Newbee

gordons1

I am 62 y/o with a BMI of 45 who has always wanted to do the lap band; recently, I decided to have it done but I have some real last moment reservations. I recognize this is "permanent" (not another fad diet) that requires major changes in one'e eating habits. I enjoy drinking ice tea with my meals...love BBQ...and definately eat too fast. Now I will have to permanently chew food 30x or so each time I bite. These are eating habits I am not used to doing; can I adjust to revolutionary way of eating? Am I ready to give up my bad habbits for a new forced way of eating (with the band)? I realize I will loose weight but I can't occasionally "sin" any more. will I adjust???

I would like to hear from folks who in their first year had to deal with these "new significant permanent changes in eating"...

I am 62 y/o with a BMI of 45 who has always wanted to do the lap band; recently, I decided to have it done but I have some real last moment reservations. I recognize this is "permanent" (not another fad diet) that requires major changes in one'e eating habits. I enjoy drinking ice tea with my meals...love BBQ...and definately eat too fast. Now I will have to permanently chew food 30x or so each time I bite. These are eating habits I am not used to doing; can I adjust to revolutionary way of eating? Am I ready to give up my bad habbits for a new forced way of eating (with the band)? I realize I will loose weight but I can't occasionally "sin" any more. will I adjust???

I would like to hear from folks who in their first year had to deal with these "new significant permanent changes in eating"...

Truth be told--it took me six months to deal with my eating habits being changed. I still have "head hunger" issues, but I probably wouldn't have lost 40lbs. if I hadn't had the band done. Don't worry. You can still eat your favorite foods later on--just one or two bites. You will get used to it!! It is worth it!!

Truth be told--it took me six months to deal with my eating habits being changed. I still have "head hunger" issues, but I probably wouldn't have lost 40lbs. if I hadn't had the band done. Don't worry. You can still eat your favorite foods later on--just one or two bites. You will get used to it!! It is worth it!!

Hi- NB here 2 :-h

See as long as once in a blue moon if I could have a bite Or two I believe I could handle it, I've just started researching this week, so may I ask gordons1 and anyone that would like to answer, How long have you been thinking about getting band?

that would like to answer,

I'm questioning how much research is enough, Like when was your (As Oprah would say ) your AhHa moment?

thanks

shiney

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i was banded 10 months ago. it took me about a year to finally commit to having the surgery done. i had scheduled the procedure elsewhere and wound up chickening out. but i finally acknowledged that i wasn't going to be able to lose and keep the weight off on my own. i had already been locked in battle with the weight for over 3 decades and despite temporary triumphs, it kept coming back. i thought what i was going to have the hardest time adjusting to was the no drinking with meals. but, what has turned out to be the hardest is the eating slowly. i used to wolf down my meals, at work you gotta eat fast--no time for sitting. now it takes me forever to eat an entire meal. and it is sometimes hard to drink as much as i should.

but, i can still eat all of the foods i have always enjoyed. i go to restaurants with friends. i just end up taking at least half of my meal home. i still love bread. giving up sodas turned out not to be hard at all.

and ultimately, the weight has come off. and i am eating more healthy then i used to.

Hello,

I am 62 years old and am so excited about having been banded,. I was worried about "could I limit my intake", etc. What I have discovered since the first day being banded, is "I am not hungry!".

I feel great. I left the Clinic 2 hours after banding and I was fine.

I decided to get banded, because I wanted to live the rest of my life in a thinner body, no more big shirts, large pants, etc.

Do yourself a favor go to Dr. Ortiz. I believe he is the best. I was treated like Roalty at Dr. Ortiz's Clinic.

Best of luck to you.

Ginny Mueller

I went two years ago to get band and they said no. Two years later I gained 15 lbs and woke up on Sunday and saw a commercial on TV and called them Monday and was banded on Friday. I am very happy with my decision. It is alot of work still but I am not hungry.

All newbies go throught this anxiety thing. Everyone is scared of change. The band is a great tool. Yes,, It does have a learning curve to it. You'll learn what you can eat and what you can't. Some foods go down way to easy,, some just get stuck. You'll learn stuff like that. LOL. The biggest change you'll have is that you won't be eating like you did before. The band, with a proper fill, does work. Yes,, it takes a little work from YOU. But when you see yourself loosing weight, you'll LOVE YOUR BAND!

I also want to add that just because you get the band you think that's it,,, noooooo,, it helps to add some DAILY EXERCISE into your routine too. Also,, don't ever think your too old. It's never too late, I'm 55 and I wish I would have done it 10 years ago when I first looked into it.

Hi there...I just celebrated my 54th b'day this past weekend and I will tell you I am having a ball with my band! I was banded last year, Oct 8. Yes, there are limitations to what I can and can't do, but IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH, you will do whatever it takes for a new, healthier you. It can be done! It's VERY simple.

Yes, it's all about relearning how you SHOULD eat healthier and live a more normal life and enjoying it. Anything is possible if you set your mind to it. How bad do you want it? Are you willing to spend the money for a more healthier you and lifestyle change? If you are not ready to work WITH your band, then don't do this. It's not a 'miracle pill' and you just sit and wait for the results. Don't waste your money if you are not prepared for this AMAZING adventure of your life! But I got to tell you, YOU ARE WORTH IT!

You can still have your iced tea, just not at meals time. And who says you can't have BBQ? I do! I learned HOW to eat my foods, the proper way, and I enjoy my food with the people I socialize with. Yes, you may chew more often on certain denser foods, but your foods would be already cut into smaller pieces ahead of time. BUT, you will regain a newfound love of food, feel fuller quicker, and enjoy the taste of it, instead of woofing it down, not tasting it, and not getting the full feeling until you've had 2 or 3 helpings full ~ in which later, you will be disappointed as to how much you ate. Sounds familiar?

For me, I totally disagree with this being hard to adjust...it's the unknown we are fearing in what we are getting ourselves into. I wanted this bad enough that I NEVER had a bad or negative feeling about the band. It's all about me and how I am treating myself and I've prepared myself for this new healthier lifestyle change. I am THANKFUL for my band! I am down 65 lbs and I am over the 'hump' in reaching my goal.

I feel GREAT and HAPPY, I feel DETERMINED and MOTIVATED, I am ENERGIZED and DRIVEN, and I am LIVING my life! Does this interest you?

Good luck with your decision...Jazzy!!