Worried about the trip into Tijuana on May 29th

Hey All. I have my surgery scheduled for Friday, May 29th in the a.m. I am not so much worried about the actual surgery itself but more so, the trip into Mexico and the violence that is currently going on over there. Can anyone tell me how safe they felt going into the city? My fiance and I are driving from Los Angeles and driving to San Diego to picked up at the last stop before the border and going straight to the hospital. Do we have to stop anywhere from the border to the hospital? Though I have frequented Baja annually up to 2007 for the last several years, I have never stopped in T.J. Especially because of this past weekend's news about those four Americans were were found murdered, I am so fearful that I literally want to get the surgery done and turn right around and go home! I know I sound paranoid but my family and friends are so against my decision to go and damn it, they have put the fear in me. I would appreciate anyone's feedback because I really want to do this.

Lea

Hey All. I have my surgery scheduled for Friday, May 29th in the a.m. I am not so much worried about the actual surgery itself but more so, the trip into Mexico and the violence that is currently going on over there. Can anyone tell me how safe they felt going into the city? My fiance and I are driving from Los Angeles and driving to San Diego to picked up at the last stop before the border and going straight to the hospital. Do we have to stop anywhere from the border to the hospital? Though I have frequented Baja annually up to 2007 for the last several years, I have never stopped in T.J. Especially because of this past weekend's news about those four Americans were were found murdered, I am so fearful that I literally want to get the surgery done and turn right around and go home! I know I sound paranoid but my family and friends are so against my decision to go and damn it, they have put the fear in me. I would appreciate anyone's feedback because I really want to do this.

Lea

Please remember, the 4 americans that were killed were involved with the drug gangs. Most of the trouble there is drug and gang related. I've been there 4 times now, the last time this past february and I have felt very safe. Just stay at the hotel and you will be fine. If you do go out, just make sure to be back at the hotel before dark and stick to the main roads.

Please remember, the 4 americans that were killed were involved with the drug gangs. Most of the trouble there is drug and gang related. I've been there 4 times now, the last time this past february and I have felt very safe. Just stay at the hotel and you will be fine. If you do go out, just make sure to be back at the hotel before dark and stick to the main roads.

I completely agree!!! My husband was there April 6th. No problems. He even shopped on Revolution Ave. The OCC is very safe. You will be shuttled everywhere else. Stay in the hotel the entire time if you are uncomfortable with walking the city. I would go back again with no hesitations.

Use common sense and you will be fine.

The OCC and hotels are very safe. I am traveling down on May 30 for my second fill, and I'm traveling alone. I was there about a month ago and again I traveled alone. I felt very safe and had no problems. Don't let anyone scare you, if they haven't been to the OCC and the area then they shouldn't tell you that it is unsafe. Anything can happen anywhere.

Do a search of this and you will find several threads about this and in every one you will hear nothing but positives. No worries, just be smart about where you go just like you would in a major city and you will be fine.

I'm from San Diego and was there getting a fill on Saturday. No problems at all. Everything is so close to the border that you shouldn't have a problem. When I was banded in February, my husband and I went straight to the hotel and straight to the OCC. We didn't venture out because we didn't want to worry about anything. We had no problems at all. Good luck.

Lea

I HAVE BEEN SEVERAL TIMES AND I ALWAYS FEEL 100% SAFE. I EVEN WALK AROUND ON BACK ROADS SHOPPING WHERE YOU DONT SEE TO MANY BLONDES, AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER.... FUNNY STORY THOUGH MY SISTER WHO IS A LITTLE PARANOID AS IT IS, WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS WHEN WE CAME OUT OF THE OCC AND A TAXI (WHO WE HAD SEEN ON THE BORDER ENTRANCE) WAS WAITING FOR US, HE SPOKE ENGLISH AND SAID HE WOULD TAKE US TO THE BORDER........ WELL HE TOOK A LITTLE DIFFERENT ROUTE THEN WE WERE USED TO AND MY SISTER WAS PINCHING MY ARM THE WHOLE RIDE, VERY FUNNY, WELL WHEN WE CAME TO A STOP AND MY SISTER TRIED TO MAKE A QUICK GET AWAY BUT HER DOOR HANDLE DID NOT WORK FROM THE INSIDE, AND SHE STARTS SCREAMING TO THE DRIVER, HEY WTF WHAT ARE YOU DOING TRYING TO KILL US, MEANWHILE I AM LMAO ALMOST CRYING IT WAS SOOOOOO FUNNY...... OK MAYBE YOU HAD TO BE THERE!!!!!!! ANYWAY GOOD LUCK AND DONT WORRY!

