Super Tight!

OK, so on March 9th I got 1 more CC so now I have a total of 2.5. I was tight before, but this week (after TOM, I might add) OMG I am so tight I don't know what to do! Yesterday, I was so hungry and could not keep much of anything down! I started as usual with my coffee and it was fighting me, it took me about an hour to drink one cup and I was constantly microwaving it! A couple hours later, I tried one of my muscle milk premades and it was 10X's worse than the coffee, so I only drank about 3 oz. Then about 3 pm, my husband wanted a Taco Salad so he goes up to our favorite place and gets me a side of refried beans. The first bite felt tight, second bite, I started sliming! 2 hours later I was able to heat up a Soup at hand by Campbells, Creamy Chicken and got the entire can down by sipping. Then a few hours after that, I try a jello pudding snack....PB'd for 45 minutes. Water hurts going down, but it doesnt come back up. At this point, it looks like I am going to be living on Creamy Chicken in the can! I am going to try another protein shake for breakfast. BUT, I was so miserable yesterday that I neglected my body. I did not have enough water or fluids for that matter because everything was painful going down. I see after yesterday how people can become dehydrated & sick!

I do not want to get an unfill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can eat soup and shakes for awhile I am going to. Sitting on 2 1/2 months and NO weight loss. I am working my butt off too, sometimes the scale doesn't make sense. GRRRRR!!! But, on a positive note, I can tell the working out is changing my body and I am losing inches. :) AND it is looking FAT that sucks! If the fat goes away in inches rather than lbs for awhile so be it. I am staying focused with my workouts!

Anyway, just wanted to share what is going on with me! Today's focus is getting enough protein and water in me. Yesterday, I did not! I was able to get down my 8.5 ounce muscle milk this morning, it took me a couple of hours. LOL

Taken Yesterday, 45 lbs gone. The last photos were at 35lbs gone.

MeApril409-1.jpgMarch3020092-1.jpg

Dana,

I know you have heard this all before and that you most likely do not want to hear it again. I cannot understand why you would tolerate being miserable like this and not even be losing any weight.

The information below is from another lapband doctor's site, it does not matter which one because ALL of them say pretty much the same thing.

" Too tight band

DO NOT eat on top of a band that is too tight. Get it unfilled soon. Too tight a band can lead to a band slip.

Too tight a Lap-band leads to weight gain

When the band is too tight you cannot tolerate meat or vegetables you need to have some fluid removed. You gain weight because you will always be hungry, and only eating soft foods, and never feel satisfied. If you cannot tolerate meat, or vegetables, then we strongly suggest you come in and get some fluid removed. It will make your life easier, and you can lose weight.

Lap-band slips

Band slips happen when you eat too much food against a tight band. Do not over eat. And if you vomit, do not eat for at least 24 hours after you vomit. If your band is too tight, have some fluid removed."

Not being able to drink water is a medical emergency.

I wish you the best and I hope you feel better soon.

Dawn

Dana,

I know you have heard this all before and that you most likely do not want to hear it again. I cannot understand why you would tolerate being miserable like this and not even be losing any weight.

The information below is from another lapband doctor's site, it does not matter which one because ALL of them say pretty much the same thing.

" Too tight band

DO NOT eat on top of a band that is too tight. Get it unfilled soon. Too tight a band can lead to a band slip.

Too tight a Lap-band leads to weight gain

When the band is too tight you cannot tolerate meat or vegetables you need to have some fluid removed. You gain weight because you will always be hungry, and only eating soft foods, and never feel satisfied. If you cannot tolerate meat, or vegetables, then we strongly suggest you come in and get some fluid removed. It will make your life easier, and you can lose weight.

Lap-band slips

Band slips happen when you eat too much food against a tight band. Do not over eat. And if you vomit, do not eat for at least 24 hours after you vomit. If your band is too tight, have some fluid removed."

Not being able to drink water is a medical emergency.

I wish you the best and I hope you feel better soon.

Dawn

Dawn~

I can tolerate meat and veggies, but not everyday. I specifically said my band has gotten tighter over this past week. I quoted my food for yesterday, I didnt tell you my meals for the past month since my fill. From what I have heard, the band tightens and there is no explanation some time. Other days it is loose, my experience has been both & from what I understand that is normal. I am not PB'ng and sliming every meal (like others I have read about).

