just found out I'm pregnant

Hi,I got my lap band last fall and chose to do it at that time because I felt like I was done having kids and ready to take care of myself and my body. I was doing well, I have lost 60 pounds...and then suddenly I find out that I am pregnant...total surprise...

Now I feel like I am going to be moving backwards and I feel on hold.

But mostly I am worried about being pregnant with the band and complications that cause my band to have to come out. Or somehow the pregnancy damages my band.

Anyone out there had a pregnancy with the band or know someone who has?

Hey Jessica ~~ I dont think you hve anything to worry about, honestly. I am quite sure there are people who have been banded then got pregnant and had no complications. I think there is one girl... she had just posted karenlynn I think her name is. She posted the other day about being down to 158 and she has in her info that she had lost a bunch then got pregnant, and now she is losing again and almost at goal!! That is insprational isn't it! So don't worry, I am SURE you will be fine, your band will be fine and most importantly - - the baby will be fine :D

Congrats on the pregnancy, and from what i hear, lots of women have gotten pregnant with the band - i dont have kids yet and I hope - in a few years - i am one of those women! just think of how quickly you will lose the baby weight! :)

Congrats on the pregnancy, and from what i hear, lots of women have gotten pregnant with the band - i dont have kids yet and I hope - in a few years - i am one of those women! just think of how quickly you will lose the baby weight! :)

awesome reply :-)

I had the band for the simple reason of one day wanting to have a baby. I have PCOS and did not ovulate until I lost weight. I knew if I got pregnant and added 50-60lbs on top of my 220 I would be huge and unhealthy. So I got banded. There is one person on here that has been banded before getting pregnant. I think it is Karen Lynn. Maybe you could PM her and ask her specifics.

Check out www.malleysurgical.com.

Under the success stories section there is a lady named Theresa who has done a video blog of her lap band journey. She unexpectedly got pregnant after only losing a little bit of weight. The last blog entry was at 32 weeks. I am sure she has had the baby by now as that blog has been up for a couple of months, but it will give you an idea of what she has done.

If you want to watch a lap band surgery being done they also have that available on the site as well.

Hey Jessica,

I had my daughter (1 year ago almost) after my band. After being banded I decided to try to get pregnant, it didn't happen, gave up, then tried again about 9 months after banding and got pregnant immediately. I had a medium fill at the time and my doc wanted me to gain the regular 30 pounds, even though I weighed 215 when I got pregnant. So I got a complete unfill I think around 2.5 months preg. I was glad I did, because as she grew I did get a little tighter. I never had any issues whatsoever though, with eating or PBing or anything. And I did gain like 33 lbs I think. So when I had her I was at 248. And yes I am at 158 now and super close to goal!

I personally wanted to have 1 last baby before I lost all my weight. I was afraid that if I got to goal, then got pregnant and went crazy with food, I wouldn't get re-filled afterwards and return to my old habits. At times I felt mad that I basically started over. But, I did get a super sweet girl out of it! And it's been less than a year and I feel so great. Try not to view it as starting over. It's just a bump in the weight loss road. I have heard that someone's doctor told her to only gain like 5 or 10lbs during pregnancy, but that seems kind of nuts to me. Babies plus placenta and extra blood weight that much at least. So just realize that you HAVE to gain, for the baby. I seriously had fun eating. It sounds crazy but I knew 100% that after she was born I was DONE being huge. So I ate all the stuff I wanted and said goodbye to my old fave chinese food. And then 4 weeks after I had her I got a fill and then really went for it.

I know that lots of women have had babies with the band. I had fairly bad morning sickness and puked a lot, no band issues. Had a cesarean and lots of ultrasounds, no band issues. So don't worry! Just make sure your OBGYN knows what the band is. And take care of yourself!!

Karen

Feel free to ask me any other questions!

Hi,I got my lap band last fall and chose to do it at that time because I felt like I was done having kids and ready to take care of myself and my body. I was doing well, I have lost 60 pounds...and then suddenly I find out that I am pregnant...total surprise...

