New lifestyle changes

I’m starting on a new path to changing my lifestyle one more time with my maintenance program..

I’m heading towards 50, in the middle of menopause and looking to improve my life in one more way – and I think maintenance is more than just trying to keep the weight off I think its an opportunity to improve my life with this awesome tool. (I'm totally going to get my moneys worth out of this band)

The more I read about the chemicals in our foods and since I have the band – I’m more in tune with how food affects my body I’m more into getting them out of my system.

Step one was getting the band and losing the weight.

Step 2 was getting my PS done.

Step 3 is working towards a new healthy me with my healthy maintenance program.

I’ve been taking baby steps with the band – one great thing is since you don’t have the huge hunger you have more time to make good decisions on what you should eat. Now I’m going one step further by starting a strict program that is focused on removing the chemicals and focusing on natural foods. I can eat anything that doesn’t have a label (or if it does have a label only "real foods" are listed, like, beans, no additives only words we understand – but most foods should be fresh) I can eat things that can be caught, fished, picked or harvested. (However for the first month – no grains or dairy and sugars). Also no alcohol or coffee…… (And for those who know me know I love my coffee and wine – but wine I can drink again in 30 days in small quantities). I’m also on an exercise program that is constant and I’m bringing in more yoga into my routine.

I’m looking to improve how I feel, look and live my life. I also believe much of the weight gain I have during maintenance, (the up and down I have right now) has to do with retaining water and a lot of that has to do with what we put into our body. And the chemicals are really supposed to cause havoc when you’re in the life change.

Its amazing the changes I’ve made since getting my band – I don’t think I’d ever even think of doing this – would most likely have cracked a joke at it. But if I can get the band, lose over 100 pounds, go through PS and change my body and how I look, I can focus on improving my health in one more way.

I think this is just one more way to improve myself and I’m so happy to have gotten the band which allowed me to step up and take on these other challenges and actually look forward to them!

I love my band and for all of those on your journey - it is hard sometimes - but it is so worth it and we are all so blessed to have this tool that allows us to improve our lives! I've never looked forward to living like I do now - getting up is fun and everyday is an adventure!

Hi Lisa, good for you! It sounds like you are really taking health to the highest level. I know what you mean about the quality of food. I have been been eating organic stuff, trying to avoid too much processed food. I am also a vegetarian now. I was practically before but now I am 100%. I am giving my kids more health snacks and encouraging them to be veggies too (my baby doesnt' care but my 7 year old son sure isn't liking it much...).

Anyway I know you can do your new regimen with the same amount of gusto as you lost your weight! Good luck!

Karen

(((((((((((((((Lisa)))))))))))))))) - Hugs to you.

I love love loved your post. You do not look the age you said you were in your post. I don't believe you. :)

What an accomplishment. There was a diet guru named Susan Powter. Her coined phrase was "Does it grow that way?" That sounds very similar to what you are doing now. Marilu Henner has some books out that have the same premise as well.

I'd love to know more about your food choices!

Hi Lisa,

I too would love to know what "program" you are doing, or are you just making it up as you go?

It sounds like you are following something as you mention getting certain foods back in 30days.

Please fill us in and let us know how you progress. I am very interested in doing this a healthfully as possible. Why not start now while I am in the loosing mode.

Rhonda

Lisa,

You are AMAZING and such an inspiration. I remember when I started researching for this band, I came upon this sight and saw your post and pics. You, like so many others, gave me hope and encouragement. I remember sending you a message before I ever booked my surgery and told you how amazing you where and if I was do do half of what you have done I would be blessed. Well I have lost 41 pounds so far and you are one of the reasons that I work SO hard with this tool. Yeah it gets very frustrating when you ARE eating the right food and working your butt off with weights, Cardio and maintaining your fills and still seem to struggle. HOWEVER, I always remember the day I logged on and seen your post and your pics. TRUELY AMAMZING.....You have done wonderful and again I would like to say if I do half of what you have done, I will be blessed. You will always be my "poster child"!

Congrats and best of luck with this new journey! ;)

Carrie

Thank you so much for your post! Its amazing how fast time flies and in 8 SHORT weeks I have lost nearly 40lbs, and I am 30percent to my goal. I buy food now by staying on the outside edge of the store, that way I don't go down the middle and buy all the processed and packaged foods, I too would love to know what program you are following. If you are following one at all! I love to cook and have many health nut friends so I don't think this will be as hard as I think it will be!

