HELP! Can't get rid of my sweet cravings!

arianna

I've always had a sweet tooth and my doctor warned me that the band would not work magic on getting rid of that. I measure my food portions and don't eat very much throughout the day, but by evening, I'm dying for something sweet. I'm trying I really am but it's such a battle. I even went out and bought the 100 calorie packs of York wafers, but here's the problem, I ate like 5 packs (a whopping 500 calories in one sitting). and for some reason, it had no trouble going down or making me nauseous or feeling full.

How do you know deal with the sweet cravings? I know that's why I haven't lost much weight with the band. It's not that I'm eating a lot, but ...it's a little of the SUGAR that's sabotaging my diet.

Arianna

I don't know if you like coffee but that is what I used to do to curb my sweet cravings. I add sugarfree syrups so that the coffee is very sweet. I would drink like 2 cups and I would feel satisfied or too full to eat anything. Maybe another option would be to choose a sweet that won't melt and go right through your band. Like......chocolate grahm crackers. I can't have ANY sweets in the house or else I will go hog wild. I guess another good thing to do is to just not buy them. I used to have a deal with my boyfriend. He would hide my keys from me if I started to look for chocolate or sweets. It's like a drug addiction with me. :blink:

I don't know if you like coffee but that is what I used to do to curb my sweet cravings. I add sugarfree syrups so that the coffee is very sweet. I would drink like 2 cups and I would feel satisfied or too full to eat anything. Maybe another option would be to choose a sweet that won't melt and go right through your band. Like......chocolate grahm crackers. I can't have ANY sweets in the house or else I will go hog wild. I guess another good thing to do is to just not buy them. I used to have a deal with my boyfriend. He would hide my keys from me if I started to look for chocolate or sweets. It's like a drug addiction with me. :blink:

Thanks for the advice. I am a huge coffee drinker and that's what keeps me going most of the day. it's at night when the cravings hit, but I'll try the sugarfree syrups. You're right, I should just stop buying sweets. Although let me tell you how desperate I was one day. I didn't have anything sweet in the house except for some dried cranberries. I put those in a bowl and mixed it with some stale chocolate chips that was in the pantry. LOL. oh and frozen coolwhip. I've also heard if you stop eating sugar for 14 days, the cravings do go away. let this be my first Day. Will let you know how it goes.

thanks again,

Arianna

Me Too!

Same problem. In the morning can't eat more than a couple bites of egg or something healthy. Lunch salad and fruit. Then about 4 p.m. start snacking on crap - few crackers, pretzels, yogurt than by night time overeating and buying the forbidden foods on the way home from work. End up having too many calories by bed time. Decided to try a change and focus on excercise. Walking & Curves. Hasn't offset the sweet cravings but at least I'm getting stronger. Its all a head thing thinking I need something extra after the healthy stuff.

I'm totally self sabatoging my band and can't believe I even do this after all I went thru to get it. I'm like you can't have the sweets around me at all. If its 1 cookie it turns into the whole package. Been struggling with this my whole life. I know how frustrating it is and have tried just about everything to break this bad habit. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the support.

Me Too!

Same problem. In the morning can't eat more than a couple bites of egg or something healthy. Lunch salad and fruit. Then about 4 p.m. start snacking on crap - few crackers, pretzels, yogurt than by night time overeating and buying the forbidden foods on the way home from work. End up having too many calories by bed time. Decided to try a change and focus on excercise. Walking & Curves. Hasn't offset the sweet cravings but at least I'm getting stronger. Its all a head thing thinking I need something extra after the healthy stuff.

I'm totally self sabatoging my band and can't believe I even do this after all I went thru to get it. I'm like you can't have the sweets around me at all. If its 1 cookie it turns into the whole package. Been struggling with this my whole life. I know how frustrating it is and have tried just about everything to break this bad habit. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the support.

oh good so it's not just me!!! I've been thinking about this and I've come to this conclusion. We have a food addiction, or to be more specific, a sugar addiction. as with any addictions (smoking, drinking, etc.) when someone's trying to quit, they cannot be around the stuff nor can they be in a situation where it might tempt them to revert to their old habits. so I think what we need to do is

1- don't keep any sweets in the house (and don't stop by the store to pick anything up after work either)

2- don't bake a cake and then test our will power and try not to eat it (I've done that. doesn't work)

3- right after dinner, get up and clear the table before dessert (or better yet, don't serve dessert)

4- when eating out, ask for the check immediately after the main meal before looking at the dessert menu

5- substitute the sweet stuff with fruit. I've tried strawberries with whipped cream or made a fruit salad with some shredded coconut and a few walnuts.

I know I need to do all of this. I guess writing it down makes it clearer gives me some ownership. we're in this together. Let's make a pact at least for this week to stay away from sugar. I, like you, am disappointed in myself that I'm cheating my band after all the money I spent and the recovery time I had to go through. in the end, i'm discovering, this whole eating thing is more mental and emotional than it is physical.

keep me posted on how you're doing.

