Nervous Just thiunking

Ok I'm about to sign my paper work in the morning an schedule getting banded for May20th.

Last week when I finally made the decision I was so happy & all gun-ho. Now that it’s coming down to me signing papers and leaving a Deposit I’m all nervous and afraid of what could go wrong.

If I take too big of a bite and get stuck? then what about going for a fill here in states will there be a problem? Maybe there is something that I should know and haven’t been told or read about.. Did I ask all the question I should have?

Then there’s the fact that I go through a package of Zantac like they are candy, I So what kind of Gas will I have?

My emotions are so crazy right now.........

Don't mind me

thanks shiney42

Ok I'm about to sign my paper work in the morning an schedule getting banded for May20th.

Last week when I finally made the decision I was so happy & all gun-ho. Now that it’s coming down to me signing papers and leaving a Deposit I’m all nervous and afraid of what could go wrong.

If I take too big of a bite and get stuck? then what about going for a fill here in states will there be a problem? Maybe there is something that I should know and haven’t been told or read about.. Did I ask all the question I should have?

Then there’s the fact that I go through a package of Zantac like they are candy, I So what kind of Gas will I have?

My emotions are so crazy right now.........

Don't mind me

thanks shiney42

AFTERCARE IS VERY IMPORTANT. TALK WITH OTHERS IN YOUR AREA

KNOWING IS POWER

YOU'LL DO FINE, JUST KEEP READING :)

Hi Shiney, Congratulations on your upcoming band date. Of course you're nervous and thinking, "what the hell am I doing?" Guess what, most of us have been there. It's surgery after all, and just because we go down to Mexico, doesn't make it any less invasive. However, My 1 year anniversary date is 4/21 and like many people who have gone before us, the only regret was not having it done sooner. And when I think back on my visit to the OCC, it stll seems surreal!

You've made a very wise, educated and fully informed decision to make a life long life style change. You will WANT to be a conscientious participant with your new band. And that means being mindful of how you eat. Start practicing now taking small bites and chewing it 30 times. Obviously the food will go down with no problem but at least you'll get into the habit of eating differently. When you do drink (1 hour after eating) take small sips instead of chugging.

Everyone's body is different, after banding many people have no problem with the texture of food, just the amount they eat, while despite how small of a bite I take of hamburger patty, that food is a no-no for me. By eating smaller bites, you'll also know what you can tolerate. You can do this, you've come this far not to succeed.

As for getting a fill, Dr. Ren at NYU performs fill and I believe it is done under fluoro, which is a plus. I don't know of anyone else out in Long Island and I'm not sure if Fill Centers are anywhere near you. You should start calling around now, especially to make sure they would take a patient they didn't do surgery on. The doctor I use for my fills put a stop on taking on anymore Mexico banded patients not long after he accepted me. Good for me otherwise I would have had to go to Chicago for my fills.

As for the gas, I wouldn't say it was painful, just uncomfortable. I tried gas strips, but I don't think it made much of a difference. Walking is what helped the most and I made sure I did alot of it during the first week, even if it was just around my house on bad weather days. By the end of the first week, I was fine.

Keep reading the posts, keep asking your questions and maybe we will help alleviate some of the fears. One year ago today I was in your shoes, but I was oh so excited too!

Good Luck

bj

Shiney,

You will do great! Congrats on your decision! Ask your patient care coordinator for a list of Dr.'s in your area. In my city, there were Dr's who were not at Fill Centers but still took other patients. I would definitely look into after care, I called about 3 Dr.'s until I chose the one I am going to.

The feelings you are having are very normal and you will get past them. I will tell ya, I did not lear about real restriction until this last fill (#3). I have learned that the small bites I was taking with my 2 previous fills are just not small enough. It is a live and learn situation, but you will get past all of those and love your band. It has saved me on more than 1 occassion of eating what I didn't need to.

So, good luck to you and stay in touch with us!

XOXO

AFTERCARE IS VERY IMPORTANT. TALK WITH OTHERS IN YOUR AREA

KNOWING IS POWER

YOU'LL DO FINE, JUST KEEP READING :)

I haven't come across any people in my area. I'll look & see if I can find some people. I come on here nightly and read a bunch

Hi Shiney, Congratulations on your upcoming band date. Of course you're nervous and thinking, "what the hell am I doing?" Guess what, most of us have been there. It's surgery after all, and just because we go down to Mexico, doesn't make it any less invasive. However, My 1 year anniversary date is 4/21 and like many people who have gone before us, the only regret was not having it done sooner. And when I think back on my visit to the OCC, it stll seems surreal!