But, thanks for your opinion. I do not think I need an unfill, today I had two bites of ground meat and was fine. So, you see bands are fickle. AND just to clarify, I got on the scale today and I have lost a few lbs. :)

DANA, I HAVE TO AGREE WITH DAWN, THIS ISN'T ANYWAY TO TRY AND LOSE WEIGHT, A WAY TO LIVE

MAKE THE BAND A LIFE PROJECT :D

I am living and this is a LIFE PROJECT. Sorry, but I have read these boards and I will know when I need an unfill. This is not it. Today is a new day, different day. You can't make an assumption on me and how I live with my band after me sharing ONE day of my struggles.

As you know, this happened to me last weekend too and I was planning on going for an unfill Thursday but by Monday afternoon I loosened right up...I think I irritated the area and took others advice to do liquids for a few days and if it didn't improve, to get the unfill- which worked. I've been eating like a "normal" person for almost a week now! Three small meals per day. No problems.

Sabrina:)

I JUST DON'T WANT ANYONE NEW ON THE BOARDS TO GET THE WRONG IMPRESSION THAT THIS IS WHAT THE BAND IS ABOUT.

2 BITES OF GROUND MEAT CAN'T BE A 1/3 OF WHAT YOU EAT BEFORE

BE SAFE

[/quote

Is it not realistic that your band is TIGHTER on some days than others? I KNOW I am not the only one who run into these days. Sorry, but this is what it IS about. Learning to eat a whole new way! Some days suck because you want to eat something and you can't. People are going to take too big of bites, not chew enough, and eat too fast and they are going to PB. All of this is what the band is about. AND regarding the 1/3 of what I used to eat, No, it wasn't, but you are also supposed to be on liquids for 24 hours after a PB, right? Maybe I shouldn't have had it at all. But, I felt OK & I wanted to see how I felt today eating, but I didnt want to eat too much.

If anyone reads this and wondering, it is not a cake walk!!! Most likely, you will experience something like this but that doesn't mean you run out the next day and get an unfill. Especially if you are keeping fluids down (and I got that from this forum). All of this is so worth it. My day yesterday is not an unusual day in the life of a bandster. Especially if you are on your third fill and trying to determine your sweet spot!

That's good to know Sabrina, I have talked to many people like you. They told me the same thing. I am sure it will loosen. :)

I'm sorry but no it’s not what it’s about. I wish you luck but I continue to see posts from you about being too tight, not being able to eat, not losing weight….. My question is: are you succeeding with your band? Are you losing the weight?

Being too tight will not only cause you to not lose the weight, it can cause the band to slip – and this can be very serious and since Pammie had a close friend who she watched this happen too, I believe that’s in the back of her mind. If you don't make it to Dr. Otiz in time, or something needs to be taken care of in the States, it can be very expensive. Not only that, but you just lost your band.

You've had many senior bandstars who have been successful try to coach and help between this post and others. It’s your decision, you own it - the success and the failures and as Doctor Phil says, "is it worken for you"?

It most be in one way or another.

I'm sorry but no it’s not what it’s about. I wish you luck but I continue to see posts from you about being too tight, not being able to eat, not losing weight….. My question is: are you succeeding with your band? Are you losing the weight?

Being too tight will not only cause you to not lose the weight, it can cause the band to slip – and this can be very serious and since Pammie had a close friend who she watched this happen too, I believe that’s in the back of her mind. If you don't make it to Dr. Otiz in time, or something needs to be taken care of in the States, it can be very expensive. Not only that, but you just lost your band.

You've had many senior bandstars who have been successful try to coach and help between this post and others. It’s your decision, you own it - the success and the failures and as Doctor Phil says, "is it worken for you"?

It most be in one way or another.

I have posted TWO times about being tight! Last week I was eating food during the freaking day!! Sometimes I think you SENIOR bandsters really forget what we go through at the begginning trying to find a sweet spot, especially since you have been unfilled. I dont need a coach, I have a Dr. in Dallas who Dr. Ortiz referred me too & for your information I communitcate with them consistently. To answer your question, HECK YES I am succeeding with my band I was down 48 lbs this morning & I am dang proud of that! I work out with a trainer twice a week and am on my elliptical for 45 minutes aday. Get off your high horse.

Dana - here is some info

Anterior slippage is where the front of the stomach slips up though the band. We try to prevent this by suturing the stomach below the Band to the stomach above the Band, “locking” the Band in place in the right spot. In spite of this, slippage still occurs. It can happen for two reason, one because the surgeon haven’t placed enough stitches, or they haven’t been placed in the right place or secondly slippage can also occur if patients eat too much and vomits frequently.

