Flu Outbreak in Mexio

I just received the following email message from the U.S. Consulate General Tijuana regarding a recent flu outbreak. It includes prevention tips from the Center for Disease Control.

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO

AS MANY AMERICAN CITIZENS AS POSSIBLE

Warden Message

Flu Outbreak in Mexico

U.S. Consulate General Tijuana advises that as a precaution, Mexican authorities closed all schools in the Federal District and in the State of Mexico on April 24, 2009, as the Mexican Secretariat of Health announced hundreds of cases of flu in the country, some of which may be the H1N1 strain of “swine flu”. Some other public institutions, such as museums and government offices, are also closed. Exact numbers of the people infected with the various strains of flu are unavailable. The U.S. Consulate General has no additional information about closures.

The U.S. Consulate General reminds U.S. citizens in Mexico that most cases of influenza are not “swine flu”; any specific questions or concerns about flu or other illnesses should be directed to a medical professional.

At this time the Mexican Secretariat of Health urges people to avoid large crowds, shaking hands, kissing people as a greeting, or using the subway. Maintaining a distance of at least six feet from other persons may decrease the risk of exposure. In addition, the following prevention tips are from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website:

1. Avoid close contact.

Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.

2. Stay home when you are sick.

If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.

3. Cover your mouth and nose.

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.

4. Clean your hands.

Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.

5. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.

6. Practice other good health habits.

Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.

For additional information, please consult the CDC website at www.cdc.gov, or the website of the World Health Organization at www.who.int. The U.S. Embassy will also post additional information as it becomes available on their website at: http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/citizen_services.html.

To contact U.S. Consulate General Tijuana

Call (52) (664) 622-74-00

To contact the U.S. Consular Agency in Cabo San Lucas

Call (52) (624) 143-35-66

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw that on the news, how scary. They said it has spread here to California and Texas area.

I'm actually a bit paranoid now because I just got back from there last week, and I now have come down with something. I don't know if it's a cold or flu yet, it's too early to tell. In any case, I'm staying at home until it's over, which I hope will be soon.

On a related note, I notice that since getting sick today, I'm ravenous! I've been doing really well with the new fill, with barely any hunger at times, and today I'm back to using willpower again. What's up with that?! I would have thought it would be the opposite when getting sick.

I'm actually a bit paranoid now because I just got back from there last week, and I now have come down with something. I don't know if it's a cold or flu yet, it's too early to tell. In any case, I'm staying at home until it's over, which I hope will be soon.

On a related note, I notice that since getting sick today, I'm ravenous! I've been doing really well with the new fill, with barely any hunger at times, and today I'm back to using willpower again. What's up with that?! I would have thought it would be the opposite when getting sick.

You said you went last week, the 15th and are just now feeling you may have come down with something..... I would think you picked up something stateside given the time frame. Keep us posted and hope you feel better

Hi all. I am glad someone is talking about this because I was just about to schedule surgery for sometime in the next 6 weeks and now I am wondering if I should hold off until this outbreak is over. Is the outbreak near Tijuana, and if so, do you think there is any way to avoid contact with anyone outside of the clinic personnel and patients?

Hi all. I am glad someone is talking about this because I was just about to schedule surgery for sometime in the next 6 weeks and now I am wondering if I should hold off until this outbreak is over. Is the outbreak near Tijuana, and if so, do you think there is any way to avoid contact with anyone outside of the clinic personnel and patients?

At this point, the CDC said "Americans need not avoid traveling to Mexico, as long as they take the usual precautions, such as frequent handwashing."

At this point, the CDC said "Americans need not avoid traveling to Mexico, as long as they take the usual precautions, such as frequent handwashing."

Exactly.. The virus is already here in the states. Frequent handwashing and extra precautions.

I'm in Southern California. From what I've read, there has been outbreaks in San Diego and Texas... the border cities. The most at this point have been in Mexico City.

I thought I would share a good article from Dr Marc Siegel.

DR. MARC SIEGEL: The Most Powerful Virus Is Fear Not Flu

With a new swine flu strain spreading among close to 1,000 people in Mexico and at least eight in the U.S., and with 61 reported deaths in Mexico, the most powerful virus pushing out its tentacles is not flu but fear. We are afraid of what we don’t know and what we don’t understand.

We hear about an unseen killer and we worry that we will be next. The best antidote for this kind of fear is the facts.