Thanks again for the post and the words of encouragement!

Jenelle

Thank you so much!

This is such an amazing group of people, everyone has been my inspiration and I’m happy if I can help – Carrie and Jenelle , you both have done so well and can you believe how far you’ve come already - your goal is just around the corner – you’ll hit it in no time! I still have times when I can't believe I'm done with one part of the journey and on to another one - I see my refection in the mirror and I still have a hard time recognizing that it’s really me.

Karen, I'm glad to hear you're a vegetarian, that’s a step I may be taking soon so I may have some questions coming up - and good job with starting the children on a healthy path at a young age - I wish I did that with mine!

For the questions about the program it’s called Onvo, you work with Dr. Mark Adams who is a Naturopathic Physician (Harvard grad) and he teaches the fundamentals of whole body health and performance. He’s in Bellevue WA and it’s a cool program, so if someone is in WA and interested they should check it out. We’re not supposed to add links here so just search for Onvo in Bellevue WA and you’ll pull up the website.

This is really a life changing program – its 4 weeks + of education on how to change your eating habits. And the books, meetings and education we get are meant to guide you to lifelong health changes. Unfortunately it’s not a diet that I can post, and I'm just starting out so my knowledge is pretty small at this time.

Simply put we are eating only organic natural foods, no coffee, black tea, wine, sugar (sweets like honey or anything sweet for 30 days) grains or dairy. its weird my body is acting like when I quit smoking – I’m having a hard time right now but I can tell I am cleansing the toxins out of my body. You can add in whole wheat organic grains and organic milk and honey after 30 days. The focus is to eat things that have not been changed/processed, so no preservatives. And you can't eat anything fat free or diet - its been chemically changed.

What they are finding is that with all the fat free and diet foods have so many chemicals it may be what’s making us obese. I’m drinking a lot of green or herbal tea (no juices only fresh fruit) and lots of water. (Especially now – since I’m detoxing, the headache is one for the books……). I love my sweets and even though I don’t eat a lot I still have my little treats and I’m paying for them now…… ouch! It’s like I have a big hangover! (Its amazing to me and he said this would happen, we laughed - not laughing now.....).

So far I'm making it - and looking forward to the benefits I'll see soon!

Best,

Lisa

Lisa, I am like Carrie. I first started reading posts on this forum before I had surgery. I specifically looked for your posts. The reason was -

1. You had achieved step one of your goal.

2. You spoke with experience, encouragement, constructive tips, and also with the grace of a peace maker.

I am glad that you share the past and new experiences that are working for you. Please keeping posting to help those of us that would like to succeed with our weight loss.

Like Carrie said.....you make a great poster child.

Anne

Lisa, I am like Carrie. I first started reading posts on this forum before I had surgery. I specifically looked for your posts. The reason was -

1. You had achieved step one of your goal.

2. You spoke with experience, encouragement, constructive tips, and also with the grace of a peace maker.

I am glad that you share the past and new experiences that are working for you. Please keeping posting to help those of us that would like to succeed with our weight loss.

Like Carrie said.....you make a great poster child.

Anne

very nicely said.... I think its important for all of us to think ahead .......

Lisa, you have done it amazingly.... like they all said ... we all look up to u...

Lisa, you have been such an inspiration to my in this long but exciting journey that I have chosen to take. I completely relate to you especially when you talk about waking up and looking in the morning and still not recognizing the person you see. I have that same dilemma. Sometimes I just can;t believe that its me looking back at myself. I have been so fat that I just got use to seeing the fat person look back not a skinner, healthier person and it's amazing...unbelievable but amazing. Thank you for all your inspiration.

Alexandra

Good for you! Congrats on your continued success. I'm glad to hear you have done so well and continue to look at this journey in a postive perspective! Thanks for sharing and best wishes!

Lisa ~ like the others have said, when I first came on this forum, you were one of the main "speakers' who has helped me get started. I am very happy to see you are succeeding in your journey and you are doing FANTASTIC! You are driven and you are enjoying your life! WTG Lisa! Thanks for posting this, as we all like to know what's our next plan after we've reached our goal weight and how to maintain even a better healthier lifestyle!

((HUGS!))...