Posterior slippage was more commonly seen when the Gastric Banding was placed by the “perigastric” technique. With this technique the back side of the stomach was free to slide up through the Band. Now a days surgeons use the “pars flaccida” technique, which was developed to prevent this form of slippage, and has more or less eliminated the incidence of this problem.

Is Lap Band Slippage Rare or Common?

Unfortunately, at this time there’s not much data on the frequency (or rarity) of Lap Band slippage in post-surgery patients.

Here is some more great information (again)

EMERGENT/URGENT BAND PROBLEMS

What is the difference between Emergent, Urgent and Normal band problems?

EMERGENT: Harsh vomiting (different than pb’ing), unable to swallow saliva or any fluid. You need to go to the Emergency Room and have them give you an IV to hydrate you. You need to tell them you have a lap band and need to have a fluoroscopy to see if it has slipped or you are closed off due to swelling. You need to take your surgeons phone number with you so they can call and talk to him.

Dehydration: symptoms include dizziness, low blood pressure, disorientation, not able to make decisions appropriately. If someone else thinks you are in need help, you probably are because you are too ill to make that decision. It takes more than 24 hours to become dehydrated.

URGENT: When you have frequent throwing up 3-4 or more times per week, you need to be seen by your fill clinic to get a bit of saline removed. If you have heartburn or reflux, you need to be on over the counter Prilosec twice a day, possibly remove a bit of saline from your band. If you let it go on, you risk slippage of the band. After you have a bit taken out, stay on liquids for 1 week, mushy for 1 week, introduce solids slowly.

If your band slams shut after you have had a fill, you should return to your clinic for a bit of unfill. Don’t let it go on too long, you risk slipping your band and dehydration. This prevents and ER visit.

Normal Problems: You can’t eat solids in the morning. Try drinking something hot. This may open your band up and allow you to eat. If you can’t eat in the mornings, try going on liquids for 3 days, then start eating breakfast, larger lunch, smaller dinner. Sometimes this will reset your eating habits. If you just can’t eat in the morning, but can eat later in the day, go ahead and drink a protein drink in the morning to get your protein in. We normally say no liquid proteins, but once in awhile is ok. The whole process behind the band is to eat our protein in solid form, not liquids.

Pb’ing, yakking, tossing your cookies: Are you eating too fast? Not chewing enough? Taking too big a bite? Swallowing hot things too soon? Maybe you need to coat your meat with BBQ sauce or something to help it go down. Try eating with a baby spoon to make sure you are taking smaller bites.

IF you have the flu: You should be fine, but if you are throwing up too much, some fluid out of you band would help. You can drink flat 7-up, gatoraid, apple juice, whatever, forget the calories, just stay hydrated.

WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR:

Get an unfill if you can’t swallow your spit.

Get an unfill if you can’t eat regular food.

Gen an unfill if you are having heartburn or reflux.

Call your doctor emergently if you are throwing up blood. You might have a tear or rupture in your esophagus. Be sure to tell them you have a band. They may think you have an abdominal problem. Not all problems are related to the band. Just make sure they have the information anyway.

Go to the ER if you haven’t been able to drink any liquids for 24 hours.

Call your surgeon with any concerns.

DO NOT LIVE WITH THROWING UP FOR MORE THAN A FEW DAYS. THE WEIGHT YOU ARE LOSING IS WATER, NOT FAT!

This is not the way to lose weight. You are depleting yourself of needed vitamins and nutrients your body needs to survive.

From my understanding from my Dr, there is a vast difference between PB'ing, Vomiting and just plain standing over a sink and sliming it back up if your band is being uncooperative for the day.

Go easy on yourself and remember, everyone is an expert ><'

This is a very good post, and this response is only for Dr. Ortiz patients – (Dana, don’t take it personally its not directed at you either) K

Remember one thing – if this person is from Washington, and their doctor is local – they are close to their doctor and may be able to wait.

When you have surgery in Mexico, you don’t have the luxury of getting yourself to that point. Read and follow Dr. Ortiz’s guidelines, that’s why we went to him in the first place and we know that its difficult to find a fill doctor locally, its most likely not easy to find one to help for the price that we would get from Dr. Ortiz would take care of us if we did something that caused a slipped band – the goal is to not get yourself in this situation or even close to it.