So let me take on the fear-laden terms. The first is pandemic. A pandemic means a new flu virus infecting people in several areas of the world at the same time. It can be mild, moderate, or severe. Everyone knows about the 1918 Blue Death that killed over 50 million people worldwide, but how many people realize that the last pandemic, in 1968, ameliorated by vaccines, antibiotics, and public health measures, killed only 32,000 in the U.S. and 700,000 worldwide, less than many yearly outbreaks.

The current swine flu outbreak is not a pandemic, as the outbreak is confined mainly to Mexico, but if it does become one, it is far more likely to be the 1968 variety because of modern public health measures and because we have been exposed to several parts of this virus before and have an immune memory to it.

Precautions like isolating sick people and use of the anti-virals Tamiflu and Relenza in order to decrease severity are wise precautions.

Wise too is closing schools in Mexico to prevent spread (schoolchildren are notorious flu spreaders), provided that this measure doesn’t send the world the wrong message that a massive pandemic is in the offing.

The second scare term is the pig itself. Pigs scare us. They are filthy noisy creatures. They are also loaded with flu viruses. This strain occurred because a bird virus mixed with at least one human virus and two pig viruses. Flus are changing all the time so a new strain

isn’t really a surprise.

We also need to be cautioned by the lessons of history. Back in 1976 an emerging swine flu virus appeared to be responsible for the death of a military recruit at Fort Dix (this later turned out to be erroneous), sparking a massive public hysteria fueled by Center for Disease Control press conferences.

I was reminded of this Friday when the CDC again spread fear about an emerging swine flu. We need to remember that fear causes people to take less precautions, but fighting contagions requires more precautions.

In 1976 Gerald Ford, trying for election, ordered 40 million vaccinations over a three to four month period of time, probably leading to almost 1,000 cases of ascending paralysis from the hastily made vaccine (Guillain Barre Syndrome) and driving most of the vaccine makers out of business. We certainly don’t need a repeat of this performance, in advance of any real worldwide threat.

Thirdly, we are also afraid because this disease is emerging in Mexico, a foreign land to the south over which we have no control. But fear of an unknown land doesn’t automatically translate to an American health risk. We are wise to have our scientists and public health officials tracking the outbreak, but we are not wise to anticipate the worst.

Like all flus, this one causes great fatigue, muscle aches, fevers, sore throat, nasal congestion, stomach upset, but is generally curable. The greatest risk is from secondary infections like pneumonia or ear infections, especially in the chronically ill. But in the U.S., if it spreads here, these problems are much more easily treated than in rural

Mexico.

We should be comforted by the time of the year. This is the end of the flu season, not the beginning. Flu viruses thrive in the low humidity of winter, not summer. It is very likely that this outbreak will die out automatically as the summer comes. It will remain necessary to track it because it could reappear in the fall, but it is very unlikely that it will erupt into a pandemic this summer.

I am glad that this outbreak is a swine rather than a bird flu, not because pig viruses are intrinsically safer than bird viruses, but because the greater lesson to guide us here comes from the 1976 pig hysteria, rather than from the 1918 bird flu plague.

Marc Siegel MD, an associate professor of medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center, is a FOX News Medical Contributor. He is the author of “Bird Flu; Everything You Need to Know About the Next Pandemic”, and “False Alarm; the Truth About the Epidemic of Fear.”

Hey Dan!

If you get this message, my work ( a news radio station) would love to talk to anybody travelling in Mexico right now (you don't have to say why you are there) just to get a feel for what the mood is, how people are reacting to this flu thing. etc. It's our top story today and to have someone "on the inside" would be fanatastic! If you can be reached on cell, let me know.

Sabrina:)

ps- Welcome to Band-Land!

St. Fran Prep High School, where the kids came back from Mexico (12?) Has Been Shut down for the next 2 days! I know the school VERY well And isn't far from me! My Boys Go to Cat. High school! This really isn't GOOD, And the news just said a case in my county has been found! I sure hope they clear this up soon! I would hate to get on a plane with recycled air

St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/nyregion...ml?ref=nyregion

As of Sunday evening, public health officials said that there were 20 confirmed cases in the United States and that they expected that number to rise.

But why are they dropping like flies in Mexico? do they Not have meds for it?

They said there are 80 or so deaths but only 22 so far confirmed from the swine flu. Of the 20 cases in the US, they are mild and have recovered. I'm not trying to down play this by any means but i do feel the media and our use of the internet blows things up before they happen. Keep in mind this is not considered a pandemic right now.

Remember...wash your hands.... it is key in helping to prevent the spread of any flu.