You've made a very wise, educated and fully informed decision to make a life long life style change. You will WANT to be a conscientious participant with your new band. And that means being mindful of how you eat. Start practicing now taking small bites and chewing it 30 times. Obviously the food will go down with no problem but at least you'll get into the habit of eating differently. When you do drink (1 hour after eating) take small sips instead of chugging.

Everyone's body is different, after banding many people have no problem with the texture of food, just the amount they eat, while despite how small of a bite I take of hamburger patty, that food is a no-no for me. By eating smaller bites, you'll also know what you can tolerate. You can do this, you've come this far not to succeed.

As for getting a fill, Dr. Ren at NYU performs fill and I believe it is done under fluoro, which is a plus. I don't know of anyone else out in Long Island and I'm not sure if Fill Centers are anywhere near you. You should start calling around now, especially to make sure they would take a patient they didn't do surgery on. The doctor I use for my fills put a stop on taking on anymore Mexico banded patients not long after he accepted me. Good for me otherwise I would have had to go to Chicago for my fills.

As for the gas, I wouldn't say it was painful, just uncomfortable. I tried gas strips, but I don't think it made much of a difference. Walking is what helped the most and I made sure I did alot of it during the first week, even if it was just around my house on bad weather days. By the end of the first week, I was fine.

Keep reading the posts, keep asking your questions and maybe we will help alleviate some of the fears. One year ago today I was in your shoes, but I was oh so excited too!

Good Luck

bj

Oh How'd ya know I'm such a Chugger of Coke...........But I already put in my head NO more Coke.

I wonder if the gas is like when you have a C-section? I had 2 of those and had to walk it off. Is there a reason why I keep reading many here use gas strips, & not something else?

Good Morning Dana

These PB's that I read about, Does the food come back up? or is it just a burp to make room?

Thank YOU!

shiney42

PB means productive burp. Sometimes you can get lucky and it will come up with just one. Other times, it might last an hour. It is nasty.

Good Luck

bj

I was just re-reading your post, And wanted to say Thank YOU, I guess I will have those butterflies until I get out of surgery May 20th........ :D

the nearest fill center is like 48 miles away in Hartford CT... ... Not good but it's do-able. I bet on the North Shore there's doctors! North Shore University Hospital Has tp have doctors, it's just if they will take me. So this Doc Ren, is who you go to? he's the one that doesn't take any new patients from Mexico?

Do you find that when doctors hear you went to TJ to get banded they freak? what is their reaction?

I was just re-reading your post, And wanted to say Thank YOU, I guess I will have those butterflies until I get out of surgery May 20th........ :D

the nearest fill center is like 48 miles away in Hartford CT... ... Not good but it's do-able. I bet on the North Shore there's doctors! North Shore University Hospital Has tp have doctors, it's just if they will take me. So this Doc Ren, is who you go to? he's the one that doesn't take any new patients from Mexico?

Do you find that when doctors hear you went to TJ to get banded they freak? what is their reaction?

I told my Dr. here in Dallas I was Dr. Ortiz patient, and his exact words (with a smile on his face). "Dr. Ortiz? He is a Hollywood Dr. I am just a nerd. Dr. Ortiz is a great Dr." I was so relieved! Dr. Ortiz also new of my Fill Dr. here in Dallas, he is one of the best surgeons around here. I feel that I am in great hands with both of them!!!!

I told my Dr. here in Dallas I was Dr. Ortiz patient, and his exact words (with a smile on his face). "Dr. Ortiz? He is a Hollywood Dr. I am just a nerd. Dr. Ortiz is a great Dr." I was so relieved! Dr. Ortiz also new of my Fill Dr. here in Dallas, he is one of the best surgeons around here. I feel that I am in great hands with both of them!!!!

Hello BD - And how are you today?

Today is a different day for me, A good day. I let the best of my nerves get to me the other night. I do know for sure this is for me. I have peace with my decision.

