The Day After

((((((((((((((((((((Hugs Everyone))))))))))))))))))

Greetings from the Marriott. I was discharged today and I'll be flying home tomorrow. Last night was fun. Kind of like what it must feel like to be on a reality show meeting strangers for the first time. We hopped from room to room and took photos of everyone. We honestly had a very good time.

Today I was given a capri sun, a bottled water and some swanson low sodium chicken broth for breakfast. I was also given two cards. The first had my name on it, it specified I had a lapband, stated the bands unique number and the size 10cc. It had a cartoon picture on the front, and what I think was an xray of my stomach on the back.

Surgeries are not performed at the OCC on Saturday's...only fills, so if you want a picture with Dr. Ortiz, do it the day of your surgery if the day after is a Saturday.

I also received (or will receive) a card with my name and photo on it that will allow me to order off the kids menus in restaurants. I understand that it's still possible a restaurant won't honor the card, but it will still be nice to have.

The driver who took a group of us back to the Marriott was very kind. He let us stop at 3 different pharmacies on the way to the hotel. We purchased everything from more pain killers (the OCC gives you a box of 4 that are taken under the tongue) to other stuff that you can get over the counter here, but not at home.

Two weeks from the Marriott is a grocery store. We decided as a group to walk there. I purchased several flavored waters (4) like Crystal Lights, a few waters, broth cubes and we all purchased a spice called "Tajin" Classic. It's basically chilli's and limes. If it's sprinkled into the broth it turns up the volume a bit.

Oh....and my husband purchased tequilla. lol

My husband ate brunch inside of the hotel in our room. I ordered the chicken broth and an apple juice. I mixed my apple juice with about 4 onces of water and I'm still sipping on it. I didn't finish my broth. I'm honestly not hungry. In fact, I don't feel dizzy or light headed either.

My husband and I did go down to Revolutionary Avenue. We took a cab from the Marriott. The Marriott insisted we take a map, which I thought was currious, but I'm glad they did. When we took a cab back, we needed to point to the Marriott on the map to get back to the hotel.

I'm feeling pretty good. I was given a sleeping pill around 9 pm last night so I slept pretty well for me...I was up by 4 but that's not unusual for me.

When I got back to the hotel I took a nap for a few hours. I still feel a tightness in my stomach, kind of gassy. I'm walking to try to walk it off.

Somethings to keep your eyes open for on Revolutionary Avenue. On 4 corners there are adorable mules (that look like Zebras...heck maybe they were zebras, but they weren't black and white, they were more brown) and you could with your own camera, take a photo of the mule...ah donkey....zebra...whatever it was with you in it wearing a Mexican hat. There is a charge to have the guy take the picture using your own camera. My husband talked him down to $5.00 American for 4 shots. All really good shots.

There are a lot of silver jewlry, leather goods...etc. Decide how much you want to spend and barter, barter, barter. I wanted a purse but we ran out of money. lol

There are also puppets, and cute painted guitars...super cute. When I get a fill I want to come back for miracas (sp) and a painted pink guitar for my neice.

It was a really good day.

xo

Greetings from the Marriott. I was discharged today and I'll be flying home tomorrow. Last night was fun. Kind of like what it must feel like to be on a reality show meeting strangers for the first time. We hopped from room to room and took photos of everyone. We honestly had a very good time.

Today I was given a capri sun, a bottled water and some swanson low sodium chicken broth for breakfast. I was also given two cards. The first had my name on it, it specified I had a lapband, stated the bands unique number and the size 10cc. It had a cartoon picture on the front, and what I think was an xray of my stomach on the back.

Surgeries are not performed at the OCC on Saturday's...only fills, so if you want a picture with Dr. Ortiz, do it the day of your surgery if the day after is a Saturday.

I also received (or will receive) a card with my name and photo on it that will allow me to order off the kids menus in restaurants. I understand that it's still possible a restaurant won't honor the card, but it will still be nice to have.

The driver who took a group of us back to the Marriott was very kind. He let us stop at 3 different pharmacies on the way to the hotel. We purchased everything from more pain killers (the OCC gives you a box of 4 that are taken under the tongue) to other stuff that you can get over the counter here, but not at home.

