One year Bandiversary

Tomorrow, April 8, will be my one year bandiversary. I've thought of several things to share with those considering a band journey, those who are in the middle of a band journey, and those who've gone before me and are living a new life.

1) As of this morning, I have lost 58 pounds. Not exactly my goal after a year, but I've not pushed myself. I drink my sweetened tea with lemonade mixture instead of water. I eat what I want to eat (including ice cream if i want to) when i want to eat it. This is as close to a normal routine for me, and the success I've done so far I attribute to this method (for ME). Another person in my building (job) had a local doctor install his band, and he is yo-yo-ing with his weight because of calorie restrictions by his doctor. He lost a lot quickly, now that he can eat more foods, he is overeating. My way works for me, and is working well.

2) I had a couple of complications. Lisa advised me, and her words were golden. For more than two months, I was not able to eat without some type of PB, sliming or other reaction (many of them violent). I did not get an unfill. I see no practical purpose for paying out the wazoo for a fluoro to get a fill, just to pay again to have it removed, only to pay it again to have it filled back. That is MY belief, contrary to how others may feel, but that is ok. This issue straightened itself out, and techincally I consider my weight loss over a ninth month period so far - I'm not counting those three months because I had to eat high calorie foods in order to keep energy. The end thought was that my band area was severely agitated and I may have had a portion of the stomach move up into the band area. This is highly possible, and since that time, have had very few issues.

3) My normal meal these days is to find out what is to split a plate with someone. I love soups, and my favorite meal is a bowl of soup and a half-dozen chicken wings. That usually fills me up to the point of feeling almost stuffed.

4) Breads and cakes still cause me grief. I can handle soft breads in small quantities (little bites) but cakes and I don't get along well at all. Colas are another sacrifice. On this night one year ago, I had my last soft drink at the Lucerna. I've not had one since, and honestly, don't miss them as bad as i thought i would. I do miss an occasional Mountain Dew at pizza time, or ball game time, but.... I love the scales much better than the colas.

5) Within 6 months of my surgery, knee pains subsided, and back pains were greatly relieved. I can run once more, and last night, at a ball game, i even had a triple.... that's my first one in YEARS... It felt great to NOT be limited by my size. My goal calls for me to lose 32 more pounds, and that should make life new for me. I don't have a model body like several of the gorgeous women who show their photos, but I'm loving all the compliments from people who havent seen me in a while. That is worth the price of the surgery ALONE.

6) I wish I could wind the clock backwards and have this surgery 20 years ago. It has made a significant change in my life, and how i view myself, and opportunities for ME to have a normal lifestyle. If you are a person contemplating lap band surgery, DO IT. DO IT ASAP. I have NO regrets other than 'I wish I had done it sooner'.

7) My experience with Dr. Ortiz: I was treated immaculately from day one until the day I left Tijuana. The staff at the surgical center were professional, courteous, and excellent to work with. The center itself was modern, extremely clean and sanitary, and comfortable.

8) My experience with fill doctors: several of the people who post here met together one Saturday. After we all had a fill, we went out to eat and had a great time getting to know each other off this board. Some of us even moved over to Facebook, and maintain contact there. I went to two fill locations; Atlanta (Darlene is wonderful, and does an excellent job) and Charlotte - Denver NC. the doctor there asked me if we "could be a little agressive to see how things go". I said "go for it!" and I am glad I did. I've maintained a slow loss since that day - MLK day '09. I suppose I could get another fill now, but I'm happy with the rate of loss and the limited adverse reactions.

9) I didn't follow the "rules" to the letter, and I did NOT have a band slippage. I did consider Wendy's chili a liquid soup more than a solid, and it saved me in times of distress. It tastes good, too! LOL! In the past when I posted this, I got all sorts of grief, but I was posting honestly about what *I* did to address my issues. There were days, early on, where the chili was HEAVENLY. I did not challenge the "rules"; I did not go out the first week after surgery and have a steak (oh yes... I WANTED to), I lived off puddings and jellos and clearer soups.

10) I only panicked once. One morning, less than a month after my surgery, I leaned over to dry my leg after showering and i felt as if my side were ripped in half - a severe stinging pain. I had stressed the port area, and I've had no problems with it, but that week after I first felt that pain... I thought I still had a scalpel in there - only when I bent over like that. I used the common sense approach. I didn't bend over like that much after that for a long time.

