A little down, my lap band isnt working...?

Hi everyone,

Since i had my surgery in Feb 13th i have not lost any weight. I have had 4 fills or so. I have started feeling restriction a lot in the mornings but its not in the mornings i need the restriction its the rest of the day!

I feel like i still can eat everything else normally, pasta, tacos, all the junk i know i honestly shouldnt but pasta and Tacos.

I think my band isnt working or its broken or slipped etc but the dr assures me that its not slipped etc, i dont know how as he dosnt have xray vision!!!

Its been 3.5 months or 13-14 weeks :(

I need support or a cheer me up, anyone else in this slummy emotional feeling at the moment?

Experienced banders... how much fill did you need before you started losing weight?

I could really cry, i feel like ive ruined my body, scarred it and have pain everyday now and all for nothing.

Thanks for your support WB :(:((

Hi,

Are you having your fills done with floru? I know that having fills done under fluro is very precise. Maybe try that and have it done at a time of day when you normally feel no restriction.

Good luck & hang in there.

You say you've had four fills but how much are you filled? What size band do you have? Where are you going to get fills? Sometimes a particular doctor is more conservative than necessary for a variety of possible reasons. You may want to switch fill doctors and get another opinion.

I agree I would go to another doctor if you have one in the area. Sounds like they need to be more aggressive with your fills. Also, what kind of stuff are you eating. Make sure you are not on more slider foods and you are eating things that will stick with you and keep you full. If you are following all the bandster guidelines and still having trouble then i'd definitely find a new doctor.

Keep your chin up! Hopefully you will be able to find the answer and get on track!

I feel like i still can eat everything else normally, pasta, tacos, all the junk i know i honestly shouldnt but pasta and Tacos. You may feel this way, but that doesn't mean you should try out your theory. You have got to start measuring your portions and make sure that you are eating no more than a cup at a time. Follow the rules and start with the protein, then the veggies. I don't even bother putting carbs on my plate - most of the time.

I think my band isnt working or its broken or slipped etc but the dr assures me that its not slipped etc, i dont know how as he dosnt have xray vision!!! There are symptoms of a slipped band that I have not heard you mention. Unless you are following all of the rules, you really should not blame the band. It is in place to help you solve your weight problem, not take full responsibility and do it for you.

Are you getting in all of your water?

Are you exercising?

You were determined to have the band, now you have to be determined to utilize the band so as to make the transformation from a worm to a butterfly.

Maybe you're not getting enough during your fills. My friend wasn't losing weight with her band for almost a year and everytime she'd go to her doctor, he'd only put a few ccs in there. She finally switched doctors and found out that her band wasn't filled much. THis new doctor filled it and within 5 months she lost most of her weight. Her theory was that her first doctor wanted her to keep on coming back every month for fills , basically to make more money. one that's one possibility.

The other one is yes you can eat whatever you want as long as you chew it well but that doesn't mean you should. I asked my doctor about that and he said the band doesn't stop you from eating any type of food, but rather it restricts your portions. Are you drinking with your meals? because I before I joined this forum, I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to drink with my meals so when I would get a lump in my throat ( a sign that I'm full and should stop eating), I'd take sips of water, which would push the food down, and then I'd continue eating.

Watch your food for about a week and see if you notice a difference. Otherwise, get a second opinion.

Arianna

Hi everyone,

Since i had my surgery in Feb 13th i have not lost any weight. I have had 4 fills or so. I have started feeling restriction a lot in the mornings but its not in the mornings i need the restriction its the rest of the day!

I feel like i still can eat everything else normally, pasta, tacos, all the junk i know i honestly shouldnt but pasta and Tacos.

I think my band isnt working or its broken or slipped etc but the dr assures me that its not slipped etc, i dont know how as he dosnt have xray vision!!!

Its been 3.5 months or 13-14 weeks :(

I need support or a cheer me up, anyone else in this slummy emotional feeling at the moment?

Experienced banders... how much fill did you need before you started losing weight?

I could really cry, i feel like ive ruined my body, scarred it and have pain everyday now and all for nothing.