Two weeks from the Marriott is a grocery store. We decided as a group to walk there. I purchased several flavored waters (4) like Crystal Lights, a few waters, broth cubes and we all purchased a spice called "Tajin" Classic. It's basically chilli's and limes. If it's sprinkled into the broth it turns up the volume a bit.

My husband ate brunch inside of the hotel in our room. I ordered the chicken broth and an apple juice. I mixed my apple juice with about 4 onces of water and I'm still sipping on it. I didn't finish my broth. I'm honestly not hungry. In fact, I don't feel dizzy or light headed either.

My husband and I did go down to Revolutionary Avenue. We took a cab from the Marriott. The Marriott insisted we take a map, which I thought was currious, but I'm glad they did. When we took a cab back, we needed to point to the Marriott on the map to get back to the hotel.

I'm feeling pretty good. I was given a sleeping pill around 9 pm last night so I slept pretty well for me...I was up by 4 but that's not unusual for me.

When I got back to the hotel I took a nap for a few hours. I still feel a tightness in my stomach, kind of gassy. I'm walking to try to walk it off.

Somethings to keep your eyes open for on Revolutionary Avenue. On 4 corners there are adorable mules (that look like Zebras...heck maybe they were zebras, but they weren't black and white, they were more brown) and you could with your own camera, take a photo of the mule...ah donkey....zebra...whatever it was with you in it wearing a Mexican hat. There is a charge to have the guy take the picture using your own camera. My husband talked him down to $5.00 American for 4 shots. All really good shots.

There are a lot of silver jewlry, leather goods...etc. Decide how much you want to spend and barter, barter, barter. I wanted a purse but we ran out of money. lol

There are also puppets, and cute painted guitars...super cute. When I get a fill I want to come back for miracas (sp) and a painted pink guitar for my neice.

xo

Glad it all went well. I had forgotten what that card was for. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm happy for both of you and glad it all went well. In the end, only you know what is good for you and your body. I went through the same thing...of friends trying to talk me out of it. and some even made me feel like I'm taking the easy way out and not willing to work hard at it. Trust me, even with the band, it's hard work.

keep us posted.

Arianna

Way to go!!! I am so happy for you. Enjoy the liquid phase it was actually easy. If you get bored we can all give you ideas to add little excitement. Now teo months post op seems to be the real learning part. Learning how to eat for the rest of my life.

We will see you in Frisco!!

Lori

hey Robb's It was fun meeting you

((((((((((((((((Shiney))))))))))))))))))

Hugs. How are you feeling? How was your flight? I wish I would have taken photos on Thursday night.

:(

Thank you so much for being so kind to me. You and Tracy made me feel at ease and I did much better Friday than I would have if I hadn't have met the two of you.

xo

How is Tracy doing?

Way to go!!! I am so happy for you. Enjoy the liquid phase it was actually easy. If you get bored we can all give you ideas to add little excitement. Now teo months post op seems to be the real learning part. Learning how to eat for the rest of my life.

We will see you in Frisco!!

Lori

(((((((((((((((((((Lori)))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you so much for your post. I'm keeping my head in check so far with the liquid phase but I'd love ideas. I really enjoy cooking so I plan to experiment, even if it's just with liquids until Friday.

Tonight I took a 2 qt sauce pan, 2 lipton tea bags, 2 small green apples (sliced), 2 packets of splenda, cinammon and nutmeg to a boil in two cups of water. I strained the mixture and ended up with a fresh, hot apple tea. Super yummy. I served it in an expresso coffee cup and took "princess sips". I think I ended up having 4 ounces...maybe 5 total. My expresso cups were filled with about 2 oz of liquid at a time.

Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with a hot mixture of grape juice and no pulp orange juice with some mulling spices (strained of course).

I'm also going to make a clear based leek soup tomorrow (strained). Next week when I can introduce milk, I'm going to play around with greek lemon soup recipes, garlic soup recipes and french onion recipes (all strained).

"Princess Servings..."

:)

I'm looking forward to moving to Frisco...I'm hoping to be there by August 1st!

Tonight I took a 2 qt sauce pan, 2 lipton tea bags, 2 small green apples (sliced), 2 packets of splenda, cinammon and nutmeg to a boil in two cups of water. I strained the mixture and ended up with a fresh, hot apple tea. Super yummy. I served it in an expresso coffee cup and took "princess sips". I think I ended up having 4 ounces...maybe 5 total. My expresso cups were filled with about 2 oz of liquid at a time.

Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with a hot mixture of grape juice and no pulp orange juice with some mulling spices (strained of course).

I'm also going to make a clear based leek soup tomorrow (strained). Next week when I can introduce milk, I'm going to play around with greek lemon soup recipes, garlic soup recipes and french onion recipes (all strained).

Something tells me there may be "Stages Of Eating With A Lap Band" cookbook in someone's future.

I have had really good luck using this card. I have only come across one restaurant in the KC area in which the waitress said I couldn't use it, but it wa a BBQ place, so I was super okay with ordering a regular entree and then eating the leftovers another 3 times. Burnt ends, cheesy corn and baked beans may not be a good bandster meal, but sometimes I am okay with breaking the rules.

I have had some servers say they don't know if I am allowed to use it or not, but that they won't be preventing me from ordering off of the children's menu, and the good news is that I can usually get at least 2 meals from a children's meal. Smorgasboards a.k.a. Gorgatoriums have been willing to charge me the children's rate as well.

Something tells me there may be "Stages Of Eating With A Lap Band" cookbook in someone's future.

(((((((((((((((Smiley))))))))))))))

Yep...I was trying to pitch a cook book to Dr. Ortiz before the surgery. lol

How are you feeling after your surgery?

Robbyn,

You have it going on. What a wonderful thing to do!! Sounds great. Perhaps you can give me a cooking class when you get here. Have fun watching the pounds melt away!!

Lori :D

(((((((((((((((((Lori))))))))))))))))))))

I love to cook. We'll definately get together and shrink together.

(((((((((((((((((Lori))))))))))))))))))))

I love to cook. We'll definately get together and shrink together.

Robbyn,

I have enjoyed your postings. I was banded 4/27/09. Looking forward to my first fill. I am trying to find the brand/name and size my lap band. I card I got has a sticker " S or 5? OBTECH" then a bunch of numbers and letters" I remember I think it was 10cc" What does your sticker say? Anyone else help me?. I have e-mailed OCC without a response. I am going to try and call today. I never did get a kids meal card....

I also don't know how to post a ticker etc.... :-?

D.

Robbyn,

I have enjoyed your postings. I was banded 4/27/09. Looking forward to my first fill. I am trying to find the brand/name and size my lap band. I card I got has a sticker " S or 5? OBTECH" then a bunch of numbers and letters" I remember I think it was 10cc" What does your sticker say? Anyone else help me?. I have e-mailed OCC without a response. I am going to try and call today. I never did get a kids meal card....

I also don't know how to post a ticker etc.... :-?

D.

(((((((((((((((Finally))))))))))))))

Hugs. Welcome to the banded. I believe the "10cc" (which is what mine says too) refers to the size of the band. I'll pm you about posting a ticker and I'll also send you what my card says. I haven't physically received my meal card either. They were delivered to the hotel, but I forgot to pick mine up. I've asked that a new one be sent to my home.

I know each lapband has a unique number, like a phone number or an ip address. Something to distinguish your band from anyone elses...that's what the number is I believe.

How are you doing now that you can have solid food?

Wow!

You're doing so well!

I was feeling so crappy the day after ... i slept all day long!

(and my boyfriend went golfing at the course behind the Marriott!)

I felt so crappy, but I'm starting to think it's because I didn't move much afterwards ... I felt so knocked out, and achy all over.

The only real walking I did after, was in the hallway at the hotel, and I didn't meet/talk to ANYONE who was having surgery on my day.

I wish I had! :)

I"m so happy you're going so freakin' good!

You'll be home before you know it!!

xo

(((((((((((((((Finally))))))))))))))

Hugs. Welcome to the banded. I believe the "10cc" (which is what mine says too) refers to the size of the band. I'll pm you about posting a ticker and I'll also send you what my card says. I haven't physically received my meal card either. They were delivered to the hotel, but I forgot to pick mine up. I've asked that a new one be sent to my home.

I know each lapband has a unique number, like a phone number or an ip address. Something to distinguish your band from anyone elses...that's what the number is I believe.

How are you doing now that you can have solid food?

