 cc band, and I got that final fill done in August of '08.

About 3 times a month, since that final fill, I would mistakenly injest something that will make me vomit. I was doing exactly what all the literature says to do, I wasn't trying to down huge servings of white bread or soda, but since my diet was so full of new things, I would mistakenly trip across healthy things that would stick above the band no matter how well I chewed them, like certain raw vegetables and whole-wheat pasta. Also, I have always had a really sensitive gag reflex, so this is only slightly more than the norm from before I had the lap-band.

Anyhow, every time I'd vomit, I would revert to a liquid diet for a few days, load up on the Ibuprofren, and then gradually get back onto a regular diet, no problems. No consistent pain or anything like that, the liquid diet was more a precaution than anything, and I would always be just fine resuming a normal diet within a day or two.

However, I vomited several times about 4 days ago and even with a liquid diet I've been uncomfortable (not a lot of pain, just enough so I notice it) right around the lap band. I've stuck to a liquid diet this whole time have in fact vomited up the liquids twice more in the last two days, however I'm able to keep down the majority of what I'm ingesting. I'm still relatively hydrated but definitely getting a run-down feeling from not getting enough protein/carbs/calories.

My main question is: Do you think I've slipped the band? If the inital 3-times-a-month vomiting was a sign that the band had slipped, why was I okay to eat a normal diet 90% of the time inbetween the vomiting? I thought that once the band slipped you were unable to injest anything? Do you think this is a simple matter of the band being over-filled?

I have an appointment with our friend the Flouroscope on Monday, so I'll know for sure at that point if the band is slipped. If it has slipped, does that automatically mean I have to have the band removed? How much is that going to cost me? I don't have a single spare cent to pay for any kind of surgery. If I can't afford the surgery, can I still function with all of the saline removed?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give the backstory. I'm pretty darn nervous about all of this right now and would appreciate any input I could get.

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi All!

I had surgery on Jan. 17th, 2008. I've lost about 115 lbs and have had a total overhaul of how I view/consume food and am very happy with my success so far.

It took 4 tries for my band to be filled to the "correct" place where I actually felt any kind of restriction. I ended up with 8 ccs in a 10 cc band, and I got that final fill done in August of '08.

About 3 times a month, since that final fill, I would mistakenly injest something that will make me vomit. I was doing exactly what all the literature says to do, I wasn't trying to down huge servings of white bread or soda, but since my diet was so full of new things, I would mistakenly trip across healthy things that would stick above the band no matter how well I chewed them, like certain raw vegetables and whole-wheat pasta. Also, I have always had a really sensitive gag reflex, so this is only slightly more than the norm from before I had the lap-band.

Anyhow, every time I'd vomit, I would revert to a liquid diet for a few days, load up on the Ibuprofren, and then gradually get back onto a regular diet, no problems. No consistent pain or anything like that, the liquid diet was more a precaution than anything, and I would always be just fine resuming a normal diet within a day or two.

However, I vomited several times about 4 days ago and even with a liquid diet I've been uncomfortable (not a lot of pain, just enough so I notice it) right around the lap band. I've stuck to a liquid diet this whole time have in fact vomited up the liquids twice more in the last two days, however I'm able to keep down the majority of what I'm ingesting. I'm still relatively hydrated but definitely getting a run-down feeling from not getting enough protein/carbs/calories.

My main question is: Do you think I've slipped the band? If the inital 3-times-a-month vomiting was a sign that the band had slipped, why was I okay to eat a normal diet 90% of the time inbetween the vomiting? I thought that once the band slipped you were unable to injest anything? Do you think this is a simple matter of the band being over-filled?

I have an appointment with our friend the Flouroscope on Monday, so I'll know for sure at that point if the band is slipped. If it has slipped, does that automatically mean I have to have the band removed? How much is that going to cost me? I don't have a single spare cent to pay for any kind of surgery. If I can't afford the surgery, can I still function with all of the saline removed?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give the backstory. I'm pretty darn nervous about all of this right now and would appreciate any input I could get.

Thanks so much!

hi, i am new to this forum, but i am experiencing the same problems you posted..and was wondering what your outcome was? I too want to know is band slipped, is it ok to leave if you dont wont to loose more weight or does it have to come out?