OK see you just enlighten be again. My mind frame was thinking OMGoodness When I tell people & my doctors I’m going to Mexico and letting a doctor do this to me, they will think I’m nuts, But If I tell them Doc O performed this procedure there is a good chance they may know or heard of him & I may not get that reaction

I am in a very strong mind set theses days. I mean Com’on it took me10 days of Severe withdrawal (NOT Fun) and another 2 weeks of the Chantix pills to break a 30 plus year, pack a day menthol smoking habit. And I know without a shadow of doubt I will never smoke again

So just like I used the Chantix I will use the band to help me have control over losing weight and keeping it off. Putting two bad habits in my

Rearview Mirror - he he he - I love Pearl Jam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfqzQKt9UeA

As of this afternoon all my paper work was faxed over mailed my DP and

my flight is for May 19th -

get Banded on the 20th

and leaving on the 23rd

taking an extra night........ :D

Thanks everyone

~muah~

Ditto to what everyone has said. Once I faxed my stuff I was like WTF!!!! :)

Also, if you call OCC they will give you a list of doctors in your area that will see you for aftercare. But call ASAP and do it. I called right away after I set my surgery and set an appt for 6 weeks out. It was good b/c my doctor takes about that long to get into.

Good luck! I read up so much in here and took so many notes by the time I got to OCC I felt so comfortable and was like OK...let's DO THIS! Had zero worries was just ready to get it done and get to losing.

Ditto to what everyone has said. Once I faxed my stuff I was like WTF!!!! :)

Also, if you call OCC they will give you a list of doctors in your area that will see you for aftercare. But call ASAP and do it. I called right away after I set my surgery and set an appt for 6 weeks out. It was good b/c my doctor takes about that long to get into.

Good luck! I read up so much in here and took so many notes by the time I got to OCC I felt so comfortable and was like OK...let's DO THIS! Had zero worries was just ready to get it done and get to losing.

I hear that!

Hello BD - And how are you today?

Today is a different day for me, A good day. I let the best of my nerves get to me the other night. I do know for sure this is for me. I have peace with my decision.

OK see you just enlighten be again. My mind frame was thinking OMGoodness When I tell people & my doctors I’m going to Mexico and letting a doctor do this to me, they will think I’m nuts, But If I tell them Doc O performed this procedure there is a good chance they may know or heard of him & I may not get that reaction

I am in a very strong mind set theses days. I mean Com’on it took me10 days of Severe withdrawal (NOT Fun) and another 2 weeks of the Chantix pills to break a 30 plus year, pack a day menthol smoking habit. And I know without a shadow of doubt I will never smoke again

So just like I used the Chantix I will use the band to help me have control over losing weight and keeping it off. Putting two bad habits in my

Rearview Mirror - he he he - I love Pearl Jam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfqzQKt9UeA

As of this afternoon all my paper work was faxed over mailed my DP and

my flight is for May 19th -

get Banded on the 20th

and leaving on the 23rd

taking an extra night........ :D

Thanks everyone

~muah~

You have a great attitude! Good for you, you don't need the cigarettes! :) Yes, the band is a great tool in helping you break life long habits! I love my band & you will too!

You have a great attitude! Good for you, you don't need the cigarettes! :) Yes, the band is a great tool in helping you break life long habits! I love my band & you will too!
Thanks I feel good and I'm so ready!

Now I just wonder how my

Patience will hold up, I’ve always been short on them!

Every time I'm in a store I grab something that I should bring with me

I picked up

a box Gas X - I On here I saw Gas X strips i don't know if i got the right ones

a 10 pack on those Crystal light to go packets and a small box of chicken bullion cubes...... :D

Oh I’m sooooooooo Loving this! Someone mention liquid Tylenol - I wonder - was that for pain or fever? Cause I’d have to drink half the bottle if it’s for pain, it doesn’t work for me

And online here it mentioned Gas X Strips... Now is that the same as what I got?

Oh I was thinking about the Optifast drinks I wonder if it has a nutrition label for me to read? I went there and took a peek around - Guess I’ll go back and see if I could find it

Thanks I feel good and I'm so ready!

Now I just wonder how my

Patience will hold up, I’ve always been short on them!