If you go down to the doctor’s corners – there’s a lot of great information. He’s our best expert and has more experience in this field that almost anyone else out there.

Best,

Lisa

Dana,

I know how frustrating it can be not to loose weight. I know you have been working really hard. I dont think anyone is replying to your post and trying to come down on you. They are only give you their opinion. Everyone is different and everyone has their thoughts of what will or will not work. I have been told time after time to eat 1200 calories a day, well I cant loose weight eating that many calories a day. I have to eat around 800-900 a day in order to loose. That is good for me, it is too hard for me to eat the 1200 calories. This is ONLY my opinion but I dont think drinking your meals is good for you. I do drink a shake in the mornings, yes I am tight as well. I do eat a little lunch (even if it is a couple of bits I eat and take very little bits and chew really well) Dinner I seam to be able to eat a little more. I did post a post about justw living and not obessing about your how much you loose fron day to day or week to week. This might not be for everyone but it has been the best advice I have received from a bandster of 2 years. She told me this about five weeks ago, I weighed around 223. I did go for my third fill three weeks ago this past friday and I weighed 221 by my scales and as of this morning I weigh 213. My fill doctor told me that shakes can be very fatting and to stay away from muscle milk, again everyone has different opionions, this is only something you might want to try. This is a life journey, one that you should be able to kick back and enjoy, hell almost take advantage of, not one that I myself want to be obessed with and I was becoming that person until I just stopped. I even went to Mickey D's the other day and was able to eat 2 and 1/2 chicken nuggests. I felt bad about it until I read the lable on them, they are really not that bad and for me only eating 2 and 1/2 ohhhhhh well. Dana I think we all are just wanting you to be ok and not get frustrated about this journey and OHMY GOSH I know it is hard. We are all here for ya, and if you need to vent, then vent, WE WILL ALWAYS BE HERE TO LISTEN, lord knows I have posted for vents!

Good Luck to you and again this was just some thoughts I thought I would share with you!

Carrie

I had my band tightened 10 DAYS AGO, it will be a year in Jun since the surgery. It is way to tight, my doc is at Oschner LA and I am in Ocean Springs MS hope a doctor here can take 2 cc of saline out because it was tight on last fill and bad nutrition now I can eat soft, drink only warm water very little, was in hospital 5 days ago for heart strain and extrem vomiting and acid reflux I just got out and now I have to find a dr here to remove the saline see how I do, I was doing pretty good until the last 2 fills, not eating just drinking a little protein. I have already lost 65 lbs and follow the diet and I im in heart cardo exercise and walking 1 - 3 miles a day and getting ready to ride hores to help get me back in sharp, for me no pain, no discomfort, no dumping and loosing stowly is much better, you will continu to loose it might take a little longer, walk realy help, pushing a baby carriage is great, walk with friends and hubby even is it is only 1 block and then keep going. I have heard the long it takes to loose weight longer it stays off. I will let you knw when I see the dr hopefully tomorrow. thank you for all your help. Linda :wub: ><'

OK, so on March 9th I got 1 more CC so now I have a total of 2.5. I was tight before, but this week (after TOM, I might add) OMG I am so tight I don't know what to do! Yesterday, I was so hungry and could not keep much of anything down! I started as usual with my coffee and it was fighting me, it took me about an hour to drink one cup and I was constantly microwaving it! A couple hours later, I tried one of my muscle milk premades and it was 10X's worse than the coffee, so I only drank about 3 oz. Then about 3 pm, my husband wanted a Taco Salad so he goes up to our favorite place and gets me a side of refried beans. The first bite felt tight, second bite, I started sliming! 2 hours later I was able to heat up a Soup at hand by Campbells, Creamy Chicken and got the entire can down by sipping. Then a few hours after that, I try a jello pudding snack....PB'd for 45 minutes. Water hurts going down, but it doesnt come back up. At this point, it looks like I am going to be living on Creamy Chicken in the can! I am going to try another protein shake for breakfast. BUT, I was so miserable yesterday that I neglected my body. I did not have enough water or fluids for that matter because everything was painful going down. I see after yesterday how people can become dehydrated & sick!

I do not want to get an unfill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can eat soup and shakes for awhile I am going to. Sitting on 2 1/2 months and NO weight loss. I am working my butt off too, sometimes the scale doesn't make sense. GRRRRR!!! But, on a positive note, I can tell the working out is changing my body and I am losing inches. :) AND it is looking FAT that sucks! If the fat goes away in inches rather than lbs for awhile so be it. I am staying focused with my workouts!