Arianna

Arianna,

I agree with the Coffee, it almost kinda curbs my hunger as well. I DO NOT even buy the 100 calorie snack packs. They are very good and I also tempted to eat more than one pack, they go down TOO easy. I do consider them a slider food for me, so that is a NO NO food for me.

I have found that the Southbeach Diet Meal replacement bars, which are 180 calories with 12 grams of protein are my life savors! They are VERY sweet and the protein fills you up. I have one for a snack in the morning and in the afternoons if I am craving something sweet, it also helps me to get my calories in for the day. My fav is the Chocolate Carmel! YUM!

Good Luck!

Carrie

HI Arianna,

I am a chocolateholic! Since the band, I limit myself of how much I can have. Now, I've a mindset that I know I can have it, just in moderation. When I do protein shakes, it's chocolate and then I would mix in strawberry one day and the next time I would add peanut butter powder. To get a variety. I even use sweets as a 'reward'.

You should have sweets in your diet, as you body does crave it. Again, in moderation. That is why I, myself, plan weekly meals and post them on my calendar in my kitchen. This way my mind knows that I can have my certain craving, it's all ready 'planned' for me to have it.

Also, make sure you even out your protein intake throughout the whole day. At first, I was doing snacks 3 times a day, then down to 2 then down to one, over time. Now, I bag (in those wonderful snack-size ziplocks) my protein snacks, which I dubbed them as 'grab-bits' and when I get the urge, just grab it and eat that only.

Water is one of the best diversion to head hunger and those cravings. I now make it a rule before giving in to a 'craving', to drink a whole bottle of water and wait out 10 minutes! After than, if I still have the craving, then have it.

It depends how determine and how driven you are to lose the weight and to discipline yourself to have the sweets or other cravings. You've paid a heck amount for this band, so use it wisely!

Good luck...Jazzy!!

Arianna, i'm a chocoholic and i refuse to feel deprived. since i got banded in February, i've had bit of chocolate every day to keep the cravings at bay. i keep a good quality dark chocolate (i like Lindt) in my FREEZER and everyday when i get the urge, I break off a piece or two and let it warm up on my counter. i'll nibble on it while sipping a nice cup of green tea. it's a wonderful treat.

Here's my take from an ex choco, sweeto, chipo, anything bad for me holic....

Watch your carb intake - this can increase your cravings for sweets - proteins diminish them. (Your body is looking for a quick burst of energy). Proteins are a slow burning fuel that will keep much of the sweet tooth’s at bay. (And I’m one myself but have been able to cut them down). Cookies and chips are sliders your band unless it’s super tight can’t hold onto them, low calorie or not - you can just eat too many of the darn things.

I buy frozen mangos, cherries and blueberries at Trader Joes – really sweet – justifies my cravings and, bonus is good for me. I can only eat a small amount and even so they are low calorie. (I eat them frozen - they are my ice cream) Lots of vitamins in them - so double bonus. Read the ingredients on the snack pack - good luck pronouncing the words.... If I can’t pronounce and don’t know what it is – its not going in my body.

And the good dark chocolate is awesome - lots of antioxidants (I do that too)

Hi,

I went to my Lap Band support group and one woman was having this exact same problem! She was not losing weight and was really upset with herself. Her answer is a book by Judith Beck/ Learning to think like a thin person. She says that this book did it for her and now she has cured her sweet tooth and has been losing for the last few months!

Maybe this will help you too...good luck to you!

Thank you all for the great tips. I live in Kuwait and some of the products you describe aren't available here, although it's so much better now than a few years ago. haven't seen any protein shakes. Do the slimfast optima meal replacement shakes work the same? they've got a few flavors of those.

I did go out and buy sugar free hazelnut flavored coffee mate to add to my coffee. tried that yesterday and didn't have any sweets the whole day.

I do know that protein curbs the craving for sweets. I did Atkins a few years ago and after the induction phase, I didn't even reach for the sweets. Maybe it is the fact that the sweet stuff goes down so much easier than the healthy stuff. I'll definitely try the frozen fruit as well. found blueberries and strawberries. I so wish we had a Trader Joes' here. when I was in california, I lived on that stuff.

Will keep you posted on how it goes. I haven't lost anything the past couple of months and I know that this is the reason why. It's been pretty frustrating...but I'm to blame.

thanks again,

Arianna

I don't have a sweet tooth, but I do have a"salt-tooth", lol! I LOVE chips, popcorn, anything salty and crunchy. I've been struggling big time with this and after a few days in a row of munching away, I now know I need to throw it all away. I just don't have the willpower to have it in the house.

I don't know why I've been sabotaging myself lately. I keep playing these little games of "let's see how much I can get away with without gaining any weight" instead of getting back on track and getting that last 36 pounds off. I am SO close but my motivation is so low right now. I'm feeling SO complacent.