They said there are 80 or so deaths but only 22 so far confirmed from the swine flu. Of the 20 cases in the US, they are mild and have recovered. I'm not trying to down play this by any means but i do feel the media and our use of the internet blows things up before they happen. Keep in mind this is not considered a pandemic right now.

Remember...wash your hands.... it is key in helping to prevent the spread of any flu.

I can relate to what the media wants people to know and what they don't & the things they should blow up they don't.....

It is NOW officsail

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518076,00.html

EU Health Minister: Don't Travel to Mexico or U.S.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Print ShareThisMADRID — EU health officials urged Europeans on Monday to postpone nonessential travel to the United States and Mexico because of the swine flu virus, and Spanish health officials confirmed the first case outside North America.

China, Russia and Taiwan said it would quarantine visitors showing symptoms of the virus amid a surging global concern about a possible pandemic.

World stock markets fell as investors worried that the deadly outbreak could go global and derail any global economic recovery. Airlines took the brunt of the selling.

The virus was suspected in up to 103 deaths in Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak with more than 1,600 cases suspected, while 20 cases were confirmed in the United States and six in Canada.

In Luxembourg, European Union Health Commissioner Andorra Vassiliou urged Europeans to postpone nonessential travel to the United States and Mexico "unless it is very urgent for them."

A top German holiday tour operator said it was suspending charter flights to Mexico City.

"These are early days. It's quite clear that there is a potential for this virus to become a pandemic and threaten globally," World Health Organization spokesman Peter Cordingley told AP Television News.

"But we honestly don't know," he added. "We don't know enough yet about how this virus operates. More work needs to be done."

Spanish Health Minister Trinidad Jimenez said the country's first confirmed swine flu case was a young man in the town of Almansa who recently returned from Mexico for university studies and is responding well to treatment. Neither he nor any of the 20 other people under observation for the virus are in serious condition.

Three New Zealanders recently home from Mexico were suspected of having swine flu. Israel has put two people under observation, while France and Brazil have also reported suspected cases.

Cordingley singled out plane travel as an easy way the virus could spread, noting that the WHO estimates that up to 500,000 people are aboard planes at any time.

Governments in Asia — with potent memories of SARS and avian flu outbreaks — heeded the warning amid global fears of a pandemic.

Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Indonesia, and the Philippines dusted off thermal scanners used during the 2003 SARS crisis and were checking for signs of fever among passengers arriving at airports from North America. South Korea and Indonesia introduced similar screening.

In Malaysia, health workers in face masks took the temperatures of passengers as they arrived on a flight from Los Angeles.

Russia, Hong Kong and Taiwan said visitors returning from flu-affected areas with fevers would be quarantined.

Australian Health Minister Nicola Roxon said pilots on international flights would be required to file a report noting any flu-like symptoms among their passengers before being allowed to land in Australia.

China said anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms within two weeks of arrival had to report to authorities.

India will start screening people arriving from Mexico, the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Spain, Britain and France for flu-like symptoms, said Vineet Chawdhry, a top health ministry official. It also will contact people who have arrived in India from Mexico and other affected countries in the past 10 days to check for the symptoms, he said.

Some officials cautioned that the checks might not be enough.

The virus could move between people before any symptoms show up, said John Simon, a scientific adviser to Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection.

In Hong Kong, Thomas Tsang, controller for territory's Center for Health Protection, said the government and universities aim to develop a quick test for the new flu strain in a week or two that will return results in four to six hours, compared with existing tests that can take 2-3 days.

China and Russia banned imports of pork and pork products from Mexico and three U.S. states that have reported cases of swine flu, and other governments were increasing their screening of pork imports.

Indonesia — the country hardest hit by bird flu — said it was banning all pork imports to prevent swine fever infections.

Germany's largest tour operator, the Hannover-based TUI, suspended all charter flights to Mexico City through May 4. The suspension includes flights operated by TUI itself and also through companies 1-2 Fly, Airtours, Berge & Meer, Grebeco and L'tur.

TUI said other holiday trips to Mexico would continue to operate but would not make stops in Mexico City "for the next few weeks." Japan's largest tour agency, JTB Corp., suspended tours to Mexico at least through June 30.

At Madrid's Barajas International Airport, passengers arriving from Mexico on Monday were asked to fill out forms saying where they had been in Mexico, whether they had felt any cold symptoms and told to leave a contact address and phone number.

"Where we were, there was no real alarm but we followed what was happening on the news and we're a little bit worried," said Spaniard Filomeno Ruiz, back from vacation in Cancun.