Anyway, just wanted to share what is going on with me! Today's focus is getting enough protein and water in me. Yesterday, I did not! I was able to get down my 8.5 ounce muscle milk this morning, it took me a couple of hours. LOL

Taken Yesterday, 45 lbs gone. The last photos were at 35lbs gone.

Hi Dana-

I hope you feel better soon. I have the same problem as you and my band super tightness all revolves around my period. The 10 days before I can eat normally and sometimes a lot and then the week after I'm really tight, just like you. I just wanted to say that you look fantastic!! Your face looks totally different--how much a difference 45 lbs. makes!

This is a very good post, and this response is only for Dr. Ortiz patients – (Dana, don’t take it personally its not directed at you either) K

Remember one thing – if this person is from Washington, and their doctor is local – they are close to their doctor and may be able to wait.

When you have surgery in Mexico, you don’t have the luxury of getting yourself to that point. Read and follow Dr. Ortiz’s guidelines, that’s why we went to him in the first place and we know that its difficult to find a fill doctor locally, its most likely not easy to find one to help for the price that we would get from Dr. Ortiz would take care of us if we did something that caused a slipped band – the goal is to not get yourself in this situation or even close to it.

If you go down to the doctor’s corners – there’s a lot of great information. He’s our best expert and has more experience in this field that almost anyone else out there.

Best,

Lisa

LOL....(you can be so pretentious)...

yes, I am an OCC patient, yes I had Dr. Ortiz do my surgery and yes, I have been in Dana's shoes.

Dana,

I know how frustrating it can be not to loose weight. I know you have been working really hard. I dont think anyone is replying to your post and trying to come down on you. They are only give you their opinion. Everyone is different and everyone has their thoughts of what will or will not work. I have been told time after time to eat 1200 calories a day, well I cant loose weight eating that many calories a day. I have to eat around 800-900 a day in order to loose. That is good for me, it is too hard for me to eat the 1200 calories. This is ONLY my opinion but I dont think drinking your meals is good for you. I do drink a shake in the mornings, yes I am tight as well. I do eat a little lunch (even if it is a couple of bits I eat and take very little bits and chew really well) Dinner I seam to be able to eat a little more. I did post a post about justw living and not obessing about your how much you loose fron day to day or week to week. This might not be for everyone but it has been the best advice I have received from a bandster of 2 years. She told me this about five weeks ago, I weighed around 223. I did go for my third fill three weeks ago this past friday and I weighed 221 by my scales and as of this morning I weigh 213. My fill doctor told me that shakes can be very fatting and to stay away from muscle milk, again everyone has different opionions, this is only something you might want to try. This is a life journey, one that you should be able to kick back and enjoy, hell almost take advantage of, not one that I myself want to be obessed with and I was becoming that person until I just stopped. I even went to Mickey D's the other day and was able to eat 2 and 1/2 chicken nuggests. I felt bad about it until I read the lable on them, they are really not that bad and for me only eating 2 and 1/2 ohhhhhh well. Dana I think we all are just wanting you to be ok and not get frustrated about this journey and OHMY GOSH I know it is hard. We are all here for ya, and if you need to vent, then vent, WE WILL ALWAYS BE HERE TO LISTEN, lord knows I have posted for vents!

Good Luck to you and again this was just some thoughts I thought I would share with you!

Carrie

Carrie,

I appreciate your sweet post of concern. This is what the site should be about. My problem is when people actually insinuate that I am not a successful bandster, or anyone else on the forum for that matter. People should post their opinions without being rude and making a person feel like crap. I have watched posts on this site for almost 7 months & people can be rude & know it all's. It is offensive & that is why people have left. People need to learn to be a little more tactful. I have talked to handfuls of people that feel the exact same way (who are on this forum now as well).

When you read a post like mine and it says I was tight yesterday and couldnt eat, don't assume I am like this 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Ask me some questions! Everyone is so quick to say, you need an un-fill, you arent healthy. Whatever. The band tightens sometimes with no rhyme or reason.

The band is for life & to act like I don't know that is nuts! I love my band & listen to my body.

I struggled my whole entire life, FAT! I failed every diet I went on because I gained the weight back plus some. I have lifetime memberships at Jenny Craig and LA Weight Loss. By now, I would have lost focus and started gaining. SO, am I successful? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took years for me to decide to do this because my Aunt (who I was very close to) died 2 days after gastric bypass. Not that lapband is anything like it, but it is a bariatric surgery & me & my family were freaked out.

