Crazy Story

So I was on the elliptical doing my usual 45 minutes (I had to build up to even that and I'm dying during the last 10 min) and I look over at the machine next to mine and this girl is on 87 minutes!! I ask her does she just go until she burns a certain amount of calories? And she tells me that the machine will ONLY let her go up to 99 minutes! So she does that and the 5 minute cool down and burns...1457 calories! What the hell? Does this just seem a bit over the top to me? (On a side note, she was painfully thin--easily a size 0 or 2). Maybe she has body dysmorphia or something, I don't know, but I just had to vent to people that might actually be interested in something like this. :) Thank you for letting me do that! Enjoy your week-end!

okay once upon a time long before bandster land I was very in shape - still chunky but I could go go go, I just ate too much. Anyways - I could giver on the eliptical. I could have easily gone that long, but my stupid ass gym MAKES you get off after half an hour for 15 min to let others have a chance...anyways - I would have loved to have gone that long....altough I too worked myself up to that! Now - I can only do 20 min and Im almost dying.

I hope your gym isn't very busy. I would blow a gasket if someone was hogging a machine like that. When I was at the Y, there was a 30 minute limit. If that isn't enough, you would increase the resistance untl it was like you're going rockclimbing. 30 minutes is plenty . You can always change up the machine.

Having said that, I have rotated back onto the eliptical, it is so much easier on the knees than the treadmill.

I have a anorexic family member and she does stuff like that. So, you just never know. There is healthy exercise and there is compulsive/obsessive exercise as a means to control weight. So, yes, it does sound a bit over the top to me.

I was in better shape when I was younger too but I never spent 99 minutes on any gym machine with the goal of burning calories. When I was younger, I varied my exercise with hiking, dancing and aerobics and it was integrated into my whole social network at the time so it was part healthy and part fun and part social.

Who knows, maybe she makes her living by being a model or an actress and needs to be some tiny size. Even dancers (ballet) and gymnasts need to be tiny. So, if your livelyhood depends on it, then I could understand it, otherwise, I would say it is a little bit odd. But, that is just my opinion.

Dawn

I hope your gym isn't very busy. I would blow a gasket if someone was hogging a machine like that. When I was at the Y, there was a 30 minute limit. If that isn't enough, you would increase the resistance untl it was like you're going rockclimbing. 30 minutes is plenty . You can always change up the machine.

Having said that, I have rotated back onto the eliptical, it is so much easier on the knees than the treadmill.

My gym does have a 30 minute limit only when people are waiting. I go to the gym anywhere from 11am-2pm and it's never crowded. Yeah, I love the elliptical--lots o' calorie burning without the high impact.

I have a anorexic family member and she does stuff like that. So, you just never know. There is healthy exercise and there is compulsive/obsessive exercise as a means to control weight. So, yes, it does sound a bit over the top to me.

I was in better shape when I was younger too but I never spent 99 minutes on any gym machine with the goal of burning calories. When I was younger, I varied my exercise with hiking, dancing and aerobics and it was integrated into my whole social network at the time so it was part healthy and part fun and part social.

Who knows, maybe she makes her living by being a model or an actress and needs to be some tiny size. Even dancers (ballet) and gymnasts need to be tiny. So, if your livelyhood depends on it, then I could understand it, otherwise, I would say it is a little bit odd. But, that is just my opinion.

Dawn

She very may well be anorexic--I haven't seen stick arms in real life in a long while. Part of me was shocked by the visual and the other part was actually impressed with her stamina.

okay once upon a time long before bandster land I was very in shape - still chunky but I could go go go, I just ate too much. Anyways - I could giver on the eliptical. I could have easily gone that long, but my stupid ass gym MAKES you get off after half an hour for 15 min to let others have a chance...anyways - I would have loved to have gone that long....altough I too worked myself up to that! Now - I can only do 20 min and Im almost dying.

That is impressive--I started out at 20 minutes in January and have since worked up the the 45 minutes, but I don't know if I'll ever build up to an hour or more!!

I think the important lesson to take from this story is that alot of people have issues with body image, not just the overweight.

I was at a weight watchers meeting last week at work, a skinny co-worker came to the meeting and people were mean. I had to remind them that we all have issues with food and that is why we were there.

Try to not make harsh judgments on her, I know that I don't go to the gym because I feel like people would be looking at me and say oh what a fatty, can you imagine how she must feel.

Shy

That is impressive--I started out at 20 minutes in January and have since worked up the the 45 minutes, but I don't know if I'll ever build up to an hour or more!!

I HATE that Machine! It is the devil....lol I tried it and It is soooo sad to say but I went a whole 3 MINUTES and thought I was going to DIE! THREE MINS!