But mostly I am worried about being pregnant with the band and complications that cause my band to have to come out. Or somehow the pregnancy damages my band.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Hey Jessica,

I had my daughter (1 year ago almost) after my band. After being banded I decided to try to get pregnant, it didn't happen, gave up, then tried again about 9 months after banding and got pregnant immediately. I had a medium fill at the time and my doc wanted me to gain the regular 30 pounds, even though I weighed 215 when I got pregnant. So I got a complete unfill I think around 2.5 months preg. I was glad I did, because as she grew I did get a little tighter. I never had any issues whatsoever though, with eating or PBing or anything. And I did gain like 33 lbs I think. So when I had her I was at 248. And yes I am at 158 now and super close to goal!

I personally wanted to have 1 last baby before I lost all my weight. I was afraid that if I got to goal, then got pregnant and went crazy with food, I wouldn't get re-filled afterwards and return to my old habits. At times I felt mad that I basically started over. But, I did get a super sweet girl out of it! And it's been less than a year and I feel so great. Try not to view it as starting over. It's just a bump in the weight loss road. I have heard that someone's doctor told her to only gain like 5 or 10lbs during pregnancy, but that seems kind of nuts to me. Babies plus placenta and extra blood weight that much at least. So just realize that you HAVE to gain, for the baby. I seriously had fun eating. It sounds crazy but I knew 100% that after she was born I was DONE being huge. So I ate all the stuff I wanted and said goodbye to my old fave chinese food. And then 4 weeks after I had her I got a fill and then really went for it.

I know that lots of women have had babies with the band. I had fairly bad morning sickness and puked a lot, no band issues. Had a cesarean and lots of ultrasounds, no band issues. So don't worry! Just make sure your OBGYN knows what the band is. And take care of yourself!!

Karen

Feel free to ask me any other questions!

Karen,

You are a lifesaver!!! I feel so much better hearing your story. I did want to ask you though...you said you got unfilled all the way at 2 months pregnant...After the unfill were you able to eat normally like you did before the band...or did you still have minor restriction? I appreciate your advice so much...helps me get over my slightly negative attitude and think more positively.

Karen,

You are a lifesaver!!! I feel so much better hearing your story. I did want to ask you though...you said you got unfilled all the way at 2 months pregnant...After the unfill were you able to eat normally like you did before the band...or did you still have minor restriction? I appreciate your advice so much...helps me get over my slightly negative attitude and think more positively.

Yes I was able to eat like before. But I did feel like I had a little bit of restriction, I didn't eat quite as much as I thought I would at once, or I would be full longer than I thought I would, so that was good!

Have fun and good luck!

Karen

It's not mine, I swear

lol. j/k

Congrats

I too had lost about 60 lbs (took a year) and then got prego.

I'm 30 weeks prego, have gained 10 pounds and never got unfilled (I think I'm at 2.8mm). I've had no complications so far. I take lots of vitamins and get lots of protein. I drink a TON of water, like 1-2 gallons a day (drives hubby crazy as he has to keep refilling our 5 gallon jugs (6 of them) at the water store ever week and a half to two weeks instead of once a month lol). I have to say drinking so much water has made a huge difference as I'm not getting cramps in my legs yet and I'm in the last trimester. I didn't drink as much water when I was prego w/ first and got cramps in the night in the beginning of the second trimester.

I did have terrible morning sickness, throwing up a couple of times at the beginning and a couple of times this week. Feel free to ask me any questions at all!!! I only have 9 weeks left YEA! (csection a week early due to medical reasons). I'm not done w/ the pregnancy yet but I know I was scared in the beginning cause I couldn't find anyone else that had been prego w/ the band to talk to, so I'm here if you want to ask me anything:)

I'm 30 weeks prego, have gained 10 pounds and never got unfilled (I think I'm at 2.8mm). I've had no complications so far. I take lots of vitamins and get lots of protein. I drink a TON of water, like 1-2 gallons a day (drives hubby crazy as he has to keep refilling our 5 gallon jugs (6 of them) at the water store ever week and a half to two weeks instead of once a month lol). I have to say drinking so much water has made a huge difference as I'm not getting cramps in my legs yet and I'm in the last trimester. I didn't drink as much water when I was prego w/ first and got cramps in the night in the beginning of the second trimester.