FYI I use Muscle Milk Light, and the choc powder is only 90 calories, the premades are 160 & I am not having very many of those any more. (just when I really need the calories, like yesterday-plus they have been discontinued) But, you are right, regular Muscle Milk is laden with calories!

Anyway, bottom line: Don't make assumptions that people don't care or don't listen to their bodies. I am very intune with mine. I didn't have this surgery to not be successful!!

I had my band tightened 10 DAYS AGO, it will be a year in Jun since the surgery. It is way to tight, my doc is at Oschner LA and I am in Ocean Springs MS hope a doctor here can take 2 cc of saline out because it was tight on last fill and bad nutrition now I can eat soft, drink only warm water very little, was in hospital 5 days ago for heart strain and extrem vomiting and acid reflux I just got out and now I have to find a dr here to remove the saline see how I do, I was doing pretty good until the last 2 fills, not eating just drinking a little protein. I have already lost 65 lbs and follow the diet and I im in heart cardo exercise and walking 1 - 3 miles a day and getting ready to ride hores to help get me back in sharp, for me no pain, no discomfort, no dumping and loosing stowly is much better, you will continu to loose it might take a little longer, walk realy help, pushing a baby carriage is great, walk with friends and hubby even is it is only 1 block and then keep going. I have heard the long it takes to loose weight longer it stays off. I will let you knw when I see the dr hopefully tomorrow. thank you for all your help. Linda :wub: ><'

Linda, there's always new things we learn everyday from others, thanks for taking the time to post. I hope everything turns out OK for you - do come back and let us know how it went! We want to make sure you’ve been taken care of!

All the best,

Lisa

Dana, most of us are right there with you - and we're not trying to say you're not succeeding - we want to make sure you do!

Some have seen others that fail and hurt themselves, and you are very special - we don't want you doing anything that would hamper your success. It’s not easy to step up to you - you're a strong willed person and we know that and we get that we're going to get bonked back sometimes - but we care about you and want you to succeed so its worth the bonk back.

Take care and know that we get where you are and want you to reach you goals.

Hi Dana-

I hope you feel better soon. I have the same problem as you and my band super tightness all revolves around my period. The 10 days before I can eat normally and sometimes a lot and then the week after I'm really tight, just like you. I just wanted to say that you look fantastic!! Your face looks totally different--how much a difference 45 lbs. makes!

Oh wow! So glad to hear I am not the only one! Last week was my period and I was eating last week. Then wham all this happens yesterday! Fickle, Fickle! Thanks Anglea, you are too sweet! :) Hang in there & keep listening to your body!

Dana - here is some info

Anterior slippage is where the front of the stomach slips up though the band. We try to prevent this by suturing the stomach below the Band to the stomach above the Band, “locking” the Band in place in the right spot. In spite of this, slippage still occurs. It can happen for two reason, one because the surgeon haven’t placed enough stitches, or they haven’t been placed in the right place or secondly slippage can also occur if patients eat too much and vomits frequently.

Posterior slippage was more commonly seen when the Gastric Banding was placed by the “perigastric” technique. With this technique the back side of the stomach was free to slide up through the Band. Now a days surgeons use the “pars flaccida” technique, which was developed to prevent this form of slippage, and has more or less eliminated the incidence of this problem.

Is Lap Band Slippage Rare or Common?

Unfortunately, at this time there’s not much data on the frequency (or rarity) of Lap Band slippage in post-surgery patients.

Here is some more great information (again)

EMERGENT/URGENT BAND PROBLEMS

What is the difference between Emergent, Urgent and Normal band problems?

EMERGENT: Harsh vomiting (different than pb’ing), unable to swallow saliva or any fluid. You need to go to the Emergency Room and have them give you an IV to hydrate you. You need to tell them you have a lap band and need to have a fluoroscopy to see if it has slipped or you are closed off due to swelling. You need to take your surgeons phone number with you so they can call and talk to him.

Dehydration: symptoms include dizziness, low blood pressure, disorientation, not able to make decisions appropriately. If someone else thinks you are in need help, you probably are because you are too ill to make that decision. It takes more than 24 hours to become dehydrated.