Every time I'm in a store I grab something that I should bring with me

I picked up

a box Gas X - I On here I saw Gas X strips i don't know if i got the right ones

a 10 pack on those Crystal light to go packets and a small box of chicken bullion cubes...... :D

Oh I’m sooooooooo Loving this! Someone mention liquid Tylenol - I wonder - was that for pain or fever? Cause I’d have to drink half the bottle if it’s for pain, it doesn’t work for me

And online here it mentioned Gas X Strips... Now is that the same as what I got?

Oh I was thinking about the Optifast drinks I wonder if it has a nutrition label for me to read? I went there and took a peek around - Guess I’ll go back and see if I could find it

Yes, the Gas X strips are correct. Also, they will give you pain pills at the OCC & an option to buy more. BUY MORE! Liquid tylenol does nothing for my pain, unless its a headache, thats about it. lol Might want to take a heating pad if you have room. Also, I would have pj's that open in the front (button) unless you just stay in the gown they give you. I stripped it off 15 minutes after I woke up and put on my pj's. Much more comfy! The button up top is easier dealing with an IV, etc.

Yes, the Gas X strips are correct. Also, they will give you pain pills at the OCC & an option to buy more. BUY MORE! Liquid tylenol does nothing for my pain, unless its a headache, thats about it. lol Might want to take a heating pad if you have room. Also, I would have pj's that open in the front (button) unless you just stay in the gown they give you. I stripped it off 15 minutes after I woke up and put on my pj's. Much more comfy! The button up top is easier dealing with an IV, etc.

thanks

I'll see if I find a box of the gas x strips, I have the chewables,

I'm thinking about those incission and how I don't want anything rubbing on them. even the sports bra,

besides the gas, when you get out of surgey how bloated are you

Hi Shiney -

I must be in your neck of the woods based on some of your posts. And just like you, I am at the VERY nervous stage thinking about going to Mexico to have this done. Was your decision to go to Dr. O based on finances, insurance, low BMI or all of the above? I live on the North Shore of LI and actually have an appt scheduled with NS Surgical (where I now see has a Dr. that does fills. Just not sure if it under flour...) However, in researching all of this, I am sure my insur won't cover me as my BMI is a 32. So even though at this point I still have that appt., I am beginning the process of considering the OCC - thus coming across your post.

I'm also curious to know if you are traveling with someone or going at it solo. Although I am married, my husband will be at home with the kids. So I have already enlisted the help of a friend who said they would go with me for support. (And IMO, will probably return if my trip is successful where I will do the same for them... Yes - I guess that makes me the Ginny pig!) Just a little more research for me to do (how big are the incisions? How long is the recovery once home?...etc.) and if this still looks like the right decision for me, then I'm probably off the Mexico within the next month or two!

interested to hear from you -

ksk

Someone who has always struggled with my weight and finally realized that I don't want to live with this demon anymore...

thanks

I'll see if I find a box of the gas x strips, I have the chewables,

I'm thinking about those incission and how I don't want anything rubbing on them. even the sports bra,

besides the gas, when you get out of surgey how bloated are you

I don't remember being bloated. I had minimal gas after surgery. It is the CO2 leaving your body. Sometimes it will be in your shoulder etc. But, I didn't have any of this. I believe alot of it has to do with getting up as soon as you can after surgery. I was walking 15 minutes after I woke up. I got a bra from lanebryant, that looks like a sports bra but really isnt. It was very comfortable the next day.

I don't remember being bloated. I had minimal gas after surgery. It is the CO2 leaving your body. Sometimes it will be in your shoulder etc. But, I didn't have any of this. I believe alot of it has to do with getting up as soon as you can after surgery. I was walking 15 minutes after I woke up. I got a bra from lanebryant, that looks like a sports bra but really isnt. It was very comfortable the next day.

Ohhhhhhhhh, See I'm thinking Gas = bloat. I most likely am thinking the procedure and post op is worse then it is. Which could be a good thing,

Making me breeze right through it all........

I wake up bad from anesthesia.... Nothing to cause any complications, more like nauseous, and needing a bucket type thing, and stuff like that

My belly was pretty pooched out after surgery, but it went down after about a week or so. Had me a nice little beer gut for a while, but it wasn't too bad. I had a bra that was cottony and just a hair loose and I wore that and was fine. by the time i went back to work I was back in my regular bras and just fine.