Setting mini-goals (like our earlier one of getting below 200) seems to help me stay focused so I am going to join you and start a "no junk for one week" plan starting NOW! I am sure I can do this one week at a time....and hopefully it's true that after two weeks the cravings will subside.

Sabrina:)

I don't have a sweet tooth, but I do have a"salt-tooth", lol! I LOVE chips, popcorn, anything salty and crunchy. I've been struggling big time with this and after a few days in a row of munching away, I now know I need to throw it all away. I just don't have the willpower to have it in the house.

I don't know why I've been sabotaging myself lately. I keep playing these little games of "let's see how much I can get away with without gaining any weight" instead of getting back on track and getting that last 36 pounds off. I am SO close but my motivation is so low right now. I'm feeling SO complacent.

Setting mini-goals (like our earlier one of getting below 200) seems to help me stay focused so I am going to join you and start a "no junk for one week" plan starting NOW! I am sure I can do this one week at a time....and hopefully it's true that after two weeks the cravings will subside.

Good for you Sabrina! How about this? We report back to each other by the end of each day and when either of us feels the need to "indulge" whether with something sweet or salty, log on and post what you're feeling at the moment. It's Saturday night right now so our week begins tomorrow. Yes Sunday is the beginning of our week (fri and sat is the weekend) so I'll start tomorrow. I don't think it's a matter of we're testing the band, I sometimes convince myself that because the band is there, what I eat is not going to affect me the same as before. My doctor has explained this to me several times.

The band is a device...it's to assist you...not do it for you. We can eat EVERYTHING but that doesn't mean we should. He gave me an example of how one of his patients was so proud that he was able to eat a BIG MAC. LOL. that should not be considered an accomplishment with the band.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have lost a lot of weight. You just need to refocus and yes we need to set small goals. so the first one is NO JUNK FOR THIS WEEK.

Arianna

Just checking in to report on my seven day no-junk plan! I was good every day except day three- that was my cheat day, although it wasn'ta big cheat. Regardless, my weight hasn't moved this week. I usually go days and days without a loss and then suddenly drop four or five pounds- I'm hoping that will happen soon! How is everybody else?

Just checking in to report on my seven day no-junk plan! I was good every day except day three- that was my cheat day, although it wasn'ta big cheat. Regardless, my weight hasn't moved this week. I usually go days and days without a loss and then suddenly drop four or five pounds- I'm hoping that will happen soon! How is everybody else?

I haven't done too bad either but that's only because I have not kept anything sweet in the house. Today was my cheat day. My kids have been bugging me to bake chocolate chip cookies for them. Of course, I had to try them but I did ok. I've had a total of 2...usually I would've inhaled 4 or 5 straight out of the oven. Scale hasn't moved either. This is the second month for me of no weight loss. I've got an appointment with my doctor this monday and I'll find out what's going on. I might need another fill. Let's just continue what we're doing and it's gotta happen.

Arianna

• 3 weeks later...
Arianna,

I agree with the Coffee, it almost kinda curbs my hunger as well. I DO NOT even buy the 100 calorie snack packs. They are very good and I also tempted to eat more than one pack, they go down TOO easy. I do consider them a slider food for me, so that is a NO NO food for me.

I have found that the Southbeach Diet Meal replacement bars, which are 180 calories with 12 grams of protein are my life savors! They are VERY sweet and the protein fills you up. I have one for a snack in the morning and in the afternoons if I am craving something sweet, it also helps me to get my calories in for the day. My fav is the Chocolate Carmel! YUM!

Good Luck!

Carrie

MMMMMM Carmel! YUM

I dont dring coffe but I have found I really like Home made soy milk. ANd put some of that coffee creamer and It is a great treat! God protien too!

oh good so it's not just me!!! I've been thinking about this and I've come to this conclusion. We have a food addiction, or to be more specific, a sugar addiction. as with any addictions (smoking, drinking, etc.) when someone's trying to quit, they cannot be around the stuff nor can they be in a situation where it might tempt them to revert to their old habits. so I think what we need to do is

1- don't keep any sweets in the house (and don't stop by the store to pick anything up after work either)

2- don't bake a cake and then test our will power and try not to eat it (I've done that. doesn't work)

3- right after dinner, get up and clear the table before dessert (or better yet, don't serve dessert)

4- when eating out, ask for the check immediately after the main meal before looking at the dessert menu

5- substitute the sweet stuff with fruit. I've tried strawberries with whipped cream or made a fruit salad with some shredded coconut and a few walnuts.

I know I need to do all of this. I guess writing it down makes it clearer gives me some ownership. we're in this together. Let's make a pact at least for this week to stay away from sugar. I, like you, am disappointed in myself that I'm cheating my band after all the money I spent and the recovery time I had to go through. in the end, i'm discovering, this whole eating thing is more mental and emotional than it is physical.

keep me posted on how you're doing.

Arianna

good ideas it is always those last bites that take me over the edge!