URGENT: When you have frequent throwing up 3-4 or more times per week, you need to be seen by your fill clinic to get a bit of saline removed. If you have heartburn or reflux, you need to be on over the counter Prilosec twice a day, possibly remove a bit of saline from your band. If you let it go on, you risk slippage of the band. After you have a bit taken out, stay on liquids for 1 week, mushy for 1 week, introduce solids slowly.

If your band slams shut after you have had a fill, you should return to your clinic for a bit of unfill. Don’t let it go on too long, you risk slipping your band and dehydration. This prevents and ER visit.

Normal Problems: You can’t eat solids in the morning. Try drinking something hot. This may open your band up and allow you to eat. If you can’t eat in the mornings, try going on liquids for 3 days, then start eating breakfast, larger lunch, smaller dinner. Sometimes this will reset your eating habits. If you just can’t eat in the morning, but can eat later in the day, go ahead and drink a protein drink in the morning to get your protein in. We normally say no liquid proteins, but once in awhile is ok. The whole process behind the band is to eat our protein in solid form, not liquids.

Pb’ing, yakking, tossing your cookies: Are you eating too fast? Not chewing enough? Taking too big a bite? Swallowing hot things too soon? Maybe you need to coat your meat with BBQ sauce or something to help it go down. Try eating with a baby spoon to make sure you are taking smaller bites.

IF you have the flu: You should be fine, but if you are throwing up too much, some fluid out of you band would help. You can drink flat 7-up, gatoraid, apple juice, whatever, forget the calories, just stay hydrated.

WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR:

Get an unfill if you can’t swallow your spit.

Get an unfill if you can’t eat regular food.

Gen an unfill if you are having heartburn or reflux.

Call your doctor emergently if you are throwing up blood. You might have a tear or rupture in your esophagus. Be sure to tell them you have a band. They may think you have an abdominal problem. Not all problems are related to the band. Just make sure they have the information anyway.

Go to the ER if you haven’t been able to drink any liquids for 24 hours.

Call your surgeon with any concerns.

DO NOT LIVE WITH THROWING UP FOR MORE THAN A FEW DAYS. THE WEIGHT YOU ARE LOSING IS WATER, NOT FAT!

This is not the way to lose weight. You are depleting yourself of needed vitamins and nutrients your body needs to survive.

From my understanding from my Dr, there is a vast difference between PB'ing, Vomiting and just plain standing over a sink and sliming it back up if your band is being uncooperative for the day.

Go easy on yourself and remember, everyone is an expert ><'

Lisalaw you are a wealth of info I really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this and I will print this for future reference. I'm being banded on Monday 4/13 and knowing this stuff is very helpful. =D>

You are looking amazing! Not just the changes in your body but your faces just screams happiness!! So good job on sticking with your workout, that is the hardest part sometimes. I know it is frustrating not seeing the scale drop we seem to be sharing that right now, but all the hard work you have put in has paid off. Hopefully you will get a little relief here soon with the extreme restriction, but not too much haha! Good luck and hopefully everything will start moving soon.

Jacklyn

You are looking amazing! Not just the changes in your body but your faces just screams happiness!! So good job on sticking with your workout, that is the hardest part sometimes. I know it is frustrating not seeing the scale drop we seem to be sharing that right now, but all the hard work you have put in has paid off. Hopefully you will get a little relief here soon with the extreme restriction, but not too much haha! Good luck and hopefully everything will start moving soon.

Jacklyn

I was down a few more lbs, so I feel better. Thanks Jacklyn for the compliments, it means alot that someone can see that I am losing weight and working hard. :)

If anything, I learned when you are having a rough day and can't eat, don't come running to the forum because people automatically think you are living your life this way everyday of the week.

Like I said yesterday I was able to eat solids & I have eaten normal all day today, started with 1 egg turkey bacon for bfast & a small piece of meatloaf and small salad for lunch. For all the newbies, I agree that UN-Fills are necessary but that decision should not be made after having one rough day. Especially if it is not affecting your breathing, sleeping etc. None of that was happening and I was able to drink my protein shakes. Saturday was the day after TOM for me, and I have been under a lot of stress lately caring for my sick Father. So, who knows, I had a fickle day & stress and lifes circumstances have been known to tighten your band in some cases. Actually, when my Dad was in the hospital in December (before I EVER even had a fill) the same thing happened. Again, who knows why, but it is reality that we deal with.

For those of you that were kind enough to email me personally about your experiences, thank you. I now know I am not alone & more people have gone through this.