Thanks for your support WB :(:((

Hey girl..do you have a 10cc band? Cause you already have 5.5cc in your band already so I can't think that it would be a 4cc band. I have the 4cc band and I have 3cc in my band and this is the first time that I have good restiction. If that is the case you will need to be up to 8cc????for good restricition. I am just guessing. I think doing this next fill under fluoro is a great idea so that they can get it right and you can stop spending ????

Kim

Hey everyone,

Gosh your supportive so I thank you all!

I dont know what band I have so i will phone and ask today, I do know that its $120 per fill and so far thats become very costly! In Melbourne as far as i know there are only 2 drs that do the surgery, and mine is one of them, the people that do the fills are employed by him in his clinic and its a 3 week wait thats how busy they are for adjustments.

I dont know what Fluro is... when they fill me they dont have a light or anything like that if thats what Fluro is?

Ill phone them now and see if they can advise me on what band i have, i didnt know there where different sized ones.. You are all so very HELPFUL! THANK YOU!

xoxo

UPDATE:

Okay I just phoned them and the lapband I have is a (small) 10ml one... The brand is AP Lapband. They also gave me a serial number which i think wont be needed here...

I agree I would go to another doctor if you have one in the area. Sounds like they need to be more aggressive with your fills. Also, what kind of stuff are you eating. Make sure you are not on more slider foods and you are eating things that will stick with you and keep you full. If you are following all the bandster guidelines and still having trouble then i'd definitely find a new doctor.

Keep your chin up! Hopefully you will be able to find the answer and get on track!

I would get a check on your fill! Do not be down, it makes all of us sad that you feel so despondent. I agree with Clynn...none of us know what size band you have, how many fills, etc.

I just went in for another fill today (after having a different doc unfill me without approving how much), I know it will make the difference. Being on top of our fills is empowering and gives us all a sense of control. I love that! When I was 230lbs, I did not have that, now I do!

Get a fill, this band is like a porsche, at times it requires more maintenance than what we were expecting.

Forget the band ...

what are you putting in your mouth?

What are you eating?

I think a lot of us forget, that the band is only a tool.

it's not going to prevent us from eating crap we shouldn't be eating.

Lindsay - You seem to be a shoot from the hip kind of gal, and I can respect that. In that respect we have a lot in common. I would like to point out that although I feel you have a valid point, I think everyone here can understand the LACK of feeling restriction. Not to long ago you were asking about , how soon is too soon for another fill. This being said, I know you understand that and the urge for that helping hand we are all striving for. Not saying it is right, but I know for myself it is easier to be on the right path, in this case eat the right foods when things are going well.

All of us are at different levels of growth. What I mean by growth is nutrition, and living a healthy lifestyle. For me, I come here for support, and to learn about my personal journey that lies ahead. I come here for encouragement as well and to build friendships. You have posted some great information about nutrition, and so I know that you are more advanced in this area. I for one am grateful for you taking the time to educate me as well as others.

That being said, I am a newly banded person. I have been loosing weight slowly, or not at all. I have not felt the "restriction" so many speak of. At times this can be a real challenge for me. I am a beginner, I am doing my best to follow the rules to this new life style. Not drinking with meals, eating proteins first, keeping portion size in mind as well, and drinking water or liquids, taking a vitamin ect. I am also a person who educated myself on the lap band before the procedure. I have asked many questions, and read literature as well. ect ect That is why I come here to learn from others. Knowing all that I do, I am still my own worst enemy. I make poor choices that hender my weight loss. A good example of this would be, I am great during the day, then evening comes, and I faulter or stumble a bit. What is even worse, is I often, more times than not get up in the middle of the night and eat. Have done it for years, not an excuse, just the truth. I am like a complete addict. I have a supportive husband who has helped me during this night time cylce. I find myself getting edgy toward him and even sneak more in my pursuit of food. Crazy to want to stop something so bad, but still repeat that same behavior. When I go through cycles when I am not sleeping as well, I am my own best friend. I can for lack of better words gain control over my compulsion to eat by talking myself out of it. When I am in a heavier sleep, it is like I am not awake enough to remain in control of my impulses. This is a work in progess for me. I know whole heartedly I am killing my weight loss success. We all have different stories.