Robbyn,

I am doing so so with solid foods, really don't have any restrictions so it is "being on a diet" If I could stay on a diet I don't think I would have had the band! Find myself still craving carbs. I am looking forward to my first fill. My plan is to get it June 2nd, if I can get the paper work finished (need the name/size) then I can mail it to the clinic where I am getting my fill. I still might go to TJ? Trying to save $.

I do feel less hungry, I am "practicing" chewing my food, taking a small bite and putting my fork down between bites!

How are your gourmet liquids?

(I am unable to exercise because I had foot surgery, can't wait till I get the OK to go back to my walking! <_< Not sure about lifting weights because of the band...my paperwork from OCC says no abdominal work for 3 months, and lifting weights uses abd muscles...I just use dumbbells, nothing to major!)

D.

I have had really good luck using this card. I have only come across one restaurant in the KC area in which the waitress said I couldn't use it, but it wa a BBQ place, so I was super okay with ordering a regular entree and then eating the leftovers another 3 times. Burnt ends, cheesy corn and baked beans may not be a good bandster meal, but sometimes I am okay with breaking the rules.

I have had some servers say they don't know if I am allowed to use it or not, but that they won't be preventing me from ordering off of the children's menu, and the good news is that I can usually get at least 2 meals from a children's meal. Smorgasboards a.k.a. Gorgatoriums have been willing to charge me the children's rate as well.

SMILEY,

You can get at least two meals out of a childrens meal????? That's crazy! It's when I hear things like that I think I should be tighter. I can definitely eat a whole meal- although I don't really eat in restaurants anymore, I just use my kids plates and load them up with veggies and and some protein. Slowly, my portions are increasing and slowly, my weight loss is slowing down. I just went down to check my band under fluoro and culd have had a free fill included at teh time and din't and now I wish I did. Darn!

Sabrina:)

xo

Robbyn,

Make sure you check that your card says 10 cc and not 10 cm because the 4 cc band is 10 cm's and you may actually have a 4 cc band. I knew someoene that thought there's was 10 cc cause of the 10 cm note on card and got 3 cc's at her first fill by accident!

Robbyn,

Make sure you check that your card says 10 cc and not 10 cm because the 4 cc band is 10 cm's and you may actually have a 4 cc band. I knew someoene that thought there's was 10 cc cause of the 10 cm note on card and got 3 cc's at her first fill by accident!

((((((((((((((((((Sabrina))))))))))))))))))))

Good point! I was surprised it was a 10cc band because my original doctor told me I would absolutely have the smaller band. I'll have to go check.

Wow!

You're doing so well!

I was feeling so crappy the day after ... i slept all day long!

(and my boyfriend went golfing at the course behind the Marriott!)

I felt so crappy, but I'm starting to think it's because I didn't move much afterwards ... I felt so knocked out, and achy all over.

The only real walking I did after, was in the hallway at the hotel, and I didn't meet/talk to ANYONE who was having surgery on my day.

I wish I had! :)

I"m so happy you're going so freakin' good!

You'll be home before you know it!!

xo

(((((((((((((Lindsay)))))))))))))))

There is a golf course behind the Marriott? Shhhhhh....don't tell my husband. He'll be upset he spent his down time on Facebook. lol

I remember you had a rough time with your flight home too.

I did meet several people with the same surgery day, in fact, we've all planned to have our fills on the same day as well. Which reminds me...I'm still thinking about the purse I didn't buy on Revolution Avenue so I'm anxious to go back.

I will mention that my first surgery attempt with a US surgeon did knock me out for days. I don't know if it was the reaction to the meds, or just state of being very mentally tired since I had planned to have a band and it didn't happen.

I know I was given a completely different cocktail this time, medication wise so to speak, to prevent the kind of reaction I had before...maybe that is what helped.

Robbyn,

(((((((((((((((((Sabrina)))))))))))))))))

I owe you big time! You were right.

Thank you thank you thank you.

It does say 10cm.

(((((((((((((((((Sabrina)))))))))))))))))

I owe you big time! You were right.

Thank you thank you thank you.

It does say 10cm.

heard from OCC our bands are Johnson & Johnson 10cm (size) 4cc (volume) sent my paperwork in for my fill.

so ready for it!