11) This board: There were times when I posted regularly for the first months after surgery. Personalities began to clash, and unfortunately a large number of my surgical-generation posters left. I often wonder how well those people are doing, and hope their lives have changed as much as mine has. It is tedious for us old-generation bandsters to see the same questions, discussions, comments and assistance coming up for a fourth or fifth time. There are thousands of topics started many years ago; a bit of organization by the board moderators/owners would maximize the efficiency of this board. New posters have the same questions, and if the topics were categorized, they could see that they were not alone with the issue they face, and STILL get support from the current posters.

12) The best benefit from the board for me was the support of friends. I see them seldomly now, but they were instrumental in my journey. Lisa, if you read this, you are truly a Godsend to me with your words of encouragement, support and strength. There are many more friends that helped me along each day. Get to know these people of YOUR band-generation, and share the journey TOGETHER.

13) I wish you all the strength and support for your journey that I've had during my first year. Three of us stood on the fountain and the Lucerna and did a "profile" shot where all of us show our tummies. I look at that photo occassionaly to see how big I was, and how much happier I am now. No, I won't put it on the refrigerator (I dont want anyone else to see it LOL), but i do look at it once in a while for a memory.

Take Care everyone, To those on Facebook, say hello once in a while!

Bill

Tomorrow, April 8, will be my one year bandiversary. I've thought of several things to share with those considering a band journey, those who are in the middle of a band journey, and those who've gone before me and are living a new life.

1) As of this morning, I have lost 58 pounds. Not exactly my goal after a year, but I've not pushed myself. I drink my sweetened tea with lemonade mixture instead of water. I eat what I want to eat (including ice cream if i want to) when i want to eat it. This is as close to a normal routine for me, and the success I've done so far I attribute to this method (for ME). Another person in my building (job) had a local doctor install his band, and he is yo-yo-ing with his weight because of calorie restrictions by his doctor. He lost a lot quickly, now that he can eat more foods, he is overeating. My way works for me, and is working well.

2) I had a couple of complications. Lisa advised me, and her words were golden. For more than two months, I was not able to eat without some type of PB, sliming or other reaction (many of them violent). I did not get an unfill. I see no practical purpose for paying out the wazoo for a fluoro to get a fill, just to pay again to have it removed, only to pay it again to have it filled back. That is MY belief, contrary to how others may feel, but that is ok. This issue straightened itself out, and techincally I consider my weight loss over a ninth month period so far - I'm not counting those three months because I had to eat high calorie foods in order to keep energy. The end thought was that my band area was severely agitated and I may have had a portion of the stomach move up into the band area. This is highly possible, and since that time, have had very few issues.

3) My normal meal these days is to find out what is to split a plate with someone. I love soups, and my favorite meal is a bowl of soup and a half-dozen chicken wings. That usually fills me up to the point of feeling almost stuffed.

4) Breads and cakes still cause me grief. I can handle soft breads in small quantities (little bites) but cakes and I don't get along well at all. Colas are another sacrifice. On this night one year ago, I had my last soft drink at the Lucerna. I've not had one since, and honestly, don't miss them as bad as i thought i would. I do miss an occasional Mountain Dew at pizza time, or ball game time, but.... I love the scales much better than the colas.

5) Within 6 months of my surgery, knee pains subsided, and back pains were greatly relieved. I can run once more, and last night, at a ball game, i even had a triple.... that's my first one in YEARS... It felt great to NOT be limited by my size. My goal calls for me to lose 32 more pounds, and that should make life new for me. I don't have a model body like several of the gorgeous women who show their photos, but I'm loving all the compliments from people who havent seen me in a while. That is worth the price of the surgery ALONE.

6) I wish I could wind the clock backwards and have this surgery 20 years ago. It has made a significant change in my life, and how i view myself, and opportunities for ME to have a normal lifestyle. If you are a person contemplating lap band surgery, DO IT. DO IT ASAP. I have NO regrets other than 'I wish I had done it sooner'.

7) My experience with Dr. Ortiz: I was treated immaculately from day one until the day I left Tijuana. The staff at the surgical center were professional, courteous, and excellent to work with. The center itself was modern, extremely clean and sanitary, and comfortable.