I consider myself a strong/weak person. I have a very strong personality much like yourself. Hence the reason I am typing this. I think it would be wise for all of us to remember we all vary in degrees of knowledge. It doesn't do anyone a bit of good to be scolded. I for one can scold myself better than anyone I know. I do recognize it takes all kinds of individuals to make a successful board, but a bit of tolerance and understanding go along way. When I read your email it seemed a harsh to me. Maybe I am taking what you are saying to much to heart because of my own struggles. Very possible. All I want to do is point out that we come here for help. We share out successes, milestones, and struggles. I know for one, if I put my truth out there and was met with a reply such as yours, I would feel like crap. When I feel bad, I tend to make self defeating choices. Personally I appreciate replies that are helpful, or that educate me. I once posted a qustion, and your reply was, do a search. That topic had been covered a billion times over most likely. Being a newbie, I had not a clue. I didn't even realize until you pointed it out that there was a search feature. You were awesome, and even linked a helpful thread for me. That is what I hope we all strive to do for each other on this board.

I hope you can see what I am saying here.

Well wishes,

Angie

Linday, I think to forget the band would be a rather silly thing to do.

As for what am i putting in my mouth... as mentioned I feel my band isnt giving me any restriction its almost as if its not even there. So what am i putting in my mouth can range from everything that I almost used too.

We are or were

over weight or we wouldnt have had this operation.

Do you think that I have this sort of natural control to stop eating (self control)? And if you think I do wouldnt I be slim in the first place and not need a band... :) Hence the question for me is not what am i putting in my mouth... its why am i feeling no restriction. I appreciate you replied but I feel you didnt read my question, which I guess can happen from time to time.

But I dont think 'forgetting the lapband' is the key. (I wish it would feel like it was there!) ;)

Yes, i do tend to say it a bit too bluntly at times ....

But diet is KEY.

#1.

You can exercise. But if you're diet isn't dialed in, you're losing 80-85% of your results.

Any figure or bodybuilder will tell you this.

;)

Now let me step off that soap box ....

On the original topic, which I obviously was too busy shooting my mouth off to catch,

I personally did feel restriction after my first fill, which was 1cc, in my 4cc band ...

but it wasn't anything like I'd heard people describe on here. I could still get away (easily) binge eating, which is my personal downfall.

Even after my second fill, which was another full 1cc, I still felt very little restriction. Every so often if I ate far too quickly, I'd get the senstation of having to burp really badly, but that was it.

It's only been since my last fill (I'm currently at 2.5cc's) that I"m noticing a HUGE difference.

In fact, since I've received my last 1/2cc fill on Monday, my intake of food has decrease by more than half -and of course, the scale reflects that.

My fill nurse refused to give me a full cc during my last fill, and I'm happy she did.

I'm still getting used to this '2 bites, then you'll full' feeling, which is the most obscure feeling -

and the feeling we've all paid big bucks to feel.

:)

I hope this answers your question better than my first response.

I was told every 2 weeks, is the max we should be going in for a fill, so just hang in there, and keep your time line in check.

You don't want to keep digressing all of the progress you're making.

You barely have anything in your band, but that's okay!

Just keep going in for your fills, as scheduled every few weeks.

Did we determine how big your band was, and how much it holds?

This is very important information to know, so you can understand your restriction time line.

Lindsay//

xo//

Hey everyone,

Gosh your supportive so I thank you all!

I dont know what band I have so i will phone and ask today, I do know that its $120 per fill and so far thats become very costly! In Melbourne as far as i know there are only 2 drs that do the surgery, and mine is one of them, the people that do the fills are employed by him in his clinic and its a 3 week wait thats how busy they are for adjustments.

I dont know what Fluro is... when they fill me they dont have a light or anything like that if thats what Fluro is?

Ill phone them now and see if they can advise me on what band i have, i didnt know there where different sized ones.. You are all so very HELPFUL! THANK YOU!

xoxo

UPDATE:

Okay I just phoned them and the lapband I have is a (small) 10ml one... The brand is AP Lapband. They also gave me a serial number which i think wont be needed here...

Hey Lindsay,

As mentioned above my band is the 10ml one, and i have 5cc in it.

I cant wait to feel fuller, thats for sure, that is what i meant.

xx