Reflux/Hiatal Hernia Surgery

Ronni

I had surgery (Nissen's Fundoplication) for reflux and hiatal hernia in 1998. Would this affect me from getting the lap band surgery since my stomach has already been altered?

Thanks in advance!

I was just banded on 3/30 and Dr. Ortiz fixed a hiatal hernia for me while in there for the banding. Looks as if there was a post earlier today where someone else had a fix like yours....surgery was much longer but he was banded.

I was just banded on 3/30 and Dr. Ortiz fixed a hiatal hernia for me while in there for the banding. Looks as if there was a post earlier today where someone else had a fix like yours....surgery was much longer but he was banded.

Thank you so much for your answer!

Hi Ronnie, a hiatel repair is pretty common procedure while getting the band. Getting rid of the reflux and being able to sleep through the night has been the best part of my surgery. I don't know if the repair is a Nissen's Fundoplication so it would be worth having a conversation with the OCC before you sign up.

I had surgery (Nissen's Fundoplication) for reflux and hiatal hernia in 1998. Would this affect me from getting the lap band surgery since my stomach has already been altered?

Thanks in advance!

I was banded on 3/27/09 and also had a hiatal hernia that was fixed while they were in banding me. Now I know why I would throw up at night about 3 times a week. Everything is great and I feel great!! B)

• 3 weeks later...

hi i am being banded on the 20th and really suffer from reflux, did yours go away and did you have to pay extra for the hiatal hernia

hi i am being banded on the 20th and really suffer from reflux, did yours go away and did you have to pay extra for the hiatal hernia

Yes...it totally went away and there was no extra charge at all. :D I was telling my husband last night that it is so nice to not be throwing up in the middle of the night anymore. No heartburn or anything. I had no idea that I even had it until they told me they fixed it while they were in banding me.

Good luck...you will love being banded and without your hiatal hernia. B)

• 4 weeks later...