I did have terrible morning sickness, throwing up a couple of times at the beginning and a couple of times this week. Feel free to ask me any questions at all!!! I only have 9 weeks left YEA! (csection a week early due to medical reasons). I'm not done w/ the pregnancy yet but I know I was scared in the beginning cause I couldn't find anyone else that had been prego w/ the band to talk to, so I'm here if you want to ask me anything:)

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but have you told your doctor how much water you are drinking? Most people do not know this, but too much water can be toxic causing water on the brain among other things. Check out this link to read about it. http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

Hey thanks for your help. I called my fill doctor here in Utah and told him I was pregnant and asked what I should do about being unfilled. He said to do nothing at all. He said that unfilling a pregnant patient was, in his exact words "bull crap and old school thinking." He said that as long as I was doing fine and not having any problems, they would just leave me where I'm at. I have a pretty good fill at 1.7cc's. I would say just about perfect. I am so glad to here from someone else who not only had the band while pregnant, but also kept your fill in the entire time. I think I am going to work on drinking more water too. Hey did you feel like your OBGYN responded well to you having the band? I wondered about them being judgemental or something. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but have you told your doctor how much water you are drinking? Most people do not know this, but too much water can be toxic causing water on the brain among other things. Check out this link to read about it. http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

Actually I have heard of water poisoning (a nurse in the family-I get to hear all kinds of stuff) and I heard about that story too (the contest). I only drink a glass at a time though, not a gallon. I've been measuring it one day a couple of weeks ago and it's more like a gallon to a gallon and a half of water in a whole day THROUGHOUT the day, from the time I wake to bedtime:) I guess it just seemed like more as I'm always thirsty:) Thanks for the concern and article.

Hey thanks for your help. I called my fill doctor here in Utah and told him I was pregnant and asked what I should do about being unfilled. He said to do nothing at all. He said that unfilling a pregnant patient was, in his exact words "bull crap and old school thinking." He said that as long as I was doing fine and not having any problems, they would just leave me where I'm at. I have a pretty good fill at 1.7cc's. I would say just about perfect. I am so glad to here from someone else who not only had the band while pregnant, but also kept your fill in the entire time. I think I am going to work on drinking more water too. Hey did you feel like your OBGYN responded well to you having the band? I wondered about them being judgemental or something. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

My ob has been awesome! He doesn't treat me any different than with the first baby:) I did kinda expect him to ask questions but he didn't. I thought it would be an issue but I'm the one asking him all the questions:) He did tell me not to eat rice lol which I don't anyway. He's not concerned about my lack of weight gain (again something I brought up) because the detailed ultra sound showed everything was great and he has measured me to make sure I'm growing at the right speed. He did say to get plenty of protein and nutrients which I try hard to do:)

Hi,

I rarely get on this site now because I am 16 weeks pregnant!!!!! I am due Sept 13, but expect to have the baby in late August because of blood pressure issues.

I was banded August 2008 & have lost about 40 pounds.

I blood pressure complications during my first pregnancy so I am still not 100% out of the woods yet. But this is such a healthier pregnancy than last. I am exercising regularly. I have not gotten a unfill yet. My ob is totally great with the band. sometimes I think she has one too!

My blood pressure very well controlled right now and I pray it will stay this way. I am 38 so that puts me in high risk already!!

Just work closely with your doctors. Drive them crazy with questions. Try to exercise as much as you can within reason if you were before getting prego!!

And lastly, CONGRATS!!! This will probably be your healthiest pregnancy!!

Please keep posting. One of the main reasons I got banded was because I want to have another baby. I have reached my goal and I got off the pill last month I'm a little worried but exited to see how fast I get pregnant. Before I use to have a hard time getting pregnant weighting at 265 so now I wonder if I will get pregnant faster at 145. Congratulations and I hope you have a healthy and safe pregnancy and a beautiful baby.