Weight gain post liquid phase

DEC

Hi Everyone. I hate to rehash old topics but after many searches I still dont think I have a good understanding of what I should expect. I was banded 3/31/09 and started solids this week. I initally had a pretty significant weight loss on clear liquids which leveled off a bit on creamy liquids and is now going the other way on solids. As a "professional" dieter for the past 35 years I understand a lot about nutrition, exercise, and variations in weight during periods of near fasting (sustained execution of this knowledge is an entirely different matter..lol). So, I am not hugely suprised that I have been gaining almost a pound a day since begining solids and exercise again. I am curious however to hear how other faired during this time. I seem to be able to eat what I want as I am sure the swelling has subsided and I have little to no restriction, but have I have limited it to under a 1000 calories a day of low carb high protien food. I am walking 3 miles a day and doing a little weight training to slow the loss of muscle mass. Because I am in southern CA at my six week point I have scheduled my first fill for 5/11. The math (left brain analysis) says that this trend is unsustainable as my basal calorie needs far exceed my caloric intake,,,and although I know this, it is still hard to stay off that darn scale...lol! Anyway feedback from the more experiemced bandsters on this period of our journey would be appreciated...btw I love this forum! The experience shared and dedicated posting of many of you really helps me stay motivated and excited about this life changing event. Thank You!

Hi Everyone. I hate to rehash old topics but after many searches I still dont think I have a good understanding of what I should expect. I was banded 3/31/09 and started solids this week. I initally had a pretty significant weight loss on clear liquids which leveled off a bit on creamy liquids and is now going the other way on solids. As a "professional" dieter for the past 35 years I understand a lot about nutrition, exercise, and variations in weight during periods of near fasting (sustained execution of this knowledge is an entirely different matter..lol). So, I am not hugely suprised that I have been gaining almost a pound a day since begining solids and exercise again. I am curious however to hear how other faired during this time. I seem to be able to eat what I want as I am sure the swelling has subsided and I have little to no restriction, but have I have limited it to under a 1000 calories a day of low carb high protien food. I am walking 3 miles a day and doing a little weight training to slow the loss of muscle mass. Because I am in southern CA at my six week point I have scheduled my first fill for 5/11. The math (left brain analysis) says that this trend is unsustainable as my basal calorie needs far exceed my caloric intake,,,and although I know this, it is still hard to stay off that darn scale...lol! Anyway feedback from the more experiemced bandsters on this period of our journey would be appreciated...btw I love this forum! The experience shared and dedicated posting of many of you really helps me stay motivated and excited about this life changing event. Thank You!

I am not a more experienced bander..but I was banded right before you on March 27th. So, I can tell you what is going on with me. I lost 10-11 lbs in the first week and a half. Then I slowly stayed there but this week I have lost another 1 or 2lbs. I am definitely not walking as much as you are (good for you). :D I think I am just staying very busy running everywhere with my active kids. I think that is is a case by case situation. And, I know we need to stay away from the scales everyday but I just can't seem to not get on them every morning. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you and once we get the fill we will be on our way!!! :P

I understand your concern and frustration. I too lost most of my weight in the first two weeks of the liquid phase. When I started adding cream soups I actually gained a pound. I was very frustrated becasue I knew I wasn't taking in that many calories to gain weight. Once I started solids I actually started loosing again. Some days I felt bloated. I weighed myself every morning and this became frustrating because some days my weight would vary within 2-3 pounds. This stopped after the first month. I don't know what was going on but it was definitely strange. I am scheduled for my first fill on Saturday, April 25th, and I sure do need it. I haven't lost any weight in two weeks but I haven't gained any either. (this is good) I can eat almost everything. I have absolutely no restriction and my appitite is back to where it was before surgery. I'm very hungry in the evening hours. I'm new to this band but I do LOVE IT! I am very excited about getting my first fill and I'm looking forward in loosing more weight and inches.

One last note - with soups, take a look at the salt content- some have a lot and can cause you to retain water. (Especially MSG - I stay away from this or I'm gaining 5 pounds in one day) So if all of a sudden for no reason you just gain weight - you may just be retaining water due to something you ate.

I finally figured out that some of my ups and downs were from retaining water. And since we don't eat as much out bodies get really sensitive to what we put in them.

Drinking lots of water with fresh squeezed lemon really helps to keep your body flushed and keeps the pounds moving off. I buy a bag at Costco and squeeze a half of one into a big cup of water and drink it. (I do this a few times a day).

Best,

Lisa

One last note - with soups, take a look at the salt content- some have a lot and can cause you to retain water. (Especially MSG - I stay away from this or I'm gaining 5 pounds in one day) So if all of a sudden for no reason you just gain weight - you may just be retaining water due to something you ate.

I finally figured out that some of my ups and downs were from retaining water. And since we don't eat as much out bodies get really sensitive to what we put in them.

Drinking lots of water with fresh squeezed lemon really helps to keep your body flushed and keeps the pounds moving off. I buy a bag at Costco and squeeze a half of one into a big cup of water and drink it. (I do this a few times a day).

Best,

Lisa

Lisal - I do the same thing with lemons at costco! How funny is that! Great minds think alike.