Carrie

I think the important lesson to take from this story is that alot of people have issues with body image, not just the overweight.

I was at a weight watchers meeting last week at work, a skinny co-worker came to the meeting and people were mean. I had to remind them that we all have issues with food and that is why we were there.

Try to not make harsh judgments on her, I know that I don't go to the gym because I feel like people would be looking at me and say oh what a fatty, can you imagine how she must feel.

Shy

Who's making harsh judgments? Nobody here. It just was something that I've never been confronted with before. No, I can't imagine how she must feel because I'd be dead if I were on that elliptical for 104 minutes. And, you see all types at the gym nowadays--from 13 year olds to 90 year olds to 400 lb. people to 90 lb. people. The gym doesn't have just hard bodies anymore--at least not in San Diego.

I HATE that Machine! It is the devil....lol I tried it and It is soooo sad to say but I went a whole 3 MINUTES and thought I was going to DIE! THREE MINS!

Carrie

LOL! It's true! Some days I feel like I'm not going to make it and other days I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack--but it's the best bang for your buck in my opinion. And I don't feel clumsy on it like I do on the treadmill--I can't walk a straight line to save my life, let alone a moving one!

LOL! It's true! Some days I feel like I'm not going to make it and other days I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack--but it's the best bang for your buck in my opinion. And I don't feel clumsy on it like I do on the treadmill--I can't walk a straight line to save my life, let alone a moving one!

Sooo there with you all! The first time I ever got on the eliptical I could only go like 3 minutes! I was like screw this i'm getting on the treadmill! :)

Yeah, sounds to me like this woman has some issues - that is really unfortunate. That is just entirely too long to me!

Shoot - I love the elliptical, but after 99 minutes on it they would have to call a fork lift to get me back to the locker room because my legs would not carry me. They feel kind of funny after 45 minutes.

On Friday mornings I do a spin class and we typically go for an hour even though it is a 45 minute class. I spend the rest of the day limping around and walking like an old woman.

Some people are addicted to exercise which has the potential to do more harm than good. If you see her there again maybe you can find out her motivation for working out that long.

LOLOLOLOL

this is sooo funnnyyy

Iam one of those Weird people who are on elliptical for

up to 100 mins or more

I use to burn 1200-1500 calories each day about 2 weeks a go

until people on this board asked me not to.....

I am in love with this machine

Now I am on this machine for 70 min total and burn 900-1000 calories.

then I use StairMaster for 20 min

weights for 20 mins

still struggling with my weight loss !!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOL

this is sooo funnnyyy

up to 100 mins or more

weights for 20 mins

Girl--your burning more than you put in to fuel your body!! And truth be told, I don't know if it's good or bad--but I know when I don't eat enough calories (like today I had problems with tightness and only ate about 900) I get the craziest brain farts--it's like I can't find my words or think straight. That is what I thought when I saw that she had burned 1457 calories. I thought to myself, hey! That's more than I actually eat in a day.

Shoot - I love the elliptical, but after 99 minutes on it they would have to call a fork lift to get me back to the locker room because my legs would not carry me. They feel kind of funny after 45 minutes.

On Friday mornings I do a spin class and we typically go for an hour even though it is a 45 minute class. I spend the rest of the day limping around and walking like an old woman.

Some people are addicted to exercise which has the potential to do more harm than good. If you see her there again maybe you can find out her motivation for working out that long.

I know, right? When I get off after 45 minutes I feel a bit wobbly--today I felt high. It was the craziest feeling--if I knew that I didn't do recreational drugs anymore, I would have sworn I was high. Maybe the endorphin rush ain't no joke.

Actually, today was the first time I saw this woman. But it was obvious she was no stranger to exercise--maybe I will ask her if I ever see her again. 'Cause I am curious to why people do the things they do. (Of course, I will do it in a nice, casual way so I don't just sound nosy.)

LOLOLOLOL

this is sooo funnnyyy

up to 100 mins or more

weights for 20 mins

If you enjoy working out this much, you need to increase your food intake.

weights for 20 mins

You are still burning too many calories if you are staying withing the 1200 calorie range. Most health clubs have personal trainers on staff. I would suggest making an appointment with one (there may or may not be a fee associated with it) and putting together a workout plan with them. Some places even have nutritionist which would also be a good person to meet with. If there is a Hy-Vee grocery store in your area I think they have nutritionist available to meet with you. You need to be 100% honest with these people in regards to the band, how many calories you eat a day as well as how much you have been exercising.

If you don't want to go the personal trainer/nutritionist route, contact your doctor and find out if it is okay to exercise at the level you have been while only taking in 1200 calories.