8) My experience with fill doctors: several of the people who post here met together one Saturday. After we all had a fill, we went out to eat and had a great time getting to know each other off this board. Some of us even moved over to Facebook, and maintain contact there. I went to two fill locations; Atlanta (Darlene is wonderful, and does an excellent job) and Charlotte - Denver NC. the doctor there asked me if we "could be a little agressive to see how things go". I said "go for it!" and I am glad I did. I've maintained a slow loss since that day - MLK day '09. I suppose I could get another fill now, but I'm happy with the rate of loss and the limited adverse reactions.

9) I didn't follow the "rules" to the letter, and I did NOT have a band slippage. I did consider Wendy's chili a liquid soup more than a solid, and it saved me in times of distress. It tastes good, too! LOL! In the past when I posted this, I got all sorts of grief, but I was posting honestly about what *I* did to address my issues. There were days, early on, where the chili was HEAVENLY. I did not challenge the "rules"; I did not go out the first week after surgery and have a steak (oh yes... I WANTED to), I lived off puddings and jellos and clearer soups.

10) I only panicked once. One morning, less than a month after my surgery, I leaned over to dry my leg after showering and i felt as if my side were ripped in half - a severe stinging pain. I had stressed the port area, and I've had no problems with it, but that week after I first felt that pain... I thought I still had a scalpel in there - only when I bent over like that. I used the common sense approach. I didn't bend over like that much after that for a long time.

11) This board: There were times when I posted regularly for the first months after surgery. Personalities began to clash, and unfortunately a large number of my surgical-generation posters left. I often wonder how well those people are doing, and hope their lives have changed as much as mine has. It is tedious for us old-generation bandsters to see the same questions, discussions, comments and assistance coming up for a fourth or fifth time. There are thousands of topics started many years ago; a bit of organization by the board moderators/owners would maximize the efficiency of this board. New posters have the same questions, and if the topics were categorized, they could see that they were not alone with the issue they face, and STILL get support from the current posters.

12) The best benefit from the board for me was the support of friends. I see them seldomly now, but they were instrumental in my journey. Lisa, if you read this, you are truly a Godsend to me with your words of encouragement, support and strength. There are many more friends that helped me along each day. Get to know these people of YOUR band-generation, and share the journey TOGETHER.

13) I wish you all the strength and support for your journey that I've had during my first year. Three of us stood on the fountain and the Lucerna and did a "profile" shot where all of us show our tummies. I look at that photo occassionaly to see how big I was, and how much happier I am now. No, I won't put it on the refrigerator (I dont want anyone else to see it LOL), but i do look at it once in a while for a memory.

Take Care everyone, To those on Facebook, say hello once in a while!

Bill

Bill,

What a sweet post.

Kimberly

Bill - excellent post! I like your outlook and honesty. It's nice to know that you have had great success and lived life.

I am going to be banded in a few weeks and feel ready! Now, I have to let the process play out. Looking forward to joining you in weight loss with the band.

BRAVO - CONGRATULATIONS- YAYYYY YOU !!!!

I just love your post Bill - as always simple & honest ;)

So now back to the subject .... Dawnie and I did not forget ... you're still due for a spanking B)

Luv ya big time (((HUGS)))

Ute

Bill, I am so proud of you and I miss you!

Congrats on your success - doing it your way is really the only way to go. We all support and learn from each other, and share in our successes!

That’s what’s so cool about this board! Keep up the hard work and make sure to keep checking in – I miss your fun posts!

I hope someday to meet you! You’re one of my heroes! (You helped me more than you'll ever know) and I'm glad I was able to help you as well!

Take care and don't forget about us!

Lisa

BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful surprise to hear from you. I miss you and your posts soooo much. You have done a wonderful job and you post is a good one. Informative and truthful. Just what we need!

I hope you post more often and I too, would love to see some of the oldsters back here. I miss the group from back then. But, you are right, there is always facebook.

((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

Oh yeah, don't you owe me some flirting?

Happy day for you Bill!! Your words are honest and always such an inspiration to me. I am at 10 months now and also have stopped posting as much. Just not enough time it seems. I do peek in and was glad to see this post on your special day.

Take care.

I do miss your great sense of humor and the fun we had months ago with you as a regular contributing member, you made me laugh more than just a few times!!!

