My first fill and disappointment

Hey everybody!! So yesterday I had my first fill and I'm pretty disappointed with the results. I have no restriction whatsoever!! Let me preface this upcoming rant with this - my family and I are going out of the country for spring break next week and I told my fill doc to be kind of conservative, because I didn't want to get sick or not be able to eat while we were gone and not be able to get any help--- Okay, that being said, I was expecting some restriction. :-?

She at first put 2.25 cc in my band and after 5 minutes had me drink some water and it came right back up, so she said we definitely need to take some out. She took out .50 cc's and that left me with 1.75. We repeated the water thing and it went down ok. So, she said try that and call me on Sunday and tell me how you are feeling...

After the fill, I tried some broth for lunch and it went down fine, so I thought well it just hasn't had time to "kick in yet" (whatever that means).. Last night for supper, I had a protein shake but had made scalloped potatoes and baked chicken for the family. After drinking my shake - once again with no problem - I thought I would try some of the scalloped potatoes. Guess what - no restriction at all!! I could have eaten the whole dish, but of course I didn't... This morning I ate a sausage link and once again - no problem or restriction at all!! :((

I know that I am complaining about not having restriction even though it was my decision to be conservative with the fill, but come on people, I expected something!! I am so discouraged with myself and this band at this point. I am one of those who only lost 10 pounds after surgery and even thought I started with a lower BMI, I am sooooo ready to start losing weight!!! :angry: I think I will call her tomorrow and go back and get a little bit more put in...

Thank you for listening to my rant!!!

She is right. I had very little restriction after my first fill. This is par for the course.

And, actually, I have heard (may not be factual) but the lower your BMI, the harder it will be to lose weight. You'll get there!

Sabrina:)

I have not had a fill yet so I am in no means an expert. Some longer banders may be able to answer your concern. By what you said you tried to eat to me they sound like slippery foods. creamy/fatty foods that would slide thru the band. Someone may be able to suggest a food with more substance to try to see if you feel the restriction. Did you have your fill done under floro?

With having the 2.25 and water coming back up you know what it feels like to have restriction but too much. Don't compare that to what you are feeling now. If you still feel nothing sunday like she said call her. Maybe she can add in the .25 to give you 2.

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes.. Hope everything goes good for you.

i also had no restriction after my first fill. also, i always felt i was losing weight slower then everyone else seemed to. it was especially frustrating that the harder i worked at losing weight--hours at the gym, limiting calories to 1000/day or less--the slower my weight loss seemed to be. what i have discovered is that my body responds better to moderation. i have actually lost more lbs when i do eat around 1200 to 1400 calories per day. i am spending less time at the gym, but a lot more time being generally active. i am doing lots of gardening right now--digging holes and preparing the ground for planting uses a lot of energy!

i never actually felt restriction until after my second fill. and it has been completely unpredictable since then. some days i can eat like before i was banded. some days the restriction will kick in after two bites of anything. a few days i wasn't able to eat anything. but, the next day i would be fine.

but with or without feeling restriction, the best thing the band has given me is the almost total lack of feeling the sensation of hunger. i almost never FEEL hungry anymore. so the lbs continue to come off--even if it has been at a slower rate then i would have liked.

I didn't really have "restriction" until my 10th fill and I was banded 2/29/08 with fills every month except 2 for the first year and I still lost weight each month. All fills and dr. visits were included in the cost of my surgery for the first year. But, knowing how much I paid for this surgery there was no way I was going to eat just for the sake of it because I did not want to stretch my pouch.

Restriction for me still does not come in the form of how things go down, providing I chew the way I am supposed to. :D My restriction comes in the form of only being able to eat about a cup of food. Shakes and liquids go thru my band as well, as they are supposed to do.

Since this is your first fill and you really do not know how your body is going to react to it at this point I would not suggest getting any more fill before your trip, especially since you are going out of the country. The last thing you want is to have your fill "kick in" while you are on vacation and not be able to get it taken care of. Better to play it safe and just work with what you have got.

As you know everyone is different. My friend and I would get our fills done at the same time, we are both up to 6 fills. She would feel instant tightness, especially in her throat. Me....I would have to say that 5 out of the 6 times, my fill wouldn't kick in for at least a week or more. Since this is your first fill and you don't know how your band is going to react, be patient. You definitely don't want to be in a situation where you are uncomfortable and unable to do anything about it. Good Luck!

STOP comparing yourself with others. You can't do this. Whatever the reason, your lower BMI, your height, your medical issues, whatever...you are not going to be the same with anyone. YOUR body is your body and no one is going to be the same as you. Like bjansert says, BE PATIENT. You've spent good hard earning money for this band and it's not going to work within months. Stressing over how much you only lost verses to others losing lots, is not helping you at all. Don't focus too hard on yourself...as you won't lose and get frustrated. You need to have faith and believe the band will work in your own body's time frame.