I was just in TJ from the 13th to the 17th. I went completely alone and everything was fine. I took a cab to go shopping at Plaza Rio on Saturday. The Plaza Rio Mall has gaurds every 100 feet with guns strapped across their chest. As long as you stay within the hotel or other mainstream public areas you will have NO problem. On the way to TJ I did not have to exit the van. The only time you need to get out of the OCC van is on the way BACK across the border. The driver lets you out at the border and you go through customs. Not a big deal because there are gaurds all over the place. You then have to walk a block up the street to a bank and wait for the the driver to pick you up. (We went through the Otay Mesa border (I think) because the main TJ border was backed up for over an hour). I wouldn't worry about much really. If you are worried stay within the confines of the hotel. It will have a resteraunt and everything else you need.

I understand your concerns, So much crap is going on there. Did you hear how all those guy got broken out of Jail!

ALL DRUG RELATED. I am going down by myself & My husband is buggin, but I don't plan on going out at night, I have NO plans on buying drugs, I won't be drinking. And just plan on relaxin around the hotel............ I feel totally fine with what & where I'm going and I know all about what is going on there.........

You have to be awear of your surounding and don't go anywhere - where you don't have to

I was just in TJ from the 13th to the 17th. I went completely alone and everything was fine. I took a cab to go shopping at Plaza Rio on Saturday. The Plaza Rio Mall has gaurds every 100 feet with guns strapped across their chest. As long as you stay within the hotel or other mainstream public areas you will have NO problem. On the way to TJ I did not have to exit the van. The only time you need to get out of the OCC van is on the way BACK across the border. The driver lets you out at the border and you go through customs. Not a big deal because there are gaurds all over the place. You then have to walk a block up the street to a bank and wait for the the driver to pick you up. (We went through the Otay Mesa border (I think) because the main TJ border was backed up for over an hour). I wouldn't worry about much really. If you are worried stay within the confines of the hotel. It will have a resteraunt and everything else you need.

Wow, guards at the mall? I never saw them there before so that is interesting. But, it is nice to know they are there for protection.

:P

Thank you all of you for calming my nerves! I want this so bad and I know it's gonna change my entire life. I'm 5ft. 1in. and 170 pounds and though I feel overweight, I'm considered obese and I am tired of feeling so bad about myself. I will keep you guys update and so excited to be part of a such a great group!

:P

Thank you all of you for calming my nerves! I want this so bad and I know it's gonna change my entire life. I'm 5ft. 1in. and 170 pounds and though I feel overweight, I'm considered obese and I am tired of feeling so bad about myself. I will keep you guys update and so excited to be part of a such a great group!

I came in tonight (Sunday) and was met at the SD airport. I drove down from LA where I lived and decided that it would be just as easy to park at airport and be picked up. Came right to the hotel, relaxed and not a problem or fear. Feel like I'm in any US city, except for the spanish subtitles on TV.

I'm even thinking about driving right to hotel for my fill in 6 weeks.

So much easier that I thought.

before the border and going straight to the hospital. Do we have to stop anywhere from the border to the hospital? NO, I did go to the market in the day time by myself and still felt safe

Though I have frequented Baja annually up to 2007 for the last several years, I have never stopped in T.J. Especially because of this past weekend's news about those four Americans were were found murdered,

I flew in right after that, & those 4 Americans went there looking to Party, Wanting to cop drugs, & Get high. They were found with Cocain in the systems, They went there with dangerous intentions, with the intent of meeting unsavory people. I felt totally safe cause I knew what I was going there for = surgery & to rest, Not to buy drugs & go out at night. You haven’t heard about the Marriott getting shot up? OR PEOPLE GETTING KILLED THERE Nothing like that.... I totally understand where you are coming from, I too was concerned But I Must say as long as you don’t plan on going out drinking & partying you have nothing to worry about

I am so fearful that I literally want to get the surgery done and turn right around and go home! I know I sound paranoid but my family and friends are so against my decision to go and damn it, they have put the fear in me. I would appreciate anyone's feedback because I really want to do this.

I got home yesterday. I was there from May 19th till the 23rd. And I can't say enough how safe I felt & unless my family has been there in the past week I couldn't listen to a word they said! Just for my own well being

Lea

I sure hope this give you some peace,

shiney42