Oh how have I missed you Bill. Glad you posted today. As of last week I also was at a stand still and since I got my fill on the 28th I am moving again, slowly but steady. Hope all is well with you and youre loved ones.

Definately the best post I have ever read on here! I was banded 2/11, and my friend is getting her band as we speak! I loved reading this board up to the last minute before my surgery, so I recommended it to her. Her experience was much different- a lot of negative posts and complaining- said the forum just "freaked her out". After jumping back on to see what she was talking about, I had to agree. It is so nice to have positive posts that look at the big picture of the journey we are on! I certainly have no regrets, and I doubt she will. I am a big beliver that life is 90% of how we react to the 10% that actually happens to us! Congrats on your success!

Happy day for you Bill!! Your words are honest and always such an inspiration to me. I am at 10 months now and also have stopped posting as much. Just not enough time it seems. I do peek in and was glad to see this post on your special day.

Take care.

I do miss your great sense of humor and the fun we had months ago with you as a regular contributing member, you made me laugh more than just a few times!!!

BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How the heck are you??????? Get on Facebook!

Will ><' ><' ><'

What a lovely post, I enjoyed it :) It's nice to see some of the old timers come out and post. You are doing fabulous!

I was going to post an update at my 1 year bandiversary but didn't do it.. :(

Hey you!!!! How are you? I was going to post on 'our' anniversary too but didn't. But I am finally up to 42 pounds off. Still slow as he!!, but I am still pushing ahead. You have done fatastic!!!!

Lisa, you're fab. No doubts here. Just awesomely fabulous. Maybe one day we can meet... that would be nice.

MONA! I'm on facebook every night. Where've you been hiding? It's been a while. Things are well, life is good, the summer vacation is six weeks away....... : )

Mindy... miss you!! How've you been, sweetie?

Ute... as for my spanking.... BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!! :D

Hello to you too, Julie! How is your progress going? It's been a while since I've seen you also!

Denise is going to upload some new photos so you all can see how skinny she is. Before long, they are going to let her start posing in swimsuit magazines.... she's looking good!!

sonogirl.. congrats on the first leg of your journey!! If your survived the three week post op, you're halfway home!! The rest of the mission is learning about sliming and PBs, and how to deal with them and move on. Sliming is a pain, just carry your napkin to the restroom "just in case" and in a few seconds, it's all over, and you're ready to go back. PBing is a little tougher, when your chest is about to explode... you'll think a little food-alien is trying to come out. Walk around for a few seconds, if that doesnt work to clear it, follow the sliming procedure by grabbing the napkin and heading to the restroom. It too, shall pass, and no little food-alien rips through. (It does feel like it once in a while, though) The smart bandsters THEN say... ok... did i eat too fast? did i chew it enough? was it in small enough pieces? What type of food was it?? (breads or cakes always make me do that unless i chew VERY SMALL pieces), etc.... LEARN from it. Bon chance, mon amie.... !!

Lisa, you're fab. No doubts here. Just awesomely fabulous. Maybe one day we can meet... that would be nice.

MONA! I'm on facebook every night. Where've you been hiding? It's been a while. Things are well, life is good, the summer vacation is six weeks away....... : )

Mindy... miss you!! How've you been, sweetie?

Ute... as for my spanking.... BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!! :D

Hello to you too, Julie! How is your progress going? It's been a while since I've seen you also!

Denise is going to upload some new photos so you all can see how skinny she is. Before long, they are going to let her start posing in swimsuit magazines.... she's looking good!!

sonogirl.. congrats on the first leg of your journey!! If your survived the three week post op, you're halfway home!! The rest of the mission is learning about sliming and PBs, and how to deal with them and move on. Sliming is a pain, just carry your napkin to the restroom "just in case" and in a few seconds, it's all over, and you're ready to go back. PBing is a little tougher, when your chest is about to explode... you'll think a little food-alien is trying to come out. Walk around for a few seconds, if that doesnt work to clear it, follow the sliming procedure by grabbing the napkin and heading to the restroom. It too, shall pass, and no little food-alien rips through. (It does feel like it once in a while, though) The smart bandsters THEN say... ok... did i eat too fast? did i chew it enough? was it in small enough pieces? What type of food was it?? (breads or cakes always make me do that unless i chew VERY SMALL pieces), etc.... LEARN from it. Bon chance, mon amie.... !!