Most definitely listen to what everyone is saying. Don't risk getting another wee fill nowj ust because you can't feel restriction at the moment. Like the others, I didn't feel the restriction on my first fill until a week later. With my 2nd fill, which I had on Dec 20 last year, the same and I've been on this same fill since. Right now, I've plateau for a bit and decided to go and get my 3rd fill next weekend at OCC. It's time for me and I gave it my earnest try.

Remember, you first fill is like a 'primer' to get your body and band use to the idea of being tightened like Mona says. It's part of the program and it's progressive program. Getting a few fills at a time is a good thing because you and your band are trying to adjust accordingly and then you work your band at that level of restriction until you've got it mastered. Then when you've done all you can and start to plataeu again and not losing, is when you go for another fill.

Like Smiley, I concentrate on the portion control verses to what I can eat before I get full and that is how I really lost most of my weight. I don't eat more than a cup at each meal, whether I am full or not. I am trying to use more of my own willpower over the band's control. I now can start to live and go forward with my daily life instead of focusing too much on my eating. I do other things to occupy myself than to wonder when I am going to eat next.

It's all in the mindset my dear! Hang in there...give the band a chance to do it's thing and keep measuring your food accordingly. You will get it ~ YOU CAN DO THIS!

((HUGS!))

Thanks everyone for all of your input!! I pretty much expected to hear everything ya'll said, but I guess I just wanted to hear it anyway!! LOL! I still have no restriction 3 days later, but I am not going to sweat it until we get back from our trip.. My TOM is due any minute so I know that is not helping my appetite or my psyche at this point!! :P

Thanks again for everyone's support!!

PS: I hope one day I will have the patience and insight of Jazzy!!!! ><'

It took me 4 fills to finally have restriction. My last fill was done in december and in the last few weeks my band has REALLY tightened. These bands are so weird, never know when they are going to kick in. Give it some time. Most of the time the 1st fill does not give restriction. Hang in there you will do great!

Hey everybody!! So yesterday I had my first fill and I'm pretty disappointed with the results. I have no restriction whatsoever!! Let me preface this upcoming rant with this - my family and I are going out of the country for spring break next week and I told my fill doc to be kind of conservative, because I didn't want to get sick or not be able to eat while we were gone and not be able to get any help--- Okay, that being said, I was expecting some restriction. :-?

She at first put 2.25 cc in my band and after 5 minutes had me drink some water and it came right back up, so she said we definitely need to take some out. She took out .50 cc's and that left me with 1.75. We repeated the water thing and it went down ok. So, she said try that and call me on Sunday and tell me how you are feeling...

After the fill, I tried some broth for lunch and it went down fine, so I thought well it just hasn't had time to "kick in yet" (whatever that means).. Last night for supper, I had a protein shake but had made scalloped potatoes and baked chicken for the family. After drinking my shake - once again with no problem - I thought I would try some of the scalloped potatoes. Guess what - no restriction at all!! I could have eaten the whole dish, but of course I didn't... This morning I ate a sausage link and once again - no problem or restriction at all!! :((

I know that I am complaining about not having restriction even though it was my decision to be conservative with the fill, but come on people, I expected something!! I am so discouraged with myself and this band at this point. I am one of those who only lost 10 pounds after surgery and even thought I started with a lower BMI, I am sooooo ready to start losing weight!!! :angry: I think I will call her tomorrow and go back and get a little bit more put in...

Thank you for listening to my rant!!!

Look up Dolittle's guide to a successful fill. Follow it to the letter, and your next fill will go better.

Look up Dolittle's guide to a successful fill. Follow it to the letter, and your next fill will go better.

The following suggestions are good rules of thumb and will greatly increase your chances of getting a good fill.

1. Be sure you are very well hydrated when you come in for your fill appointment. That means at least 8-10 full glasses of liquid every day for at least several days before the fill.

(You really need this amount at all times anyway).

Drink especially well the morning of the fill. If you're flying in, it can be much harder to stay hydrated, so take a drink bottle and drink very often! Those little "to-go" packs of Crystal Lite are ideal - ask the flight attendants for a refill of your water bottle, pop one in, and then you will have plenty to drink. Those little 4-oz cups of liquid they give you during flight are useless.

(Hint - If you fly for a fill, While you're on the plane, also take home a couple of those white barf bags –

good to keep one in your purse or car, both now and later, for "emergencies".)

2. Be sure not to have any solid foods for at least 6 hours before the fill. Don't eat a huge or late dinner the night before. If you're having any trouble (reflux, possible slip, etc)

please have nothing but fluids after dinner the night before.

In some cases, food can still be in the pouch for 12 or more hours.

ANY food in the pouch will make it impossible to give a good fill, or get a good fluoro

3. Don't drink COLD fluids for an hour before the fill. That will shrink your stoma and give a false fluoro reading, and a poor fill. Room temp fluids are fine. Let the ice in your drink bottle melt and hour before a fill,

and then you'll have room-temp fluids to drink right up to the fill time.