You will be so happy that you went first. Your friends will all be so jealous and will be chomping at the bit to get down there! I would love to escort any of my friends down there if they decide to do it. I can't afford to go back for aftercare but would love an excuse to go back and see the place and thank everyone!

Hi Shiney -

I must be in your neck of the woods based on some of your posts. And just like you, I am at the VERY nervous stage thinking about going to Mexico to have this done. Was your decision to go to Dr. O based on finances, insurance, low BMI or all of the above? I live on the North Shore of LI and actually have an appt scheduled with NS Surgical (where I now see has a Dr. that does fills. Just not sure if it under flour...) However, in researching all of this, I am sure my insur won't cover me as my BMI is a 32. So even though at this point I still have that appt., I am beginning the process of considering the OCC - thus coming across your post.

I'm also curious to know if you are traveling with someone or going at it solo. Although I am married, my husband will be at home with the kids. So I have already enlisted the help of a friend who said they would go with me for support. (And IMO, will probably return if my trip is successful where I will do the same for them... Yes - I guess that makes me the Ginny pig!) Just a little more research for me to do (how big are the incisions? How long is the recovery once home?...etc.) and if this still looks like the right decision for me, then I'm probably off the Mexico within the next month or two!

interested to hear from you -

ksk

Someone who has always struggled with my weight and finally realized that I don't want to live with this demon anymore...

Oh how lovely to come across another Long Islander ><' South Shore - Babie.... Nassau country transplant. OG - Queens, Ozone Park NY.

So what helped me make my decision. I googled Lap Band, and read & read everything I could find. Googled the cost knowing my insurance would Never cover it. And thought Oh well 12,000 If I had to I would do But I didn't know if I could do more then that. But see Doc O's name came up a few times, so I Googled him, I Was impressed - VERY impressed and got a price from OCC. I was LIKE Wow - even more impressed. So like you I kept reading & came here. The ladies are great here - they answer all my questions...

I will say this the few bad stories I've read about the Lap Band most of them were band here in the states Or not by Doc O..

So first it was

the Band( itself)

Doc O

& PRICE!

Also Jet blue out of JFK has direct flights and I paid 238. I plan on going back to OCC for my 6 week fill. I also feel if airfare is that price or less, then it just may - be worth it to go back to OCC for the fills.... OCC offers a package deal too.

If it's going to cost 400 - 600 for a fill here in NY Or I have to drive 50 miles by myself for a fill, at a USA Fill center that is less expensive - it just maybe easier to jump on the plane & also have peace of mind knowing that people who are well experienced will be taking care of me. So I'm really not worried about fills, here...

I am paying for a girlfriend to come with me & my boys are old enough that I could leave them. They attend Holy Trinity High School in Hicksville - They have 2 of the 4 days off while I’m gone. They can handle themselves. My husband owns his own business so the little guy could go to work for those days( actually earn a couple of days salary!)

Pm me if you want to talk more personal

shiney

Hi Shiney - I am from LI, too so I decided to hit you up with a hello!

In my situation, my decision to go for the surgery, getting the surgery date, finishing the pre-tests, and being approved by insurance went like a speeding train -- about 5 weeks!!! I had researched 24/7, attended seminars, read "gastric bypass for dummies", spoke with coworkers and friends who had WLS (mostly bypass), peppered the NUT and NP and physicians with questions -- and thought I was ready.

Then the night before the surgery I freaked out! OMG, what was I doing? How could I contemplate this wild action? I wanted to jump right off the crazy train! I would never eat again, I would have this foreign matter in my body blah blah blah

But despite those "wedding nite jitters" I got myself to the hospital, and the surgery could not have been easier or less painful. Immediately post op things were awesome. I am one week (exactly) post op.

I admit when I got home, though, physically I felt wiped out; like a truck hit me. It really took me a good four days post surgery to finally start to feel better. Gas really did not happen, except for yesterday the surgical gas (not stomach gas) hitting my left shoulder was like knives sticking in me. I walked a bit and it quieted down 99% and this morning there is nothing there.

I think it is very normal to question, and be nervous, and be hesitant. Those things do not mean getting the lap band is "not in your future". It just means you are normal!