I'm such a dork! I thought it would be cool to have a ton of friends on facebook and now that I do, there are too many to keep up with. So, I never seen anyone. Told you I was a dork!!!!!!

Now then, if you would go and join PetSociety, I'd come round and kiss you every night!

Bill,

Congrats, you are doing great!! I totally agree with your way of doing it. I believe the band is for us to eat small portions & not live like freaks and say no to everything. I am very happy with my loss and some may not like how I do it, but screw em! lol

Anyway, keep up the great work! OH....I experienced that stinging pain you described when I bent over 2 weeks ago (and I am almost 6 months out). It was awful, but the next day it was a little better, the next I felt nothing. WEIRD!!

Take Care!

XOXO

That stinging pain was AWFUL... I've had lots of injuries, but that one was something new.... and like you said, it disappeared shortly...

There is no way I'm going to deprive myself of tastes to lose weight, and then just add it back when I finally start "eating" again. I'm glad it's working for you, too!

That stinging pain was AWFUL... I've had lots of injuries, but that one was something new.... and like you said, it disappeared shortly...

There is no way I'm going to deprive myself of tastes to lose weight, and then just add it back when I finally start "eating" again. I'm glad it's working for you, too!

Thanks Bill! I don't deprive myself either, I do have treats, I just make sure I eat healthy most of the time. I normally have a treat on the weekend with my hubby. I am not losing as fast as some either. I am close to 50 lbs and I know others who have lost 20-30 lbs more than me that were banded the same week.

This is not a race, we have all the time we need. I spent my whole life on fad diets depriving myself & then, like you said gain it back later when I lost interest.

Thanks for being so positive! :)

Congratulations on all your success with the band and on your one year anniversaty. We all have to figure out what works for us and how the band will benefit each one of us. we are all different with different issues and I too had to figure out what worked for me. I remember that I had a chicken nugget on my 18th day of solids and I posted it to get support and I got a lot of grief and you know what if I didn't how food issues I wouldn't of needed the band, but today I say to all those who gave me grief over a chicken nugget look at me now. I lost all my weight plus more in 9 months and 3 week. So you keep doing what works for you and good luck on your weight and once again congratulations!!!! :D

Congratulations on all your success with the band and on your one year anniversaty. We all have to figure out what works for us and how the band will benefit each one of us. we are all different with different issues and I too had to figure out what worked for me. I remember that I had a chicken nugget on my 18th day of solids and I posted it to get support and I got a lot of grief and you know what if I didn't how food issues I wouldn't of needed the band, but today I say to all those who gave me grief over a chicken nugget look at me now. I lost all my weight plus more in 9 months and 3 week. So you keep doing what works for you and good luck on your weight and once again congratulations!!!! :D

Bigali - That sucks that you got grief and not the support you were seeking! I posted a pre-op diet whoa's post and got the opposite! Maybe members have learned/changed from the past? I don't know. It is a struggle for us foody's and I am so glad to hear you are ROCKIN the BAND! That is fricking awesome! Good thing this board is made up of all different types of personalities. We need to hear different perspectives. We are all alike, but different in our own style! I am going ot be getting my band on the 24th of this month!

Angie

IMO I THINK PEOPLE WERE VERY SUPPORTIVE. FOR THE MOST PART I THINK PEOPLE ARE HERE TO HELP :) CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE!!!

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?show...c=6840&st=0

the dynamic in this forum sometimes changes without a specific instance.

I would post about things *I* had done, and get scolded because they weren't what someone else thought I should do. Well, i needed support, not lectures; I needed confidence and encouragement, not criticisms. I dont think the people were necessarily rude on purpose; it's just that some people respond to different stimuli (soft tones vs yelling, positive statements vs fussing, etc) and we saw all types in here.

This goes back as long as a year and a half for me; and when people CONSIDERING the surgery saw all the issues, it may have scared some people off. I hope this generation of posters are positive to each other, supporting and not condemning, enthusiastic and praising.

Our journey with the band is a LIFE-LONG journey, and we walk together whether we post or not!!

Live well! eat smartly! And lose LOTS!!!

Bill

((((((((((((((((((((((((Will T)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hugs to you. Thank you for your post. I have not had my surgery yet and there are times I feel scared enough to call things off. Seeing your post was good because although there have been a few issues, you don't regret your decision.

I really needed to see this type of post tonight.