4. Avoid getting a fill during a menstrual period or a few days before an expected one. During this time, we are usually retaining water, and the fluoro will not be as accurate, and the fill will not be either.

5. If at all possible, hang around for at least a few hours after a fill. Don't run right back home or to the plane. It takes the normal swelling after a fill 1-2 hours to develop, and by that time you might be too tight and need to come right back.

6. If you fly in, If at all possible, stay overnight and catch a plane out the following late afternoon or evening. If you are too tight, this will allow time to get a small unfill before you leave. This is not very convenient, but sure beats having to possibly return to TJ in a few days, on short notice, in pain, and at high last-minute plane fares! This is "prevention!" Overfills are not common, but they DO happen, even under the best of conditions. Be prepared, and think about this overnight stay.

7. After a fill, please have liquids only for at least 24 hrs. This allows the stoma to rest and heal. Then, a day of soft foods, then back to regular foods. Full liquids are fine, no need for clears.

8. Review the eating and food guidelines again before every fill. You’ll need to refine your eating more and more with higher fill levels, and there will be less and less room for goofs. As you reach a higher fill level, you'll no longer be able to "get away" with things you might have before!

9. Please don't get a fill if you are having ANY trouble with the current level of fill. This means ANY regular pain, PB or barfing more than maybe once a week at the VERY most, not able to get enough

calories in, not able to drink enough, able to eat only soft foods or fluids.

More fill will NOT help, and will make things worse. Discuss all this carefully with your doc. You may even need an UNFILL, to keep your band and stomach safe.

10. First fills are not routinely given at 6-8 weeks - but only as you need them. Many people do, some do not. We'll help you decide if you need a fill - just ask. There is no rush for fills. Too much can very easily get you in trouble, and you end up further "behind" than if you had gone slower with fills.

11. Give a fill at least 2-3 weeks to test it. Some fills don't "settle in" for a week or two, and sometimes more. Your weigth loss is what determines how a fill is - not any feeling of restriction, necessarily.

12. One of the most impt things in determining if a fill is good is choosing proper band foods. Soft foods, liquids, junk foods, sweets, etc will NEVER be well-resticted, and will never tell a thing about having a good fill or not. Only solid foods give useful info.

A good test meal is 2-4 oz of solid meat or chicken - be sure it's soft and moist - and about 1/2 cup veggies. You should be able to eat about a cup of food (no less) and this should keep you satisfied (NOT "FULL", but simply "satisfied, not physically hungry". for about 3-4 hrs.

13. Plan regular meals. A good fill will keep you satisfied for 3-4 hrs, but no longer. If you are hungry 5 hrs after kunch, it is not becuase you have an inadequate fill! Reular meals aty planned times are important for a number of reasons, including avoiding snacking, maximizing calorie burn 9which = wt loss) and normalizing metabolism, which is essential for wt maintanace later on.

14. Learn to recognize YOUR "soft stop" sign . Common ones are chest tightness or "fullness", a sudden runny nose, a single hiccup or burp, an eye twitch, back pain, left should pain. All mean the pouch is full enough and we should TOP eating, even spitting out the bite that may be already in our mouths. If we do not, wqe can progress to the "hard stop" - sloning, pb, barfing.

Please remember that good fills are very elusive, even with highly- experienced docs and fill people. There are just too many individual factors involved that the docs cannot control. Even the fluoro is only a clue, and not entirely accurate - for some of the reasons above.

It usually takes 3- 5 fills to slowly and safely creep up on a good level, and they can be safely given a month apart.

Trying to go faster with a bigger fill is not the solution, and the stomach rebels at big sudden fills. The goal of th first few fills is NOT to achieve a good resticrion, but to gradually get your stomach used to some pressure so you can tolerate a GOOD fill later.

SLOW and GRADUAL is the key!

Going slowly with fills can be frustrating, but is well worth the wait to avoid problems.

Your post didn't say what size band you have, but if you have the 4.0 band then a fill of 2.25 cc and even 1.75 cc is pretty aggressive.

My fill doc has me do liquids for a week after fill so not sure why you were trying to eat scalloped potatoes the next day?

The band works, but you have to respect your band and work it right in order to get results.

Good Luck!

Your post didn't say what size band you have, but if you have the 4.0 band then a fill of 2.25 cc and even 1.75 cc is pretty aggressive.

My fill doc has me do liquids for a week after fill so not sure why you were trying to eat scalloped potatoes the next day?

The band works, but you have to respect your band and work it right in order to get results.

Good Luck!

I have the 4cc band and my fill doc instructed me to do liquids for 24 hours only so I was within that time frame when I ate the scalloped potatoes. And I didn't have but a couple of bites of the potatoes anyway. Believe me, I have not taken any chances with this band and I don't intend to!! The band is a funny thing because this morning I have not been able to eat anything, so I'm going to stay on liquids today..Go figure...