Passengers were also given leaflets urging them to contact health authorities if they notice any symptoms in the 10 days following arrival.

In the baggage arrival area of the airport, ground crews and police could be seen wearing surgical face masks. Some travelers took precautionary measures even though they had not been in Mexico.

"Nobody has recommended it, but I've put the mask on out of precaution," said Roger Holmes of Britain, who was traveling to Tunisia from Madrid. "I'm not afraid, but it costs nothing to be careful."

New Zealand Health Minister Tony Ryall said two students and a parent among a group of 15 who just came back from a class trip to Mexico had mild flu and were being tested for swine flu. On Sunday, officials said nine students and one teacher from a separate group that also were in Mexico "likely" have swine flu.

All the New Zealand students and teachers along with their families had voluntarily quarantined themselves at home. Ryall said three small groups of returned travelers were being monitored after reporting flu symptoms following recent trips to North America. He gave no other details

http://news.cheapflights.com/airlines/2009...ico-travel.html

Health Officials Warn Against Mexico Travel

The swine flu outbreak has health officials around the world concerned as more cases of the flu are being discovered in the United States, Spain and France.

As we reported yesterday, airlines are offering to waive change fees for customers with booked flights to Mexico due to the influenza outbreak in Mexico. If you're currently planning travel to Mexico and want to change your flights or travel time, check with your airline to determine your options. In most cases, airlines will waive the change fee or offer a full credit toward another flight.

In the meantime, health officials continue to grow more concerned over the outbreak and are advising travelers to cancel Mexico travel plans.

Earlier today, EU Health Commissioner Andorra Vassiliou confirmed that the first case of wine flu was reported in Spain. According to MSNBC news sources, the Vassiliou urged Europeans to "postpone non-essential travel to the United States or Mexico due to swine flu."

Cheapflights reporters did a quick scan of airports around the U.S. and found that all customs and passport control centers are processing travelers into the U.S. however, some travelers may be questioned in detail on how they are feeling, and required to take a quick temperature test.

Oh and at that school 150 kids went home sick! That day and were not tested! so it is uncertain to just how many kids got it....

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/04/27/2009-04-27_swine_flu_school_gets_scrubbing.html

But parents and city officials report that, for the most part, the more than 150 students who've fallen ill are showing only mild symptoms

If one was to get it I'm sure a mild case is still something they wouldn't want to have...

I'm not due to fly down till May19th, But if I was flying down this week I wouldn't. The flight alone with recycled air - Is what I wouldn't like to put myself into.

State Department is saying NOT to travel to Mexico - I'm glad I still have time

I didnt see where the state department is saying not to travel. I saw the European Union is advising people to not travel to the US and Mexico. I agree a mild case is still something they wouldnt want to have. I know there is no border restrictions right now in California. It doesnt cost anything to be cautious. I cant stress it enough.. washing hands is a big part of preventing any infection.

Aargh. I've been planning for a fill on Thursday. I'm thinking I should reschedule.

Call down there. As far as I've read, the cases are in Mexico City, not Tijuana. Also wear a mask, it doesnt cost anything to be cautious and wash your hands.

I'm not nervous about anything, It's a simply decision to make- You Go Or You don't

The airlines are giving credit and wavering fees, No problem in being safe then sorry... For those that would care to change their dates

I think cause it has hit close to home for me I am watching it closely

I just received the following email message from the U.S. Consulate General Tijuana regarding a recent flu outbreak. It includes prevention tips from the Center for Disease Control.

I was just in TJ on Saturday for my first fill. It was fine. You didn't see anyone wearing masks or coughing. I just went to OCC and back, I didn't go shopping. OCC is so clean that you don't have to worry about the clinic. I wouln't worry or cancel any appointments.

Funny thing landing in SAN is more of a concern then TJ is. The recycled Air! On the plane & with cases now being reported in San Diego, that’s my concern. Not OCC

Plus NYC’S Mayor is holding a press conference any minute now with another 20 people confirmed with the Virus. It seems like NY is getting hit hard

It's just something that has to be watched, I think it also depends on where you are coming from, Which States and how you are getting down there

And I would not be going down to Mexico this week from NYC if I was schedule..... But that's just me........ Who the hell would want to come home band and puking the first week

I don't know - I'm not hysterical Or nervous, just posting whats on the news......... Like I said I guess it's all about where you come from. NY is reporting more cases, Having 150 kids going home sick in one day and a school getting closed for 2 days... Is NOTHING to take lightly